Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 342 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I know it might require an NCAA rule change, but who the heck is threatened if we form a G5 (or whatever number) Northeast football only conference that allows everyone to play other sports in their current league. UConn (without leaving the Big East), UMass (without leaving the A Ten), Temple (back in the A-Ten where), Army and Navy (staying in Patriot League) and Buffalo. Six teams, five conference games a year. That leaves us six games to play a FCS opponent and whomever else we can schedule. It also should leave Army and Navy enough flexibility to do whatever they want with their schedules.

Reaction Score
Outside the P5 and I think soon to be P4, these conferences don't make sense. The AAC wants to stretch across most of the country with programs that have little if any national recognition. Media revenues will continue to be minimal while driving up operating costs.

There's a model that works for this, but it's based on regional interests and needs to cater to that. My feeling is that a chunk of the P5 are going to fall into this as well once power programs breakaway from the NCAA. I think UCONN is in as good a place as we could reasonably be with the BE and football independence. Over the next 5-10 years this thing will sugar out and look a lot different than it does now. I doubt the AAC even exists at that point.

Reaction Score
I know it might require an NCAA rule change, but who the heck is threatened if we form a G5 (or whatever number) Northeast football only conference that allows everyone to play other sports in their current league. UConn (without leaving the Big East), UMass (without leaving the A Ten), Temple (back in the A-Ten where), Army and Navy (staying in Patriot League) and Buffalo. Six teams, five conference games a year. That leaves us six games to play a FCS opponent and whomever else we can schedule. It also should leave Army and Navy enough flexibility to do whatever they want with their schedules.
Biz, our posts crossed, but this is a good example of something that makes a heck of a lot more sense than worrying about Boise joining the AAC........

Reaction Score

It might as well just be a scheduling alliance. Conferences have admin costs and media deals. We will be better off as an Indy with our own TV deal. The CBS contract is a huge weapon for us. We have a lot of talent and if we bring in a good coach we could be off to the races.

I'm really excited to see what happens over the next 2-3 years. I have a good feeling about it. Randy, it turns out, still knew how to get good players. He just had no idea what to do with them anymore. With all of our youth and so many of our best players injured, our recent improvement has me thinking this ship is about to turn around. I hope AD Dave is all over player retention efforts right now.

Reaction Score
Whatever happended to the proposal to build a Temple football stadium near their campus?
The time to build a stadium is longer than the average duration of their head coaches. Not a good sign.

Reaction Score
Why would Army and Navy have any interest in this? Why would Buffalo? (since they’d have to give up the MAC).

Reaction Score
Why would Army and Navy have any interest in this? Why would Buffalo? (since they’d have to give up the MAC).

For Buffalo, it would be a football upgrade and face them towards the eastern seaboard (which, by the way, is where most NY State residents are) and away from the midwest. For Army and Navy, it gives them the advantages of a conference with easy travel for 4 games besides each other and bowl alliances, but leaves them the rest of their schedule to play whomever they want wherever they want. If they want it, it will be because OOC games against non-crappy opponents are going to be harder and harder to schedule.

Reaction Score
For Buffalo, it would be a football upgrade and face them towards the eastern seaboard (which, by the way, is where most NY State residents are) and away from the midwest. For Army and Navy, it gives them the advantages of a conference with easy travel for 4 games besides each other and bowl alliances, but leaves them the rest of their schedule to play whomever they want wherever they want. If they want it, it will be because OOC games against non-crappy opponents are going to be harder and harder to schedule.
I could see Army and Navy being for it, but I can't see Buffalo as they would probably have to give up the MAC for all other sports and there is not a natural landing spot for their other sports. And, would the A10 let Temple back in as they currently have 14 schools? If the Big East offered Temple a spot for their sports, Temple would probably jump at the opportunity, but I don't think that is going to happen.

Reaction Score
I could see Army and Navy being for it, but I can't see Buffalo as they would probably have to give up the MAC for all other sports and there is not a natural landing spot for their other sports. And, would the A10 let Temple back in as they currently have 14 schools? If the Big East offered Temple a spot for their sports, Temple would probably jump at the opportunity, but I don't think that is going to happen.
Would the A10 let in one of its signature programs that would keep them in 2-3 bid territory?

Hmmmmmm, let me think about that for about two nano…yes they would.

Reaction Score

With respect to the Big East, Villanova woudl likely have an issue with Temple joining the conference.

Reaction Score
Seems like if Army/navy wanted to play UConn/umass/tmpl/buff every year, they could easily do so already. And yet they don’t.
I don’t see the big advantages to them

Reaction Score
Seems like if Army/navy wanted to play UConn/umass/tmpl/buff every year, they could easily do so already. And yet they don’t.
I don’t see the big advantages to them
It would be good for UConn to have Navy, Temple, and Buffalo go independent for football.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
There is no place for Buffalo as an independent. They won't be allowed in the MAC anymore and the A10 isn't looking for another mouth to feed unless the misguided AAC board gets their way and steals basketball-only teams away.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
There is no place for Buffalo as an independent. They won't be allowed in the MAC anymore and the A10 isn't looking for another mouth to feed unless the misguided AAC board gets their way and steals basketball-only teams away.
They could go to America East, but I don't see them giving up their MAC ties.

Reaction Score
Yes it would be great for UConn
If the AAC broke up
and Temple , Navy, USF, and even ECU became Indies.
Somehow I don’t think these teams care about UConn’s best interests.

Reaction Score
Don’t sleep on UMass joining the AAC
aside from Rice ( Houston) and apparently UAB
any additional all sports teams are wide open
I think BB onlies are also likely
IF the P5 forms their own governing body. Then BB becomes a bigger $$ driver. Hopefully Aresco understands the P6 is dead forever. If I were the MW I would be pitching to Gonzaga.
Also if I were the AAC I would be looking at min of 2 BB onlies. Long overdue.
UAB is decent all sport's. But more is needed to placate Memphis
Dayton had been blocked from moving by Cinn and Xavier but a spot is open and they’re a mid west team.
Why because the A10 contract is $4.5 million divided between 14 schools. Pretty crappy . WSU gets over a million and The AAC is cash rich and can offer incentives.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It would be good for UConn to have Navy, Temple, and Buffalo go independent for football.
Yes and no. It would make scheduling easier, but nobody wants to watch a schedule made up of eastern independents.

Reaction Score
Don’t sleep on UMass joining the AAC
aside from Rice ( Houston) and apparently UAB
any additional all sports teams are wide open
I think BB onlies are also likely
IF the P5 forms their own governing body. Then BB becomes a bigger $$ driver. Hopefully Aresco understands the P6 is dead forever. If I were the MW I would be pitching to Gonzaga.
Also if I were the AAC I would be looking at min of 2 BB onlies. Long overdue.
UAB is decent all sport's. But more is needed to placate Memphis
Dayton had been blocked from moving by Cinn and Xavier but a spot is open and they’re a mid west team.
Why because the A10 contract is $4.5 million divided between 14 schools. Pretty crappy . WSU gets over a million and The AAC is cash rich and can offer incentives.
UMass will die in the AAC. On the basketball side it's a total non-fit.

Reaction Score
I don't see Buffalo moving for any reason for a league which hasn't even set up and which is tenuous, given the MAC's longevity and consistency. Another reason Buffalo likes being in it is that the ultimate goal is to join the B1G, so UB wants to retain midwest visibility. Joining the B1G will never happen, but that's the only reason the school loses $40m annually and why it has built out a football facility in recent years. It's crazy--but it is what it is. Also, UB likes being a big fish in a small pond. UB is the state flagship for NY and also an AAU school, so its cohort is those B1G schools.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom