Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 340 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score

Honestly, I don't know why any of the MWC schools would want to join the AAC at this point. The four most marketable brands: UConn, UCF, Houston, and Cincinnati are gone. I wonder why SMU and Tulsa just don't join the MWC. They were in the WAC with almost all of those schools before. The MWC would then be the clear top G5 conference.

Reaction Score
@Vowelguy , you might want to dislike this, too. Good luck with treatment.

Dude I disagreed with your statement. Didnt realize that it would send you over the edge.

Reaction Score
Noticed Air Force more likely to go than Colorado State. This (TV money) probably becomes a factor (along with potential travel bills):

Reaction Score
Frees up the AAC to add the big prizes out there — Wyoming and Rice.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This ironically might open the door for us football-only even though I think we should remain independent.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
This ironically might open the door for us football-only even though I think we should remain independent.
Tough for Aresco to do a 180 on that and it's not like we are all that attractive right now anyway. In the end, ESPN went too low on their bargain pick up of the AAC's content. That contributes significantly to the AAC's lack of desirability.

Reaction Score

-> In the end, Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson’s belief that the MWC schools would be better off staying put won out.

The value of AAC’s television deal is expected to decrease with its three pending departures, and it was unlikely any Mountain West additions could make up for it enough. AAC schools currently make around $6 million annually from the media rights, while Mountain West schools earn around $4 million (Boise State has a special carve-out that totals almost $6 million).

Thompson maintained that the money difference would be a wash, and the increase in travel costs was always a tough sell, going from Colorado or the Pacific Time Zone out to Philadelphia or North Carolina. The AAC believed that it could establish itself as the top and standalone G5 league with these additions, and the future of the G5 is a point of debate, especially as the NCAA undergoes a constitutional convention. <-

What's next for the AAC

Vannini: With its western hopes dashed, the American will now look within its footprint. Commissioner Mike Aresco has said the league is looking for two to four new members. Those options could include UAB, Charlotte, Georgia State, UTSA, James Madison, Rice, North Texas, FAU, Appalachian State, Louisiana and Marshall.

Among that group, there’s a difference in budgets, growth potential and academics. Aresco has typically targeted schools that will increase the value of the media rights deal, but there may not be any clear choices for that at this point. <-

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If I'm the MWC right now.. I turn to getting the Texas wing I wanted. Invite SMU & Rice. SMU seeing the potential instability with Memphis potentially heading out the door may well accept because at this point the money is at best going to be even for the AAC and likely will be below the MWC.

Reaction Score
If I'm the MWC right now.. I turn to getting the Texas wing I wanted. Invite SMU & Rice. SMU seeing the potential instability with Memphis potentially heading out the door may well accept because at this point the money is at best going to be even for the AAC and likely will be below the MWC.

Been saying from the start that the MW should be going after SMU. Helps FB & BB and further weakens the AAC.

If you want another TX school, go with UTSA.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
The problem with that is that SMU has a $10 million exit fee. Unless, the MW is willing to pay it for them, I don't see them moving to a western league with less TV exposure and likely a similar TV deal.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Been saying from the start that the MW should be going after SMU. Helps FB & BB and further weakens the AAC.

If you want another TX school, go with UTSA.
I don't get the love for UTSA. They have no brand nationally.

In terms of non-P5 schools in Texas, the brands go as follows:
7. SMU
8. Rice
9. UTEP
10. North Texas
11. UTSA
12. Texas State

Reaction Score
The problem with that is that SMU has a $10 million exit fee. Unless, the MW is willing to pay it for them, I don't see them moving to a western league with less TV exposure and likely a similar TV deal.
Doesn't the exit fee disappear if enough schools leave the conference??

Reaction Score
Yeah I don't see SMU leaving the AAC. They are now one of the premier teams. They are going to get most of the TV slots in both main sports. It's Memphis, SMU and then ??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom