Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 160 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
David Teel ‏@DavidTeelatDP 5h5 hours ago
#ACC's latest tax return shows commitment to channel, third revenue bump of at least 30% in last four years.
ACC tax return shows commitment to channel project, 33-percent revenue increase

From the article:

Fueling the increase: The College Football Playoff’s 2014 debut, and Maryland’s $31.4 million exit fee – the Terps departed the ACC for the Big Ten. Courtesy of the CFP, the ACC’s bowl revenue nearly doubled, from $48.8 million to $94.2 million. Its television money increased modestly from $197.2 million to $217.9 million.

In other words, ACC schools should expect a lower payout next year.

Reaction Score
Kirk Bohls ‏@kbohls · 9h9 hours ago
Bohls: Cougar High? More like hi, Cougars — Houston deserves a Big 12 glance Bohls: Cougar High? More like hi, Cougars — Houston deserves a Big 12 glance | Hookem.com … via @bevobeat

Joseph_Duarte6:50pm via Twitter for iPhone
High ranking UT official tells @kbohls on UH: 'Texas will officially be for it. Realistically I cannot see getting 7 votes in favor however'

Joseph_Duarte6:53pm via Twitter for iPhone
From @kbohls column on UH to Big 12. Official says UT will favor but '6 out of state schools have zero interest adding another TX school.”

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Joseph_Duarte6:50pm via Twitter for iPhone
High ranking UT official tells @kbohls on UH: 'Texas will officially be for it. Realistically I cannot see getting 7 votes in favor however'

Joseph_Duarte6:53pm via Twitter for iPhone
From @kbohls column on UH to Big 12. Official says UT will favor but '6 out of state schools have zero interest adding another TX school.”
giphy.gif

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
What the hell is Hurling....they look like the UConn Quiditch team....is that basically the same thing?? The images I found online looked a lot like Quiditch minus the flying brooms....congrats to them nevertheles

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I truly had no clue what it was and their website only had a few random pics and not much else.

From watching those videos I have nothing to even remotely compare it to. Seems pretty crazy! As I said before, congrats to the team! A National Championship is a National Championship.

Reaction Score
Best part:

"half their fans are robbing 7-Elevens and the other half are eating there.”

Lmao. Funny line.

That joke was made in the 1970s by a TCU alum who was jealous of Houston's success, and had clearly racist overtones at the time.

Houston was the first school to integrate sports in this part of the world. Our student body has always been more diverse than the other SWC schools. When we would play private schools back then, they would hang signs like "Cage the Cougroes."

2299937_b32b_625x6251.jpg

So glad that you enjoyed the racist joke. Speaks highly of you.

Reaction Score
That joke was made in the 1970s by a TCU alum who was jealous of Houston's success, and had clearly racist overtones at the time.

Houston was the first school to integrate sports in this part of the world. Our student body has always been more diverse than the other SWC schools. When we would play private schools back then, they would hang signs like "Cage the Cougroes."

I was born in 76, I had no idea of the history. Given that history and your awareness of it, I'm shocked you'd want to again be in a conference with the likes of TCU. Why exactly would that be again?

Again, you mad bro?

imgres

Reaction Score

CougarRed lets break this down to the most simple assessment of UH to the Big12.

UH's attractiveness to the Big12 is entirely dependent on one factor. Can the Big12 currently carry a potential Big12 network in Houston? If teams like UT, TCU, TT, Baylor and Oklahoma are capable of drawing carriage fees for a Big12 network in Houston then UH is a redundant addition which does not make financial sense. If, on the other hand, UH is essential for cable providers to carry a Big12 network in Houston then they should probably be added.

Obviously there is a lot of history between UH and other Texas schools which we east coasters do not understand. I've heard everything from fear of UH's potential football to now racism over UH's potential exclusion. I've even heard the ridiculous "taking UH keeps the SEC out of Houston" ... like somehow all the TA&M and LSU fans in Houston are suddenly becoming Big12 fans cause UH is in the Big12?

There is one thing we can absolutely be certain of....the Big12 is looking at expansion for one main reason, money.
It is not about football, or rivalries, or dominating a market, or keeping the little guy down. It is about money. Any other arguments other than money for UH's inclusion are just false prophets.

If UH increases the revenue stream more than other alternative programs they will get the nod. My guess is UH's territory is already sufficiently "sold" in the Big12 and they cannot generate the market that schools coming from a entirely new region can. That does not mean UH is a worthless program nor is it an assessment of UH's athletic value. UH would be much more attractive to a conference like the PAC or ACC who has no Texas representation.

Anyways no one like to hear their school get bashed. Personally I think UH is a pretty impressive program and could eventually work their way into a P5 conference. But it is hard to get into a conference when there are already 4 team from the same state in that conference. That is not racism...that is business.

Reaction Score
As a token Texan and Texas fan, I'll tell you exactly what I think, feel, know and suspect about Houston, the city and the university.

Texas fans old enough to remember the '70s still get nauseated at the memory of Houston's 30-0 win over Texas in 1976 and wince at the terrible beating Pardee and Jenkin's run and shoot Couagrs put on the Horns in the late '80s. Such Texas fans despise UofH accordingly, but bitterness like that actually make for a good rivalry. When Texas finally beat Houston in 1990 it was one of our happiest memories and without a doubt the very loudest our home stadium has ever been.

On the admin level, Texas sponsored UofH's membership into the SWC and it is believed Texas actually wanted to take Houston into the Big 12 instead of Baylor. Small private church schools have been a chain around Texas' ankle since the old SWC days so it utterly amazes me to hear Texas supported TCU's admission to the Big 12 and the rampant speculation that BYU could possible be Texas' pick for expansion.

Texas and Houston continued to play each other in football and especially in baseball after the end of the SWC. Texas baseball fans have the utmost respect for Houston baseball.

Texas and Houston had a very ugly, very public falling out about eight or ten years ago when Houston had to move a home football game against Texas from a bigger venue to a smaller one on campus and compensated for the capacity difference by setting up seemingly rickety bleachers of death in the endzone.

But I doubt if anybody from either institution is still in place and I doubt that anybody still remembers or cares about that episode. Texans are passionate people. It's our nature to bitch and moan artfully and then let it go like it never happened.

With Tom Herman having success at Houston I can see Texas having some trepidation about boosting UofH recruiting with P5 legitimacy, but honestly, the pool of talent in Texas is so abundant and scholarships are so limited that any concerns are probably overstated. Texas will still get most of the recruits they want even with Houston feeding at the trough.

Houston is a very cool city. Probably one of the coolest cities in the world. Love the Chinese street signs, James Coney Island, and how business women dress like hookers and hookers dress like business women.

Love the Astros. They've broken my heart more than all of my exes put together.

I toured the UofH facilities with one of my sons who's visiting colleges and I was a little disappointed. I don't mind the THird Ward because I work there one week every couple of months but I thought the facilities were kind of small and second rate. I enjoyed their sports hall of fame though. Very cool.

Houston does not expand the Big 12 footprint so personally I see no point in extending an offer to the UofH. But I saw even less point in inviting TCU and now they're in so what the hell do I know?

Reaction Score
Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS · 37m37 minutes ago
With Starr, McCaw and Briles now gone, I doubt anything of substance happens at the Big 12 meetings. (Not that I expected otherwise.)

Brian DavisVerified account
@BDavisAAS
Covers the Texas Longhorns for the Austin American-Statesman

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 1h1 hour ago
Baylor athletic spokesman says associate AD Todd Patulski will fulfill AD duties and also represent the school at Big 12 meetings this week.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS · 37m37 minutes ago
With Starr, McCaw and Briles now gone, I doubt anything of substance happens at the Big 12 meetings. (Not that I expected otherwise.)

Brian DavisVerified account
@BDavisAAS
Covers the Texas Longhorns for the Austin American-Statesman
Shut your mouth right now.

Reaction Score
David Benedict Retweeted

UConn Huskies ‏@UConnHuskies · 3h3 hours ago

Only three schools to play in a bowl, the NCAA men's and women's basketball and baseball tournaments this year are: UConn, Texas A&M, Miami
Only one school played in a bowl, men's & women's hoops, men's & women's soccer and baseball tournaments this year: UConn

Within the next two years we'll be able to add hockey to that list as well. We're competitive-to-elite in literally every team sport that matters.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
David Benedict Retweeted

UConn Huskies ‏@UConnHuskies · 3h3 hours ago

Only three schools to play in a bowl, the NCAA men's and women's basketball and baseball tournaments this year are: UConn, Texas A&M, Miami
Attaboy

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom