Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 344 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Because the Big 12, SEC, and Group of 5 want the top 6 rated champs regardless of conference.
Right I forgot about the G5 (lol).
Why would the B12 not want a guaranteed slot for each P5? If it goes to the top 6, I'm not sure bxii 2.0 will always be in that top 6.

Reaction Score
Why would the B12 not want a guaranteed slot for each P5? If it goes to the top 6, I'm not sure bxii 2.0 will always be in that top 6.
According to Bob, it's because it's the right thing for the sport even if it gives away an advantage for the big 12.

Reaction Score
I guess I just don't understand how the vast majority of athletic departments around the country can even think about paying athletes like that. Ours included. Most athletic departments are not profitable entities. Paying the athletes is also completely demolishing the college sports model of having such a wide range of scholarship options open.

Reaction Score
I guess I just don't understand how the vast majority of athletic departments around the country can even think about paying athletes like that. Ours included. Most athletic departments are not profitable entities. Paying the athletes is also completely demolishing the college sports model of having such a wide range of scholarship options open.
The athletic departments arent paying the 50k. It's a group of boosters forming a shell company/charity to pay the players.

Reaction Score
I think they're concerned that the wording of the autobid (P5) conferences will start to look like the wording that was designed to evaluate the Big East's status as an AQ conference in the old BCS, meaning they'd risk falling out of the guaranteed bids and be stuck in a P4+1 situation. Top 6 conference champions means they have a 6 in 11 (and in reality higher, as ultimately C-USA & the MAC are unlikely to be close most years) of getting in every year, regardless of how things shake out after realignment.

Reaction Score
I think they're concerned that the wording of the autobid (P5) conferences will start to look like the wording that was designed to evaluate the Big East's status as an AQ conference in the old BCS, meaning they'd risk falling out of the guaranteed bids and be stuck in a P4+1 situation. Top 6 conference champions means they have a 6 in 11 (and in reality higher, as ultimately C-USA & the MAC are unlikely to be close most years) of getting in every year, regardless of how things shake out after realignment.
I don't think it's that at all. The Big 12 is better than the PAC-12 pretty much every year, and with Clemson down also better than the ACC. They have nothing to worry about.

Reaction Score
The P designation was never really intended to designate the best.. it was designed to consolidate power. Without Oklahoma & Texas the Big XII lacks that program that the major schools/tv networks feel like they can't live without. You'll start to see a change in narrative as soon as neither OU nor Texas are in the conference... they'll start to get the AAC trreatment with comments about their overall strength of schedule trumping otherwise strong metrics/performance.

It's much the same way the standards to maintain an auto-bid were introduced to the BCS after Miami & Virginia Tech left the Big East. The Big East able to maintain performance at those standards, but it was not a given, and you saw the same change in narrative.

Reaction Score

This could be the move that fuels Realignment again.

With the recent SEC contract and now with the B1G getting their new deal there will be a huge difference between these 2 conferences and the other 3 P5 conferences.

Does it cause desirable schools to start answering the phone when it rings? Do UNC & UVA finally decide it's time to bolt the ACC for "greener" pastures? Could USC and another couple PAC schools say it's worth playing games in different time zones if it means $30-40MM more per year?

Add in the upcoming changes to Division 1 in terms of creating separate rules and this could truly be the big bang that changes college athletics forever

Reaction Score

With the recent SEC contract and now with the B1G getting their new deal there will be a huge difference between these 2 conferences and the other 3 P5 conferences.

Does it cause desirable schools to start answering the phone when it rings? Do UNC & UVA finally decide it's time to bolt the ACC for "greener" pastures? Could USC and another couple PAC schools say it's worth playing games in different time zones if it means $30-40MM more per year?

Add in the upcoming changes to Division 1 in terms of creating separate rules and this could truly be the big bang that changes college athletics forever

Reaction Score
Don’t know much about front office

They are a decent follow and growing:

Reaction Score

If the GOR in the ACC can be broken, several programs and their fans will cheer.

In the board discussions that I have followed, there are several wishful scenarios but most posters are not hopeful that the GOR can be overturned unless the whole conference is deconstituted.

Reaction Score
Something nobody is talking about: Notre Dame's football media deal with NBC expires in 2025. Right now, Notre Dame gets ~$15 million per year and if the Big 10 is going to get $50 million+ per team for football, what will ND get? If ND gets a big bump, there is no way they will join the ACC at a substantial discount.

Reaction Score
I think if the B1G becomes the 600 lb gorilla financially, then they will be much more inclined to stay put in terms of members or mayyyybe they add just Notre Dame and call it a day. The member institutions/administrators are VERY tradition-based. I think they saw the mediocre athletic additions that Maryland and Rutgers were and the so-so academic/research institutions that those two are and I think they'll be reluctant to do another land grab again outside their legacy territory again.

And, when the B1G gets all those bucks, the SEC is going to have to think about/add Clemson and FSU to keep up with the B1G.

That'll leave the ACC needing to round out their ranks. Ahem. Cough, cough. (As BC and SyraPitt piss their pants).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think if the B1G becomes the 600 lb gorilla financially, then they will be much more inclined to stay put in terms of members or mayyyybe they add just Notre Dame and call it a day. The member institutions/administrators are VERY tradition-based. I think they saw the mediocre athletic additions that Maryland and Rutgers were and the so-so academic/research institutions that those two are and I think they'll be reluctant to do another land grab again outside their legacy territory again.

And, when the B1G gets all those bucks, the SEC is going to have to think about/add Clemson and FSU to keep up with the B1G.

That'll leave the ACC needing to round out their ranks. Ahem. Cough, cough. (As BC and SyraPitt piss their pants).

Maryland is 3rd in the Big Ten (behind only Michigan and Wisconsin) in R&D expenditures. Maryland is also 3rd in the Big Ten (behind only Michigan and Ohio State) in B1G championships since joining the league.

Reaction Score

As much as our friend Billy from FSU will protest, adding Clemson and FSU does nothing for the SEC in terms of a revenue bump.

UNC & UVA are the jewels in the ACC when it comes to adding revenues to a conference.

There are only a small handful of schools that can increase revenue for either the SEC or B1G. Notre Dame is the obvious one but as @UConnJim said, if they get a bump from NBC (which is likely, especially if as has been reported, that NBC is looking to create a B1G/ND doubleheader package) they will stay where they are and continue to take advantage of the ACC like they did to the Big East for years.

After Notre Dame, UNC & UVA the pickings get very slim in terms of schools who can increase revenues for a conference. Regardless of what some people think, Kansas is not a bell cow for the B1G and no other B12 schools are either. At that point the only schools left are a couple PAC schools (USC & UCLA) but, that brings a whole bunch of logistics issues to deal with so I'm not sure it makes sense. Maybe an extra $30-40MM may help it work but flying Olympic sports teams all over the country is certainly not ideal for "student-athletes".

Reaction Score
As much as our friend Billy from FSU will protest, adding Clemson and FSU does nothing for the SEC in terms of a revenue bump.

UNC & UVA are the jewels in the ACC when it comes to adding revenues to a conference.

There are only a small handful of schools that can increase revenue for either the SEC or B1G. Notre Dame is the obvious one but as @UConnJim said, if they get a bump from NBC (which is likely, especially if as has been reported, that NBC is looking to create a B1G/ND doubleheader package) they will stay where they are and continue to take advantage of the ACC like they did to the Big East for years.

After Notre Dame, UNC & UVA the pickings get very slim in terms of schools who can increase revenues for a conference. Regardless of what some people think, Kansas is not a bell cow for the B1G and no other B12 schools are either. At that point the only schools left are a couple PAC schools (USC & UCLA) but, that brings a whole bunch of logistics issues to deal with so I'm not sure it makes sense. Maybe an extra $30-40MM may help it work but flying Olympic sports teams all over the country is certainly not ideal for "student-athletes".
I thought if the Big 12 held tight than Arizona, AZ State, UCLA and USC would have been prime targets. Arizona is AAU but geographically maybe not too big a stretch for the SEC. It's not much worse than traveling to Washington and Oregon. Forget time zones. It's going to be the northern strip - B1G and southern strip - SEC.

Reaction Score

Like I said, for B1G it's ND or nothing.

In terms of the SEC, they care about money but they really care about being the best on the field so that's why I think they take Clemson. I think they'll take FSU because they'll want to create a hyper-interested state of FL and sort of recreate the dominant Florida/FSU rivalry of the 80's and 90's.

Reaction Score
Something nobody is talking about: Notre Dame's football media deal with NBC expires in 2025. Right now, Notre Dame gets ~$15 million per year and if the Big 10 is going to get $50 million+ per team for football, what will ND get? If ND gets a big bump, there is no way they will join the ACC at a substantial discount.

NBC will reup Notre Dame for a significant raise...and bid on Big Ten.

Notre Dame is still stuck with the contract with the ACC for another decade and some. They will remain independent and ride it out.

Reaction Score
Like I said, for B1G it's ND or nothing.

In terms of the SEC, they care about money but they really care about being the best on the field so that's why I think they take Clemson. I think they'll take FSU because they'll want to create a hyper-interested state of FL and sort of recreate the dominant Florida/FSU rivalry of the 80's and 90's.
I have to disagree with the arguments against FSU and Clemson. The SEC has two programs in Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee, and is adding a second in Texas. It should absolutely add a second school from Florida, because it's Florida, big picture, long term, etc. And between Georgia and South Carolina, Clemson is a no brainer.

UNC, NC State, UVA, Va Tech. That would pretty much destroy everyone else.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree with the arguments against FSU and Clemson. The SEC has two programs in Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee, and is adding a second in Texas. It should absolutely add a second school from Florida, because it's Florida, big picture, long term, etc. And between Georgia and South Carolina, Clemson is a no brainer.

UNC, NC State, UVA, Va Tech. That would pretty much destroy everyone else.
Agreed. It is getting to be like the 2 larges (SEC and B1G), the 3 mediums (PAC, Big12, and ACC), and everyone else. If SEC goes on an offensive again and grabs 2-4 ACC schools then it'll create a bunch of chaos for sure.

Reaction Score
The P2 reminds me of the youth baseball league in our town. They would scout the little kids and put them all on the same team. It made for a dominant team but did not help the kids. I have never seen one kid from my town even play D3 baseball

Reaction Score
The ACC has not gone out of their way to play friendly with Sankey or Swarbrick of late...Both of whom were on the four man committee to recommend a new playoff process. Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.

When Phillips started a year ago as ACC Commissioner, he discussed ways of getting ND to be a football member of the ACC. Apparently he and Jack Swarbrick (ND AD) met and talks went nowhere. I am guessing that Jack did not tell him that he (Jack) and the SEC and B12 commissioners had been working for 18 months on a new playoff system that would expand it from 4 to 12 members.

After the details of the proposal were understood, it became clear that the playoff expansion was necessary for the move of OU and Texas to go to the SEC in a 16 team conference to be sensible...the current 4 team playoff system makes that move silly. Then it was obvious that ND has cemented its independence in a playoff system with 6 open bids. Everyone seemed to be happy!. Not so fast.

The ACC said "let's fix some other things in football and then talk playoff expansion"....Going it alone and taking the brunt of anger from AAC Commissioner Aresco and SEC's Sankey. However, the commissioners will meet again in March to vote and a super majority could pass the 12 team playoff.

Of course Sankey is PO'd....adding a warning shot - “Whatever happens, the Southeastern Conference is going to be at the top of the college football pyramid,” stated Sankey. “So, I look forward to whatever formats others might want to adapt to try to compete at that level.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom