Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 247 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The last two posts have been spot on IMO. Warde was an AD in the traditional sense. He ensured academic compliance, hired great coaches, and, working within the significant confines of AAC membership, made sure our football and basketball schedules still found a way to have name-brand schools on them in the out-of-conference portions. He also fundraised better than any AD in UConn history. That of course doesn't say much because an inebriated elephant could have done better than his predecessor in that regard, but he did well in that area. He did a very good job for us.

AD David Benedict has been more a CEO so far. He's a new breed of AD. He has been working to upgrade fan relations, build the brand, and hopefully, a marketing machine. We haven't seen much in the way of the traditional AD out of him yet, so the jury is out on his abilities to schedule compelling matchups, but hearing him speak, the man can sell. I expect he will be able to sell other ADs on games with the Huskies. We are in very capable hands.

I agree except that he's less like a CEO, and more like an entrepreneur. He acts like a personally invested small business owner. He's the Bob Diaco of ADs really. He's a fantastic face for the whole department, and he engages in things that should be below his pay grade. I doubt that ADs at a school like UConn usually get so personally involved in things like the scoreboard layout, parking at games, the band vs DJ, promotional announcements, but he wants to get it right and sweats every detail to make it happen.

Reaction Score
Warde was good, but most of his work was internal. Benedict is doing very visible work. He is a marketing guy and a presentation guy. He is doing a bunch of stuff many of us would have done if AD. I presumed many of these things weren't allowed. I'm amazed that he is so easily manipulating things that result in dollars to the school, such as concession prices and advertising spots at football games. I had the impression that suggesting those things would be shot down immediately, apparently that isn't so or Benedict is very persuasive.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This, 100 times this. Warde cleaned the house, and now Benedict is outing finishing touches and decorating the house for prospective buyers. IMO Warde was exactly what UConn needed at the time he was hired, and now Benedict is appearing to be what we need at this stage (still some work to be done, but off to a good start, or so it appears).

Although in reality this is primarily about what Herbst is doing than what Warde or Benedict did or did not do.

Ding. Ding. Common theme of the Diaco, Ollie, Warde, Benedict hires?? Herbst.

Reaction Score
Ding. Ding. Common theme of the Diaco, Ollie, Warde, Benedict hires?? Herbst.
Splitting hairs, but Ollie isn't a Herbst hire, it's a Calhoun hire that Warde was able to navigate rather well.

Reaction Score
The AD 's roll is going to be huge especially if the AAC is raided and we're left behind .
I favor staying at 10 (the potential adds are depressing) and it's going to be his job to get two more attractive P5 games yearly.
I think the AAC is still a decent football league ,with terrific potentential especially if UConn becomes a consistant winner. A Boise State type attraction in the Northeast will lift up the whole league. and may even attract a Mountain West team or two in the future. UConn fans dismissal of a league they've been incompetent in is laughable
Call in all your chips to get games with the only objective is your football reputation.

The loss of Cinn. for basketball is huge and can only be further dilluted by adding all sports teams .
NCAA BB revenue is a much larger factor for G5 school than P5 schools so enhancing the BB reputation of the league is huge.
If you could add two BB centric schools like VCU , WSU, or Dayton for all sports except football you've could make the AAC a pretty good conference.
UConn
Temple
VCU
Wichita State
Dayton
Memphis
Tulsa
SMU
SFU
CFU
Tulane
ECU
Is a darn good league the question is how do do attract these teams ?
Feel free to attack , my experience is any new suggestions should be run by the biggest naysayers .
When you answered all their objections you've arrived at a robust solution.

Reaction Score
The last two posts have been spot on IMO. Warde was an AD in the traditional sense. He ensured academic compliance, hired great coaches, and, working within the significant confines of AAC membership, made sure our football and basketball schedules still found a way to have name-brand schools on them in the out-of-conference portions. He also fundraised better than any AD in UConn history. That of course doesn't say much because an inebriated elephant could have done better than his predecessor in that regard, but he did well in that area. He did a very good job for us.

AD David Benedict has been more a CEO so far. He's a new breed of AD. He has been working to upgrade fan relations, build the brand, and hopefully, a marketing machine. We haven't seen much in the way of the traditional AD out of him yet, so the jury is out on his abilities to schedule compelling matchups, but hearing him speak, the man can sell. I expect he will be able to sell other ADs on games with the Huskies. We are in very capable hands.

When Benedict was on WTIC a month ago, he said that he hired Vic Cegles as Deputy Athletic Director to make the
day to- day decisions in the Athletic Department. He said that Cegles has 10 years experience as an AD and he has the skill set and experience for Benedict to trust him to make those decisions.

Vic Cegles
Vic Cegles Named Deputy Athletic Director

Reaction Score
The AD 's roll is going to be huge especially if the AAC is raided and we're left behind .
I favor staying at 10 (the potential adds are depressing) and it's going to be his job to get two more attractive P5 games yearly.
I think the AAC is still a decent football league ,with terrific potentential especially if UConn becomes a consistant winner. A Boise State type attraction in the Northeast will lift up the whole league. and may even attract a Mountain West team or two in the future. UConn fans dismissal of a league they've been incompetent in is laughable
Call in all your chips to get games with the only objective is your football reputation.

The loss of Cinn. for basketball is huge and can only be further dilluted by adding all sports teams .
NCAA BB revenue is a much larger factor for G5 school than P5 schools so enhancing the BB reputation of the league is huge.
If you could add two BB centric schools like VCU , WSU, or Dayton for all sports except football you've could make the AAC a pretty good conference.
UConn
Temple
VCU
Wichita State
Dayton
Memphis
Tulsa
SMU
SFU
CFU
Tulane
ECU
Feel free to attack , my experience is any new suggestions should be run by the biggest naysayers .

Just a FYI, Wichita State may bring back its football team and may have already spoken to the Mountain West about it.

Wichita State interested in joining Mountain West, considering football

Reaction Score

UConn
Temple
VCU
Wichita State
Dayton
Memphis
Tulsa
SMU
SFU
CFU
Tulane
ECU

EXCLUSIVE: Email shows MTSU wants to join American Athletic Conference

Reaction Score
No No No No No No
Anything except MW reams is subtraction by addition
I have increasing faith that if we are not selected for the Big 12, we will be moving our programs elsewhere, perhaps including football - but NOT to independent status.

Reaction Score
I know that, the question is what conference is best for them
Especially their BB program .
I suspect going east helps their program more than going west
Ps the're a two + hour drive from Tulsa
The eyeball potential is much greater going east for their BB team

Reaction Score
Joseph Duarte ‏@Joseph_Duarte · 2h2 hours ago  Houston, TX
. @uhpres: "I've always said from very first day we are here to build a nationally competitive program in academics and athletics."

. @uhpres on Big 12: 'We'll do everything possible to showcase our university.' She calls @CoachTomHerman 'our trump card'

. @uhpres on whether concern about support from Big 12 north schools: 'I certainly hope not. I think we are asset no matter where we are.'

Reaction Score
Jake Trotter ‏@Jake_Trotter Aug 18

This email Bowlsby sent UH prez Khator July 26 sheds a tiny bit more light on Big 12’s expansion exploration process
04.jpg

Mark Blaudschun@blauds 5 mins ago
Big 12 expansion plans include an invitation to UConn to put its Big 12 pitch together
Big 12 adds UConn to official list

>>According to sources familiar with the process, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby has sent an E-Mail to University of Connecticut President Susan Herbst, and explaining the procedures UConn should follow to formally apply for membership.

Numerous–perhaps as many as 20–emails are expected to be sent by the Big 12 as it winds its way through the steps of expanding from 1o to perhaps 12 or even 14 schools. Various media outlets have reported that Houston has also been officially contacted by the Big 12. The rest of this article is available to subscribers only – to become a subscriber click here.<<

Reaction Score
I know that, the question is what conference is best for them
Especially their BB program .
I suspect going east helps their program more than going west
Great! In one brilliant move, we've got the potential to reach umass status.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
. @uhpres: "I've always said from very first day we are here to build a nationally competitive program in academics and athletics."

. @uhpres on Big 12: 'We'll do everything possible to showcase our university.' She calls @CoachTomHerman 'our trump card'

. @uhpres on whether concern about support from Big 12 north schools: 'I certainly hope not. I think we are asset no matter where we are.'

SO...their trump (probably need to change this term after the election) card is a head coach who will probably be there only one more year. Giving him a total of 3 years there. And he is the reason that the Big 12 should make a long term commitment to Houston.

Yep...that makes as much sense as anything else..

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Blauds just posted a new article and its very something.

According to sources familiar with the process, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby has sent an E-Mail to University of Connecticut President Susan Herbst, and explaining the procedures UConn should follow to formally apply for membership.

Numerous–perhaps as many as 20–emails are expected to be sent by the Big 12 as it winds its way through the steps of expanding from 1o to perhaps 12 or even 14 schools. Various media outlets have reported that Houston has also been officially contacted by the Big 12.

I mean who wants to bet he saw that leaked UH email and figured "well if UConn is an expansion candidate I bet Herbst got one of those too.... oh and those other 25 schools. Yeah them too. Time to start fishing for subscribers."

Reaction Score
I will never, ever pay this guys ransom to read what he writes.

Time to start fishing for subscribers."

I know a guy...

It essentially says that in addition to a presentation on full Big 12 membership - UConn is expected to have an alternate presentation ready which would include membership for football only. That would include a plan in which the Huskies men’s and women’s basketball teams schedule a series of games against Big 12 teams. That would allow the Huskies to move non-football sports to Big East as he mentioned yesterday.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I know a guy...

It essentially says that in addition to a presentation on full Big 12 membership - UConn is expected to have an alternate presentation ready which would include membership for football only. That would include a plan in which the Huskies men’s and women’s basketball teams schedule a series of games against Big 12 teams. That would allow the Huskies to move non-football sports to Big East as he mentioned yesterday.

Is that seriously what the rest of the article says?

Reaction Score
OK, so going off what Mark is saying, why not, Football and Bball to the B12, and all other sports to the Big East?

Would the BE have anything against this?

Easy trips for St. John's, Seton Hall, PC, Georgetown, Villanova, and maybe Xavier.

Reaction Score
Seriously?

That's what I was told and it's consistent to what Blaud has been peddling. You can decide to how much weight to put on the accuracy of what he reports. It could be an well intentioned leak as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom