Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 701 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
At some point, the talent is going to be totally drained.

True, but its all important fresh ground for the ACC. TX has added 9 million people since 2000 increasing to 29million. Thats roughly 2.5x the entire population of CT added in 20 years.

But I agree, it will be interesting to see how all the schools fair between the G5 and P4. Its a lot of bodies.

Reaction Score
Who's giving the directive? In the face of the deficit it's never made sense to me how they've built a new hoop practice facility, built a hockey arena, new baseball stadium, upgraded soccer stadium, softball field, and keep improving the Burton facility. Along with making Hurley a top 5? highest paid coach in America.

I get some or even a lot of that money was through donations but if we were at the point where we'd need to consider budget cuts (cutting programs) it's an awfully odd way to go about it.
They did all that...

...to land in a power conference, which...

would shrink the deficit.

Reaction Score
How in the world is smu even in the conversation. This has to be a joke or some bad Intel. There are probably high-school teams that outdraw them.
Simple. ACC Network and carriage fees in a large metro area and state. If the ACC takes SMU it’s a ST solution, but LT mistake.

Reaction Score
Texas is the best state for football, certainly, but at some point, that well is going to run dry.

Look at the schools that rely on Texas talent: Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Baylor, Houston, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, LSU.

9 P4 schools have Texas as their prime recruiting territory.

Is there room for one more in SMU?

At some point, the talent is going to be totally drained.
Anyone remember the SMU Pony Express with Eric Dickerson?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I enjoy making fun of BC as much as anyone and I still believe if Flutie was say 6' or 6'1" he would have been viewed as just a pretty good college QB, not a Heisman candidate, much less winner.

That said, I'm pretty sure Flutie Flakes were a fundraiser for his (very young) kid who was born with some affliction (don't recall what specifically). It is something no infant should ever have to endure and no parents should ever have to deal with.

Reaction Score
I am working out and there was a guy decked out in Stanford gear working out next to me. I spoke to him, and he turned out to be the mental health coach for women's basketball and volleyball team at Stanford. He said multiple coaches are aware about the discussion with the ACC, and he mentioned that they are worried about the long travel for student athletes across the country.

Not sure this this a key tweet, but it is some information on the ground level.

Reaction Score
I enjoy making fun of BC as much as anyone and I still believe if Flutie was say 6' or 6'1" he would have been viewed as just a pretty good college QB, not a Heisman candidate, much less winner.

That said, I'm pretty sure Flutie Flakes were a fundraiser for his (very young) kid who was born with some affliction (don't recall what specifically). It is something no infant should ever have to endure and no parents should ever have to deal with.
This all started because of my joke post for our resident impostor NE football. It wasn't a serious discussion.

Reaction Score
Simple. ACC Network and carriage fees in a large metro area and state. If the ACC takes SMU it’s a ST solution, but LT mistake.
You have to wonder if cable systems in states like California or Texas are going to say, YES, ACC, we agree to jack up everyone's rate by 50 cents so ALL our cable subscribers can watch SMU or Stanford.

This doesn't seem feasible to me.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You have to wonder if cable systems in states like California or Texas are going to say, YES, ACC, we agree to jack up everyone's rate by 50 cents so ALL our cable subscribers can watch SMU or Stanford.

ESPN might have a springing clause in their contracts whereby ACCN is added when a school is added in their DMA. But if not, these communities will want the channel.

Reaction Score

Don't think most people in CA even heard of SMU. They hardly care about Stanford and Cal football, you think they gonna care about SMU and ACC teams?

Reaction Score

I live in NJ and have the ACC network. How is that possible with no ACC teams? I don't even have a damn choice as it is part of the sports regional package.

Reaction Score

I was trying to research how this works. Who says Texan cable companies will agree to even carry the. Acc network?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I was trying to research how this works. Who says Texan cable companies will agree to even carry the. Acc network?
ESPN has a lot of power in the cable space. Heck, cable might go from sickly to dead w/o a cooperative ESPN. ESPN has the strongest hand to play with any cable operator to raise rates and add channels. They hold the cards for a lot of desired content.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
They did all that...

...to land in a power conference, which...

would shrink the deficit.

They were building new baseball, soccer, and hockey stadiums to try and land in a power conference?

No wonder we're not in a power conference.

Men's basketball barely even matters, let alone everything else.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
ESPN has a lot of power in the cable space. Heck, cable might go from sickly to dead w/o a cooperative ESPN. ESPN has the strongest hand to play with any cable operator to raise rates and add channels. They hold the cards for a lot of desired content.
We're going to get Rutgerzed. I can't believe cable subscription rates are going to be a thing in 2023.

Reaction Score
Don't think most people in CA even heard of SMU. They hardly care about Stanford and Cal football, you think they gonna care about SMU and ACC teams?
I'm saying the CA cable companies won't raise the carriage fees because the ACC added Stanford and Cal

Reaction Score
They were building new baseball, soccer, and hockey stadiums to try and land in a power conference?

No wonder we're not in a power conference.

Men's basketball barely even matters, let alone everything else.
Most P5 schools with a breadth of programs indeed have facilities for their non-revenue programs

Reaction Score
I live in NJ and have the ACC network. How is that possible with no ACC teams? I don't even have a damn choice as it is part of the sports regional package.
Right, but they charge pennies. Some of these channels charge less than 5 cents a month.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We're going to get Rutgerzed. I can't believe cable subscription rates are going to be a thing in 2023.

Yep, still a thing today.....a lesser thing...but a thing.

And grabbing more markets is still a thing.

We don't add markets to the ACC and that is a huge problem.

Reaction Score
I pretty much get the opposite of what actually interests me, save for my pricey NFL Sunday Ticket subscription. Everything is such a joke when it comes to sports broadcast rights and policies. I hope it all comes crashing down, because the current landscape truly sucks. Tons of blackouts for local teams, but constant access to the ACC/Big 10/SEC networks so that I'm reminded how excluded UConn is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is honestly hilarious. I can’t even be mad anymore it’s just getting so absurd.
It's like watching a remake. It may be well done but since you know what's going to happen, there is no suspense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom