Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 704 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter all that much what the ACC wants - it's about what ESPN wants and ESPN wants brands/rivalries (whereas Fox wants markets).
Huh? If ESPN wanted brands and rivalries, it certainly would not be going after Cal, Stanford, and SMU lol. They would take UConn and put them up against old conference foes Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, BC, VT, Miami…not to mention our significant tournament history with Duke

Reaction Score
Syracuse U is private and despite its location, is probably more connected to NYC than it is to the town of Syracuse. I'll bet a majority of its grads work in or around NYC. That could be changing though as tuitions are climbing and the the SUNY system is excellent.
I think it is a mirage. No one has any real info on the dynamics if any. Sounds like something ESPN could dream up. Syracuse is, at best, a second tier, expensive ($80k+/year) private school. More importantly, how have they advanced the fortunes of the ACC? How many ACC titles have they won? They have won only one BB Natty two decades ago - pre- ACC. Also, they have won only one football Natty and that was during the Eisenhower administration. No baseball either! Boy, the BS is deep!

Reaction Score
Huh? If ESPN wanted brands and rivalries, it certainly would not be going after Cal, Stanford, and SMU lol. They would take UConn and put them up against old conference foes Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, BC, VT, Miami…not to mention our significant tournament history with Duke
Except, football rules the day and we aren't that desirable in football yet.

Reaction Score
I thought I just read any expansion requires approval of 12 of the 15 ACC members.
Even if we offered to take no revenue for 5 years, I can’t imagine BC, Cuse, FSU, and Clemson voting us in.
There just is no route to get into the ACC for us.
Hope that the Big 12 decides to take UConn and say San Diego State if they do actually follow thru and add two more members - which is no guarantee.

Reaction Score
I thought I just read any expansion requires approval of 12 of the 15 ACC members.
Even if we offered to take no revenue for 5 years, I can’t imagine BC, Cuse, FSU, and Clemson voting us in.
There just is no route to get into the ACC for us.
Hope that the Big 12 decides to take UConn and say San Diego State if they do actually follow thru and add two more members - which is no guarantee.
Fail Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts

Reaction Score
Storrs is closer to NYC than Syracuse.
Oh I know and I believe there are TV markets between Syracuse's and NYC's. UConn has a campus practically in the shadow of the Manhattan skyline, but yeah, they want us to believe Syracuse which is like 5 hours away from the city has a big impact there.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If Cal and Stanford can't get in the ACC, I believe they will go independent as that is the only available way they can still be seen as a P4 school or equivalent.

As long as they reach an agreement with the other two and the MW, Stanford and Cal could keep the Pac X branding and rebuild an Olympic sports conference in their image.

See the following:
Cal
Stanford
Hawaii
UC Santa Barbara
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
UC San Diego

Cal and Stanford could keep the precious P4 designation in football and have a strong Olympic sports conference.

Reaction Score
I think it is a mirage. No one has any real info on the dynamics if any. Sounds like something ESPN could dream up. Syracuse is, at best, a second tier, expensive ($80k+/year) private school. More importantly, how have they advanced the fortunes of the ACC? How many ACC titles have they won? They have won only one BB Natty two decades ago - pre- ACC. Also, they have won only one football Natty and that was during the Eisenhower administration. No baseball either! Boy, the BS is deep!
Everything you say about SU is true. All I'm saying is SU is a private university which has a strong connection to NYC and that connection is why it is in the ACC. Lots of wealthy kids go to SU because who else is paying that ridiculous tuition and then they go to the Big Apple when they graduate. (FBS programs in state). New York (3) is a state with 20 million people, 4th most populous state behind Cali (7), Texas (13) and Florida (7). Yet NY has only 3 FBS football programs, none of which are winning championships: Army, Buffalo, Syracuse. That's why SU is valuable to the ACC.

Reaction Score
If Cal and Stanford can't get in the ACC, I believe they will go independent as that is the only available way they can still be seen as a P4 school or equivalent.

As long as they reach an agreement with the other two and the MW, Stanford and Cal could keep the Pac X branding and rebuild an Olympic sports conference in their image.

See the following:
Cal
Stanford
Hawaii
UC Santa Barbara
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
UC San Diego

Cal and Stanford could keep the precious P4 designation in football and have a strong Olympic sports conference.
Wouldn't Cal and Stanford just be better off joining the Big 12 and actually be in a P4 conference? Rationalize it by saying 6/12 of the PAC merged with Big 12, 4/12 of the PAC merged with the B1G, and 2/12 were sacrificed.

Reaction Score

See the following:
Cal
Stanford
Hawaii
UC Santa Barbara
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
UC San Diego

What are you talking about? Wazzu and Ore st are not going to gift the PAC name to Stan Cal. If S/C want out, then the northern schools will backfill with the MW.

And I still say if Stan does go Indy, there’s a better chance of going to the WCC than with the Big West schools.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't Cal and Stanford just be better off joining the Big 12 and actually be in a P4 conference? Rationalize it by saying 6/12 of the PAC merged with Big 12, 4/12 of the PAC merged with the B1G, and 2/12 were sacrificed.
The B12 doesn’t want them.
If they did, they already be invited.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Everything you say about SU is true. All I'm saying is SU is a private university which has a strong connection to NYC and that connection is why it is in the ACC. Lots of wealthy kids go to SU because who else is paying that ridiculous tuition and then they go to the Big Apple when they graduate. (FBS programs in state). New York (3) is a state with 20 million people, 4th most populous state behind Cali (7), Texas (13) and Florida (7). Yet NY has only 3 FBS football programs, none of which are winning championships: Army, Buffalo, Syracuse. That's why SU is valuable to the ACC.
Syracuse's value to the ACC was that it was a member of a rival conference it was trying to kill off, and eventually did. That's it. It has no material I'm going presence in NYC, and is noted above it's actually farther away from NYC then Storrs Connecticut.

Reactions: DGB
Reaction Score
Syracuse's value to the ACC was that it was a member of a rival conference it was trying to kill off, and eventually did. That's it. It has no material I'm going presence in NYC, and is noted above it's actually farther away from NYC then Storrs Connecticut.
It does and it doesn't. Will say as a CT native but an alum of Ithaca that there's a large presence downstate alum so it's not crazy that Cuse can bring a presence (witness Ithaca drawing for 45k and 40k for their rivalry games in 19 and 23). When I've done Uconn/Cause at the garden while there's more Huskies fans, it's more a 60/40 split with the big difference being Uconns student section is packed and Cuse's is empty. So they bring a fanbase to the tristate but a measure smaller than UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom