Kevin Ollie is still screwed | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie is still screwed

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Right. It doesn't seem so. I read his bio though and he has a strong history of getting his clients millions from universities, including from Yale and Trinity.
Yep, I did as well. I'm not sure why this thing has gone so badly that he is reduced to to putting out statements that say that the NCAA's 3 year show cause penalty against his client is part of a conspiracy between the NCAA and the university. That's just not credible. It's the kind of thing that you read and think "he's flailing."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I blame that Luke Cage show. I'm convinced that scene where the guy was bragging about Kevin Ollie visiting the barbershop turned him.

Reaction Score
Damn. He should have taken his own advice, kept his head up, and counted his blessings. I recently rewatched his introductory presser the other day. It’s astounding to me how inspirational that KO was and now how tone deaf this KO is. It really is like two entirely different people.
Yeah he really inspired Enoch, Jackson, Juwan Durham and that 5th ranked class he had a few years back. Did any of them graduate from UConn?

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
So, if the lawyer didn't make the effort to submit any new or meaningful information, how does he justify his billings?
1. Call the decision "biased".
2. Claim the NCAA has repeatedly shown its #1 priority is to protect UConn.
3. Prepare statement (for future release) about the bias that was shown by the arbitrator after that decision is rendered.

The NCAA said the appeals committee upheld Ollie's punishment "because he included few or no arguments regarding overturning this penalty and failed to demonstrate that the Committee on Infractions abused its discretion by prescribing the penalty."

Ollie's attorney, Jacques Parenteau, issued a statement to ESPN after the ruling.

"While we are not surprised that the NCCA Infractions Appeals Committee would simply rubber stamp the original, biased decision, it is disgraceful this committee refused to consider the ample evidence produced by counsel for Kevin Ollie showing that witnesses had lied," he said.

"Throughout this process the NCAA has repeatedly demonstrated that its number one priority is to protect UConn, its member, and will eagerly do so at the expense of Kevin Ollie's rights

If your case is "the witnesses lied," the committee has to decide who to believe -- sworn witnesses with first-hand knowledge, or the defendant's attorney. How can a judge or jury side against the witnesses?

Reaction Score
I live in Glastonbury where he lives (or lived, I'm not sure if he's still here). I didn't know him...he surely didn't know my name...but in maybe five or six interactions with/around him, he seemed like such a class act. Example one...his son worked at a supermarket and more than once, I'd see the kid out sweeping the parking lot. I don't know the backstory, but obviously in one form or another there was a work ethic and a respect for the dollar passed along because the kid didn't need to be out there making $10/hour or whatever.

Example two, another kid of his had an injured ankle/foot and missed the rest of the soccer season. Ollie STILL showed up for at least some of those games and cheered the team on as if his kid was on the field.

Went out of his way at least twice to walk by and tap my then 7 or 8 yo son on the head as he walked by...giving my son a thrill.

Just a shame...don't understand his approach to this.
He still is a great guy and class act but at the same time this is a nasty legal battle. If the teams he coached performed at a high level then none of this ever really happens. I am also sure there is much more to it...

He still lives in Glastonbury over by Monaco ford in those new apartments. Big LuluLemon shopper as well.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
He still is a great guy and class act but at the same time this is a nasty legal battle. If the teams he coached performed at a high level then none of this ever really happens. I am also sure there is much more to it...

He still lives in Glastonbury over by Monaco ford in those new apartments. Big LuluLemon shopper as well.
My buddy used to live there. I used to live the Soap Factory apartments down past that CVS right there. Big divorced dad population in both.

C

Chief00

I live in Glastonbury where he lives (or lived, I'm not sure if he's still here). I didn't know him...he surely didn't know my name...but in maybe five or six interactions with/around him, he seemed like such a class act. Example one...his son worked at a supermarket and more than once, I'd see the kid out sweeping the parking lot. I don't know the backstory, but obviously in one form or another there was a work ethic and a respect for the dollar passed along because the kid didn't need to be out there making $10/hour or whatever.

Example two, another kid of his had an injured ankle/foot and missed the rest of the soccer season. Ollie STILL showed up for at least some of those games and cheered the team on as if his kid was on the field.

Went out of his way at least twice to walk by and tap my then 7 or 8 yo son on the head as he walked by...giving my son a thrill.

Just a shame...don't understand his approach to this.

I could do my list as well from 6-25 years ago. His success in 2014 changed all aspects of his life and ironically created a downward spiral. The worse part from those who are still close to him is, he’s in total denial about what’s happened.

Reaction Score
Question for the litigators here....IF this is a contingent fee case, can the attorney for KO withdraw without some basis for doing so if KO wants them to continue?
Saying my client won’t take what I thought was a reasonable settlement 2 years ago doesn’t seem like just cause.

Maybe he doesn’t have the $$ to switch to an hourly billing model? And no other high profile firm wants this clunker on a contingent fee basis.

Are they stuck with KO as a client until there is some verdict?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Bazz' team beat the overall #1 seed as well as the consensus pick to win the thing. What else could you want?
If you're asking @freescooter, he could want for nobody to look too closely at which #1 seed had the 2-loss season (Florida), or take note that Florida won a conference so solid that Kentucky was an 8 seed because its very young team took a while to catch up with the talent level of its best-in-class recruits.

Yes, the Sweet 16 & Elite 8 games were at MSG, but beating Big East champ Villanova, also in its home region, was no slouch competition.

Reaction Score
Yeah he really inspired Enoch, Jackson, and that 5th ranked class he had a few years back. Did any of them graduate from UConn?
Jackson is at his third school. It’s not always just the coach. You can hate on KO all you want and his recent actions makes that pretty easy to do. Objectively speaking, it wasn’t all bad. Especially in the beginning. That’s all I am saying. If you don’t see that, I don’t know what else to tell you:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can see KO really believing this is all propaganda. He knows what goes on in CBB and he knows his indiscretions were fairly minor. I’d have trouble taking $10,000,000 in blame too.

As far as money goes, his NBA pension should be 400k or more I’d think. His divorce might have eaten up a lot of money but he’ll never be anywhere near poor.

I just don’t worry about the KO issue. It’s business. I’d feel bad if he was broke, but he isn’t.

Reaction Score
I could do my list as well from 6-25 years ago. His success in 2014 changed all aspects of his life and ironically created a downward spiral. The worse part from those who are still close to him is, he’s in total denial about what’s happened.

So the first time I really scratched my head? I sit not too far up behind the UConn bench at the XL Center...I don't remember what year it was exactly but it was post his divorce. Anyway, Taylor Rooks...that absolute smoke show of a woman...was the sideline reporter or whatever and DURING the game, Ollie yelled stuff over to her maybe five or six times and she smiled and laughed.

I have no idea what he said...I wasn't that close...and at first I kind of shrugged it off, but by the end of the game I was really thrown for a loop. Not that Kevin Ollie noticed her...hell, my WIFE noticed her before I did and pointed her out to me...but while coaching a college basketball game that you get paid millions for he's chatting her up?

At that time, I gave him the benefit of the doubt to some degree but if nothing else the optics were horrible.

Reaction Score

He lives in the Tannery? Seriously? Those aren't bad places, but not exactly where somebody with multi millions of dollars stashed would live. It's more like a first apartment out of college or a divorced dude making $150k a year would live.

C

Chief00

I can see KO really believing this is all propaganda. He knows what goes on in CBB and he knows his indiscretions were fairly minor. I’d have trouble taking $10,000,000 in blame too.

As far as money goes, his NBA pension should be 400k or more I’d think. His divorce might have eaten up a lot of money but he’ll never be anywhere near poor.

I just don’t worry about the KO issue. It’s business. I’d feel bad if he was broke, but he isn’t.

Lying to your employer and your industry regulators is never minor.

Reaction Score
Jackson is at his third school. It’s not always just the coach. You can hate on KO all you want and his recent actions makes that pretty easy to do. Objectively speaking, it wasn’t all bad. Especially in the beginning. That’s all I am saying. If you don’t see that, I don’t know what else to tell you:
Are you kidding? It was transfer city and 30 point blowouts. His assistant coach hated him, the split with Calhoun. Why? That's all I am saying. If you don't see that, or remember that, I don't know what else to tell you.:rolleyes:

Except that the only inspiration he gave was to his caddy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Alterique Gilbert and Christian Vital.
I was not aware Al was graduating from UConn with a bachelor's. I thought only Vital will. As for Jackson, Durham, and Diarra, KO's inspiration was getting his next birdie.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I was not aware Al was graduating from UConn with a bachelor's. I thought only Vital will. As for Jackson, Durham, and Diarra, KO's inspiration was getting his next birdie.
Are you familiar with what graduate transfer means?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So true. So Sad. He never was quite UConn royalty (somewhat close - if the future worked out) but now he's at Deng's level or below.

Last recourse is, "Better Call Saul."

But wait Mike's dead, at least the AD is happy bout that.

Saul would have ended this in a few days. “Kevin you idiot, you broke the contract and can still walk away with a couple of million. Take the deal and forget your pride. Go to the NBA and start earning again.”

Saul knows when you cash out. Kevin is either a terrible client ignoring advice or has terrible lawyers giving him bad advice. One of those two things is true.

Reaction Score
Are you familiar with what graduate transfer means?
Yes I am wise ass, as I said I was not aware he was graduating. I only heard he was transferring to WState, I also sort of framed it as a question, but thanks for your answer in typical backhanded fashion.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom