Kevin Ollie is still screwed | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie is still screwed

Reaction Score
Or we can assume the rational, which is that his lawyers wouldn't be doing this if they thought their expected return didn't justify the amount of time they are putting into it. I mean, that's not metaphysically true but you'll make more money than you'll lose betting on lawyers knowing what is in their own financial interest.
I was going to like this but really it is just true.

Reaction Score
I don’t know about the NBA. I would guess some old pal would bring him on as a 3rd assistant at some point but I also wonder if Ollie doesn’t consider that beneath him. And hey if Pitino gets rehired with his off court resume and some of the other guys like the old St Johns coach can get jobs albeit at low level schools. I see no reason Ollie can’t land one at Florida A&M or somwwhere in a few years.
I'll probably be skewered for writing this, but Pitino, will all of his baggage, is one of the best basketball coaches of all time. Nobody ever questioned his work ethic or desire. That is why somebody will hire him.

For everyone's sake, the dispute between Ollie and UConn should have been settled a long time ago. I thought a $4 million settlement would be fair, but Ollie has burned every bridge and I now think he should not any kind of financial settlement. He should move on with his life and hopefully land an NBA assistant gig if he wants it.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
How many major money lawsuits take place in the NBA for their assistant coaches making 300k? I don't think it's a good look, but I also don't think he's not getting hired by an NBA team b/c of this.

Particularly when you consider he's an alum of the school, it was a bigger money deal, it's a big aspect of his life, him getting fired from a school he had love for...it's just not nearly the same and I am pretty sure NBA organizations/GMs would know that. An assistant NBA coach isn't suing the team when he gets fired, like this anyway.

C

Chief00

That is true, they will be fired.

and then get the remainder of their contract.

You want to list for me the number of NBA coaches fired over the years for "cause" ?

Ill wait.
I don’t have a database of fired NBA coaches and since they are private employment contracts unlike state university contracts subject to the State FOI act - you don’t have the same public visibility. We don’t necessarily know how many of these situations end - so your question is unanswerable. Unlike you, I assume, I have hired many and terminated a few employees - most organizations do what they can to minimize litigation risks. KO fits in that risk category now.

C

Chief00

How many major money lawsuits take place in the NBA for their assistant coaches making 300k? I don't think it's a good look, but I also don't think he's not getting hired by an NBA team b/c of this.

Particularly when you consider he's an alum of the school, it was a bigger money deal, it's a big aspect of his life, him getting fired from a school he had love for...it's just not nearly the same and I am pretty sure NBA organizations/GMs would know that. An assistant NBA coach isn't suing the team when he gets fired, like this anyway.
You realize nothing has stopped him from getting hired the last two years by an NBA team. Theoretical questions may be interesting but ultimately real life gives you the answer.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
KO has enough NBA contacts to get a job. IF, he moves on and refocuses on the game. He has a lot to offer on any staff if he gets his love for the game back. Just my opinion.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

You want to list for me the number of NBA coaches fired over the years for "cause" ?

Ill wait.

Or, as I was trying to articulate, the number of bench assistants suing their organizations?

This is apples and oranges.

Reaction Score
Will Wade, Sean Miller, Bruce Pearl, Bill Self, Calipari...

but let’s play hardball with Kevin Ollie for more minor infractions

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
You realize nothing has stopped him from getting hired the last two years by an NBA team. Theoretical questions may be interesting but ultimately real life gives you the answer.

And we're all positive he's been knocking down every GM's door only to be told "you're too litigious to be in this industry!"?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Ill wait.
Probably the same number who violate NCAA rules and regulations repeatedly. Oh, wait…

Reaction Score
Will Wade, Sean Miller, Bruce Pearl, Bill Self, Calipari...

but let’s play hardball with Kevin Ollie for more minor infractions
Are you criticizing UConn or the NCAA?

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Or we can assume the rational, which is that his lawyers wouldn't be doing this if they thought their expected return didn't justify the amount of time they are putting into it. I mean, that's not metaphysically true but you'll make more money than you'll lose betting on lawyers knowing what is in their own financial interest.
Biz., tell me how his lawyer backs out of this gracefully at this point? Representing high profile client is different than representing an average litigant. Any mistakes made are far more visible in walking away from this thing before it goes to arbitration would be a significant PR challenge. Nope, he’s stuck in his to take this at least through arbitration.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Probably the same number who violate NCAA rules and regulations repeatedly. Oh, wait…
I didn’t make the nba comparison I just answered it. Because it’s ludicrous. No matter what despearation Ollie is smelling to compare it to an nba firing is ludicrous.

C

Chief00

Good research and you found what should be the obvious - the NBA is not unlike any other business. Age, gender, race, harassment and other lawsuits happen. If someone doesn’t think a very public history of a two year dispute isn’t viewed as a red flag by certain employers - I don’t think you are living in the real world. The other thing the hiring employer would find is that the former employer and NCAA determined KO wasn’t truthful. KO should have taken $2M and started a new life.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Good research and you found what should be the obvious - the NBA is not unlike any other business. Age, gender, race, harassment and other lawsuits happen. If someone doesn’t think a very public history of a two year dispute isn’t viewed as a red flag by certain employers - I don’t think you are living in the real world. The other thing the hiring employer would find is that the former employer and NCAA determined KO wasn’t truthful. KO should have taken $2M and started a new life.

yes excellent research. He got the full terms of his contract! The option wasn’t picked up! She did too!

Reaction Score
OK ..KO..Things don't look good..Is Chief bluffing you or are you all in??

Reaction Score
Biz., tell me how his lawyer backs out of this gracefully at this point? Representing high profile client is different than representing an average litigant. Any mistakes made are far more visible in walking away from this thing before it goes to arbitration would be a significant PR challenge. Nope, he’s stuck in his to take this at least through arbitration.

They most likely have a deal as to what stages they can walk away. If your point is that "they might have thought it in their economic interest going in but it no longer is," well, of course. People invest in things and as it plays out you wish you haven't. But the belief (not saying yours) that they were stupid to take this one -- well, it may very well turn out that they wish they hadn't taken it, but if you get 3 to 1 odds on a roulette wheel coming up with an even number, that doesn't become a bad decision just because you lose the bet.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You know, most of you as usual are totally right. I thought maybe he'd never be able to work again, but people do love a comeback story, and once this is all done and over with, I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a NBA assistant somewhere. After all, this story won't be in the headlines for very long. Something new always comes along to take its' place.

BUT... do you guys think he was a bad recruiter, or bad coach, or both? I mean he started off gangbusters winning the NC with JC's players in his 2nd season. But then it all fell apart. What I mean is, where did he go wrong? I still think you have to have a good hoops mind to be a NBA assistant, but if he was no good at that, what does he have to offer? I'm asking legitimately, not rhetorically.

C

Chief00

The lawyer’s website cites various settlements/cases won. With KO he has totally miscalculated, if he thought this was a layup. However, it’s all or nothing, if taken to the finish line - so I suppose if you have a 20% shot at $10 million - you roll the dice. But, KO has an 80% chance (let’s say) due to how this was mishandled in my opinion of never having a decent career again.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He should have moved on a two years ago. He then could have gotten his life where it needed to be and not in court and losing.
At one time I thought UConn would have settled for a few million, but now I am not so sure since Ollie and his team have pushed this as far as they can. If he gets a million he will be lucky now.

Reaction Score
Totally agree with @LStudfellow. It is incredibly sad. Scorched earth is right. He is also correct - never say never, but the chances of Ollie ever landing any type of job related to basketball is slim to none at this time.

I think Ollie probably knew that going in, or if he didn't he should have, but I think he felt that it was worth the risk... He probably thought if he could get several millions of $ out of the university (more than if he settled), it would have held him over financially till this became a distant memory and he was able to get a new job.

Instead, he's burnt every bridge related to UCONN, destroyed any goodwill from the fans, and created a scenario where his future prospects look bleak. Even worse now, the NCAA has rejected every argument he made which makes him look even worse, if that's possible.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him flipping burgers at McDonalds or something in the near future, unless he has enough savings to live off. And with all his legal fees, I doubt he has much savings left. I want to say I feel badly for the guy, but this is a mess of his own making.
So sad

Reaction Score
You know, most of you as usual are totally right. I thought maybe he'd never be able to work again, but people do love a comeback story, and once this is all done and over with, I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a NBA assistant somewhere. After all, this story won't be in the headlines for very long. Something new always comes along to take its' place.

BUT... do you guys think he was a bad recruiter, or bad coach, or both? I mean he started off gangbusters winning the NC with JC's players in his 2nd season. But then it all fell apart. What I mean is, where did he go wrong? I still think you have to have a good hoops mind to be a NBA assistant, but if he was no good at that, what does he have to offer? I'm asking legitimately, not rhetorically.
In my opinion..KO had a nice roster in 2014 that became a very efficient team throughout the Tournament.. I believe KO benefitted substantially from his bench coaches.. Bazz/Boat were coaches on the floor..KO stayed out of their way.. They executed magnificently to win the Title.. KO and Penny H seem to have a similar coaching strategy (NBA style)..Stay out of the players way and let them make plays.. In an X's and O's game.. College BB .. It doesn't always work..And BTW..Love KO's contributions to the University over the years

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Ollie is a multi-millionaire. He'll be fine. Otherwise, I agree.
Yeah he did play in the NBA for 18 or so years. Lol Unless he has the worst financial advisor in history, he'll be fine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom