Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 251 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I don't think that UConn would drop them, but it does sort of tie in with the recent talk of UConn and the Big East. Maybe some of these sports would go to the Big East.
I think he was suggesting we drop sports that the B12 actually plays, which would create a lot of Title 9 issues. It was discussed previously on this board, but there aren't many examples of schools splitting their sports into two or more conferences when their primary conference sponsors those sports.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think that UConn would drop them, but it does sort of tie in with the recent talk of UConn and the Big East. Maybe some of these sports would go to the Big East.

The B12 doesn't even sponsor men's soccer. Why is he mentioning it? We will likely go Big East for that regardless. I like that he's seeing the obvious truth of "University of", but he still sells us short and overstates the travel issue.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We offer 10 men's sports (basketball, baseball, football, soccer, hockey, track/field, swimming/diving, golf, tennis, and cross country) while offereing 12 women's sports (basketball, softball, volleyball, soccer, hockey, swimming/diving, track/field, tennis, cross country, rowing, field hockey, and lacrosse). The Big 12 doesn't offer men's soccer, men's or women's ice hockey, or women's field hockey. The first and the last could go to the Big East, while hockey stays where it is. However, I do believe we should get closer to the NCAA minimum number of sports to save costs so I believe (keeping Title IX considerations) that we should can men's golf, men's and women's tennis, and men's and women's cross country.

Reaction Score
Duarte usually provides decent coverage so I'm surprised nary a mention of UConn:
AAC preview: Schools battle for more than just position on field
mock-tin-foil-hat.jpg

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Yes, that is weird. Even the part stating what teams have been speculated going to the Big 12 is missing UConn. Its like we don't exist any more.
Yes, that is weird. Even the part stating what teams have been speculated going to the Big 12 is missing UConn. Its like we don't exist any more.
To Houston, we're Tulane apparently

Reaction Score
Ken Broo ‏@kenbroo · 8h8 hours ago  Alaska, USA
Some Big 12 expansion talk on the way with our man in Texas, Ben Kercheval from CBS Sports - News, Live Scores, Schedules, Fantasy Games, Video and more. on @700wlw

Ken Broo ‏@kenbroo · 7h7 hours ago  Alaska, USA
Ben Kercheval from CBS Sports - News, Live Scores, Schedules, Fantasy Games, Video and more. just told me on @700wlw he thinks Cincinnati and Memphis will be B12 expansion choices.

C. Austin Cox ‏@C_Austin_Cox · 4h4 hours ago
UConn would've had a better shot in #Big12Expansion if ESPN wasn't working against them. Huskies are too valuable to ESPN at an AAC discount

Colt Lester‏@ColtLester45
@C_Austin_Cox Mem/Cincy good for @Big12Conference? Check out player hometowns of each conference... #EnemyTerritory
CqaXDWfWcAQzB6a.jpg

C. Austin Cox ‏@C_Austin_Cox · 2h2 hours ago
Great example of how #Cincinnati opens the door to B1G country and #Memphis opens it to #SEC country for the Big 12.

Reaction Score
We offer 10 men's sports (basketball, baseball, football, soccer, hockey, track/field, swimming/diving, golf, tennis, and cross country) while offereing 12 women's sports (basketball, softball, volleyball, soccer, hockey, swimming/diving, track/field, tennis, cross country, rowing, field hockey, and lacrosse). The Big 12 doesn't offer men's soccer, men's or women's ice hockey, or women's field hockey. The first and the last could go to the Big East, while hockey stays where it is. However, I do believe we should get closer to the NCAA minimum number of sports to save costs so I believe (keeping Title IX considerations) that we should can men's golf, men's and women's tennis, and men's and women's cross country.

Still banging this drum, huh?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Some Big 12 expansion talk on the way with our man in Texas, Ben Kercheval from CBS Sports - News, Live Scores, Schedules, Fantasy Games, Video and more. on @700wlw

Ken Broo ‏@kenbroo · 7h7 hours ago  Alaska, USA
Ben Kercheval from CBS Sports - News, Live Scores, Schedules, Fantasy Games, Video and more. just told me on @700wlw he thinks Cincinnati and Memphis will be B12 expansion choices.

C. Austin Cox ‏@C_Austin_Cox · 4h4 hours ago
UConn would've had a better shot in #Big12Expansion if ESPN wasn't working against them. Huskies are too valuable to ESPN at an AAC discount

@C_Austin_Cox Mem/Cincy good for @Big12Conference? Check out player hometowns of each conference... #EnemyTerritory
CqaXDWfWcAQzB6a.jpg

Great example of how #Cincinnati opens the door to B1G country and #Memphis opens it to #SEC country for the Big 12.
They are also slacking in hot beds like NJ and PA. Who could help with that?

Reaction Score

If you drop cross country (and the logic of that completely escapes me) you also need to drop indoor and outdoor track. Those sports have very few meets per year and I guess we could bulldoze our beautiful track facility as well.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This recruiting angle is overvalued and dated. Unless you can guarantee playing in a given recruits home state every year then it's not really a selling point and with the unbalanced schedules due to the size of these conferences you can't do that.

Consistent success, coaches, NFL players, playing time, facilities, academics, and proximity to home all out point having an opponent close to home. A smart president wouldn't consider it at all.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This recruiting angle is overvalued and dated. Unless you can guarantee playing in a given recruits home state every year then it's not really a selling point and with the unbalanced schedules due to the size of these conferences you can't do that.

Consistent success, coaches, NFL players, playing time, facilities, academics, and proximity to home all out point having an opponent close to home. A smart president wouldn't consider it at all.
I've never really gotten the fuss over it. Like Wisconsin couldn't get kids from NJ until they started playing Rutgers? They have cable in New Jersey BELIEVE ME.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I've never really gotten the fuss over it. Like Wisconsin couldn't get kids from NJ until they started playing Rutgers? They have cable in New Jersey BELIEVE ME.

Totally overrated. There is something I think matters somewhat, and that is dominating a region. The SEC does, B1G does and Pac does. The Big 12 once did, and now doesn't. The ACC does in only 3 states, which is not enough. The Big East once did in basketball.

Reaction Score
Womens field hockey is already in the Big East

Reaction Score
He was also a best selling author but I forget the title.

Don't know if you meant to make a funny, but its called "The Memory Book", co-authored with Harry Lorayne. It was first published in 1974 and is a classic. He and Lorayne they introduced the power of using mnemonics and other elaborative rehearsal techniques to encode and recall large amounts of information relatively quickly.

Reaction Score
CqaXDWfWcAQzB6a.jpg

Hell, there is so many threads going I cant remember which thread I dropped this in earlier in the week: Confidential: Big 12 coaches unload on expansion recruiting myth But let Cincy, UCF/USF and UM (especially) keep trumpeting it as a check mark on their refrigerator door spreadsheets.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If you drop cross country (and the logic of that completely escapes me) you also need to drop indoor and outdoor track. Those sports have very few meets per year and I guess we could bulldoze our beautiful track facility as well.
No, you don't need to drop track and field if you drop cross country. So you don't need to bulldoze the track facility. The logic is thus: we need to cut costs and can do so by getting to the NCAA minimum of 7 men's sports. Which sports stay? Basketball, baseball, football, soccer and hockey are the major sports in the US; they need to stay. That leaves two spots open: track and field and swimming and diving, which are the major Olympic sports not named above. Cross country is only partially an Olympic event (part of the pentathlon), golf won't be for much longer, and tennis something that you can go to local clubs for.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom