Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 110 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Well that didn't take long for the Big 12 to not put on a unified face.

Of course what happened today doesn't mean they WON'T expand. It just means they don't have to. But I wonder what happens if a power like Oklahoma stomps its feet really loud when you've got a massive conference or two who would love to add you.

Also for all of us upset about the vote not going the way we wanted it, picture yourself as a Cincinnati fan, where it's been assumed that you're probably going to be one of the 2 teams taken. I would assume those in Cincy are all over the bridges right now.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It takes some real wordsmithing to extract that meaning from his statement.

I disagree. Words mean something, I thought there was a reason that Bowlsby kept putting the 'forced' into the sentence. I found this blurb in the article that bobbyinaz linked to in the "Vote is in ..." thread:

However, Bowlsby wouldn't rule out expansion.
"We are constantly monitoring the landscape," Bowlsby said. "What it does is keep us from being forced to expand."

The article also mentions that the Big XII member schools meet in February. Today's vote gives them more options to consider when they meet. The chance of expansion probably went down today, but I don't think it is down to zero.

Reaction Score
Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS · 16h16 hours ago
Statement from Greg Fenves, Mike Perrin on Big 12 vote: "This vote opens up a lot of possibilities that we need to look at closely." 1/2

Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS · 16h16 hours ago
More Fenves/Perrin: "We're looking forward to speaking with Commissioner Bowlsby and the other Big 12 schools about it." 2/2

Note: Greg Fenves is the President of UT. Perrin is the AD.

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 13h13 hours ago
To be honest, no one has done more to foster the image of instability in the Big 12 the past year more than David Boren.

@texdanr Every time the president of OU stands up and postures, it starts 10 rumors the conference is about to implode. Why do it?

@HoustonCentrikS Not UT at all. New administration not a factor in Big 12 yet. Boren just undercut everything Bowlsby accomplished today.

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 12h12 hours ago
@DezyHume So he undercuts the commissioner and tries to steal a headline on a day when the Big 12 does something right?

@DezyHume It's timing and perception. Why say it now when the national storyline is the Big 12 joining rest of power 5 with title game?

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 11h11 hours ago
@TexasRoundball Essentially, there's a power vacuum in Big 12 and it looks like Boren is determined to fill it.

@TexasRoundball Also, my sources tell me its 3 for expansion, 3 in the middle and 4 against in Big 12. That's way more than just Texas.

@DezyHume OU wants expansion. WVU wants expansion for a travel partner. Third possibility K-State. Snyder says he likes divisions.

@DezyHume Baylor apparently on the fence, I'm told. Peter Thamel of SI reports the same thing in this breakdown.
http://Post original url/1l8oGoo

@ChuckCarltonDMN
Reporting on all things Big 12 for the Dallas Morning News

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
To be honest, no one has done more to foster the image of instability in the Big 12 the past year more than David Boren.

@texdanr Every time the president of OU stands up and postures, it starts 10 rumors the conference is about to implode. Why do it?

@HoustonCentrikS Not UT at all. New administration not a factor in Big 12 yet. Boren just undercut everything Bowlsby accomplished today.

@DezyHume So he undercuts the commissioner and tries to steal a headline on a day when the Big 12 does something right?

@DezyHume It's timing and perception. Why say it now when the national storyline is the Big 12 joining rest of power 5 with title game?

@TexasRoundball Essentially, there's a power vacuum in Big 12 and it looks like Boren is determined to fill it.

@TexasRoundball Also, my sources tell me its 3 for expansion, 3 in the middle and 4 against in Big 12. That's way more than just Texas.

@DezyHume OU wants expansion. WVU wants expansion for a travel partner. Third possibility K-State. Snyder says he likes divisions.

@DezyHume Baylor apparently on the fence, I'm told. Peter Thamel of SI reports the same thing in this breakdown.
http://Post original url/1l8oGoo

@ChuckCarltonDMN
Reporting on all things Big 12 for the Dallas Morning News

This guy is not a mouthpiece for Texas? Right. Oklahoma and Texas are having a very public pissing match right now. I don't know if it will help us, although I don't see how things could be any worse.

Reaction Score
This guy is not a mouthpiece for Texas? Right. Oklahoma and Texas are having a very public pissing match right now. I don't know if it will help us, although I don't see how things could be any worse.

Surprised you wanted to bring this up since you were proven completely wrong the last time you went out of your way to criticize him.

He's tweeting his opinion, which happens to be is super critical of OU. Doesn't make him a mouthiece for UT.

Reaction Score
Surprised you wanted to bring this up since you were proven completely wrong the last time you went out of your way to criticize him.

He's tweeting his opinion, which happens to be is super critical of OU. Doesn't make him a mouthiece for UT.

I don't know, I mean that does seem like a pro-UT and anti-OU position to me. He's wondering why Boren is making a stink. It's because Boren realizes his school is being marginalized in this by Texas. Clearly yesterday was NOT a god result for Oklahoma. They clearly WANT expansion. So Carlton is asking why Boren is making a big stink today, when it is pretty clear to everyone what Boren's position is.

In other words, Carlton is being willfully ignorant of OU's interests.

Reaction Score
I don't know, I mean that does seem like a pro-UT and anti-OU position to me. He's wondering why Boren is making a stink. It's because Boren realizes his school is being marginalized in this by Texas. Clearly yesterday was NOT a god result for Oklahoma. They clearly WANT expansion. So Carlton is asking why Boren is making a big stink today, when it is pretty clear to everyone what Boren's position is.

In other words, Carlton is being willfully ignorant of OU's interests.

Just because he doesn't advocate OU's interests doesn't mean he's pro UT.

We support Boren and OU because it's our best chance to get a P5 invite, but step back and take a look at it from someone who is covering the Big 12 as a league, and it's not unreasonable to see their actions as destabilizing the league.

That said, you could argue that UT and the LHN fired the first shots towards destabilization years earlier, but in its current state with members, OU is the one that is rocking the boat.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Maybe not a "mouthpiece", but a big time homer, with a very Texas biased view of what is going on. It doesn't matter that he's in Dallas rather than Austin any more that it matters that UConn isn't in New Haven when a writer there writes about UConn. He's using his position in a pro-Texas, anti-OU manner. It's obvious why.

Reaction Score
Maybe not a "mouthpiece", but a big time homer, with a very Texas biased view of what is going on. It doesn't matter that he's in Dallas rather than Austin any more that it matters that UConn isn't in New Haven when a writer there writes about UConn. He's using his position in a pro-Texas, anti-OU manner. It's obvious why.

Not going to get into it again, you guys can hold that opinion if you feel that way. All I'm going to say is I've read a lot of his stuff through the years and he's a very good reporter who actually broke the news that the Big 12 would get yesterday's vote before anyone else.

I believe he's not a fan of OU for reasons stated above, but do not think that's the case because of homerism or any kind of pro UT bias.

Reaction Score
Our good friend Berry Tramel with some great stuff on how Boren is taking aim at the LHN.

http://newsok.com/david-boren-would-like-to-end-the-longhorn-network/article/5472488

David Boren would like to end The Longhorn Network
by Berry Tramel Published: January 14, 2016

David Boren has his sights set on something bigger than conference expansion or a Big 12 title game. The OU president is focused on what started this whole “psychologically disadvantaged” Big 12 in the first place.

The Longhorn Network.

On Wednesday, day the NCAA voted to allow the Big 12 to stage a football championship game even without divisional play or at least 12 members, Boren released a statement to the OU Daily, the campus newspaper.

“The Big 12 is disadvantaged when compared to the other conferences in three ways. We do not have at least 12 members, we do not have a conference network and we do not have a championship game. I think that all three of these disadvantages need to be addressed at the same time. Addressing only one without addressing all three will not be adequate to improve the strength of the conference.”

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
News flash - when you have a group of schools with conflicting goals, reporters are going to pick up on it.

Reaction Score
Just because he doesn't advocate OU's interests doesn't mean he's pro UT.

We support Boren and OU because it's our best chance to get a P5 invite, but step back and take a look at it from someone who is covering the Big 12 as a league, and it's not unreasonable to see their actions as destabilizing the league.

That said, you could argue that UT and the LHN fired the first shots towards destabilization years earlier, but in its current state with members, OU is the one that is rocking the boat.

No, he's actually questioning why Boren is doing this.

That's the part that seems crazy to me. He knows why Boren is upset, but he's impugning him anyway. That is some skewed reporting.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Completely wrong? If anything, those tweets prove that he was a mouthpiece for Texas, and Texas had a good day. Where did I ever say Texas was pro expansion?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No, he's actually questioning why Boren is doing this.

That's the part that seems crazy to me. He knows why Boren is upset, but he's impugning him anyway. That is some skewed reporting.

Yes that's what I noticed most. If anything, Boren's position is the only sane and logical one. UT's position helps UT and hurts every other school in the conference. So anyone suggesting that Boren is being illogical or destabilizing the Big XII is absolutely taking a very pro UT stance. Maybe he doesn't normally, that's fine, I believe that. On this issue he is.

Reaction Score
Looking back, how did anyone outside of Austin think the LHN would be a good long term play for a conference without a network?? I couldn't imagine a marquee school like OU ever being ok with the financial/exposure disadvantage compared to their rival peer. This would crack the foundation of any conference (i.e. imagine a Buckeye network's impact on Michigan... USC/Oregon, FSU/Clemson, ect.)

From any angle, it seems like the Big XII will eventually burn to the ground and I can't blame OU for bringing the matches.

Reaction Score
Looking back, how did anyone outside of Austin think the LHN would be a good long term play for a conference without a network?? I couldn't imagine a marquee school like OU ever being ok with the financial/exposure disadvantage compared to their rival peer. This would crack the foundation of any conference (i.e. imagine a Buckeye network's impact on Michigan... USC/Oregon, FSU/Clemson, ect.)

From any angle, it seems like the Big XII will eventually burn to the ground and I can't blame OU for bringing the matches.

No one outside of Austin thought it was a good long term play and it's another reason why NU, CU, A & M and Mizzou left.

Reaction Score
Mike Finger ‏@mikefinger · 41m41 minutes ago
Big 12 commish Bob Bowlsby wouldn't bite on question about David Boren's comments: "We'll work through that on a private basis."

Mike Finger ‏@mikefinger · 16m16 minutes ago
Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione on whether LHN is an obstacle for future of Big 12: "There's always a chance for creativity."

Mike FingerVerified account
@mikefinger
Texas Longhorns beat writer for SA Express-News/Houston Chronicle;

Reaction Score
DaveSittler1:37pm via Twitter Web Client
Big 12's apparent current pecking order: Cincy, UConn, Houston, UCF, USF, Memphis, Tulane, BYU. Even though UConn seems closer to Iceland.

DaveSittler1:47pm via Twitter Web Client
Said that was Big 12"s apparent pecking order. Here's mine: BYU, Cincy, Houston, UCF, USF, Memphis, Tulane, UConn.

(Journalist. Covered Big 8/12 for 40-plus years. Past president of Football Writers Association of America.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom