Kevin Ollie is still screwed | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie is still screwed

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They most likely have a deal as to what stages they can walk away. If your point is that "they might have thought it in their economic interest going in but it no longer is," well, of course. People invest in things and as it plays out you wish you haven't. But the belief (not saying yours) that they were stupid to take this one -- well, it may very well turn out that they wish they hadn't taken it, but if you get 3 to 1 odds on a roulette wheel coming up with an even number, that doesn't become a bad decision just because you lose the bet.
I don’t think it was a stupid case to take at all. The potential damages were good in the idea that the Defendant might settle to avoid negative PR was it without basis. I do think Kevin‘s representation made multiple errors that move the case to a place where negotiated settlement was unlikely. But, in this particular instance, the fact that they are still representing Kevin doesn’t necessarily mean that they believe there is a lot of value in the case.

It may simply mean that they’ve decided it isn’t in their best interest to leave before arbitration is concluded in this high profile case. After making so many public statements, I suspect it would be an uncomfortable position for them to take.

Reaction Score
One of the saddest chapters to watch evolve during my 35 years as a UConn fan. Only the Tate George saga has made me close to this sad. And its not even over. I just wish someone could step in and tell him to cut bait, move on, and start to rehabilitate his image. At some point, it will matter...

So true. So Sad. He never was quite UConn royalty (somewhat close - if the future worked out) but now he's at Deng's level or below.

Last recourse is, "Better Call Saul."

But wait Mike's dead, at least the AD is happy bout that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'll probably be skewered for writing this, but Pitino, will all of his baggage, is one of the best basketball coaches of all time. Nobody ever questioned his work ethic or desire. That is why somebody will hire him.

For everyone's sake, the dispute between Ollie and UConn should have been settled a long time ago. I thought a $4 million settlement would be fair, but Ollie has burned every bridge and I now think he should not any kind of financial settlement. He should move on with his life and hopefully land an NBA assistant gig if he wants it.

You shouldn’t get skewered at all. Pitino is an awful person but a fantastic coach. Possibly the best X’s and O’s Coach of all time. He has a job because his passion for the game is crazy, he’s relentless, and players want to play for him. Doesn’t change the fact that he’s a terrible guy but great great coach.

C

Chief00

Is losing the NCAA appeal, despite the meaningless rhetoric in the attorney’s statement today - a moment for Team KO to huddle up, take stock and ask how do we extricate ourselves from this house of cards? They must have thought this appeal was important - because with the ruling - UConn couldn’t have employed KO as coach if they wanted to. As I said, based on information, schools hand out punishments all the time prior to the NCAA final rulings - in fact they are encourage to preemptively sanction themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Is losing the NCAA appeal, despite the meaningless rhetoric nonsense in the attorney’s statement today - a moment to huddle up, take stock and ask how do we extricate ourselves from this house of cards? They must have thought this appeal was important - because with the ruling standing - UConn couldn’t have employed KO as coach if they wanted to? As I said, based on information, schools hand out punishments all the time prior to the NCAA final rulings - in fact they are encourage to preemptively sanction the selves.
Think it was a "Hail Mary" strategy.. Reasonable people would move on..Wouldn't they??

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Or we can assume the rational, which is that his lawyers wouldn't be doing this if they thought their expected return didn't justify the amount of time they are putting into it. I mean, that's not metaphysically true but you'll make more money than you'll lose betting on lawyers knowing what is in their own financial interest.
True, but in every case that doesn't settle, there's a winning and losing attorney...

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Usually both attorneys are getting paid..If you know what I'm saying.. Kind of like synchronized swimming

I thought someone said they took this on contingency; if that's not the case, then there's no mystery here.

Reaction Score
In my opinion..KO had a nice roster in 2014 that became a very efficient team throughout the Tournament.. I believe KO benefitted substantially from his bench coaches.. Bazz/Boat were coaches on the floor..KO stayed out of their way.. They executed magnificently to win the Title.. KO and Penny H seem to have a similar coaching strategy (NBA style)..Stay out of the players way and let them make plays.. In an X's and O's game.. College BB .. It doesn't always work..And BTW..Love KO's contributions to the University over the years
They also got a couple of breaks. St Joes had the game won and mad3 a dumb foul and a 50% free throw shooter makes the foul shot. Then the Regionals are basically home games for UConn Plus it was the worst final four ever in terms of seeds. It was the perfect storm in a good way for us in that sense. It was a year where there were lots of upsets Jan early rounds and no dominant teams.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it was a stupid case to take at all. The potential damages were good in the idea that the Defendant might settle to avoid negative PR was it without basis. I do think Kevin‘s representation made multiple errors that move the case to a place where negotiated settlement was unlikely. But, in this particular instance, the fact that they are still representing Kevin doesn’t necessarily mean that they believe there is a lot of value in the case.

It may simply mean that they’ve decided it isn’t in their best interest to leave before arbitration is concluded in this high profile case. After making so many public statements, I suspect it would be an uncomfortable position for them to take.
Totally mishandled the case from day 1 in my view. The best play Ollie had was driving public opinion into his corner by being reasonable and putting out settlement overtures publicly. The more UConn dug in the more he would have looked like the victim. His lawyers are classic litigation clowns that didn’t understand their opponent’s vulnerability. This is a state entity which means it’s a political animal. Bad press hurts more than losing dollars, because it’s not their money. He could have cashed out with $3 to $5 Million with a structured settlement by killing them with kindness in public, crying to the media about how much he loves the university and how he just wants a fair outcome. The minute they went to discrimination to raise the monetary exposure as a pressure tactic, they screwed themselves because they didn’t understand their opponent. Classic terrible one dimensional litigators in my view...if they do win on breach it will be by virtue of an incompetent arbitrator, but at the cost of his reputation.

Reaction Score
They also got a couple of breaks. St Joes had the game won and mad3 a dumb foul and a 50% free throw shooter makes the foul shot. Then the Regionals are basically home games for UConn Plus it was the worst final four ever in terms of seeds. It was the perfect storm in a good way for us in that sense. It was a year where there were lots of upsets Jan early rounds and no dominant teams.
Just want to make sure of one thing based on your comments..We're still happy the Huskies won.. Right?? LOL

Reaction Score
Just want to make sure of one thing based on your comments..We're still happy the Huskies won.. Right?? LOL
We are. It was a terrific run but we and Kentucky were the highest eyed finals ever iirc. As I recall we were a 7 and Kentucky an 8 or 9. And we got Florida in the semis, a team we just matched up perfectly with And had already beaten. The 1 seeds that year were had 2, 4 and 6 losses. The 4th #1 was a mid major. So hardly a dominant field.

Reaction Score
There was a time we thought that we would lose KO to the Lakers. How times have changed.

Reaction Score
We are. It was a terrific run but we and Kentucky were the highest eyed finals ever iirc. As I recall we were a 7 and Kentucky an 8 or 9. And we got Florida in the semis, a team we just matched up perfectly with And had already beaten. The 1 seeds that year were had 2, 4 and 6 losses. The 4th #1 was a mid major. So hardly a dominant field.
But.. Like the Duke FF game.. No one gave us a chance.. Was sweet to close the deal..

Reaction Score
18417DB7-5D5C-42B3-B546-F3A3EFD719E3.jpeg

Reaction Score
The "scorched earth" policy KO has followed (at least partly due to the advice of his lawyers, but ultimately of his own doing) has done so much more damage to him than if he had just settled.

Yes, having to put your ego aside to make a deal you believe is unfair sucks. But now you see that the alternative can be so much worse. If he had just left and taken whatever deal was on the table, he would have been able to walk into an assistant's job in the NBA and been looking at a Head Coaching job in the not-too-distant future. Now? Maybe still possible (I've learned to almost never say never), but the chances are much less than before. Much less.

One of the saddest chapters to watch evolve during my 35 years as a UConn fan. Only the Tate George saga has made me close to this sad. And its not even over. I just wish someone could step in and tell him to cut bait, move on, and start to rehabilitate his image. At some point, it will matter...

I live in Glastonbury where he lives (or lived, I'm not sure if he's still here). I didn't know him...he surely didn't know my name...but in maybe five or six interactions with/around him, he seemed like such a class act. Example one...his son worked at a supermarket and more than once, I'd see the kid out sweeping the parking lot. I don't know the backstory, but obviously in one form or another there was a work ethic and a respect for the dollar passed along because the kid didn't need to be out there making $10/hour or whatever.

Example two, another kid of his had an injured ankle/foot and missed the rest of the soccer season. Ollie STILL showed up for at least some of those games and cheered the team on as if his kid was on the field.

Went out of his way at least twice to walk by and tap my then 7 or 8 yo son on the head as he walked by...giving my son a thrill.

Just a shame...don't understand his approach to this.

Reaction Score

Well let’s crap on Kembas run then too. People are so screwed up it’s hilarious. Hardly a run by any winner where luck doesn’t play a part ask Tyus Edney.

Reaction Score
Dumb, dumb, dumb. UConn gave Florida 2 of their 3 losses that season, they went undefeated in the SEC and were the #1 overall seed for the tournament. Ollie went through Martelli, Jay Wright, Hoiberg, Izzo, Donovan, and Calipari in that tournament.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom