Kansas Facing Major Allegations | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Kansas Facing Major Allegations

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He's so consistently so wrong about everything that Self will probably end up getting a raise.

@HuskyHawk thinks he's getting canned, and while he knows way more than me in this, I just don't see it. Maybe the program gets dinged, but I'm betting Self just keeps on trucking.

Doubt Miller will get fired, or Wade, or whomever. Nobody cares.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
@HuskyHawk thinks he's getting canned, and while he knows way more than me in this, I just don't see it. Maybe the program gets dinged, but I'm betting Self just keeps on trucking.

Just reporting what I was hearing. As for my personal thoughts, how much harder will the NCAA come down on KU if they don't fire Self? If they can buy one less year of tournament ban and some fewer reduced scholarships by bringing in a new coach, they will.

Adding @huskymedic

Reaction Score
The reason that we all say "nothing will happen" is because nothing ever happens. If I'm Kansas, I fight this to the end. The only reason NOT to fight it is if it starts hurting recruiting, but that doesn't seem likely. If I'm a top recruit that wants to go to Kansas, why wouldn't I? Has any top recruit gotten screwed by going to a school that was in the NCAA's cross hairs (other than UConn).

I personally think we'll see a "from now on..." level-set. It'll be like the steroid era of baseball. Maybe fans will put an asterisk next to some names, but the NCAA will just chalk it up to "everyone was doing it, and it wouldn't be fair to current players and fans to enforce the rule against everyone." Of course the "everyone" is the big schools that have the NCAA captive.

What I wonder if payments are still happening at an institutional (sneaker) level. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some movement in recruiting away from institutional cheaters (getting money from Nike/Adidas), back to old-school booster cheaters. That may shift some money-seeking talent (or maybe it won't).

Reaction Score
Nothing new here, folks: the NCAA is a shady place.

As others have noted before, double standards abound with the NCAA: UNC got away with blind robbery over a sustained, 20-year period; Reggie Bush and USC were given the death knell for their transgression, meanwhile Ohio State did far, far worse (involving its coach and more players) but were given a minor slap on the wrist.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Actually they would but like most fans you’d prefer to keep things as they are even though you complain about the way they are.

The only things you mentioned that would affect booster money, sneaker money, AAU influence, "agents", etc, in today's day and age were:
  • Get rid of 1- done.
  • And shut down Kansas Louisville Arizona and any other program famous for slime. Make them sit out s year like Kentucky did in the Fifties.

These have no impact on booster money, sneaker money, AAU influence, "agents":
  • Get rid of the transfer portal and grad transfers.
  • Cut the schedule to 24 games regular season.
  • Eliminate the bs early season tournaments in exotic locations that draw flies for fans.
  • Start the season on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
  • Play all games on campus.

No sure what you're trying to accomplish with this one, but it won't change any coach's modus operandi:
  • And cap coaching salaries.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Simply stated, admit that the P5 and a few other G5 athletic programs are a professional sports organization focused on making money, not promoting academics. Separate men's basketball and football (possibly men's hockey, women's basketball, men's soccer, men's lacrosse, and baseball, too) from direct university control (maybe license agreements to use a university's name or something can be put in place). This would move everything above the table as we see in the NFL, NBA, NHL, etc. The US is the only country where this academic sports model exists. The Sorboone, McGill, Oxford, etc. do not run athletic budgets in the tens-of-millions. Sports is a business. The Ivy League basically did this 50 years ago, survived, and continue to do well. Thus, it is feasible. Of course, that some universities may have to let go a huge part of their identity and focus back on academics, which should be a good thing.

Devolve the NCAA back to what it was with respect to an oversight organization responsible for promoting and ensuring fairness of college athletics with a focus on non-revenue sports and programs (DII and DIII).

Of course, with the billions of dollars on the table (and millions below it), this will not happen.

Reaction Score
Self and KU have been charged and says the allegations are false and he will fight them. He knew nothing.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

FWIW, when I said always wrong, I meant Wolken.

They all hated JC because he was a jerk in press conferences. Pitino and Self are straight-up shoveling cash and hookers but GOSH HE WAS ALWAYS GOOD FOR A GOOD QUOTE

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The only things you mentioned that would affect booster money, sneaker money, AAU influence, "agents", etc, in today's day and age were:
  • Get rid of 1- done.
  • And shut down Kansas Louisville Arizona and any other program famous for slime. Make them sit out s year like Kentucky did in the Fifties.

These have no impact on booster money, sneaker money, AAU influence, "agents":
  • Get rid of the transfer portal and grad transfers.
  • Cut the schedule to 24 games regular season.
  • Eliminate the bs early season tournaments in exotic locations that draw flies for fans.
  • Start the season on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
  • Play all games on campus.

No sure what this is trying to accomplish with this one, but it won't change any coach's modus operandi:
  • And cap coaching salaries.

Do you want us to eliminate dunking and the 3pt line too?

The NCAA just needs to give the death penalty for this type of action. And be consistent about it in case if ever happens again.

Reaction Score
FWIW, when I said always wrong, I meant Wolken.

They all hated JC because he was a jerk in press conferences. Pitino and Self are straight-up shoveling cash and hookers but GOSH HE WAS ALWAYS GOOD FOR A GOOD QUOTE
He wasn’t a jerk he was passionate about his job. Don’t disrespect the GOAT ever

Reaction Score
Do you want us to eliminate dunking and the 3pt line too?

The NCAA just needs to give the death penalty for this type of action. And be consistent about it in case if ever happens again.
I’d be ok with that but Kansas will get at worst a 1 year post season ban have a few records vacated (kinda the NCAAs version of taking a drivers license away from a 14 year old) and Self will be suspended for a bunch of games. Has UL been penalized at all for its effort at buying players while on probation?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If there is one person out there who truly believes that the NCAA is going to hand down any major penalties to Kansas - I am getting together a poker game Saturday night and I really want you there.
This is right about the time when the world finds out Alabama A&T was paying a walk-on to improve the team GPA.

Kansas will get swept under the rug in all the headlines.

Reaction Score
Calhoun didn't play their game, in many of our institutions you have to kiss arse and shovel s***. Calhoun was never about that and many of these empty suits were always waiting to take him out.

Self, K, Roy, Pitino etc. all play the game.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Calhoun didn't play their game, in many of our institutions you have to kiss arse and shovel s***. Calhoun was never about that and many of these empty suits were always waiting to take him out.

Self, K, Roy, Pitino etc. all play the game.
I loved him for that but it did have a downside.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
You guys, Gary Parrish wants you to know that this is SERIOUS and the NCAA has ALWAYS BEEN SERIOUS

Reaction Score

Nice to be lumped in the "Made Program" pile, even though it is complete BS. The NCAA literally "Made Up" our academic problem so they could punish us for it. Cuse had a marginally bad indiscretion, but not too bad.

Meanwhile, UNC, Duke and UK skate for years. AZ seems to be bucking the NCAA and so do LSU and Auburn. What a farce. If KU gets whacked, it will be because it isn't as big of a golden goose as UK/Duke/UNC and the NCAA realizes they can't survive if they keep letting the big names get away with everything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom