Kenpom Climb Watch | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kenpom Climb Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So much easier to make the Tournament and secure a protected seed.
Except for one important aspect, we have to actually beat the majority of all those far superior teams.

I think folks think that once these teams see “UConn” on our jerseys, everyone is just gonna lay down. Remember folks, we are still rebuilding. We are on the right path but next year when we are in a basketball conference with the top to bottom strength of the Big East, we are going to see how far we have come and how far we still need to go. I don’t see us walking in next year and dominating. Obviously I hope I am wrong. But I am not assuming an easy road to the tournament just because we are in the Big East.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Except for one important aspect, we have to actually beat the majority of all those far superior teams.

I think folks think that once these teams see “UConn” on our jerseys, everyone is just gonna lay down. Remember folks, we are still rebuilding. We are on the right path but next year when we are in a basketball conference with the top to bottom strength of the Big East, we are going to see how far we have come and how far we still need to go. I don’t see us walking in next year and dominating. Obviously I hope I am wrong. But I am not assuming an easy road to the tournament just because we are in the Big East.
Oh ye of little faith.

Reaction Score
Anyone with a kenpom account know what the spread for the Maine game is?

Reaction Score

Yes, we have to beat those teams. But it's still going to be much easier to go 12-6 in the BE and get a good seed than to go 14-4 in the AAC and get a good seed.

Reaction Score
Even if we win our next two, our kenpom won’t climb much and could actually drop. Indiana is very big game on 12/10.

Whether we climb or not just depends on the points scored and given up. If we win by 21, as the current numbers predict, we should hold roughly constant. Win by more and our stats will improve, win by less (or lose obviously) and our stats will deteriorate.

This is the same for any game... the "bigness" of the name on the other team's jersey doesn't really factor into it.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
After seeing the 10 deep play against Miami my hope is they will see themselves as a team of destiny by believing in the game plan and their personal and collective will to enforce that in the game. I used to love to watch the earlier JC teams with 10 man pressure and superior conditioning just stifle and harass other teams
for 40 mins. I especially liked that when they fell behind even by say 8 or 10 in first half they didn't change anything about the defense. It just kept coming harder and harder and wore down the opponent mentally and physically until the tide turned and then they would turn it up a notch like wolves when they smelled blood.
Bring it on!!!

Reaction Score

should you guys be able to keep both bouknight and akok atleast another year you should compete in the top half at the least. nova will be championship level good next year again and honestly depaul will be loaded if paul reed doesn't go the draft, but everyone else will likely be worse. should be a very good opportunity to finish in the top 4-5

Reaction Score
After seeing the 10 deep play against Miami my hope is they will see themselves as a team of destiny by believing in the game plan and their personal and collective will to enforce that in the game. I used to love to watch the earlier JC teams with 10 man pressure and superior conditioning just stifle and harass other teams
for 40 mins. I especially liked that when they fell behind even by say 8 or 10 in first half they didn't change anything about the defense. It just kept coming harder and harder and wore down the opponent mentally and physically until the tide turned and then they would turn it up a notch like wolves when they smelled blood.
Bring it on!!!

RK
"Now this is the law of the Jungle,
As true and as old as the sky,
And those that would keep it may prosper,
And those that would break it would die,
As the creeper engirdles the tree trunk,
The law runs forward and back,
For the strengh of the pack is the wolf,
But the strength of the wolf is the pack"

Teamwork!

Reaction Score
Stays put at 53 after the 24 point win over Maine. Wasn’t a big enough margin to increase our rank. Glad we covered the line at least.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Stays put at 53 after the 24 point win over Maine. Wasn’t a big enough margin to increase our rank. Glad we covered the line at least.
Our margin of victory was fine.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
KenPom isn’t reflecting reality yet. Look at rankings for Purdue and Iowa State, and Michigan State as #1. Nothing to worry about. We took care of business. You play a game and you can win or lose. Iona coming up then a chance to impress against IU.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Scared about Iona. They’re a decent team. Boys gotta show up ready to play
Iona is going to be TOUGH. They are a top 100 team who returns 4 starting upperclassmen from last season. They took a really good La Salle team to OT. EJ Crawford is the best player in the MAAC. Their PG Asante Gist was a high end 3 star recruit played with RJ Cole for Hurley Sr.

Reaction Score
Iona is going to be TOUGH. They are a top 100 team who returns 4 starting upperclassmen from last season. They took a really good La Salle team to OT. EJ Crawford is the best player in the MAAC. Their PG Asante Gist was a high end 3 star recruit played with RJ Cole for Hurley Sr.
Not saying you are wrong, I don't know much about them, but Kenpom has them at 178 not top 100...

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Not saying you are wrong, I don't know much about them, but Kenpom has them at 178 not top 100...
I think the Kenpom on them is wrong because it includes numbers from the last year, they started 2-9 last year before going on an absolute tear to make the tourney. Most of the preason top to bottom rankings had them around 100. I’m not saying I think we’re going to lose, I just think it will be a tough game ala Buffalo. #95 Iona Men's Basketball 2019-2020 Preview

Reaction Score
Iona could be a tough game but we are going to be ~12-15 point favorites, so from a vegas standpoint it's one of the easiest remaining games on our schedule. They aren't close to a top 100 team based on Kenpom and La Salle isn't either.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Iona could be a tough game but we are going to be ~12-15 point favorites, so from a vegas standpoint it's one of the easiest remaining games on our schedule. They aren't close to a top 100 team based on Kenpom and La Salle isn't either.
We still have to play St. Peter’s, NJIT, New Hampshire, ECU all much easier games. Iona is still a perennial tournament team that returns everyone, minus McGill, from last year it’s not going to be an easy game. I expect a similar game as Buffalo.

Reaction Score
I think the Kenpom on them is wrong because it includes numbers from the last year, they started 2-9 last year before going on an absolute tear to make the tourney. Most of the preason top to bottom rankings had them around 100. I’m not saying I think we’re going to lose, I just think it will be a tough game ala Buffalo. #95 Iona Men's Basketball 2019-2020 Preview

Nah. They lost to Ohio U at home by 9 and beat 319th ranked Steton by only 5. Their play this year has actually worsened their rank from the pre-season, so it's not last year's numbers holding their rank back.

Last year they started 2-9 against real teams, and then "went on an absolute tear" against the garbage teams in their conference. The best team they beat during their 10 game winning streak was 212th. And before that streak they lost 4 straight to teams between 234th and 301st.

So sure, a tear from 240th overall to 198th. Their best win last year was neutral court against Hartford. Iona is 1-7 in their games against top 200 teams over last and this year. Buffalo is 28-4 against the same grouping over the same span, including 4-1 this year with the only loss to us.

They're the 2nd oldest team in the NCAA by minutes played, but they're integrating some new rotation pieces so are only in the 68th %tile of minutes continuity. They turn the ball over a ton and basically just chuck 3's. Only problem, Jellyfam still can't shoot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Regardless of ranking, all that matters is how we do in our Conference in this final year. We need to leave as we usually do, on top (or top tier). Just saying the Maines, Iona's and similar teams won't do much for us, because of where we were positioned at the beginning of the season.

Its Conference Championship, I just want to win that this season! I'm just glad to 'finally' have a doable and reasonable hope for our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom