Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 720 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
It depends on how we define doable. Can UConn crack the small group of schools that actually compete for championships in football? No. Just like most of the P5 can't either, even if every now and then one of them lucks into a brilliant season. Can UConn become a K-State level program? Yeah, that's about the ceiling, I think. Regular bowl participation, challenge for league title once in a while. Even that is hard. Harder still as an independent. If it was easy, everyone would do it. Somebody has to lose every game.

Basketball is easier to do, but still not easy. The number of schools with multiple championships since the tournament went to 64 in 1985 is 7 by my count. UNC, Duke, KU, UK, UConn, Nova, Florida. Louisville if you include 2013, and I suppose if you don't, Michigan would be on the list. So in almost 40 years, 8 teams have done it.
Michigan has no claim for 2013, they shouldn't have even gotten their one championship against Seton Hall.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You know there are people who do exist who find CFB boring, right?
I am fully aware. I've also run into a large number of people over the years who (at a point in the time) found college basketball boring. The reasons (excuses) many make about college football being boring normally begin as a comparison to the NFL and are very similar to the arguments I've heard about college basketball vs the NBA.

I've taken quite a few who found college basketball boring to games over the decades (just as I have for football). Some come around and try to appreciate the game, others spend their time at the game far too closed minded to ever get it. This happens in both sports and for the life of me I don't understand why anyone wouldn't be willing to see if it is worth the effort (this goes for both sports).

You are obviously allowed to beat your drum, believing the football program can never be developed and the fan base can never be grown to compete with some of the better programs in the country. I am allowed to believe we can be the exception to what most see as the limitations of northeast football. It can be done and the path to get there, while difficult, is far more possible than most realize.

This upcoming season may still be a bit early in the process (the Jim Mora era) to make any noticeable noise but I have very high expectations for year four under Mora and I would not be surprised if in year three we start getting votes in the polls.

Reaction Score
. It would also be interesting to see who the B1G would pair up with Stanford, .
who says they need an even number of schools?
When you have a few schools all playing on the same days, then an even number is needed.
But there really is no difference between a 33 and 32 team conference.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yes, they seem to manage to stop by and tell us about it.
This ain’t the football board last I checked. You may get away with that weak ass stuff on the seton hall board , but it will be Mutombo’d here. :)

Reaction Score
Michigan has no claim for 2013, they shouldn't have even gotten their one championship against Seton Hall.
I hate Louisville as much as anyone, and I want that program to burn to the ground. I'm even cool with a big ole asterisk next to the title.

But they won the title. To pretend otherwise is embarassing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This ain’t the football board last I checked. You may get away with that weak ass stuff on the seton hall board , but it will be Mutombo’d here. :)
Lol, you are forgetting to switch tone in lines between you as your sock puppet burner account, Friar J and you as August. Really, you used to be better at this.

Reaction Score
Nah. All the folks who fell for it this time will believe that is a smoke screen and that we really are in consideration for conference X Y or Z.
And to prove my point, check out the Yormark thread.

Lucy van Pelt would have a field day on this board.

Reaction Score

CL82

Reaction Score
To be fair, I didn't start that theory. It was actually started by you when you started a thread on the Providence board about how you read that "someone on The Boneyard had planted a mole on their board who was pretending to be a Providence fan." Immediately August jumped into that thread and posters put two and two together.

For what it's worth, I don't ever remember there being a thread here about some Friar talk mole, so it was a little weird that August knew what you were talking about and immediately jumped right in.

Plus, your Seton Hall persona's handle is "Corny T". Weird that a a Providence fan is posting a Seton Hall Board using a former UConn great as a handle, isn't it?

We've heard August talk about the "long con" that he was running on the Syracuse board pretending to be a Syracuse poster. So, we know that posting under bogus handles and bogus identities is some thing that he gets a kick out of. "Cringy?" Definitely, but whatever floats your boat August.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
We'll never have the hoops success in football. For some, that's what they expect and if we can't achieve that then we might as well not try. It's truly part of the attitude for why many are anti-football. "If we're never going to win the whole thing then why try?"

I sort of see why people think that but college football is a weird sport.

I do think that we could get to the point where we pump out a 9 or 10 win season once a decade and bowl more years than not. If Mora gets us to the foundation I think he's capable of getting us to, and we have a homerun hire after him, it's doable.

We really just need a decade of not having terrible teams and winning a big game here and there.
People in 1990 would have said the same thing about UCONN hoops reaching excellence. We have the raw material to be a legitimate football school, we just need time to overcome the self-inflicted wounds of the past decade (PP, GDL, BD, RE2, cancelled season, Civil Conflict, worst defensive numbers in college history, low attendance, etc).

My hope for the end of this season is we win enough and play well enough that we are viewed on a level with schools like Maryland at the start of the 2024 season. Progress!

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
this guy is so non-key he should get his own thread

All of that info is common sense stuff that is almost certainly happening. It doesn’t take a seer to believe Cal and Stanford want in the Big 10.

CL82

Reaction Score

IMG_9864.jpeg

Wow, that came out of nowhere!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc