Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 106 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
How is the AAC planning to vote? And could a lot of these rumors simply be designed to move (scare?) G5 votes?

The way I see it, under the current proposal, the non-G5 votes are 6-4...G5 votes can very easily push the CG deregulation over the line, no?

Reaction Score
If the Big 10, SEC, and Pac-12 all vote against it, only 2 G5 conferences will have to vote against it for it to fail. From what others have said (and it makes sense), the MAC will follow its big brother the Big 10, leaving only one more conference, likely the AAC, to vote against it. I get the feeling it will be shot down.
100% agree....

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
There are too many schools in the AAC that will vote against it because they are hoping for an invite to the B12 once it is voted down. UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, USF, UCF...all hoping for a B12 invite.

Reaction Score
If the Big 10, SEC, and Pac-12 all vote against it, only 2 G5 conferences will have to vote against it for it to fail. From what others have said (and it makes sense), the MAC will follow its big brother the Big 10, leaving only one more conference, likely the AAC, to vote against it. I get the feeling it will be shot down.

Remember rule #1 of realignment.

The AAC's vote will be the deciding vote (cast on the AAC's behalf by UConn). The AAC decides to vote FOR the B12's proposal, allowing the B12 to hold a championship game without expanding. UConn will be forced to cast the deciding vote and vote against it's own best interests.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
There are too many schools in the AAC that will vote against it because they are hoping for an invite to the B12 once it is voted down. UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, USF, UCF...all hoping for a B12 invite.

That's kind of my point...the Big12 essentially has AAC members playing Russian roulette right now. If you are USF/UCF, are you really willing to risk pushing out 2 of Houston, Cinci and UConn, backfilling with USM and UMASS and renegotiating the TV deal? There must be some hard math going on right now in several AD offices.

Reaction Score
The P5 conferences should have never threatened the G5 with no more football games. That would be a good incentive to do the bidding of the P of the P5.

Reaction Score
I wonder a bit if the Big 12 sudden public flirtation with us is their way of saying that there will consequences if you vote against our CCG plan. Those consequences being the loss of a desirable piece (Connecticut) and competition on the East coast. An attempt to change the cost/benefit analysis a bit to the favor there proposal makes sense but it may be a too Storrs-centric view.
I certainly hope so , but based on passed actions it seems the the B12 is rudderless. Its very hard to think strategically when your dodging the rocks.
It seems to me the conference with the most to lose ( ACC)would have made a preemptive move by now.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I certainly hope so , but based on passed actions it seems the the B12 is rudderless. Its very hard to think strategically when your dodging the rocks.
It seems to me the conference with the most to lose ( ACC)would have made a preemptive move by now.
The ACC isn't making a preemptive strike because they can't. Adding two schools (the most likely strike) in UConn and Cincy, for example, would increase the number of basketball schools to 17 (an awkward number) and increase the football conference to 16 to 2 eight-team divisions, meaning the conference would have to go 9 football games minimum (which is something they don't want to do). Adding a conference game would result in less ACC teams percentage-wise making a bowl, less home games on average per team, and would all but forever destroy the possibility (although already slim) of ND joining for football (as that would mean the conference would have to expand beyond 16).

Reaction Score
B1G, SEC, and Pac 12 have 80 votes between them...ACC and B-12 only have 48. Add the MAC's 12 votes because they are voting with he B1G and that's 92 votes against right off them top.
Here are the remaining conferences with number of votes:
AAC 12 votes
CUSA 13 votes (UAB is back in 2017 bringing them back to 14)
Mountain West 12 votes
Sunbelt 11 votes (Coastal Carolina will make 12 teams in 2017)
Independent's 3 (ND, BYU, UMass)
That makes 51 votes not committed (that we know of)....only 1 of those conferences has to vote with the BiG, SEC, Pac-12 and MAC to vote this down.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Taking shizzle's response a bit further, the ACC's only possible preemptive strike would be adding Texas in a deal similar to what ND currently has.

If this were to happen, all roadblocks to the B-12 expanding would disappear.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Taking shizzle's response a bit further, the ACC's only possible preemptive strike would be adding Texas in a deal similar to what ND currently has.

If this were to happen, all roadblocks to the B-12 expanding would disappear.
I've often thought that could be Texas and the ACC's next move as it helps both, but Texas likes being king of its own so we'll see.

Reaction Score
This to me falls in key tweet category ..if different mod's can move it:
  1. Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 10m10 minutes ago
    For those hoping for Big 12 expansion ... Next week's NCAA convention just got very interesting.

12 retweets11 likes

2. Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 17m17 minutes ago
    John Swofford on conference title game deregulation: "A year ago I thought that would have passed easily. Now we'll have to see."

7 retweets1 like

3. Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 24m24 minutes ago
    Sankey: The SEC Big 12 prime time Sugar Bowl is important to them. "We will protect that." No talk of moving it so playoff not on NYE.

5 retweets3 likes

4. Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 26m26 minutes ago
    Sankey said there is an "openness" to explore options for Big 12 to host a title game with 10 teams, but they are happy with status quo.

5 retweets1 like

5. Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 27m27 minutes ago
    SEC commissioner Greg Sankey just said he will not support ACC/big 12 title game deregulation as originally proposed. Vote is next week.

slmandel 1:36pm via Twitter for iPhone
Bob Bowlsby: "We do not want to add members or be forced to play two divisions." NCAA proposal vote next week
http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...-sec-greg-sankey-ncaa-rule-change-vote-011016

Reaction Score

pj

Reaction Score
That's kind of my point...the Big12 essentially has AAC members playing Russian roulette right now. If you are USF/UCF, are you really willing to risk pushing out 2 of Houston, Cinci and UConn, backfilling with USM and UMASS and renegotiating the TV deal? There must be some hard math going on right now in several AD offices.

Although the AAC doesn't know which 2 teams the B12 would take, they know that 2 would leave, leaving the remaining 10 in a weaker position and possibly terminating the TV contract. So 10 teams would be harmed and 2 helped. The AAC would side with the unknown 10 who would be harmed over the unknown 2 who would be helped.

Reaction Score
UMass might like to see us gone. Or anyone gone for that matter. And why would ND even need to vote on this? They may just pass.

Reaction Score
B1G, SEC, and Pac 12 have 80 votes between them...ACC and B-12 only have 48. Add the MAC's 12 votes because they are voting with he B1G and that's 92 votes against right off them top.
Here are the remaining conferences with number of votes:
AAC 12 votes
CUSA 13 votes (UAB is back in 2017 bringing them back to 14)
Mountain West 12 votes
Sunbelt 11 votes (Coastal Carolina will make 12 teams in 2017)
Independent's 3 (ND, BYU, UMass)
That makes 51 votes not committed (that we know of)....only 1 of those conferences has to vote with the BiG, SEC, Pac-12 and MAC to vote this down.

I thought the votes went BY CONFERENCE, with the P5 conferences (not schools) getting 2 votes each and the other conferences getting one vote each. Why are you counting votes by schools?

Reaction Score
I understood that's how it was tallied because some conferences have more schools that others.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I wonder a bit if the Big 12 sudden public flirtation with us is their way of saying that there will consequences if you vote against our CCG plan. Those consequences being the loss of a desirable piece (Connecticut) and competition on the East coast. An attempt to change the cost/benefit analysis a bit to the favor there proposal makes sense but it may be a too Storrs-centric view.
What public flirtation?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
slmandel 1:36pm via Twitter for iPhone
Bob Bowlsby: "We do not want to add members or be forced to play two divisions." NCAA proposal vote next week
http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...-sec-greg-sankey-ncaa-rule-change-vote-011016

Reached by phone Sunday morning, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said: “We continue to support full deregulation and believe conferences should have full prerogative on how they conduct competition. Having stated our first preference, I believe we can find a compromise that will work.”

Asked if that compromise could include two divisions, Bowlsby said: “We do not want to add members or be forced to play two divisions. Any compromise would have to consider those two provisions.”

Reaction Score
Reached by phone Sunday morning, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said: “We continue to support full deregulation and believe conferences should have full prerogative on how they conduct competition. Having stated our first preference, I believe we can find a compromise that will work.”

Asked if that compromise could include two divisions, Bowlsby said: “We do not want to add members or be forced to play two divisions. Any compromise would have to consider those two provisions.”
That looks like a man who is making a ingenious PR move...he can then go back to his conference if motion is voted down and say..I tried everything possible to get it to pass...now we need to move forward. If for some reason he gets a compromise he has succeeded in what they wanted to do.

Reaction Score
Jon Solomon ‏@JonSolomonCBS 3h3 hours ago
Will NCAA vote this week force Big 12 to expand for conference championship game? http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ce-big-12-to-expand-for-conference-title-game

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said Sunday his conference will vote against proposals that would change the format of football championship games, but he did indicate a willingness to find a different way for the Big 12 to stage a championship game if it wants one.

“Is there a way to allow a 10-team conference to play full round robin and play a championship game?” Sankey asked. “I think that's worthy of a conversation, but it hasn't been introduced for formal consideration at this point.”

“There is a standard that’s been set, and there are four conferences among the five that meet that standard,” he said. “But there’s an openness to see if there’s an approach that works for the Big 12 in its current circumstance.”

Bowlsby said the Big 12 could go to two, five-team divisions as the Big Ten proposal would require. But the Big 12 wants to avoid that because its two best teams could be on one side of the division.

“What would have been the best matchup was already played within divisional play,” Bowlsby said of such a scenario. “I'm not convinced that a full round robin isn't the most viable and most reliable way to determine your champion.

Reaction Score
Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS · 4h4 hours ago
If the SEC and Big Ten ever demand the Big 12 expand to 12 teams, it will happen. Book it. Oh, I think that definitely happens.

This is the real dilemma. League doesn't want to go west. So... UConn? UCF? Houston? Cincy?

JazzCougs
‏@JazzCougs @BDavisAAS @URClassless @bigjondaniel BYU is the obvious answer. Bigger and brings more than any other candidate by a fair margin

Bronco just left because BYU isn't joining the Power 5 anytime soon.

Brian DavisVerified account
@BDavisAAS
Covers the Texas Longhorns for the Austin American-Statesman. That includes football, basketball and other stuff.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What public flirtation?
Typical Big 12 media people suddenly speaking favorably aobut UConn, KState univ pres tweet about talking with Herbst, etc.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom