Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 158 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

pj

Reaction Score
Anyone have comparable data for the Hartford-New Haven market?

Reaction Score
Those are good numbers for U of H, but as tzz points out, Texas is down.

Reaction Score

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Cable subscribers in Houston already pay for the Long Horn Network. If the Big Ten inviting Rutgers has shown anything it's that the University of Houston offers the Big XII nothing except a harder route to the Championship game for Texas.

Reaction Score
This is now part of the UH Campaign:

MarkBermanFox26May 23, 11:02pm via Twitter for iPhone
Top 20 rated College football games n Houston market for 2015 season.Of top 10 games:SEC 60%, @UHCougarFB 20%, Big 12 20%
View attachment 13801

Also, not for nothing but these aren't gangbuster numbers. The Houston-Temple game was the American title game, televised nationally on ESPN with no competition. Additionally, Navy has an enormous presence in Texas and was pretty damn good this past year and that match up on the last day of the regular season after we beat Houston was a de facto play in game for the AAC title.

The fact that Houston couldn't crack 4.4 on a single other game this season is more telling of their presence in that market, IMO.

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton Verified account 
‏@ChuckCarltonDMN

If timeline in @ChipBrownHD report is correct and Ken Starr is out by end of May, Big 12 will have 3 interim presidents at spring meetings.

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 25m25 minutes ago
Even more reason to take a breath on expansion

Stewart Mandel Verified account 
‏@slmandel

Which means nothing will get done on expansion.

R Boyd ‏@RRB4KU · 20m20 minutes ago
@ChuckCarltonDMN @ChipBrownHD Isn't Starr one of the three Big 12 presidents on the membership/expansion committee?

Chuck Carlton Verified account 
‏@ChuckCarltonDMN

@RRB4KU You are correct. Officially, it's called the "composition committee" and also includes Boren and Gee.

R Boyd ‏@RRB4KU · 17m17 minutes ago
@ChuckCarltonDMN This further strengthens Boren's role - if that's even possible. Wonder who would fill Starr's role?

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 15m15 minutes ago
@RRB4KU Great question. Tech and K-State presidents are interim as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 25m25 minutes ago
Even more reason to take a breath on expansion

Stewart Mandel Verified account 
‏@slmandel

Which means nothing will get done on expansion.

It's borderline hilarious how badly most in the national media do not want to see expansion happen. God forbid anything upset their status quo.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
It's borderline hilarious how badly most in the national media do not want to see expansion happen. God forbid anything upset their status quo.

I keep trying to convince myself that it's not a conspiracy designed to keep UConn out of the P5... but I don't remember them being all that anti-expansion when the SEC, the Big 10, the ACC, or the PAC-12 decided to expand...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Anyone have comparable data for the Hartford-New Haven market?

UConn-Mizzou on ESPN at Noon, Sept 19 pulled a 4.1 local in Hartford/New Haven. The other numbers are tough to find or not apples to apples since they are on different networks. A very solid local rating given the fact that there was not much hype around the game (in fact, I think most UConn fans were convinced we were going to get blown out heading into the game).

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Also, not for nothing but these aren't gangbuster numbers. The Houston-Temple game was the American title game, televised nationally on ESPN with no competition. Additionally, Navy has an enormous presence in Texas and was pretty damn good this past year and that match up on the last day of the regular season after we beat Houston was a de facto play in game for the AAC title.

The fact that Houston couldn't crack 4.4 on a single other game this season is more telling of their presence in that market, IMO.

I know I'm breaking the Key Tweet thread rule by opining here, but since it's gone to Hell...

I think the Houston TV market can be easily studied based on one week's ratings: Saturday, November 2, PrimeTime.

That night, Houston played against Memphis in the biggest regular season AAC game ever. Houston's coach made a very big deal about selling the place out and being loud on national TV. The school literally gave away free tickets to make sure it was full for TV. Kickoff was 7PM. ESPN2 national coverage. How many people watched? 748K. A .6 national...an absolutely DREADFUL rating for a game that was hyped so much. No idea what the local Houston rating was for the game but it came nowhere near the rating for OU/Baylor (see below).

Meanwhile, at 8PM and down the road in Waco, OU vs Baylor kicked off at 8PM. ABC national coverage. Game pulled a 4.9 local (Houston), 3.8 national.

plug-jpg.13801

Yes, Houston watches college football. But they don't want Houston if given the choice.

Again, Houston to the B12 helps Houston FAR more than the B12. That market is already saturated with SEC and B12 coverage.

Reaction Score
Of the three I believe Starr was least inclined to expand.
Maybe this is a good sign that he is hitting the road.

Reaction Score
Of the three I believe Starr was least inclined to expand.
Maybe this is a good sign that he is hitting the road.

For everyone that's not at Baylor, yeah. That place is a cesspool right now. We're talking Paterno-Sandusky level corruption and evil.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS · 2h2 hours ago
We’re examining possible Big 12 expansion targets. A look at Cincinnati.
The Big 12 Expansion Tour: Cincinnati | Hookem.com

The level of laziness with the "If they brought they money, they'd already be in" is sickening. It's ridiculous. It's like telling Jordan Spieth he shouldn't be invited to the 2015 Masters (which he won) because he didn't play in 2014 (when he was an amateur).

They mention the Learfield Cup standings, so I checked UConn. #41. Which would be 5th in the Big 12.
For kicks: Cinci: 88, CSU: 109, USF: 72, UCF: 215, Memphis: 215, BYU: 24.

Reaction Score
Cable subscribers in Houston already pay for the Long Horn Network.

Incorrect. UT and ESPN have tried for years and cannot get the LHN on Comcast in Houston. It's on UVerse, Dish, etc. But not Comcast, the largest cable provider.

Reaction Score
Dude, are they going to get a higher carriage fee with Houston than without? Is that enough? SNY was able to charge 2.65 to be in CT, when they added UCONN programming. I have no idea,what a,big12 network would charge in CT, but it would not be insignificant.

pj

Reaction Score
Dude, are they going to get a higher carriage fee with Houston than without? Is that enough? SNY was able to charge 2.65 to be in CT, when they added UCONN programming. I have no idea,what a,big12 network would charge in CT, but it would not be insignificant.

Just for our Houston visitors, that's $2.65 per month * 1.3 million cable households * 12 months = $41 million/year for UConn's Tier 3 content plus some leftover higher tier content not taken nationally. Mostly women's and men's basketball.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
UT is using Baylor, TT and TCU to point a gun at the rest of the Big12...to add Houston to that mix is essentially to give Texas the bullets.

And whether our visitor from Houston wants to admit it to himself, the minute their booster called out the UT board was the minute it was clear as day that Houston is out of the running.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UT is using Baylor, TT and TCU to point a gun at the rest of the Big12...to add Houston to that mix is essentially to give Texas the bullets.

Oh, I'd caution you against buying into that assumption.

That narrative (that Texas controls TCU and Texas Tech) all stems from a May 3rd Cincinnati Enquirer article that claimed seven Big 12 teams were pro-expansion while Texas Tech and TCU were siding with Texas to be anti-expansion.

The author of that article did not cite any facts to support that claim. He did not quote anyone, not even the "anonymous insider."

He simply prefaced the statement with the phrase "It is believed."

I seriously doubt that scenario.

Prior to the article coming out, I had heard Kansas State was ant-expansion. Recent quotes by their AD John Currie seem to confirm that.

I had also heard Baylor was anti-expansion while TCU was pro-expansion.

The Cincinnati Enquirer article was just a guess. Conjecture. There's no way for anybody to know anything that hasn't already gone on record.

And as for TCU feeling so obligated to Texas for the chance to be in the Big 12 that they would gladly submit to Texas' subjugation is just crazy.

Do you honestly think any university would give up its own self interest that way?

Reaction Score
I lived in Houston for 6 years, UofH is 4th behind UT, aTm, and LSU in the market. 4th may be generous because OU is right there too. Just drive around neighborhoods and look at all the silly flags people put out.

Reaction Score
SXM College Sports ‏@SiriusXMCollege · 5h5 hours ago
. @TTuberville said he can't believe that the Big 12 hasn't expanded yet and any team would be interested in joining.

SXM College Sports ‏@SiriusXMCollege · 5h5 hours ago
. @TTuberville tells us that if the Big 12 doesn't expand it will implode. He doesn't think it will stay status quo.

SXM College Sports‏@SiriusXMCollege
Listen: @TTuberville weighs in on the future of the #Big12.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom