Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 159 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

Which means more obstacles. Because one person in the Big 12 might be intrigued by Connecticut, seeing a new part of the country opened up for recruiting and exposure, while another may see increased travel headaches and costs, as well as a football stadium that’s too small.

Asked if it felt like the league was deciding between a bunch of “B-minus” options, one source laughed, and said, “that’s a good way to put it."

Read more here: The promise and frustration of Big 12 expansion, seen as inevitable by many and needless by some

We can expand 'n stadium if need be - what does it matter to you anyway unnamed source!? @Dooley you know what to do, you know what to do.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And as for TCU feeling so obligated to Texas for the chance to be in the Big 12 that they would gladly submit to Texas' subjugation is just crazy.

Do you honestly think any university would give up its own self interest that way?
No, I don't. It is reasonable, however, for them decide that not angering 'the big dog' is in their self-interest.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Mellinger is one of the best columnists in the country. That is probably the most accurate depiction of what is going on.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Mellinger is one of the best columnists in the country. That is probably the most accurate depiction of what is going on.
Yes, the telling part was that he mentioned he talked to ~6 people "involved in the process". How many POV's were in Rashomon? I suspect other media types are talking to one or two people who may be involved in the process or two or three desks away from the process.

Reaction Score
Big 12 Update ‏@Big12Update · 44m44 minutes ago
Big 12 Expansion's Point of No Return
Big 12 expansion inching toward point of no return.

Stand pat? The Big 12 can't like the idea of being $20 million behind the SEC and the Big Ten in the future. But invite the wrong programs (like, perhaps, UConn and Boise State) and the conference might find itself $25 or $30 million behind per team instead.

If the Big 12 is indeed unable to stand tall next to the behemoth budget of the SEC and Big Ten, kneecapping itself by inviting East Carolina isn't going to help.

That doesn't mean expansion is an awful idea. BYU would be a program in the top half of the Big 12 and deliver a nationwide fan base to support it and suddenly care very much about games between Texas Tech and West Virginia for the first time ever.

Cincinnati isn't New York City, but it's a football and basketball brand that wouldn't dilute the Big 12's on-field product, and the Bearcats would give the Big 12 a leg to stand on in Ohio. That would be valuable when selling a television network, and it would giving the league a better chance to recruit the state would make coaches smile. Additionally, Cincinnati would give some relief to West Virginia's annual travel and solidify the Big 12's reach to the east.

Reaction Score
Big 12 Update ‏@Big12Update · 44m44 minutes ago
Big 12 Expansion's Point of No Return
Big 12 expansion inching toward point of no return.

Stand pat? The Big 12 can't like the idea of being $20 million behind the SEC and the Big Ten in the future. But invite the wrong programs (like, perhaps, UConn and Boise State) and the conference might find itself $25 or $30 million behind per team instead.

If the Big 12 is indeed unable to stand tall next to the behemoth budget of the SEC and Big Ten, kneecapping itself by inviting East Carolina isn't going to help.

That doesn't mean expansion is an awful idea. BYU would be a program in the top half of the Big 12 and deliver a nationwide fan base to support it and suddenly care very much about games between Texas Tech and West Virginia for the first time ever.

Cincinnati isn't New York City, but it's a football and basketball brand that wouldn't dilute the Big 12's on-field product, and the Bearcats would give the Big 12 a leg to stand on in Ohio. That would be valuable when selling a television network, and it would giving the league a better chance to recruit the state would make coaches smile. Additionally, Cincinnati would give some relief to West Virginia's annual travel and solidify the Big 12's reach to the east.

1. Any evidence that UConn would make the B12 less profitable? No, of course not.

2. Cincy isn't NY. But lets fail to mention the one school that IS a part of NY.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
1. Any evidence that UConn would make the B12 less profitable? No, of course not.

2. Cincy isn't NY. But lets fail to mention the one school that IS a part of NY.
Yeah. I saw that article this morning and didn't bother posting. Just Dave Ubben's (formerly ESPN's big 12 blogger) opinion with no facts to back it up.

Reaction Score
John Shinn ‏@john_shinn · 26m26 minutes ago  Oklahoma City, OK
Bowlsby on expansion: "The one thing I have said to our CEOs is that we’re pretty well through our research process …

Bowlsby cont'd: We need to get down the line and on the path and make some decisions. Don’t think there’s any point in letting that linger…

John Shinn ‏@john_shinn · 25m25 minutes ago  Oklahoma City, OK
Bowlsby potential expansion: I would hope by the end of the summer we’ve made some of these decisions — one way or the other. #Big12

John Shinn‏@john_shinn
Bowlsby on Ken Starr's role at next week's Big 12 meetings: Isn’t known at this point. Baylor's leadership will decide who will represent it

Reaction Score
"That means the Big 12, like any other power league, would be dipping into leagues like the Big East, American Athletic, or Mountain West."

St John's and Georgetown to the Big 12!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
"That means the Big 12, like any other power league, would be dipping into leagues like the Big East, American Athletic, or Mountain West."

St John's and Georgetown to the Big 12!

Tip of the cards?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Bowlsby on expansion: "The one thing I have said to our CEOs is that we’re pretty well through our research process …

Bowlsby cont'd: We need to get down the line and on the path and make some decisions. Don’t think there’s any point in letting that linger…

John Shinn ‏@john_shinn · 25m25 minutes ago  Oklahoma City, OK
Bowlsby potential expansion: I would hope by the end of the summer we’ve made some of these decisions — one way or the other. #Big12

John Shinn‏@john_shinn
Bowlsby on Ken Starr's role at next week's Big 12 meetings: Isn’t known at this point. Baylor's leadership will decide who will represent it

I don't think Ken Starr is going to be attending any meetings soon as Baylor's rep. The Board of Regents just blew up the football program, fired Briles, demoted Starr and sanctioned the AD.

Reaction Score
Have you ever been in the plant near Cincy? It's very cool, much of the facility is underground. I understand it was built to withstand a small 1950s like nuclear bomb.

Have only been to the airport in Cincy, which is actually in Kentucky. That said, would ever go to a GE engine plant as combining my old man and his old man, my family as over 100 years of history with P&W engines ;)

Reaction Score
I work for the General ( here in CT). The Cincy folks are moving into a sweet new building right on the riverfront for 2000 people. A block or so from Great America Ballpark, which is just an awesome stadium

Reaction Score
We apologize for interrupting your GE/Cincinnati discussion but we have a breaking news bulletin regarding Big 12's future from the mouth of Big 12 commissioner Bowlsby.

Per the uploaded video last night, the presidents and chancellors are going to meet next week and get all the data from their researchers dumped on their lap. No decisions expected next week at all. The Presidents/Chancellors will then take this info back with them mull stuff over and Bowlsby hopes that a final decision is made one way or the other on expansion/champ game/conference network by mid to late summer.

So one way or another we may very well know the fate of UConn athletics for the next 8-9 years in the next 2-3 months.

Now back to your regularly scheduled GE/Cincinnati discussion

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We apologize for interrupting your GE/Cincinnati discussion but we have a breaking news bulletin regarding Big 12's future from the mouth of Big 12 commissioner Bowlsby.

Per the uploaded video last night, the presidents and chancellors are going to meet next week and get all the data from their researchers dumped on their lap. No decisions expected next week at all. The Presidents/Chancellors will then take this info back with them mull stuff over and Bowlsby hopes that a final decision is made one way or the other on expansion/champ game/conference network by mid to late summer.

So one way or another we may very well know the fate of UConn athletics for the next 8-9 years in the next 2-3 months.

Now back to your regularly scheduled GE/Cincinnati discussion

GE is a global conglomerate that at one point was the largest corporation in the world. Boasting an outlet in your city is like bragging about having a McDonald's and a traffic light.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
The 'GEE' Marriott code is saving me a lot of money for my upcoming trip to Burlington, VT.

Reaction Score
David Teel ‏@DavidTeelatDP 5h5 hours ago
#ACC's latest tax return shows commitment to channel, third revenue bump of at least 30% in last four years.
ACC tax return shows commitment to channel project, 33-percent revenue increase

From the article:

Tax season was as encouraging for the ACC as its football and men’s basketball seasons, with the league’s federal return showing revenue increased more than 30 percent for the third time in four years.

Moreover, the return released Friday confirms how aggressively the ACC is exploring a new media package with ESPN.

Since the league’s additions of Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville and Notre Dame, commissioner John Swofford has been cautiously optimistic about the ACC teaming with television partner ESPN on a dedicated channel/platform(s). Dean Jordan of Los Angeles-based Wasserman Media Group has been advising the conference on the project, and this most recent tax return shows the ACC paid Wasserman $624,704 during 2014-15, the first such payment to appear on the league’s recent Form 990s.

That expense, or investment, was more than offset by the ACC’s 33.4-percent revenue increase. The conference reported $403,126,767 in revenue, a bump of more than $100 million from the previous year’s $302,306,749.

Fueling the increase: The College Football Playoff’s 2014 debut, and Maryland’s $31.4 million exit fee – the Terps departed the ACC for the Big Ten. Courtesy of the CFP, the ACC’s bowl revenue nearly doubled, from $48.8 million to $94.2 million. Its television money increased modestly from $197.2 million to $217.9 million.

The windfalls translated to a 35.8-percent spike in distributions to member schools. The amounts ranged from $27.61 million to Florida State to $23.96 million to Syracuse, with an average full share of $26.2 million, up from 2013-14’s $19.3 million and more than double just four years ago (see chart below).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom