Kenpom Climb Watch | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Kenpom Climb Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
its December and conference play hasnt started so how does this make sense.

The American isn’t respected so it’s members are discriminated against. Until we are back in the Big East we will be considered low class. If we were in the ACC and had the exact same schedule and record we have now we’d surely be getting quite a few votes.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
The American isn’t respected so it’s members are discriminated against. Until we are back in the Big East we will be considered low class. If we were in the ACC and had the exact same schedule and record we have now we’d surely be getting quite a few votes.
Yet we havent started American play. Theres no bias yet because we havent played any teams in the "weaker conference". I get what youre saying once were in AAC play there would be bias because theyd consider us all weaker teams, but were in non conference play, our affiliation means nothing.

Reaction Score
Middle of the pack last year on 2P%, one of the worst in the country the last year under Ollie, one of the worst in the country second to last year under Ollie, middle of the pack the last year they made the tourney.

So to recap starting in 2015-16: Fine, Bad, Bad, Fine, Bad. The last time UConn was top 100 in this category was 2012-2013 (the ban year) so they did win a National Championship #196 in this stat.

With regards to finishing at the rim, anyone that played significant minutes last year was bad at the rim. Carlton was efficient his freshman year at the rim, and was semi efficient last year but not amazing especially when you consider how often he has the height advantage. He has dropped 10 percentage points at the rim this year and that's after playing a couple cupcakes and some high majors that are undersized.

On a similar but different note, we're also drawing more fouls this year. Drawing the most fouls we've drawn since 2010.

Reaction Score
On a similar but different note, we're also drawing more fouls this year. Drawing the most fouls we've drawn since 2010.

Good teams get to the line more. This is great to hear.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, our team is passive . Hurley continues to let us know that when he says we need one or two more dogs that bring the intensity and anger to the court. I love this team but JC, Tyler Phommachanh, IW, and even AG at times just straight up don’t play with emotion, anger or the belief that they will dominate. It clearly reflects how we attack the rim and grab (try to) rebounds.

We look scared when we attack the rim. (not counting you B.Adams!)

Reaction Score
Yet we havent started American play. Theres no bias yet because we havent played any teams in the "weaker conference". I get what youre saying once were in AAC play there would be bias because theyd consider us all weaker teams, but were in non conference play, our affiliation means nothing.

You don’t seem to appreciate the degree of irrelevance the American has provided us. We don’t exist right now.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Yet we havent started American play. Theres no bias yet

There has been a bias for 6.5 seasons now. You think they just took a break from it for the holiday season this year?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
For those who do not have KenPom, this site has some interesting analytics:

T-Page for Connecticut - Customizable College Basketball Tempo Free Stats - T-Rank

• Has UConn at 36% of making the tourney currently
  • Notes Bouknight, Adams, Polley, Vital, and Carlton have been the best 5 players to date
  • The team is elite at shot blocking, but also gets blocked on their own shots just as much which is no surprise since...
  • The team is being held back by an awful 2P%; the only players that rate positive in terms of finishing at the rim are Brendan Adams and James Bouknight
  • All of the guards are shooting exceptionally well from the charity stripe, Alterique being the lowest at 75% which is very good.
  • Notes that Alterique and Christian have very positive ratings with assists
  • The defense seems to be carrying the team at the moment as there are few deficiencies on that side of the ball currently
  • Currently projects UConn at 20-11 (11-7), which seems in line with everyone's preseason expectations

That's pretty dead on. Our dribble drive game sucks. CV and AG the prime offenders early on. Many blocks/misses but the both pass the ball, don't turn it over and get steals. Both Xaiver and Florida performances were defensively influenced.

JC and Akok are above average rim protectors. The 37% assumes not being near the top of the AAC and or lack of quality opponents.

Reaction Score
For every spot we potentially climb, there’s always st joe’s to bring us right back down

Reaction Score
The past is gone. the St. Joe's loss will weigh us down less as the season moves on.

Indiana would have a positive effect. They are 7-0 and in the top 40.

Reaction Score
Beat Indiana and we start getting Top 25 buzz.

Very winnable game, especially at MSG.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Vital is 3rd in the country at the line and in the upper tier of attempts. He’s also 4/5 in steals per game. Aside from some questionable shot selection he’s off to an elite start

"Elite"? He has played within himself the last several games, which is a welcome change. That means he scores less and has less of an overall impact on the team (positive and negative). He's closer to the role a senior guard with limited talent should have. I've said it for a couple of years, if CV fills the stat sheet, we lose. He's been good, not close to elite.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
"Elite"? He has played within himself the last several games, which is a welcome change. That means he scores less and has less of an overall impact on the team (positive and negative). He's closer to the role a senior guard with limited talent should have. I've said it for a couple of years, if CV fills the stat sheet, we lose. He's been good, not close to elite.

We would lose because CV didn’t have anywhere near as much talent around him, not because of his own selfishness or whatever the armchair shrinks of the BY tell themselves.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For every spot we potentially climb, there’s always st joe’s to bring us right back down
Honestly, that game is looking more and more like a blessing is disguise. What if we came back and pulled it out as is? AG and CV would still be chucking up bricks left and right thinking that's leadership. Now Hurley can say with authority to those guys, when you shoot too much we lose. I think that game made it easier for other's to get the ball. They reverted to form in the Xavier game and we lost again. I think they got the message going forward.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We would lose because CV didn’t have anywhere near as much talent around him, not because of his own selfishness or whatever the armchair shrinks of the BY tell themselves.

It's two sides of the same coin. He isn't good enough to be our best player. So if he's out there as a volume shooter playing 30 minutes, it means we aren't a very good team. I don't know how anybody who watched him freshman and sophomore year can think he was making good decisions, regardless of the talent around him. He's much more suited to a support role rather than a leading one. I think he has come to accept and embrace that.

I don't blame him. Freshman year he was put in a position where he and Jalen were sometimes the only scholarship guards in the lineup. So he couldn't be subbed out no matter what he did. It continued sophomore year where we only went three deep. So he jacked up shots like crazy and gambled way too much on defense.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Both wrong.

Last year's bad play and bad conference will weigh this team down in metrics, until some point in late December/ Early January, if history holds.

Reaction Score
The past is gone. the St. Joe's loss will weigh us down less as the season moves on.

Big game for the tonight against FSU, who beat Florida. I guess we root for Indiana to remain undefeated and possibly cracking the top 25 for a match up against the good guys

Reaction Score
Simple, the St Joes loss is dragging us down. If we want to be ranked, we need to not lose to the Iona and beat Indiana. I would be very surprised if we are not ranked if we are 7-2 on 12/16.

We’ll get votes if we beat Iona and Indiana, but it would take a lot of losses by other teams for us to go from receiving no votes to being ranked in just a week.

Reaction Score

Indiana's 7-0 is completely meaningless. They've played absolutely no one. Their game tonight against FSU will be a barometer of how legit they are.

For us, votes/rankings are nice but ultimately irrelevant. In order to sniff a tournament bid, we have to build an OOC resume. Through 7 games we have 2 RPI top 50 wins against major conference schools, 3 top 100 wins, and an SOS of 52. That puts us in a significantly better position than we've been in in a long time.

Reaction Score
We need to steal a couple of games to make up for it. That loss makes the Xavier loss that much more painful. They would have just about cancelled each other out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom