Kansas Facing Major Allegations | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Kansas Facing Major Allegations

Reaction Score

No one cares about G-Tech's atheltic programs. If Georgia's football program ever ran into trouble, the NCAA woudl likely throw G-Tech under the bus if G-State or Georgia Southern were not available to be used as a sacrifice.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If I wanted to get all conspiracy theory on this, I would say Kansas is in deep trouble on a broader level than just these specific allegations. UConn's athletic program started to get bombarded with investigations, mostly over nonsense like the APR, in the midst of the last round of conference realignment. It certainly seemed like the "powers that be" had it out for UConn.

The Big 12's TV contract runs through 2024. By the time anything happens on this investigation, it is probably mid-year 2020. Let's say the NCAA drops the hammer on the program. Scholarships are lost and maybe a rash of transfers occurs. Kansas has a few down years, maybe misses back to back NCAA Tournaments. Who knows what the program looks like on the other end, but Texas and Oklahoma could be on their way out at that point, and Kansas won't look real appealing as an addition to the SEC or Big 10 if the Big 12 blows up.

Kansas should be nervous.

Reaction Score
Interesting article about how the schools implicated in the pay for play scandal are thumbing their noses at the NCAA and not doing anything about the cheating. Says the NCAA is determined to hammer these schools because their membership is calling for it.

There are clear signs that NCAA Enforcement is aggressively targeting head coaches and going for major penalties — in accordance with the membership’s wishes. The Condoleezza Rice-led Commission on College Basketball in its 2018 report called for “stronger penalties, including longer postseason bans, loss of all postseason revenue sharing, up to a lifetime ban, head coach restrictions that span more than one season and full-year recruiting restrictions.”

Kansas will be a fascinating test case. NCAA Enforcement has rarely been as well-armed as it was in crafting the Jayhawks’ NOA, thanks to federal wiretaps, bank records, testimony under oath and the association’s own investigative work. On the opposite side stands a basketball blueblood that already has very publicly signaled its willingness to dispute many of the allegations it faces, a strategy that famously backfired for USC football more than a decade ago.

“I’m more confident that the NCAA will take some strong measures, maybe more than most people,” said a veteran head coach. “I get the cynicism outside our profession but the NCAA has gone on record stating that they’re going to follow through with evidence that they find that’s worthy of some type of judgement.”

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Interesting article about how the schools implicated in the pay for play scandal are thumbing their noses at the NCAA and not doing anything about the cheating. Says the NCAA is determined to hammer these schools because their membership is calling for it.

There are clear signs that NCAA Enforcement is aggressively targeting head coaches and going for major penalties — in accordance with the membership’s wishes. The Condoleezza Rice-led Commission on College Basketball in its 2018 report called for “stronger penalties, including longer postseason bans, loss of all postseason revenue sharing, up to a lifetime ban, head coach restrictions that span more than one season and full-year recruiting restrictions.”

Kansas will be a fascinating test case. NCAA Enforcement has rarely been as well-armed as it was in crafting the Jayhawks’ NOA, thanks to federal wiretaps, bank records, testimony under oath and the association’s own investigative work. On the opposite side stands a basketball blueblood that already has very publicly signaled its willingness to dispute many of the allegations it faces, a strategy that famously backfired for USC football more than a decade ago.

“I’m more confident that the NCAA will take some strong measures, maybe more than most people,” said a veteran head coach. “I get the cynicism outside our profession but the NCAA has gone on record stating that they’re going to follow through with evidence that they find that’s worthy of some type of judgement.”

I posted in non-key tweets that "the dude of WV" said UConn would pay for Self's sins. He's a moron, but I'm not sure what he was even insinuating.

Reaction Score
I posted in non-key tweets that "the dude of WV" said UConn would pay for Self's sins. He's a moron, but I'm not sure what he was even insinuating.
Because we’ve been used as an example
before with the double-jeopardy, APR/GPR (whatever it was) nonsense

Just a lame joke

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I found this tidbit interesting.

The schools have, essentially, dared the NCAA to do what it has at times been historically incapable of – litigating and enforcing its own rule book. Perhaps emboldened by North Carolina’s controversial escape from academic fraud sanctions in October 2017, the days of proactive self-policing and cooperating with the NCAA could be over.

If whoever is adjudicated next is able to escape like UNCheat, it could become the wild west, not that it isn't already. The NCAA really messed up that investigation. I saw a UNCheat fan on twitter defending the school by asking what rule they broke. No shame. It's amazing how the NCAA can care about academics (punishing us) and not care about academics (UNCheat) at the same time.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Cuse had a marginally bad indiscretion, but not too bad.
Are you referring to Syracuse's decade long triple scandal of drugs, illegal payments to players and academic fraud? Because that seems like a pretty bad "indiscretion" to me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Billy $elf really sticking it to the NCAA. Although I hope the program gets hammered, this is still pretty hilarious

Reaction Score

He was being sarcastic, the same way every time a UNC/Duke/Kansas gets hit people say how Wilmington will now be punished by the NCAA. Nothing to be alarmed about.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Billy $elf really sticking it to the NCAA. Although I hope the program gets hammered, this is still pretty hilarious

I like in Hurley's interview when asked about his favorite music he named Petty as his favorite and then said old school rap like Big Daddy Kane & Eric B. and Rakim are his favorites, then he says he listens to some of the cr@p the kids listen to so he can relate to his team and the recruits. Also found out Dave Borges is a hip-hop head.

Reaction Score
Also found out Dave Borges is a hip-hop head.
Borges is a big fan of all kinds of music. I've seen him make more references to classic rock than hip-hop but he seems to know a lot about all kinds of music.

Reaction Score

That's risky. Calhoun basically gave the NCAA a giant middle finger after his multi-game suspension and look what happened to UConn after. The NCAA is under a lot of pressure to fix things. Faulting the NCAA is just asking to get crushed. After all, the NCAA is bascially building a case off of an existing FBA criminal investigation.

Reaction Score
Nothing will happen to Kansas just like nothing happened to UNC and just like nothing will ever happen to Duke. Sad, but true.

Reaction Score

First off I’ll believe it when I see it. Still waiting to see Louisville get a real penalty.

Reaction Score
Nothing will happen to Kansas just like nothing happened to UNC and just like nothing will ever happen to Duke. Sad, but true.
That was a complete disgrace just because those UNC courses were offered to their general academic population. The NCAA then left it up to UNC to fix its own academic problems. Now they’re signing the #2 recruit while Roy goes aw shucks. How many of their basketball players stayed eligible to play by that? That’sthe Question the NCAA should have answered. Calhoun’s career was basically ended over player’s academic averages and if those players took courses that gave them automatic A’s for papers that they didn’t write, would never have had a problem or caused one for the team. I can’t really let this thing go because of the ultimate conference damage it ultimately caused our program, and the ensuing destruction. I know I need to let this go.

Reaction Score
That was a complete disgrace just because those UNC courses were offered to their general academic population. The NCAA then left it up to UNC to fix its own academic problems. Now they’re signing the #2 recruit while Roy goes aw shucks. How many of their basketball players stayed eligible to play by that? That’sthe Question the NCAA should have answered. Calhoun’s career was basically ended over player’s academic averages and if those players took courses that gave them automatic A’s for papers that they didn’t write, would never have had a problem or caused one for the team. I can’t really let this thing go because of the ultimate conference damage it ultimately caused our program, and the ensuing destruction. I know I need to let this go.

(my tired thumbs apologize in advance for the lenthgy post)

There is no reason to let it go. We felt the NCAA's punishment pretty hard if I remember correctly and I still feel like we are on a watch list to this day. I feel, as well, that UNC got off waaayyyy to easy, a light twig tap on the hand for what they did. The NCAA missed the mark with them. It is not right in what the NCAA gave the Tar Heels and I don't think the NCAA doles out its punishments evenly. I feel slighted as a UConn fan and I feel for other schools that feel slighted too.

I am not an expert in my sanctions knowledge but after bouncing around this forum and reading on some topics I think I saw GA Tech getting a pretty tough sanction for what they did, and for what Louisville did in comparison to that, I am not seeing the balancing scale even out. Then, you factor in how UNC gets away nearly scott free, and I again can't see the justness of the NCAA's rulings. Factor in how we got treated, and the plot thickens.

Now, as far as KU goes, I've seen some thoughts out on the web that this is some serious stuff. Level I, lack of institutional control stuff. This is like the creme-de-la-creme of sanctionable findings if I saw correctly. I would not be surprised if KU comes out of this okay, however. If this does happen, I again won't see the sanction balancing scale weighing out appropriately either.

I just don't have faith in what the NCAA does as far as punishment. It seems like they willy nilly, lotto ball drawing in these regards. Perhaps schools have better responses back than others and this sets the punishment levels out, I am not sure. Perhaps the NCAA is on the take, I am not sure. All in all, something just does not add up for me and it is not fair for some schools to pay a heavier price than others. These decisions may not be cut and dry, nor may they have cut and dry criteria -- which may be part of the problem -- but I think the NCAA should apply punishments out a bit more evenly.

My two cents, for what it is worth.

And, oh yeah, if we're gonna look to the NCAA to setup a paid playership fairly, good luck with that one, lol.

Otherwise, may the NCAA protect and provide for the mass of student athletes who deserve a great student athlete experince, these kids deserve it.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
How many of their basketball players stayed eligible to play by that? That’s the Question the NCAA should have answered.
Amen. That class should have been removed and GPA's recalculated. Any games played with an ineligible student athlete are forfeited. Easy answer.

Reaction Score

Not to mention that it was a sham that the classes in question where open to all students. It was statistically impossible that it was just happenstance that the class (roughly 250 total seats if I remember correctly) was 50% filled by students who were on football and basketball scholarships (about 100 total students) whereas the entire undergraduate population of UNC Chapel Hill is about 19,000. Someone was actively steering athletes to that class and ensuring that they got preferential treatment in enrolling in those classes. Of course, why would the NCAA pay attention to facts that any Fresman taking Stats 101 could figure out when Emmert & co. had a very specific agenda to follow.

Reaction Score

UConn: “Ma! We’re gettin’ made!”

UConn being made by the NCAA:
1F668168-4EC6-4D49-8F79-DB7CD19AF7E6.jpeg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not to mention that it was a sham that the classes in question where open to all students. It was statistically impossible that it was just happenstance that the class (roughly 250 total seats if I remember correctly) was 50% filled by students who were on football and basketball scholarships (about 100 total students) whereas the entire undergraduate population of UNC Chapel Hill is about 19,000. Someone was actively steering athletes to that class and ensuring that they got preferential treatment in enrolling in those classes. Of course, why would the NCAA pay attention to facts that any Fresman taking Stats 101 could figure out when Emmert & co. had a very specific agenda to follow.

There was nothing they could do about it. It's outside of their authority. They push the boundaries of what they can do as it is (boosters are defined way too broadly). It's a voluntary association of the participating schools. They are not handing over the power to direct academic affairs. If anything they will pull back powers the NCAA has today.

Reaction Score
There was nothing they could do about it. It's outside of their authority. They push the boundaries of what they can do as it is (boosters are defined way too broadly). It's a voluntary association of the participating schools. They are not handing over the power to direct academic affairs. If anything they will pull back powers the NCAA has today.
The classes were not offered to the general student population they were available to the general student population which is different. The students had to stumble on them somehow and enroll before they were filled by the athletes. The athletic department of course knew all about them as the educational advisor involved had her office in the athletic department.

Of course the NCAA could have done something.

Think of Ryan Boatright when he had to miss games his freshman year because the NCAA was looking into reports that a family friend had paid for an airline ticket so his mother could accompany him on his visit to UCONN. Why did UConn react and hold him out? I am sure because of the dire consequences that the NCAA told them would occur if their investigation did not clear him.

Contrast that with the programs that have taken in the players whose families where implicated in wiretaps with payoffs being discussed. What message do you think the NCAA sent to them? Could they have told them that since the NCAA had agreed to not pursue their investigation until the FBI was thru, they could allow the players to play without fear of consequences to the schools even if the players were subsequently found to be ineligible? How else can you explain how Duke could accept Zion when coaches from other schools are on tape discussing the asking price that his family was demanding. I am not saying that Zion's family is proven to have done that, but I am saying there is evidence that they could have done what others in the investigation were proven to have done. Duke would not have accepted and played him without a get out of jail free card.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom