Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 249 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel · 5h5 hours ago
And last but not least, my Top 10 Group of 5 teams. Beware of Appalachian State.

Ranking the 10 best Group of 5 teams in college football

Connecticut
The defensively stout Huskies improved from 2-10 to 6-7 last season and should take another step forward thanks to RB Arkeel Newsome.

Ranking the 10 best Group of 5 teams in college football

Reaction Score
Joseph Duarte ‏@Joseph_Duarte · 2h2 hours ago  Houston, TX
. @uhpres: "I've always said from very first day we are here to build a nationally competitive program in academics and athletics."

. @uhpres on Big 12: 'We'll do everything possible to showcase our university.' She calls @CoachTomHerman 'our trump card'

. @uhpres on whether concern about support from Big 12 north schools: 'I certainly hope not. I think we are asset no matter where we are.'

Joseph Duarte@Joseph_Duarte 6 mins ago
In her first public comments, @UHpressays, 'I think @UHouston definitely has all the credentials to be looked at very seriously’ by Big 12

Reaction Score
I think Blauds was saying Football to B12 with a limited BBall scheduling arrangement with B12. That would leave us in the Big East for BBall, just with a B12 scheduling arrangement for a certain number of games each year.

Reaction Score
Brian DavisVerified account ‏@BDavisAAS 10h10 hours ago
One thing to remember Re: Big 12 expansion. TV consultants got paid to tell 10 presidents something positive. Doesn't mean it was realistic.

Brian DavisVerified account
@BDavisAAS
Covers the Texas Longhorns for the Austin American-Statesman.
A ridiculous argument. The consultants don't get paid to gloss over and fudge the facts about potential candidates. They get paid to tell the Big 12 what the best route is for the Big 12 as it exists currently. If that route is stay at 10, that's what they say. If it's 12, 14, 16, 234282340, they say that.

Reaction Score
A ridiculous argument. The consultants don't get paid to gloss over and fudge the facts about potential candidates. They get paid to tell the Big 12 what the best route is for the Big 12 as it exists currently. If that route is stay at 10, that's what they say. If it's 12, 14, 16, 234282340, they say that.

Already posted a reply saying something similar.

This guy has obviously never been in the business world a day in his life.

Reaction Score
Campus Corner
The Star's blog on college sports, featuring Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri

Derek Linn™ @Jsjide56@KellisRobinett
why is no one talking about Ucon possibly getting in the big 12. Really good basketball program. Football not good enough?
12:46 PM - 18 Aug 2016

Location, more than anything.

Yeah, UConn is kind of close to West Virginia, which would give the Mountaineers a travel partner. Still, Storrs isn’t exactly easy to get to.

And once you get there, the Huskies don’t seem to have as much to offer as other expansion candidates. They are fantastic at basketball, which would be a plus. But they don’t have the best football tradition. Also, what kind of television market would they bring with them? The state of Connecticut? Meh. I doubt they can deliver big ratings in New York or Boston, as some have suggested. ESPN is nearby. Does that help their chances?

This isn’t to knock UConn. It is a good school with a good athletic department that can make a conference stronger. But the same can be said about Houston, BYU, Memphis, Cincinnati and seemingly everyone else in the mix. And those schools are all better geographical fits than UConn.

Read more here: Ask Kellis: Jesse Ertz, Dalton Risner, Denzel Goolsby, Big 12 expansion and Bill Snyder’s shoes

Kellis Robinett
@KellisRobinett

K-State beat writer for the Wichita Eagle/Kansas City Star

*This is another guy who needs some "educating" on UConn.

Reaction Score
I don't think the Big East will be interested in half-members.

With our basketball, we're a no-brainer add. Without it, I think they'd take a pass.

They added our other sports already. Who knows?

Split the baby and offer them women's bball.

Reaction Score
. @uhpres: "I've always said from very first day we are here to build a nationally competitive program in academics and athletics."

. @uhpres on Big 12: 'We'll do everything possible to showcase our university.' She calls @CoachTomHerman 'our trump card'

. @uhpres on whether concern about support from Big 12 north schools: 'I certainly hope not. I think we are asset no matter where we are.'

Joseph Duarte@Joseph_Duarte 6 mins ago
In her first public comments, @UHpressays, 'I think @UHouston definitely has all the credentials to be looked at very seriously’ by Big 12

Article formatting is a bit clunky... there is a slide show w/ some UConn data.
UH president Renu Khator says university remains a realistic candidate for Big 12 expansion

Reaction Score
this is unreal. where are all of these people crapping on Wake Forest, Purdue, etc. etc.

This media controlled P5 v. G5 debate has become absurd. In an age where "journalists" can say whatever they want, narratives don't bode well for us.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
As if Manhattan, Kansas is easy to get to. Clearly it's not easy to get out of, as this person obviously hasn't.

Reaction Score

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
In non-revenue sports, they couldn't care less if it's UConn or Conn College.
Universities (and colleges) like to be associated with peer institutions. You mentioned Conn College, their identity/brand is a small, elite New England liberal arts college. Hence their association with Amherst, Tufts, Bowdoin, Wesleyan etc. in the NESCAC - their association through sports (but also outside of sports) reinforces the sense of a larger community of students/profs/alums. Obviously, in DIII everything's non-revenue. For UConn, they have to compete against / associate with whoever's in their league. There is a little bit of non-sports overlap with Temple, maybe USF, Tulane as research universities. But associating with other flagships would be preferable. UConn as a football only in the B12 would be a unique situation, if they put non-revenue sports in the Big East. Again from a purely non-sports perspective, there might be some advantages to going back to associating with regional schools like PC, BC, Nova from a branding perspective, but the institutional overlap (faculty, alums) between those private catholic schools and a state flagship aren't as great.

tl; dr - whatever happens this year, UConn will still be thinking about how to angle for a spot in the ACC/Big Ten down the road, assuming there's a chance to tread water financially.

Reaction Score
It does seem strange that this would be the case.

The only thing I can think of is that it would not enacting the full pro rata clause and could land the Big 12 with:

1) 12 team football league which the simulations showed the highest probability of making the CFB Playoff.

2) Mitigates all the Olympic travel concerns.

3) TV pays the Big 12 a nice increase, but less than the full pro rata, so it keeps the Big 12 and the networks happy.

4) Nothing makes sense anymore.

There are no meaningful Olympic travel concerns.

Most teams will travel out of region once. Several Olympic sports teams will not need to travel out of region, because they won't be joining the Big XII. The remainder ALREADY travel regularly out of region due to current affiliation or seasonal weather concerns.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Brian DavisVerified account ‏@BDavisAAS 10h10 hours ago
One thing to remember Re: Big 12 expansion. TV consultants got paid to tell 10 presidents something positive. Doesn't mean it was realistic.

Brian DavisVerified account
@BDavisAAS
Covers the Texas Longhorns for the Austin American-Statesman.

FIFH
"One thing to remember Re: Big 12 expansion. TV consultants got paid to tell 10 presidents something positive. Doesn't mean it will align to the ignorant biases of those of us in football country."

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
There are no meaningful Olympic travel concerns.

Most teams will travel out of region once. Several Olympic sports teams will not need to travel out of region, because they won't be joining the Big XII. The remainder ALREADY travel regularly out of region due to current affiliation or seasonal weather concerns.

I mean look, I understand it's a bit overblown by the media, but at the same time take off the Husky colored lenses for a second.

Houston Texas or Storrs CT. It's not rocket science that from simply a travel prespective it's not crazy for a league with already 4 teams in TX to prefer another as opposed to one in New England.

Reaction Score

I mean look, I understand it's a bit overblown by the media, but at the same time take off the Husky colored lenses for a second.

Houston Texas or Storrs CT. It's not rocket science that from simply a travel prespective it's not crazy for a league with already 4 teams in TX to prefer another as opposed to one in New England.
I think we all understand basic geography but why isn't BYU questioned about geography? Same with the FL schools really. As mentioned many a time, we have airplanes now. Just leave campus an hour or two earlier :0

Reaction Score

The problem with the conference is exactly that. They need to travel in our direction to get viewers in larger numbers. More of the same is more of the same problem.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
@kingdobbs @UConnTrumbull @Hoophound

Just to clarify, I don't disagree with you guys at all about a) travel being overblown b) that UConn is somehow so much more on an island than BYU or the Florida schools.

I'm just being realistic in the sense it's our biggest knock and that it could be a reason they would elect to go football only (something I'm not even sure is realistic to begin with).

From a literal travel stand point it's not anti UConn to acknowledge Houston and Cincinnati are easier trips.

Reaction Score
First off, there is no way the Big12 is expanding by 2 with Cincy and UH. UH is a pawn in all of this. They are simply being thrown out there as a threat any time Texas doesn't get what it wants.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
First off, there is no way the Big12 is expanding by 2 with Cincy and UH. UH is a pawn in all of this. They are simply being thrown out there as a threat any time Texas doesn't get what it wants.
That depends on the non-Texas schools and how hard they dig in their heels on UH. If UT figures out some kind of deal to appease those schools (renegotiated deal with TV partners who would fork over some cash to stay at 2 vs. 4), UC/UH will be very much on the table. If what flugar says about Fox wanting eastern content is a legit factor, and someone in the Big12 (maybe OU+ISU?) is willing to go to bat, then expansion by 4 might be alive.

The idea that B12 coaches wouldn't want Houston because they don't want to compete against UH's recruiting is not going to be a factor. (except in the media). UH being another Texas based school when it comes to voting among the presidents could be a factor, though.

Reaction Score
That depends on the non-Texas schools and how hard they dig in their heels on UH. If UT figures out some kind of deal to appease those schools (renegotiated deal with TV partners who would fork over some cash to stay at 2 vs. 4), UC/UH will be very much on the table. If what flugar says about Fox wanting eastern content is a legit factor, and someone in the Big12 (maybe OU+ISU?) is willing to go to bat, then expansion by 4 might be alive.

The idea that B12 coaches wouldn't want Houston because they don't want to compete against UH's recruiting is not going to be a factor. (except in the media). UH being another Texas based school when it comes to voting among the presidents could be a factor, though.
Texas has two goals. Get paid out in full for LHN and get the best sweat heart deal ever going forward. Anytime the discussion waivers away from Texas getting a better payout than everyone else, they bring up UH. Trust me, they don't want UH either but UH is a large enough threat that will make other schools and both networks meet UT's demands. Its negotiating 101. If Texas really wanted UH or if UH was a real option, they woudln't have been made so public on Day 1.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom