Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 245 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
You were already aware of the process as described?
Not giving you guff for posting. Giving UH at large guff for thinking or leading others to believe that's a significant development.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I could well be wrong here but those instructions sound like what you would tell the general public (who you have no intention of considering) when you are required to publicly post a job opening that you have a predetermined candidate ready for hire.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I could well be wrong here but those instructions sound like what you would tell the general public (who you have no intention of considering) when you are required to publicly post a job opening that you have a predetermined candidate ready for hire.

As I said above, they are instructions that ensure that inquiries are handled by the General Counsel's office and the Big 12's law firm, thus ensuring that none of this is subject to FOIA.

Reaction Score
Power Lunch: Chat with columnist Berry Tramel

Tramel:
I don't disagree. Watering down the Big 12 would hurt recruiting even more. That's why I don't think the Big 12 will expand.

I find it interesting that Berry Tramel, arguably the preeminent sports columnist in the greater Oklahoma City metropolitan area (which includes Norman and, of course, OU) would contend expansion is unlikely while others claiming insight on expansion quote "Oklahoma sources."

It's like affirmation #10,000 that the local journalists covering the topic aren't in on everything and the bold tweeters are likely full of entertaining conjecture.

Based on everything I've seen and heard, I still believe expansion is likely. Probably two teams though, but that doesn't eliminate UConn. I'd say you're no less than tied for 12th. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
As I said above, they are instructions that ensure that inquiries are handled by the General Counsel's office and the Big 12's law firm, thus ensuring that none of this is subject to FOIA.
You may have misunderstood my comment. If a job is opening and the hiring manager knows who he wants, that person will receive different instructions on how to apply than the general public would receive. The instructions given to Houston sound like what they would give the dozen or so (of the eighteen) that they really have no interest in.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You may have misunderstood my comment. If a job is opening and the hiring manager knows who he wants, that person will receive different instructions on how to apply than the general public would receive. The instructions given to Houston sound like what they would give the dozen or so (of the eighteen) that they really have no interest in.

OK, I get that. I doubt that any candidate was given a different process, because they still need to follow this approach to keep it all away from FOIA. The fact that this email has been published is evidence of why they would insist on this approach.

Reaction Score

Who knows, but since he is being designated as the point person I thought these part of his bio interesting though...

"Represents a number of collegiate sports organizations, handling the negotiation of their television and sponsorship contracts and other financial arrangements, as well as assisting them in corporate and other business matters."

"Mr. Sweeney often lectures on various aspects of corporate finance and merger and acquisition transactional matters and has served as an Adjunct Professor of Law, teaching courses in “Mergers and Acquisitions.”

Then again - it is the Big12 and the whole process is FUBAR. Maybe Sweeney has the summer intern that needs to be kept busy. ;)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Then again - it is the Big12 and the whole process is FUBAR. Maybe Sweeney has the summer intern that needs to be kept busy. ;)

From the ratings, I assume at least a few of you have HBO and follow Silicon Valley. Also from these last few pages of posts, some clearly feel there is at least a modicum of FUBAR among the Powers-that-be.

Therefore I propose that we henceforth institute a RIGBY designation (Richard is Great, But Ya'know...) for, (Gilfoyle paraphrase) post scripting the nice things we need to say about the [Big XII] with nasty things...

I propose BIT-B12 (But It's The Big XII).

Reaction Score
I find it interesting that Berry Tramel, arguably the preeminent sports columnist in the greater Oklahoma City metropolitan area (which includes Norman and, of course, OU) would contend expansion is unlikely while others claiming insight on expansion quote "Oklahoma sources."

It's like affirmation #10,000 that the local journalists covering the topic aren't in on everything and the bold tweeters are likely full of entertaining conjecture.

None of the reporters for the Big 12 schools want expansion to happen. They don't think that any of the schools with the exception of BYU are good enough for the Big 12 conference. The Texas reporters don't want anything to happen to their beloved Longhorn Network. I think that it is an elitist viewpoint.

Reaction Score
Tramel:
I don't disagree. Watering down the Big 12 would hurt recruiting even more. That's why I don't think the Big 12 will expand.

That quote really shows me that Tramel knows very little about football and even less about recruiting in general. Football recruiting is very, very much a crap shoot more so than other sports. There are teams year in and year out who are top 25 caliber teams who do not get the top guys. There are only a handful of real definitive difference makers at div. 1 level year in and year out. Thinking that getting their product into new markets is going to water it down is absurd as well as ignorant. The truth is that with the small scholly limits there are plenty of players to go around. Adding teams would have no watering down impact whatsoever. This is the kind of head in the sand logic that has put the b12 where it is today.

Reaction Score
Tramel:

That quote really shows me that Tramel knows very little about football and even less about recruiting in general. Football recruiting is very, very much a crap shoot more so than other sports. There are teams year in and year out who are top 25 caliber teams who do not get the top guys. There are only a handful of real definitive difference makers at div. 1 level year in and year out. Thinking that getting their product into new markets is going to water it down is absurd as well as ignorant. The truth is that with the small scholly limits there are plenty of players to go around. Adding teams would have no watering down impact whatsoever. This is the kind of head in the sand logic that has put the b12 where it is today.

They were counting up recruits by stars.

It begs the question, were Kansas, Kansas St, Oklahoma St, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Iowa St, grabbing 4 and 5 star kids 10 years ago? Because if not, then nothing has changed. Compared to the SEC, the B12 was never recruiting at that level.

And Texas's recruiting is down for obvious reasons.

Reaction Score
None of the reporters for the Big 12 schools want expansion to happen. They don't think that any of the schools with the exception of BYU are good enough for the Big 12 conference. The Texas reporters don't want anything to happen to their beloved Longhorn Network. I think that it is an elitist viewpoint.

I hadn't noticed too many writers other than Tramel and Bohls opining that expansion won't happen. I'm not sure what their preferences are. But you may be right.

It's true that a lot of Texas fans are unhappy with the Big 12, the idea of expansion and the expansion targets. Instead they're pining for the day Texas goes to the Big 12, Pac 12 or SEC.

And I agree it is an elitist view point.

I'm probably in the minority among Texas fans but I happen to like the Big 12 and think some of the teams being considered would be wonderful additions.

I really UConn. I'd love to get some rivalries going with you Huskies in all the sports. We might can even beat you in some.

Reaction Score

2 weeks ago when Tramel said some favorable things about UConn to Matt in his interview the BY "experts" anointed him as Boren's mouthpiece & that we were clearly Boren's favorite as #11 or #12.

2 weeks later he says that he doesn't think that the B12 is going to expand and all of a sudden he's back to being some yahoo OK writer who doesn't know any of the facts about realignment.

Which is it? Maybe it is both. If you gave UT & OU the same bump in cash with or without expansion they would clearly choose to not expand. The B12 is most definitely having conversations with ESPN & FOX about expansion. Do any of you really believe that they haven't asked "How much more will you give us if we don't expand?" The answer at the beginning of this process was most certainly "NONE!" The more of a circus the B12 turns this into, the more likely the TV partners are to come back & say "Let's try & figure something out". The B12 has no interest in adding any of the schools mentioned & neither do the networks.

If the B12 does end up getting more money without having to expand it will actually be a pretty well played game of chicken by them

Reaction Score
2 weeks ago when Tramel said some favorable things about UConn to Matt in his interview the BY "experts" anointed him as Boren's mouthpiece & that we were clearly Boren's favorite as #11 or #12.

2 weeks later he says that he doesn't think that the B12 is going to expand and all of a sudden he's back to being some yahoo OK writer who doesn't know any of the facts about realignment.

Which is it? Maybe it is both. If you gave UT & OU the same bump in cash with or without expansion they would clearly choose to not expand. The B12 is most definitely having conversations with ESPN & FOX about expansion. Do any of you really believe that they haven't asked "How much more will you give us if we don't expand?" The answer at the beginning of this process was most certainly "NONE!" The more of a circus the B12 turns this into, the more likely the TV partners are to come back & say "Let's try & figure something out". The B12 has no interest in adding any of the schools mentioned & neither do the networks.

If the B12 does end up getting more money without having to expand it will actually be a pretty well played game of chicken by them
It would be at their own detriment. No expansion says the league has 8 years and is then forced to grab 2-4 G5 teams while trying to hold onto a P5 status. ESPN knows in 6-7 years it's P4 time if the big 12 doesn't expand. Best case for big12 not named ou or tx is to expand and extend gor by 5-10 years.

Maybe the big12 is like Schrödinger's cat. Both dead and alive at the same time.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score

Except in that scenario, there would be 8 out of 10 B12 schools feeling completely exposed come 2024. Most everyone is focused on UT and OU, but these other 8 schools are faced with a potential survival situation, and I doubt they cave on that option as easily as some expect.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

They could have provided those instructions knowing they'd be sniffed out in the media and then provided other instructions directly attorney to attorney to the candidates they are likely to accept.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Tech question for everyone: all I see when people copy/paste tweets is "Loading Tweet" and the Twitter icon. No actual tweet appears. Is there a setting adjustment I can make? Or is this site-specific?

Thanks in advance.
As others noted, if you're at work Twitter might be blocked. Otherwise, I believe the twitter button is a javascript component so you should confirm whether you're blocking the button or javascript. If you use plugins like ghostery or noscript, you may need to whitelist the site. You can test that by switching your browser.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
It would be at their own detriment. No expansion says the league has 8 years and is then forced to grab 2-4 G5 teams while trying to hold onto a P5 status. ESPN knows in 6-7 years it's P4 time if the big 12 doesn't expand. Best case for big12 not named ou or tx is to expand and extend gor by 5-10 years.

Maybe the big12 is like Schrödinger's cat. Both dead and alive at the same time.
Great Schrodinger reference but in the B-12's case it would be cats. The cat reprenting UT & OU will be alive, the cat representing. TT, TCU, Baylor, ISU & K St will be dead while the third cat, the one representing Ok St, KU & WVU would truly be Schrödingers.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Thanks everyone. I'm on my home Mac. I'll fiddle around with my settings and see if I can fix it.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Thanks everyone. I'm on my home Mac. I'll fiddle around with my settings and see if I can fix it.
You sir have contributed more to the CR cause than the majority of the board combined. We should pledge to ensure your issue is resolved in advance of your next great Husky educational campaign.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom