Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 113 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So, if this were true for all sports (not sure if this is the case), The Big12 needs to lose 5 to be disbanded. If it loses 2 (down to eight), the media contract becomes void and the media partners have say on who is invited. Big12 on very shakey ground. No wonder Texas doesn't want expansion.

Big12 dead conference walking.
I don't the media contract rules and NCAA credit rules are identical. In any event paragraph E contemplates a mass exodus and gives the conference a year to get up to minimum levels.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I don't the media contract rules and NCAA credit rules are identical. In any event paragraph E contemplates a mass exodus and gives the conference a year to get up to minimum levels.

How do we know what the media contract is? I have never seen anything but the Big12 bylaws and the incomplete GoR. None of us have, it's not public record. We have no clue but what was rumored to have been in it, and there isn't a whole lot of certainty there. The rumor was that the media contract was null and void if the conference fell to eight members. The Big12 could add two more, but it had to be with the agreement of the conference. They couldn't add anybody. If Fox and ESPN want the Big12 to go away, this would be their out (if it were true, which it probably isn't).

Even if it were, take a look at Section F:

F. If 50 percent or more of the member institutions in a given conference leave the conference
simultaneously and the remaining conference membership falls below six member institutions,
the conference shall be considered disbanded and each member institution shall retain the
units it earned in the basketball fund as if the conference had in fact disbanded.

It doesn't give a period of time to make it right. It says that if half of the conference is lost, and that brings them down below six schools, the basketball conference is considered disbanded. Doesn't give a time frame and gives the credits to the schools.

So, if KU and OU go to the Big 10, Texas and TTU go to the PAC and WVU finds a way into the ACC/SEC, their tournament credits can go with them. 10 teams losing 5 is 50% and it would put them below 6. They would be considered disbanded and They can give their credits to their new conference.

Again, this isn't happening, but I still think the Big12 is a dead conference walking. May not be now, but in 6-7 years the main teams will be gone or in the process of leaving.

CL82

Reaction Score
How do we know what the media contract is? I have never seen anything but the Big12 bylaws and the incomplete GoR. None of us have, it's not public record. We have no clue but what was rumored to have been in it, and there isn't a whole lot of certainty there. The rumor was that the media contract was null and void if the conference fell to eight members. The Big12 could add two more, but it had to be with the agreement of the conference. They couldn't add anybody. If Fox and ESPN want the Big12 to go away, this would be their out (if it were true, which it probably isn't).

Even if it were, take a look at Section F:

It doesn't give a period of time to make it right. It says that if half of the conference is lost, and that brings them down below six schools, the basketball conference is considered disbanded. Doesn't give a time frame and gives the credits to the schools.

So, if KU and OU go to the Big 10, Texas and TTU go to the PAC and WVU finds a way into the ACC/SEC, their tournament credits can go with them. 10 teams losing 5 is 50% and it would put them below 6. They would be considered disbanded and They can give their credits to their new conference.

Again, this isn't happening, but I still think the Big12 is a dead conference walking. May not be now, but in 6-7 years the main teams will be gone or in the process of leaving.
KU and OU go to the Big 10. The conference now gets a year to rebuild. A week later Texas and TTU go the PAC and the next week WVU goes to the ACC. Does the conference lose the 1 year that they got after the first event. I don't know, but I suspect not. I think for F to apply everyone would have to line up their departures. It's possible, given the stakes.

Reaction Score
I would think that if 5 members left before anyone was added, that would qualify. Especially since people don't leave a week later than one another; they announce they're going to leave at the beginning of school year X. I think that, if 5 schools all leave with the same planned date, and no one is added before that date arrives, then F would apply.

CL82

Reaction Score
I would think that if 5 members left before anyone was added, that would qualify. Especially since people don't leave a week later than one another; they announce they're going to leave at the beginning of school year X. I think that, if 5 schools all leave with the same planned date, and no one is added before that date arrives, then F would apply.
I think you may be right. My first reaction was to think that coordinating the timing of the departures of different schools going to different conferences might be tough, especially since doing so is an breach of the bylaws (actions detrimental to conference, etc.) but I can see it happening to preserve credits. I guess you'd have to look at the value on the NCAA credits at issue. A school like Kansas might want to preserve their basketball credits but would matter as much to enough of the others? I'm not so sure.

Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs 18h18 hours ago
B12 commish: Chance of even a vote on champ game next week "50-50" http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...itle-game-vote-next-week-no-better-than-50-50

Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs · 4h4 hours ago
1) What's the point of breaking even? 2) Name me two teams that bring $1 over $42 million in equity per annum; 3) can stage champ game w/ 10

Seasileo ‏@ToddSeastrand · 1h1 hour ago
@dennisdoddcbs The TV contract will increase proportionally to how many teams they have. new team(s) dont have 2 bring $21 M to break even

Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs · 3m3 minutes ago
@ToddSeastrand Once again -- WHO IS GOING TO PAY FOR IT?

Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs 18h18 hours ago
B12 commish: Chance of even a vote on champ game next week "50-50" http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...itle-game-vote-next-week-no-better-than-50-50

1) What's the point of breaking even? 2) Name me two teams that bring $1 over $42 million in equity per annum; 3) can stage champ game w/ 10

@dennisdoddcbs The TV contract will increase proportionally to how many teams they have. new team(s) dont have 2 bring $21 M to break even

Dodd has apparently never heard of a contract.

One of the worst reporters in America.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Jason Kersey[URL='https://twitter.com/help/verified']V erified account
@jasonkersey
Award-winning journalist covering #Sooners football for @TheOklahoman/@NewsOKSports | Dog lover | jkersey@oklahoman.com
‏[/URL]

@jasonkersey
David Boren just spoke with reporters for an hour about the Big 12. Lots to sift through, but he doesn't expect a vote on a CCG next week

@jasonkersey OU president David Boren doesn't expect a vote next week on a Big 12 title game: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-president-david-boren-doesnt-expect-a-vote-next-week-on-adding-a-big-12-title-game/article/5475314…

@jasonkersey David Boren made one thing clear today: In his opinion, The Longhorn Network is a major problem for the league. He wants a Big 12 network

@jasonkersey Boren also said he, Baylor's Kenneth Starr & WVU's Gordon Gee comprise the Big 12's expansion subcommittee, which has existed for a year

@jasonkersey David Boren on OU's Sooner Sports TV: "Are we willing to give it up if we got a Big 12 network? Yes."

@jasonkersey David Boren wouldn't say which teams are candidates for Big 12 expansion, but did concede that they're probably the 6 of 7 we think they are

Reaction Score

When they lose at least 2 teams at the end of their contract and they are down to 8 or fewer teams, it will be too late to back fill w the G5 they have left to die. #thentheywillbefuc**ed .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Adding UConn & Cincy would make it arguably the No. 1 league in both men's and women's hoops, no?
Nah, probably not. Even with UConn and Cincy I'd still say the ACC would be a better basketball league overall. And the Big 10 is right there too.

And anyway, "Football drives the bus." ™

Reaction Score
Nah, probably not. Even with UConn and Cincy I'd still say the ACC would be a better basketball league overall. And the Big 10 is right there too.

And anyway, "Football drives the bus." ™

I feel like Big 12 would be deeper. In order of basketball prestige, ACC is UNC, Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, and then what? Notre Dame? Pitt? UVA has picked it up recently, but I don't think anybody considers that an elite program. Miami is having a hot year, but that's not normal. Most of the rest of the league is pretty mediocre. Big XII would be Kansas, UConn, Oklahoma, Texas, OK State, WVU, Iowa State, Baylor, Cincy all very good programs. Only Tech, TCU, and K-State are middling, and none are outright bad programs. Well, maybe Tech is.

Reaction Score

I thought this was obvious.

There are actually REAL POINTS given by the committee to conferences with a championship game.

So, holding one provides you the same benefit as other conferences.

So, we know the B12 needs such a game, and we know they can do that with 10 teams, no need for 12.

BUT, having your #1 and #2 meeting again in a CG takes emphasis off their first meeting, especially if these 2 teams are Texas and Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
Dodd has apparently never heard of a contract.

One of the worst reporters in America.

Dodd was the reporter who broke the story:

The new Big 12 TV deal is expected to be announced any day, perhaps here this week as a celebration of the league's new-found strength. Within that deal is a clause that will give any new expansion candidates the same money as the current members (estimated to be at least $20 million per year).

One industry source said that number applies whether the Big 12 invites, "Appalachian State or Florida State." And according to another industry source, ESPN wouldn't stand in the way of Big 12 expansion even after negotiating a new deal with the ACC.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...n-and-feeling-its-oats-sitting-at-10-12-or-14

Reaction Score
If the b12n is setup like the BTN, this would deliver incremental revenue over what teams receive now. If ESPN pays the same should the b12 expand this is a no brainer and we should be number 1 on their expansion list because our tv market is ranked 21 in the USA. That's 21 which includes some of the most affluent zip codes in the country. Houston is already covered by UT. Cinn is 2nd in Ohio.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom