Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 914 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
The rumored money that we were never offered? Why not just make it $1 trillion a game if we are going to just pull numbers out of butts?
the guy who's constantly regaling us with his imaginary dystopian world of future college athletics demands concrete data down to the red cent for this particular item.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is the funniest thing to me. They always listen to the networks. That's what's driven it forever. And now they decide not to?

They just don't like us. It's pretty simple.

I would not read this as all good news for the Big 12. When Fox and ESPN blew up the Pac 12, they put themselves in the position of having to save the Big 12. The Big 12 is a Frankenconference that will have a tough time garnering support from casual fans that is needed to drive ratings and subscriptions. Fox did not want to make the Big 12 into a bigger Frankenconference.

FOX didn’t want it to happen. And why would they? They have the new Big East contract for pennies on the dollar.

Fox could have just renegotiated the Big East deal if UConn left, so it may have been neutral to Fox. Fox just likes UConn in the Big East.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Put football in the MAC for now if we can, it would be a huge improvement. At present time we are a G5 team and we should play a G5 schedule.

Being the best G5 team or at least the best team in the MAC is a realistic goal, trying to beat P4 teams is not a realistic goal. If a G5 tournament becomes a thing we should strive to be in it.
Absolutely not.

Reaction Score
UConn leadership has played stupid games for football since Edsall left for MD. Five presidents. Three ADs. Pasqualoni. Fiasco. Edsall 2.0. Shoestring budget. Too stringent admissions and on and on

As the saying goes. Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes.

And yet us realignment Stockholm syndrome victims still care

Reaction Score
UConn leadership has played stupid games for football since Edsall left for MD. Five presidents. Three ADs. Pasqualoni. Fiasco. Edsall 2.0. Shoestring budget. Too stringent admissions and on and on

Again 100 percent agreement. Benedict came from an SEC school but football has slid backwards on his watch.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

And yet us realignment Stockholm syndrome victims still care

UConn to the Big 12 was a bad fit, especially with all the chaos in college athletics. I was modestly in favor if we made a lot more money, which was also probably just a Boneyard created fantasy.

And BCU is responsible for everything bad that has ever happened to UConn in realignment.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
If that's opinion then fine but I did proudly wear my Hook C baseball hat around campus for what its worth.
I have 2 UConn golf hats, one blue and one gray. The blue one is my dress hat, so it gets almost worn everywhere. The gray one is the golf hat and only gets worn on the course. I didn't want to filthy up both. If I leave the state, I primarily bring UC shirts. Kudos to you for repping in hostile territory.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You can’t firewall basketball. That is the point. Money from football is gonna pour in to basketball from other schools.

Thst is going to create a competitive disadvantage for UConn if epic proportions, and, it also leaves UConn exposed as an athletic department. Right now, UConn has muscle because hoops wins. But, it has no say in what comes of the ncaa tourney or how the leagues will be set up and money distributed in the future.

There is no guarantee the big east will be a major basketball power in the future. They have killed the conference twice 04 and 13…and will do it again if they can find a way.

BTW. For the first time in realignment history college presidents decided not to listen to their marketing, financial analysis, and even espn but went with something else.

UConn is always a first.
I am really not sure that the UConn fans, even here, appreciate the extent to which paying Hurley and Geno and investing in facilities etc. is meant to be a means to getting UConn into Big XII/ACC. If that avenue is foreclosed, permanently by a move to FCS for example, they won't keep supporting the basketball program at this level either.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am really not sure that the UConn fans, even here, appreciate the extent to which paying Hurley and Geno and investing in facilities etc. is meant to be a means to getting UConn into Big XII/ACC. If that avenue is foreclosed, permanently by a move to FCS for example, they won't keep supporting the basketball program at this level either.

I am not sure that the college football fans, even here, appreciate the extent to which that sport is leaning over a cliff, and it is a long way down.

College basketball is a relatively easy sport to run at a profit. College football is going to be insanely profitable for about 10-15 schools, and lose money hand over fist for everyone else.

Reaction Score
If #1 happens then we can cut quite a few non rev programs as well.
“Can cut” as if this is some great opportunity. Some of you are unbelievable. I, for one, like that UConn has been able to offer student athletes the opportunity to continue playing their sport and represent our university. This is a sad (but predictable) day for our athletic department.

Reaction Score
go post this crap on a big12 board

Reaction Score
They won’t be able to.

Reaction Score
Are you saying we shouldn’t pay top dollar for Hurley and Geno? You want to become 100% irrelevant?

Reaction Score
“Can cut” as if this is some great opportunity. Some of you are unbelievable. I, for one, like that UConn has been able to offer student athletes the opportunity to continue playing their sport and represent our university. This is a sad (but predictable) day for our athletic department.
With all due respect if football is cut, several other programs will be as well.

GG

Reaction Score
One day the basketball fans who were against this move are going to realize what a mistake they have made. There is no future in the big east. It is really disturbing that very few people can recognize that. We’ve basically sealed the fate of our athletic department, which will be its demise.

Reaction Score
With all due respect if football is cut, several other programs will be as well.
Totally get that. But “have to cut” and “can cut” have totally different meanings.

Cutting sports is never a good thing. I don’t understand the victory laps I’m seeing. There are tons of people that have dedicated time, effort and resources over decades to these programs.

Reaction Score
a state flagship without football is incredibly small time, especially one like UConn who's trying to position themselves nationally to be a best of the best type of institution. What's sadder is there's fans who want us to be in that position and stuck in that small time conference.

Reaction Score
One day the basketball fans who were against this move are going to realize what a mistake they have made. There is no future in the big east. It is really disturbing that very few people can recognize that. We’ve basically sealed the fate of our athletic department, which will be its demise.
Why do people keep saying this as if UConn was the one to decline the offer? Not sure how people can read all the reports coming out and blame UConn fans when it's pretty evident there was never a concensus within the B12 to expand and was always going to be a long shot.

Reaction Score
Totally get that. But “have to cut” and “can cut” have totally different meanings.

Cutting sports is never a good thing. I don’t understand the victory laps I’m seeing. There are tons of people that have dedicated time, effort and resources over decades to these programs.
there's a lot of nostalgia buffs who love our current situation due to the conference name, even though the conference is a pale comparison to what it once was.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Are you saying we shouldn’t pay top dollar for Hurley and Geno? You want to become 100% irrelevant?
I'm simply saying the reason UConn has been on board with paying them top dollar, and investing facilities is because they have told the President/Board that it's the only way we get into a P4 conference and solve our AD issues long term. It's less likely that they'd be willing to do it if that is off the table.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day most people just have no idea what they’re talking about. Half the people not wanting to leave probably don’t recognize the big east is different today than it was in the 80s

GG

Reaction Score
Why do people keep saying this as if UConn was the one to decline the offer? Not sure how people can read all the reports coming out and blame UConn fans when it's pretty evident there was never a concensus within the B12 to expand and was always going to be a long shot.
Do you think it looks good when a vast majority of our fans are going online and railing against this move? Or when CT senators make statements like Chris Murphy did? None of this helped us, and I do not understand why people deny the reality of our situation. Husky fans foolishly looked a gift horse in the mouth. Enjoy the next couple of years. Once Dan and Geno are gone, we are screwed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A pretty big name because he coached in the NFL and because of his father but it looks to be another terrible hire.
It's only year three and he managed to get us to a bowl in year one. Additionally, last year's record had many games in which we were a score away from winning. if our starting quarterback doesn't get injured maybe that's the difference.

This year we are one game in and we got a beat down by an opponent who was decidedly better than us. I don't think I'm quite ready to call a hit out on the guy yet.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom