Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 885 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
If Yormark wants this. It's happening.
It's not that simple. But it would be quite odd for the votes to not have already been favorably lined up (at least conditionally) in order for Benedict and Toscano to be meeting with Big12 presidents. It seems unlikely that the meeting's purpose is for the AD and the Board Chairman to convince a handful of dissenting Presidents. That'd be strange business. In the past handful of years, the Big12 has expanded twice by 4 schools each time. They seem to have solid business practices. To not manage the UConn situation effectively and fairly for the hopeful candidate would be counter to how they've handled their affairs recently.

Reaction Score

What exactly is the “risk”??? Us having a below average football team? Why does that even really matter when the winner of the conference is essentially assured a top 4 seed in the CFP. It’s not like basketball where it’s going to hurt the conferences metrics and thus March madness bids. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's not that simple. But it would be quite odd for the votes to not have already been favorably lined up (at least conditionally) in order for Benedict and Toscano to be meeting with Big12 presidents. It seems unlikely that the meeting's purpose is for the AD and the Board Chairman to convince a handful of dissenting Presidents. That'd be strange business. In the past handful of years, the Big12 has expanded twice by 4 schools each time. They seem to have solid business practices. To not manage the UConn situation effectively and fairly for the hopeful candidate would be counter to how they've handled their affairs recently.
Benedict and Toscano met with the athletic directors. As far as I know, they did not meet with the Presidents. Yormark is meeting with the Presidents this week.

What is odd to me is that Benedict didn't make a presentation last year. Why this year? Could it be that we had the votes last year (until the PAC 12 schools became available) but didn't this year with the Four Corners schools? So the Benedict and Toscano presentation was an attempt to sway them?

I think it looks bad for Yormark if he can't get the votes after it's been out in the press. Maybe that is why the story was leaked by a couple of UConn fans? Hoping it would push the Presidents not to embarrass Yormark? It looks bad for UConn, too, if the Presidents don't approve it.

Reaction Score
Benedict and Toscano met with the athletic directors. As far as I know, they did not meet with the Presidents. Yormark is meeting with the Presidents this week.
Agree and reports are that Benedict and Toscano are going to meet with the presidents on Tuesday.

What is odd to me is that Benedict didn't make a presentation last year. Why this year? Could it be that we had the votes last year (until the PAC 12 schools became available) but didn't this year with the Four Corners schools? So the Benedict and Toscano presentation was an attempt to sway them?
I don't think whether Benedict made a presentation or not last year was reported on. Supposedly UConn officials went to sleep thinking they were to be accepted that fateful evening the the four corner schools agreed to go to the Big12, so either way the ball was on the one foot line.

I think it looks bad for Yormark if he can't get the votes after it's been out in the press. Maybe that is why the story was leaked by a couple of UConn fans? Hoping it would push the Presidents not to embarrass Yormark? It looks bad for UConn, too, if the Presidents don't approve it.
Agreed that there'll be a lot of egg on many faces if this is not a go.

Reaction Score
Agree and reports are that Benedict and Toscano are going to meet with the presidents on Tuesday.
I don't think this is correct. Do you have a source for this?

According to McMurphy:

"Last week, UConn officials met in Dallas with Big 12 athletic directors. UConn “showcased how it would build in the future leading up to 2031 and invest more in football,” a source said.

Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark, who has been enamored by UConn’s basketball program and its Northeast media market, is expected to make a presentation to the Big 12’s presidents, who must approve any expansion additions."

According to Dellenger:

In a marriage that could bring together arguably the country’s strongest basketball conference and perhaps the nation’s best hoops program, UConn officials visited with Big 12 athletic administrators in Dallas last week. Though nothing is imminent, the in-person presentation is a sign of the serious nature of the discussions.

Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark is set to make a similar presentation to the league's presidents next week. Expansion requires a three-fourths vote, or 12 of the 16 members.

Sources: UConn, Big 12 in serious negotiations about Huskies joining as newest expansion member

Pete Thamel:

The talks have advanced to the point where UConn athletic director David Benedict and board chair Daniel Toscano met with Big 12 athletic directors in person in Dallas last week to make their case, sources told ESPN. The conversations centered around football funding and how UConn could be competitive upon joining the league in 2031, sources said.

A Big 12 board call is being planned for next week with the league's presidents that would lay out the specific deal points, according to sources.

Sources: UConn in early talks for joining Big 12

Reaction Score
Radenka Marić - suspect it’s unlikely Benedict and Toscano directly meet with Big 12 presidents without Marić
Are you saying that Maric is going to talk or meet with Big 12 Presidents? Do you have a source for this?

I agree it would be helpful if she did.

Reaction Score
I don't think this is correct. Do you have a source for this?

According to McMurphy:

"Last week, UConn officials met in Dallas with Big 12 athletic directors. UConn “showcased how it would build in the future leading up to 2031 and invest more in football,” a source said.

Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark, who has been enamored by UConn’s basketball program and its Northeast media market, is expected to make a presentation to the Big 12’s presidents, who must approve any expansion additions."

According to Dellenger:

In a marriage that could bring together arguably the country’s strongest basketball conference and perhaps the nation’s best hoops program, UConn officials visited with Big 12 athletic administrators in Dallas last week. Though nothing is imminent, the in-person presentation is a sign of the serious nature of the discussions.

Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark is set to make a similar presentation to the league's presidents next week. Expansion requires a three-fourths vote, or 12 of the 16 members.

Sources: UConn, Big 12 in serious negotiations about Huskies joining as newest expansion member

Pete Thamel:

The talks have advanced to the point where UConn athletic director David Benedict and board chair Daniel Toscano met with Big 12 athletic directors in person in Dallas last week to make their case, sources told ESPN. The conversations centered around football funding and how UConn could be competitive upon joining the league in 2031, sources said.

A Big 12 board call is being planned for next week with the league's presidents that would lay out the specific deal points, according to sources.

Sources: UConn in early talks for joining Big 12
My bad, I conflated last week's meeting attendees and this week's meeting.

Reaction Score

Over the weekend, we went from hearing that UConn had the votes and that a move was imminent, with some even celebrating as if it were a done deal, to now seeing everyone, including ESPN, quoting university presidents saying it's far from happening and still premature. More podcasts and experts are now suggesting it might not happen in this round or even for a long time. It's deflating to see such heavy contradictions after all the initial hype.

On a side note he hammers home the point that its not about football. Its about protecting all of the sports and that Geno and Hurley are fully on board for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Are you saying that Maric is going to talk or meet with Big 12 Presidents? Do you have a source for this?

I agree it would be helpful if she did.
Personally, While I'm sure Maric needs to be there, I hope she leaves the negotiating to Toscano. It's not one of her strong points.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Mindboggling if the B12 does this to UConn for a 3rd time.

I wont believe it
Won't believe that they will take us or won't believe that they'll publicly yank us around yet again?

Reaction Score
I’m feeling pretty uneasy about it. There seems to be consensus “?” on the logic of the move from sports journalists and pundits. I think the tricky part is convincing a football first league to take the leap of faith on a move that doesn’t benefit them currently. It just seems the same arguments that prevent uconn from finding a chair when the music stops keep popping up every single time. Having said that, this is the most legit shot we have compared to say last year or a few years ago. I can see it happening, I can see a swift kick in the nuts. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out

Reaction Score
I’m feeling pretty uneasy about it. There seems to be consensus “?” on the logic of the move from sports journalists and pundits. I think the tricky part is convincing a football first league to take the leap of faith on a move that doesn’t benefit them currently. It just seems the same arguments that prevent uconn from finding a chair when the music stops keep popping up every single time. Having said that, this is the most legit shot we have compared to say last year or a few years ago. I can see it happening, I can see a swift kick in the nuts. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out

“Interesting“ is a unique perspective. My feeling is I’ve been kicked in the nuts too many times, but I feel like a junkie coming back to this page again and again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom