Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 338 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Not sure what and CSU are doing. They shoulda been trying to peel off SMU to kill the AAC and establish MW as clear top G5/4.
They are going east for TV and Navy/Texas teams. It frees up a game for Air Force OOC. My assumption is that Rice joins AFA, CSU, and UAB.

Reaction Score
They are going east for TV and Navy/Texas teams. It frees up a game for Air Force OOC. My assumption is that Rice joins AFA, CSU, and UAB.
And Boise State is eyeing the Big 12 in 2-4 years. Once they go, MWC is going to be in a rough position. Secure a safe landing spot now before it happens (kind of like what UConn did).

Reaction Score
Having "American" in the conference name and getting all the military academies positions them in an interesting marketing position to capitalize on some patriotic suckers to get ESPN+.

Reaction Score
I think adding Air Force and Colorado St. is a good move. , because the academies are a natural draw, but Colorado St. because it has a lot of potential. They have a nice stadium, a growing population and it is a nice travel destination for fans. I'm a sucker for more major universities for expansion.

Adding schools like UTSA seems so bush league. Even if they turn out good, it is kind of hard to get excited to play a school like that. I can imagine heading to the stadium and my wife asking me who we are playing. If I responded, "The University of Texas at San Antonio", she'd say something like, "And you paid for these tickets?"

Reaction Score
last week you said the AAC would stop after adding AFA and CSU

Reaction Score
And Boise State is eyeing the Big 12 in 2-4 years. Once they go, MWC is going to be in a rough position. Secure a safe landing spot now before it happens (kind of like what UConn did).
The AAC is more stable than the MW?

Reaction Score
The AAC is more stable than the MW?
any conference that has asymmetrical revenue sharing is unstable. MWC had to give a sweetheart deal for BSU not to leave because of their importance to the brand and value of the MWC.

If BSU goes, the whole conference goes since CBS has had the opportunity yet continually chose not to raise the profile and $ paid out to the conference. BSU is on the precipice of leaving for the Big 12 in a couple years. Once they go, MWC will become CUSA which is is why MWC has tried to avoid their departure with asymmetrical revenue sharing but time is up.

Reaction Score
any conference that has asymmetrical revenue sharing is unstable. MWC had to give a sweetheart deal for BSU not to leave because of their importance to the brand and value of the MWC.

If BSU goes, the whole conference goes since CBS has had the opportunity yet continually chose not to raise the profile and $ paid out to the conference. BSU is on the precipice of leaving for the Big 12 in a couple years. Once they go, MWC will become CUSA which is is why MWC has tried to avoid their departure with asymmetrical revenue sharing but time is up.
Thanks.

But where are they going to go? The PAC doesnt want them, and they're too far away from any other conference to be attractive on a large scale. Even if they lose these 2 + Boise, there are still 8 schools in need of a home. And they can pick off the reconstituting WAC if they need more teams.

In contrast the AAC has become an ungainly mess of mediocre teams (even by G5 standards), spread out over a large area, and with several competitors that can offer lower travel costs, local rivalries, and possibly even better quality. (Coastal, App St, and ULL of the Sun Belt are as good as what AAC 2.0 has, if not better.)

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Thanks.

But where are they going to go? The PAC doesnt want them, and they're too far away from any other conference to be attractive on a large scale. Even if they lose these 2 + Boise, there are still 8 schools in need of a home. And they can pick off the reconstituting WAC if they need more teams.

In contrast the AAC has become an ungainly mess of mediocre teams (even by G5 standards), spread out over a large area, and with several competitors that can offer lower travel costs, local rivalries, and possibly even better quality. (Coastal, App St, and ULL of the Sun Belt are as good as what AAC 2.0 has, if not better.)
The problem with the Sun Belt is that 6 of the programs are really bad. Arkansas State is the only other program that is mildly competitive.

Reaction Score
Thanks.

The Big XII is the rumor for Boise State, but obviously a lot can change. But if not the Big XII you are correct they would have no other P5 conference interested (PAC 12 and Big 10 no due academics, ACC / SEC too far and not enough value to TV deal).

While the AAC is a mess (a lot of dead weight programs, terrible travel considerations, no natural rivals, all for not a lot of TV money in the grand scheme of things), it does have some of the best remaining football programs in the G5 and in better timezones for more viewers than MWC.

ESPN also appears to be sucking up as many college football rights as possible while competitors (NBC, CBS, FOX) appear to be shying away. I don't know why, but the competition seem more interested in EPL, Golf, and other things. This will likely become more apparent when all P5 conference excluding ACC are up for negotiations on their deals in the next 3-4 years. Let's hope for the sake of UConn (FB & CBS, BB & FOX) that the competition still wants in on live sports or that big tech finally gets involved.

So if you're Air Force or CSU and AAC / ESPN tell you that TV money can be doubled in the AAC, probably a hard no especially when MWC is in a 50/50 position of crumbling once BSU walks. SDSU probably wouldn't be far behind if they weren't so far from Temple, USF, ECU, and Memphis.

Reaction Score
The problem with the Sun Belt is that 6 of the programs are really bad. Arkansas State is the only other program that is mildly competitive.
Georgia Southern has been to 3 straight bowl games.
Troy was in bowls 2016-18.

Reaction Score
The Big XII is the rumor for Boise
By "they" I meant the rest of the MW.

I cant see the MW collapsing bc too many teams have no other option. Not true for the AAC schools. That's why I think the AAC is less stable.

Reaction Score
By "they" I meant the rest of the MW.

I cant see the MW collapsing bc too many teams have no other option. Not true for the AAC schools. That's why I think the AAC is less stable.
All AAC schools make more money than other conferences out there excluding P5 which only Memphis is in serious contention for.

AAC is in a stronger position than MWC financially which is why these schools would make the move. After those school leaves, MWC becomes CUSA of the west.

To summarize i dont think any conference will cease to exist but the AAC will be making more money at EOD because of the support by ESPN.

Reaction Score
Heather Dinich
@CFBHeather

·
58m
The SEC and ND wouldn't vote for an 8-team playoff that has automatic qualifiers. The G5 wouldn't vote for one that doesn't.

Andy Staples
@Andy_Staples

·
6m
G5 leagues wouldn’t approve top 8. They’d want auto bids. Top 8 is the only 8-team format SEC or ND would approve. It’ll be 12.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I think a straight 8 format with no auto bids is the best format. If an undefeated Big 12, AAC, MW, or Indy team schedules good OOC, they will be in.

Reaction Score
I think a straight 8 format with no auto bids is the best format. If an undefeated Big 12, AAC, MW, or Indy team schedules good OOC, they will be in.
Riiiiiight.
who are these good OOC opponents with the Aliiance locked up and the SEC rarely scheduling good road games?

the G5 has no chance at an at large unless their team is undefeated, while a 3 loss SEc team would easily make it

they are foolish to not be more inclusive (even by 1 slot!) — that’s what has made March madness what it is.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Riiiiiight.
who are these good OOC opponents with the Aliiance locked up and the SEC rarely scheduling good road games?

the G5 has no chance at an at large unless their team is undefeated, while a 3 loss SEc team would easily make it

they are foolish to not be more inclusive (even by 1 slot!) — that’s what has made March madness what it is.
The Alliance is bogus posturing. Every one knows that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom