Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 916 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Nope. You are wrong. I was mildly in favor of the Big 12 unless it was basketball only or flat revenue. It turned out it was on both counts, and the networks still didn’t want us.
You have zero idea what revenues were being discussed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Please walk me through how there would have been any material economic gain from the move over the five year stretch
The number I saw talked about for the big 12 was 15 M for us. That's less than a half share. That would make an increase of 9 million a year, actually probably more, but that's a convenient number, so that our $15 million exit fee would've been been paid in two years.

Keep in mind that that doesn't take into account the potential receipt of college football playoff money, a full share of which would be worth $15 million on its own. Granted we certainly wouldn't be entitled to that prior to 2031, but we would be on a path to attain it.

Reaction Score
If this is true then Benedict fumbled bad. Hopefully it’s not or wildly blown out of proportion. If not. This is very bad. Like go find a new job bad.

This reads like smear campaign type stuff. We have done this presentation how many times now? The last time we saw the leaked presentations it was clearly the best one.

Yeah… he’s farming.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah… he’s farming.

Feels like someone at the Big 12 is fishing for a response from UConn that will start a pissing war. I suspect that whoever was the source on this quote is being smoked out on the Big 12 side because it is a very bad look for the league and insulting to Yormark.

Whoever is the source of that quote is publicly slapping Yormark in the face. Not someplace anyone in the Big 12 wants to be right now.

Edit: or Reinhart made up the whole story.

Reaction Score
Feels like someone at the Big 12 is fishing for a response from UConn that will start a pissing war. I suspect that whoever was the source on this quote is being smoked out on the Big 12 side because it is a very bad look for the league and insulting to Yormark.

Whoever is the source of that quote is publicly slapping Yormark in the face. Not someplace anyone in the Big 12 wants to be right now.

Edit: or Reinhart made up the whole story.
Same guy that tweeted Hurley to LA is a done deal ‘per a source’

Reaction Score
The state legislature is not going to earmark money for the athletic department. With tuition at Uconn going up every year- there would be huge public outcry and would actually have the opposite effect of trying to boost Uconn athletics.

Reaction Score
That’s made up nonsense. No chance any of that happened. We have no attendance issue with basketball, no chance we produced crappy, error ridden materials and no chance our academics were an issue. We’d be the best academic institution in the B12.

It’s really ridiculous info and totally bogus.

Reaction Score
Same guy that tweeted Hurley to LA is a done deal ‘per a source’
Alright so I looked into it more and he's not a real person. They're flying a little close to the sun though. Reporting a bogus trade is one thing. This is getting into sketchier territory

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That’s made up nonsense. No chance any of that happened. We have no attendance issue with basketball, no chance we produced crappy, error ridden materials and no chance our academics were an issue. We’d be the best academic institution in the B12.

It’s really ridiculous info and totally bogus.

And there is no way that any AD staffer would ever give Reinhart that quote, even on background. If that person was ever caught, his career in sports management would be over. Reinhart made it up.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I wasn't really excited about the Sammis promotion. I'm just not sure how much of that is budget related and how much of that is the notion that we aren't a good job. I suppose either way it could be fixed with money.
Timing? Giving the guy a chance?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The number I saw talked about for the big 12 was 15 M for us. That's less than a half share. That would make an increase of 9 million a year, actually probably more, but that's a convenient number, so that our $15 million exit fee would've been been paid in two years.

Keep in mind that that doesn't take into account the potential receipt of college football playoff money, a full share of which would be worth $15 million on its own. Granted we certainly wouldn't be entitled to that prior to 2031, but we would be on a path to attain it.
Show me where the $15mm was a firm number. All I saw were a handful of wild ass guesses on what we would receive.

The figure I used in my example was the figure from the post I quoted.

One significant reason that I am not currently on the ledge many from this site are currently occupying is that I did not view this round as make or break for our programs. If we improve football we will be fine. If we don't, we won't. Spending the next half dozen years under our current situation is not materially different than if we received the partial B-12 invitation.

Reaction Score
I agree have to be half way decent in football in a few years. Basketball will be fine in the BE for now. But we had 5 years to fix football and that should still be the plan.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Also, the report was that we'd get 4 football games a year against Big XII teams, which would completely change our schedule as an independent, would help recruiting and would likely have increased home attendance. If it was $15m and 4 games that easily makes financial sense.

Reaction Score
I don't know if we're going to have a choice. When revenue sharing kicks in we will have to put all of that towards basketball. How will we compete in football without real dollars coming in from a conference and CFP money?
Nobody has answered this.

Reaction Score
The bottom line is that UConn needs to increase investment in football. The key question is how? My suggestions:

1) Reallocate expenses in the athletic department towards football.

2) Appoint a group to focus on raising money for football.

Reaction Score
If they cut football they are gonna halve the athletic department budget and it will affect basketball, tremendously.

How many ncaa champions last 50 years didn’t play football?

Outside of Villanova and UConn (1999) no other program that isn’t in top tier football has won since 1984.
UConn technically has football but it certainly has brought zero success to our basketball program. You can say the same for Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, Nova, UNC. The overwhelming majority of basketball national championships are won by the basketball schools.

Reaction Score
Show me where the $15mm was a firm number. All I saw were a handful of wild ass guesses on what we would receive.

The figure I used in my example was the figure from the post I quoted.

One significant reason that I am not currently on the ledge many from this site are currently occupying is that I did not view this round as make or break for our programs. If we improve football we will be fine. If we don't, we won't. Spending the next half dozen years under our current situation is not materially different than if we received the partial B-12 invitation.
I think that is what is annoying many here including myself is that the bar for football as far as what the fans demand and what would facilitate a Big 12 invite is so low and yet the football program keeps tripping over it.

Reaction Score
If this is true then Benedict fumbled bad. Hopefully it’s not or wildly blown out of proportion. If not. This is very bad. Like go find a new job bad.

Good Lord.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom