Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 705 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Syracuse's value to the ACC was that it was a member of a rival conference it was trying to kill off, and eventually did. That's it. It has no material I'm going presence in NYC, and is noted above it's actually farther away from NYC then Storrs Connecticut.
Disagree. At the time it was taken, there was an argument that, over an extended period of time, it was the second (to PSU) best football program in the Northeast and the best basketball program in the Northeast. Regardless of whether Syracuse “owns” a material TV market, it was a perfectly rational move to extend the ACC’s brand north from Maryland.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Tuition in the state of Washington is a lot cheaper than in Connecticut. UConn in-state is $19k so yeah, let them pay.

CR really sucks but I don't feel bad for any schools who are jumping ship or jumping into the frozen ocean waters. Not one program has been shafted as much as UConn has.
A friend's son starts at Oregon next month. Total in-state cost $40,000. Imagine it's similar for Oregon State. Wazzou sounds like a bargain.

Reaction Score
Screenshot_2023-08-10-08-48-37-27_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Reaction Score
A friend's son starts at Oregon next month. Total in-state cost $40,000. Imagine it's similar for Oregon State. Wazzou sounds like a bargain.
That sounds like out of state tuition.

Reaction Score
That sounds like out of state tuition.
Virginia also has crazy in-state tuition, probably around $40,000 depending on your major. Double what it is at UNC. All depends on how well the state funds it's institutions.

Reaction Score
Virginia also has crazy in-state tuition, probably around $40,000 depending on your school. Double what it is at UNC. All depends on how well the state funds it's institutions.
Where are you guys seeing these tuition numbers? I don't think any large state school is charging $40k, nevermind $20k, for in-state tuition.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
they arent adding uconn - ever
That's not what is going on.

They can't add UConn with this much time left in the GOR because they are looking for votes to break the GOR. They know UConn would be aligned against that since the schools that would favor UConn are definitely not FSU and Clemson.

The closer you get to the end of the GOR, the more these votes begin to matter much much less.

I bet the prospect of additions to the league is being resisted by the northeast schools plus Wake Forest and Georgia Tech, Louisville as well.

We have to remember that the ACC has split allegiances and that this makes agreement on added members difficult.

Reaction Score
Disagree. At the time it was taken, there was an argument that, over an extended period of time, it was the second (to PSU) best football program in the Northeast and the best basketball program in the Northeast. Regardless of whether Syracuse “owns” a material TV market, it was a perfectly rational move to extend the ACC’s brand north from Maryland.
I disagree. Syracuse basketball was clearly the #1 or #2 program in the Northeast at the time, but it was pretty clear that Syracuse football was in a LT decline. In the 5 seasons before they got an ACC invite, they were 21-40 overall and 8-27 in the Big East.

Dino Babers in 7 years at Syracuse is 36-48 overall and 19-39 in the ACC. Sure, they had one good year, but the decline was in place before Babers got there. I think the biggest problem that Syracuse football has is that they don't attract the top Northeastern talent anymore. In the old days, many of those recruits were overlooked, but now they are not and they are going to the Big 10, SEC, and Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
The only program the ACC schools would admit without hesitation at this moment is Notre Dame or someone that ensured Notre Dame agreed to come in. There just isn't any money to be found otherwise.

Reaction Score
That's not what is going on.

They can't add UConn with this much time left in the GOR because they are looking for votes to break the GOR. They know UConn would be aligned against that since the schools that would favor UConn are definitely not FSU and Clemson.

The closer you get to the end of the GOR, the more these votes begin to matter much much less.

I bet the prospect of additions to the league is being resisted by the northeast schools plus Wake Forest and Georgia Tech, Louisville as well.

We have to remember that the ACC has split allegiances and that this makes agreement on added members difficult.
I don't think this is correct. The rumors are that the biggest opposition to adding Stanford and Cal is coming from the football schools for a variety of reasons.

If you step back, there are 2 reasons why the ACC would expand:

1) Increased payout per school.

2) Prepare for the inevitable defection of schools in the future.

Stanford and Cal won't increase payout per school and add travel costs. The football schools don't care about the ACC LT and I doubt Stanford/Cal would stay in the ACC LT anyway.

As for UConn, we won't increase the payout per school unless we join for no payout, but we would help with #2 and I have a hard time believing that the ACC would be so stupid to allow UConn to go to the Big 12.

Reaction Score
I don't think this is correct. The rumors are that the biggest opposition to adding Stanford and Cal is coming from the football schools for a variety of reasons.

If you step back, there are 2 reasons why the ACC would expand:

1) Increased payout per school.

2) Prepare for the inevitable defection of schools in the future.

Stanford and Cal won't increase payout per school and add travel costs. The football schools don't care about the ACC LT and I doubt Stanford/Cal would stay in the ACC LT anyway.

As for UConn, we won't increase the payout per school unless we join for no payout, but we would help with #2 and I have a hard time believing that the ACC would be so stupid to allow UConn to go to the Big 12.
I see the opposite going on.

The one big thing the minnows will have to protect is the GOR. At all costs. Cal and Stanford are not going to bring them any financial protection. The WV guy is speculating that expansion is opposed by FSU and Clemson. I'm wondering why they would oppose it. Those 2 schools are not EVER going to get the minnows to agree to throw their financial future away. It makes no sense. The best FSU could do is to shake things up and hope for a break.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
???
Iowa St, Kansas St, Kansas football, WV a state w/ 1.5m people? Not to mention the 3 AAC adds.
You really don't get college football do you?

Reaction Score
Tuition in the state of Washington is a lot cheaper than in Connecticut. UConn in-state is $19k so yeah, let them pay.

CR really sucks but I don't feel bad for any schools who are jumping ship or jumping into the frozen ocean waters. Not one program has been shafted as much as UConn has.
The prospect of students going into debt that will triple over the life of their loans to pay for what's happened is truly an ethical question. And administrators just saying, Yep, the students will pay for all this!! Well, that's something too.

Reaction Score
The Acc needs to treat this like a divorce. They need to think what’s best for the spouse who isn’t leaving. They have to think long term and can’t ignore the inevitable. Right now they are in a sexless marriage that is staying together for the sole purpose of waiting until the youngest graduates high school and leaves the house.
As irrelevant as UConn seems to be, they can be a key player. If the big 12 adds UConn and sdsu or Oregon state, the acc will be left with no options wants the cheating spouse actually files.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Explain what there is to get.
You talked about schools from lower population states, KU, K-State, Iowa-State, WVU, but all of those schools support the programs. They have lots of fans. State population doesn't matter. K-State and WVU in particular have a passionate fanbase that shows up. Iowa State too, and KU if they start winning again (which they are). Meanwhile, a high population state like NY has almost no support for college football at all.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I understand the argument you're making biz, but I disagree with it. That was never about "expansion" so much as "consolidation." The principal value wasn't bringing in the coveted upstate New York market, it was absolutely part of a plant gut the Big East. The "value" from ESPN's perspective, since it already owned the rights to Syracuse games in the big east, was "consolidation". It was a concerted effort to take teams from the big east to "relegate" so that it was no longer entitled to a BCS level payment from them. I understand the argument you're making biz, but I disagree with it. That was never about "expansion" so much as consolidation. Consider have the original plan was to bring in Syracuse and Connecticut, which would be consistent with the notion that this was an attempt for landgrab in the New York metro area, but when BC you petulantly decided it "wanted to be the New England school" the conference and ESPN, who the BC AD admitted it was running the show, pivoted to Pittsburgh without blinking an eye. I think about whether that is more consistent with an attempt to own the New York metro area, or an attempt to gut the Big East. It didn't matter which school was taken, as long as it depleted the big east conference's inventory of schools.

Reaction Score
The prospect of students going into debt that will triple over the life of their loans to pay for what's happened is truly an ethical question. And administrators just saying, Yep, the students will pay for all this!! Well, that's something too.
It's simply a choice. I know many exceptional people who got their degrees from CCSU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom