Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 88 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
It's over when we no longer spend enough money to get quality coaching. As long as we are committed and will pay market for a real coach, we are not dead.

Well we are paying for it anyway

Reaction Score
Stewart MandelVerified account‏@slmandel 4h4 hours ago
Pat Fitzgerald said Big Ten coaches voted 14-0 AGAINST going to nine league games. "But hey, we do what we're told."

ME: Wow! Including Edsel and Flood? I thought they loved playing B1G opponents. :cool:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Pat Fitzgerald said Big Ten coaches voted 14-0 AGAINST going to nine league games. "But hey, we do what we're told."

ME: Wow! Including Edsel and Flood? I thought they loved playing B1G opponents. :cool:

Looks like the coaches agree with me.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

If it's true that the B1G won't allow games against FCS teams going forward, the entire Rutgers scheduling model will be in disarray.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
We have eternity to wonder why we have New Hampshire's athletic program. No point in burning too much energy on it now.

Says the man with 13,000 posts on this site. Addicted?

Reaction Score
Warde sucks. He loafs around the Bahamas while Jurich is tearing it up on Tobacco Road. He starts a pissing match with Calhoun and has Ollie sweating out a contract while UConn is in a critical stage of expansion. And then he hires a train wreck of a football coach. I would say Manuel is 0-3.

Everyone in the Big East ended up MUCH better off than before except for UConn, Cincinnati and USF. But it is nobody's fault. Whatever. We have eternity to wonder why we have New Hampshire's athletic program. No point in burning too much energy on it now.

I Met Warde once, and yes, it was next to a snack table; but, hey, I can often be found next to the bar, not judging. I found it to be intelligent and very aware of UConns' place in the college sports world.

He was hired in February of 2012, Maryland bolted for the B1G in November of 2012 and the ACC invites Louisville a few weeks later. University relationships takes years to develop and Warde was on the job less than 10 months. Yes, he does share some of the blame in that folks in Storrs assumed that UConn would be next to the ACC. Heck, even ESPN and CBS were saying such. UConn underestimated the small minds on Chestnut Hill and the ACC's own internal division between the football first and basketball first schools. Plus, the NCAA's vendetta against Calhoun culminated in the summer of 2012 weakened UConn's biggest asset (Syracuse pointing out how UConn cheats as a reason not to vote for UConn is just a tad irksome). That's on Hathaway and Calhoun (great coach, just rubs people the wrong way). Very little Warde could do there. Jurich market Louisville better; but, how much did that really change anything?

Diaco is TBD. This is a big season for him and UConn football.

Cavanaugh appears to have been a home run.

As for basketball, everyone gets into a pissing match with Calhoun. A great coach; but, one of the reasons that the NCAA hammered UConn (and not UNC, Syracuse, etc.) is because he basically flipped Emmert & company off (they deserved it; but have to be smarter than that).After everything that happened, Warde had to make it look like he and UConn was in charge, not Calhoun. Calhoun basically forced Ollie on UConn as its new head coach. Warrde and/or Herbst did the best thing possible, respected Calhoun by allowing Ollie to be coach; but, made Ollie prove himself. And prove himself he did on and off the court.

Reaction Score
I Met Warde once, and yes, it was next to a snack table; but, hey, I can often be found next to the bar, not judging. I found it to be intelligent and very aware of UConns' place in the college sports world.

Apologies, my computer froze before I could finish...

Warde was hired in February of 2012, Maryland bolted for the B1G in November of 2012 and the ACC invited Louisville a few weeks later. University relationships takes years to develop and Warde was on the job less than 10 months. Yes, he does share some of the blame in that folks in Storrs assumed that UConn would be next to the ACC. Heck, even ESPN and CBS were saying such. UConn underestimated the small minds on Chestnut Hill and the ACC's own internal division between the football first and basketball first schools. Plus, the NCAA's vendetta against Calhoun culminated in the summer of 2012 and weakened UConn's biggest asset (Syracuse pointing out how UConn cheats as a reason not to vote for UConn is just a tad irksome). Most of that falls on Hathaway. Yes, Jurich did a better job marketing Louisville. But, how much did that really change things? BC was voting against UConn whether Warde was the AD or Pope John Paull II was the AD. Ditto for Florida St, Clemson & Miami who did not want another basketball centric, northeastern school. Unless Syracuse figures out how to get their campus closer to NYC than UConn’s, they were voting against us, too. Pitt owed BC and Syracuse big time and followed their lead. That’s 6 ‘no’ votes before Warde even has a chance to say a word. UConn could not overcome that. Jurich just convinced the ACC to take Louisville after UConn was already off the table.

As for basketball, everyone gets into a pissing match with Calhoun. A great coach; but, one of the reasons that the NCAA hammered UConn (and not UNC, Syracuse, etc.) is because he basically flipped Emmert & company off (they deserved it; but have to be smarter than that).After everything that happened, Warde had to make it look like he and UConn was in charge, not Calhoun. Calhoun basically forced Ollie on UConn as its new head coach. Warde and/or Herbst did the best thing possible, respected Calhoun by allowing Ollie to be coach; but, made Ollie prove himself. And prove himself he did on and off the court.

Reaction Score
Very level headed reply and explanation. I hope after 3 years on the job he has been able to network and improve UConn's chances. One question. Are the nay votes at that time public information or is this an assumption? I believe that FSU, BC, Clemson, and Miami would definitely be no's, but I never actually saw the voting results, if indeed their was even a vote! I believe in the last go round, the ACC was told by FSU that they would leave unless Louisville was added. That determined the outcome of the vote, if there even was one.

Reaction Score
Apologies, my computer froze before I could finish...

Warde was hired in February of 2012, Maryland bolted for the B1G in November of 2012 and the ACC invited Louisville a few weeks later. University relationships takes years to develop and Warde was on the job less than 10 months. Yes, he does share some of the blame in that folks in Storrs assumed that UConn would be next to the ACC. Heck, even ESPN and CBS were saying such. UConn underestimated the small minds on Chestnut Hill and the ACC's own internal division between the football first and basketball first schools. Plus, the NCAA's vendetta against Calhoun culminated in the summer of 2012 and weakened UConn's biggest asset (Syracuse pointing out how UConn cheats as a reason not to vote for UConn is just a tad irksome). Most of that falls on Hathaway. Yes, Jurich did a better job marketing Louisville. But, how much did that really change things? BC was voting against UConn whether Warde was the AD or Pope John Paull II was the AD. Ditto for Florida St, Clemson & Miami who did not want another basketball centric, northeastern school. Unless Syracuse figures out how to get their campus closer to NYC than UConn’s, they were voting against us, too. Pitt owed BC and Syracuse big time and followed their lead. That’s 6 ‘no’ votes before Warde even has a chance to say a word. UConn could not overcome that. Jurich just convinced the ACC to take Louisville after UConn was already off the table.

As for basketball, everyone gets into a pissing match with Calhoun. A great coach; but, one of the reasons that the NCAA hammered UConn (and not UNC, Syracuse, etc.) is because he basically flipped Emmert & company off (they deserved it; but have to be smarter than that).After everything that happened, Warde had to make it look like he and UConn was in charge, not Calhoun. Calhoun basically forced Ollie on UConn as its new head coach. Warde and/or Herbst did the best thing possible, respected Calhoun by allowing Ollie to be coach; but, made Ollie prove himself. And prove himself he did on and off the court.
This is as good an outline as I have seen.
I would add the ACC BB schools who supported us were somewhat placated by the fact that UConn's only option was the ACC.
Even on this board folks like me who thought the B1G was a possibility were shot down completely.
The Administation's objectives since then have seemed to try to get us into a B1G worthy state

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
By far and away the biggest mistake Warde has made to date was not relieving PP of his duties off the 2012 season.

It was clear it wasn't going to work and those four games it took to pull the trigger set UConn back 2 years in the rebuild.

Reaction Score
By far and away the biggest mistake Warde has made to date was not relieving PP of his duties off the 2012 season.

It was clear it wasn't going to work and those four games it took to pull the trigger set UConn back 2 years in the rebuild.

In hindsight, I agree. My default is to give an administration three years to prove themselves, unless it is a train wreck. I really did not know the extent of the train wreck after Year 2, so I was not surprised Warde let him start Year 3. One can argue that Warde, being closer to the program than me, should have realized the program was going in the wrong direction and pulled the plug in the off-season. Yes, the jury is still out on Diaco. I'm hoping Warde learned a lesson and does a realistic assessment of the program's direction after this year. Diaco may earn a third year even if we go 0-12 (although I doubt it). Conversely, we could make a bowl but be headed in the wrong direction (also very unlikely). The key will be making an accurate assessment of where we are headed.

For the record, I very strongly think we ARE headed in the right direction. I truly believe we will see that this year. I admit, though, that last year's performances have me spooked.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In hindsight, I agree. My default is to give an administration three years to prove themselves, unless it is a train wreck. I really did not know the extent of the train wreck after Year 2, so I was not surprised Warde let him start Year 3. One can argue that Warde, being closer to the program than me, should have realized the program was going in the wrong direction and pulled the plug in the off-season. Yes, the jury is still out on Diaco. I'm hoping Warde learned a lesson and does a realistic assessment of the program's direction after this year. Diaco may earn a third year even if we go 0-12 (although I doubt it). Conversely, we could make a bowl but be headed in the wrong direction (also very unlikely). The key will be making an accurate assessment of where we are headed.

For the record, I very strongly think we ARE headed in the right direction. I truly believe we will see that this year. I admit, though, that last year's performances have me spooked.

I normally would as well but it was clear it wasn't going to work and literally everyone knew it. If Warde didn't that's a bad sign for him..:

They should have been fired for cause when they sent CW out wide...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The key unknown is whether he actually broached the subject and was rebuffed by PP BOT Supporters (LM, etal).

Fair point. He doesn't work in a vaccum and was still somewhat new.

Reaction Score

I agree the PP mistake was completly apparent by the end of 2012. ( Some would put the date at 2010)A football guy like Warde I'm sure was also convinced of it. But he was a recent hire and a PP buyout would have been costly and require the full support othe adminstation
Even in 2013 PP still had his supporters on the Board.
I'm interested to know why you think there was such a huge quantitative difference between 2012 or 2013?
Especially in view of the way 2013 ended. It looked like we found our long sought QB.
Predictions for 2014 were fairly optimistic.
Other than recruiting I would like to hear your thoughts on the advantages.

For those who find an exercise reviewing your past mistakes as a silly waste of time. I completely understand nothing we could do can change past events. However ,an honest review of past mistakes is a necessity for avoidance of future mistakes.
AZ first law of error

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

He was hired in February of 2012, Maryland bolted for the B1G in November of 2012 and the ACC invites Louisville a few weeks later. University relationships takes years to develop and Warde was on the job less than 10 months. Yes, he does share some of the blame in that folks in Storrs assumed that UConn would be next to the ACC. Heck, even ESPN and CBS were saying such. UConn underestimated the small minds on Chestnut Hill and the ACC's own internal division between the football first and basketball first schools. Plus, the NCAA's vendetta against Calhoun culminated in the summer of 2012 weakened UConn's biggest asset (Syracuse pointing out how UConn cheats as a reason not to vote for UConn is just a tad irksome). That's on Hathaway and Calhoun (great coach, just rubs people the wrong way). Very little Warde could do there. Jurich market Louisville better; but, how much did that really change anything?

As for basketball, everyone gets into a pissing match with Calhoun. A great coach; but, one of the reasons that the NCAA hammered UConn (and not UNC, Syracuse, etc.) is because he basically flipped Emmert & company off (they deserved it; but have to be smarter than that).After everything that happened, Warde had to make it look like he and UConn was in charge, not Calhoun. Calhoun basically forced Ollie on UConn as its new head coach. Warrde and/or Herbst did the best thing possible, respected Calhoun by allowing Ollie to be coach; but, made Ollie prove himself. And prove himself he did on and off the court.
A very rational post... But Nelson, like much in CR, is anything but rational. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom