Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 659 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Don’t think they need bait for the PAC schools. They are pretty desperate right now. Sadly they’ll get voted in before UConn.

Reaction Score
Benedict needs to leverage this (if true) into a hybrid ACC arrangement: non-football membership, automatic membership as soon as one member leaves, bowl tie-in, and 10-15 million per year.
ACC is trash and will be the new AAC in a couple of years when the valuable teams leave. We don’t need or want to join that league at this time. It would be all exit fee for the chance to tie up our media rights and guarantee we never get into a real conference.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
They were. That’s why I said Yormark is a snake. He completely lied straight to our administration’s face. We did nothing wrong, but he embarrassed us in front of everyone. He needed a sacrificial lamb and UConn was perfect for the job
If the Pac-9 had stayed together this morning, we would have been welcomed to the Big 12 this afternoon. We were a back-up plan, and I think we knew this.

Reaction Score
Robert Craft did the same thing to the entire state of Connecticut with his talk of moving the Pats to Hartford. It was leverage to get Massachusetts to pony-up more money for Gillette Stadium.
One of the dumbest things ever. Total non-starter.

Even if Kraft was sincere, the Giants and Jets would have nixed it. They just didn't want to ruin Kraft's grift.

Reaction Score
If the Pac-9 had stayed together this morning, we would have been welcomed to the Big 12 this afternoon. We were a back-up plan, and I think we knew this.
The pac was never staying together. That was Oregon’s last second effort to get a better deal from the Big 10

Reaction Score
“Fodder schools” definition: Institutions that are willing to consistently lose in football in order to provide the conference “kingpin schools” the image of football dominance. In exchange they are given money, an occasional impression of a chance of winning football only to come up just shy of it, and/or success in non-football sports. Examples are too obvious and not necessary to provide.
So, regarding B1G, are former PAC kingpin schools willing to become fodder schools? Do current B1G kingpins want to relinquish their status? Regarding SEC, Texas and Oklahoma fodder? Alabama and Georgia relinquish?
Hmmm. I don’t think so. I see train wrecks coming.
Greedy people hurt other greedy people. Needy people help other needy people.

Reaction Score
They were. That’s why I said Yormark is a snake. He completely lied straight to our administration’s face. We did nothing wrong, but he embarrassed us in front of everyone. He needed a sacrificial lamb and UConn was perfect for the job
Stop peddling this nonsense and take off the tin hat. Yormark wanted UConn and likely still does, if anything, he made us look good by signaling to to the college athletics world that there is value in our brand.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the PAC was anticipating a small uptick on their next contract. Look how that ended.
The PAC had lost their two biggest properties. Additionally they went to market during a bear stock market, so media companies were not looking to drop big money on dying conference.

Reaction Score
I can’t believe ESPN/FOX will be willing to pay for Washington State and Oregon State when Fox already has those markets with B1G properties

Reactions: GG
Reaction Score
Honestly this entire section of the BY should be shut down. We’ve talked ourselves into a wild scenario that’s clearly never going to happen. I give our football team 3-5 more years before they kill it.
Lol you all roasted me when I posted this last week. I’d laugh if our entire athletics department wasn’t just nailed into a coffin.

Been a pleasure boys.

Reaction Score
Stop peddling this nonsense and take off the tin hat. Yormark wanted UConn and likely still does, if anything, he made us look good by signaling to to the college athletics world that there is value in our brand.
It’s not nonsense. Like I said earlier, I spoke with someone who knew what happened. And it wasn’t some random bogus “insider” or fake donor. This is UConn’s side of the story

Reaction Score
Robert Craft did the same thing to the entire state of Connecticut with his talk of moving the Pats to Hartford. It was leverage to get Massachusetts to pony-up more money for Gillette Stadium.
Kraft's subterfuge also cost UConn. The original plans for "UConn Stadium" were for a 50,000 seat domed facility at Adrien's Landing. When Kraft came in with his Barnum act, he got the State to change the blueprints to a 64,000 seat outdoor facility. The proposed original domed building was to host UConn football, & Men's & Women's basketball games. When Kraft left to go back to Foxboro, the State downsized to the RENT & only after Pratt & Whitney donated the land.

Reaction Score
Our athletic department won’t do it to put Olympic sports. The Big east will kick us out and then where do they go?

Even if a miracle was to happen and UConn gets into the XII, can’t totally burn that Big E bridge down as the XII does not sponsor Men’s Soccer, Women’s Field Hockey, and Women’s Lacrosse. Logistically and financially, the Big East would be the best place for them.

PS - The XII's website has an 'official' announcement about Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The PAC had lost their two biggest properties. Additionally they went to market during a bear stock market, so media companies were not looking to drop big money on dying conference.

Don't know how to break it to you (or @shizzle787 ) but next round of BE media negotiations could be very disappointing. They have little reason to offer an increase over the current deal.

Reaction Score
Yes this hurts, but there are still moves in the future. The 4 remaining PAC schools have lost a lot and are going to look for a solution. The ACC schools (FSU, etc) are grumbling. We all know our strengths (hoops, location, academics) and our weakness (historically terrible football over the last 10 years). If we get a few solid football seasons and maintain in the other sports, we will be in a stronger position the next time openings happen. We are poised for that outcome.
This is correct, IMO. Listen to other fanbases around the country and their podcasts that cater to them. They have the utmost respect for UConn basketball, hell how can they not? It's not UConn basketball that needs to be sold. It's UConn football that needs to be sold and that becomes easier when they perform well and have a loud raucous crowd at their games.

I know I am a broken record, but this is why Randy Edsall 2.0 tenure was so destructive. It wasted years of when UConn football could of rebounded even if the change was incremental it would've sufficed. Now imagine if Jim Mora had the 6-7 season in 2017 which was Edsall 2.0's first season. Even if UConn averaged about, let's 7-8 wins from 2017 to now in every season. The Rent would've been close to packed as well and this would have resulted in UConn being in a P5 or P-whatever.

Reaction Score
Nothing is stopping the B12 inviting us as #17. What difference does it make 17 or 18 or 20 at this point?
And to me that is the question and sobering kick in the nads. I never bought into the whole idea that a conference needs to have an even number of teams, why? They have professional companies that make their schedules anyways and it's not that hard to schedule odd number of teams.

Let's put it this way: If Notre Dame called the B12 and said "we would like to join", do you think the B12 would say, "damn we need to find another team to couple with Notre Dame!" No they wouldn't.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom