Kaleena | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Kaleena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I see the NFL teams often wearing "throwback" jerseys (but no leather helmets w/o face guards) of the pre-TV era, so maybe we should go back to the ooooold rules of wcbb and start six players. That would work on the court but then Boneyarders would have to go back to talking about that foul call on Diana vs. VaTech.

Reaction Score
DT may be the best player ever, and even for those who disagree, she is in that conversation. She didn't start as a freshman. Geno doesn't like to start frosh, when he does, it isn't so much that they are so darned good they deserve it, but lack of alternatives. Moriah might turn out to be the best basketball player in the history of the universe, but I predict she won't start early in her frosh year.
Agree. Even Maya started because of a couple of knee injuries. Without those knee injuries, Maya may have been only (did I say only?) a three time All-American.

Reaction Score
Regarding chatter about starters: Don't know if Geno would/could go this way, but with this team and so much talent ...
Talent? Perhaps unquantifiable talent or immature talent, since both Geno and CD say they don't know what they can get out of several of the players at this point in the season. They don't know what they can count on. Certainly the potential is there. By January it will interesting to look back and see how much individuals and the team as a whole have improved.

Reaction Score
How do you not start Breanna Stewart? I think Bria Hartley sits with KML at the 3, Breanna at the 4, Stef at the 5, Kelly at the 2, and Caroline at the 1.
I've seen several other people predict Hartley will come off the bench, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. She's started every game since her freshman year (averaging over 12 points per game), and is already a better player than Faris and Doty.

She won't be coming off the bench...uh...ever.

Reaction Score
sit farris, does she even attempt to score? she can come in if there's someone who is failling to guard an opposing player.
Actually Kelly "accounts" for many points with her defense. She defensively starts many fastbreaks. Other get the layups but without Kelly they don't. Same with her rebounding. If she averages 1o or so points and does everything else well, then she is the one.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I've seen several other people predict Hartley will come off the bench, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. She's started every game since her freshman year (averaging over 12 points per game), and is already a better player than Faris and Doty.

She won't be coming off the bench...uh...ever.
Sorry, not buying what ya'll are selling here.

Reaction Score
I'm a big Faris fan and appreciate Doty as much as the next person...but I'm not sure how people are still debating that Hartley isn't the best player of the three.

It's amazing how much people on this board continue to underrate how good Hartley is/is going to be.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Actually Kelly "accounts" for many points with her defense. She defensively starts many fastbreaks. Other get the layups but without Kelly they don't. Same with her rebounding. If she averages 1o or so points and does everything else well, then she is the one.
I agree. Last year Kelly, only a sophomore at the time, was:

5th in scoring (7.8 ppg)
2nd in rebounding (6.7 rpg)
2nd in assists (142 or 3.7 apg)
2nd in steals (70 or 1.8 spg)
3rd in blocks (22 or .6 bpg)
and unofficially 1st in tipped passes
usually while guarding the opponent's best player

Some of the things Kelly does isn't quantifiable, either. Two years ago, UConn was in Morgantown WV playing WVU and the Huskies started to flounder a bit, turning over the ball and clearly losing the momentum in the game. Kelly, only a freshman, came into the game and within about 10 seconds got a key steal and an assist on a quick bucket that perked the Huskies up. She singlehandedly turned the game around but the stats line is only going to show a steal and a assist. I don't know how you describe someone like that to a person that hasn't seen her play.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm a big Faris fan and appreciate Doty as much as the next person...but I'm not sure how people are still debating that Hartley isn't the best player of the three.

It's amazing how much people on this board continue to underrate how good Hartley is/is going to be.

I guess it depends what exactly you are evaluating. Hartley might be the best overall player of the three, but Faris is a better defender/rebounder/maybe even passer and a smarter player (although that's certainly debatable). Caroline is probably more effective for us at the point than Hartley (at this time), only because Hartley is such a devastating scorer. It kind of diminishes her value a little bit to put her at the point; I'd like Hartley to think 'score first' every time. I also like how Caroline runs the team, her knowledge of the system, her fire, etc.

Briah has the highest upside of all these players.

Reaction Score
reading this just got me thinking...then what in the world happens in the USA try outs, i can't understand why she wouldnt make a single team.
Geno had an explanation that I thought summed it up nicely. Moriah was just too young. Young in actual age, but also physically, mentally, and emotionally. She has some growing up to do, but it worth waiting on that maturity because of her talent and competitiveness.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Bria may be the weakest defender of the starting five. BB is more than just scoring points.

Reaction Score
I guess it depends what exactly you are evaluating. Hartley might be the best overall player of the three, but Faris is a better defender/rebounder/maybe even passer and a smarter player (although that's certainly debatable). Caroline is probably more effective for us at the point than Hartley (at this time), only because Hartley is such a devastating scorer. It kind of diminishes her value a little bit to put her at the point; I'd like Hartley to think 'score first' every time. I also like how Caroline runs the team, her knowledge of the system, her fire, etc.

Briah has the highest upside of all these players.

If by best player you mean most talented then Bria is the best player of those three, although Caroline before the injuries was arguably more talented. If you mean best player in terms of actually helping her team impact the score board on offense and defense I would argue that Kelly is the best player based on the evidence I have seen.

Reaction Score

she was third in minutes last year, and probably will lead in minutes this year. she is fearless, and geno loves fearless. her frosh stats were as good as almost any frosh in uconn history. shot 47%, was the leading 3 point shooter, almost 4 rebounds,and did the majority of the ballhandling. her ballhandling is criticized roundly, though averaged less than 3 per game(only 14 more than kelly for the year). i too am amazed at the lack of appreciation .

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
boy folks are hard on Bria... shame that we have to debate who better of players on the same team (bad enough doing it against former rival or current opponents)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
boy folks are hard on Bria... shame that we have to debate who better of players on the same team (bad enough doing it against former rival or current opponents)

C'mon, DC - It's not a question of having to debating anything -- who's better, who's up, who's down, who's better in this situation, against this team, against that team, who should start, who shouldn't start -- it's just part and parcel of the BY madness. I haven't seen anyone slamming any of our players, Bria included. If anything, there are several posters who, like a couple weeks ago, seem to take umbrage if everybody doesn't just outright agree that Bria is our best player period, end of story, like it's not even open to question. This is crazy. We are blessed with a ton of guard talent, and if someone doesn't line up and say "Bria is the best", that is not at all the same thing as trashing or underappreciating Bria. I can say that Kelly still sometimes looks like she's shooting bricks, or that Bria's defense is not always great, or whatever, and I still love both these players and appreciate everything they do.

IMHO we don't have a clear "best" player at this point. There is no Maya. Each of the players-not-named-Stef that get talked about the most on this subject has their relative strengths and weaknesses. People are going to go back and forth on this kind of thing. Let's not confuse people's varying opinions on the relative s&w of players with their absolute level of support for all who play for Connecticut.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
C'mon, DC - It's not a question of having to debating anything -- who's better, who's up, who's down, who's better in this situation, against this team, against that team, who should start, who shouldn't start -- it's just part and parcel of the BY madness. I haven't seen anyone slamming any of our players, Bria included. If anything, there are several posters who, like a couple weeks ago, seem to take umbrage if everybody doesn't just outright agree that Bria is our best player period, end of story, like it's not even open to question. This is crazy. We are blessed with a ton of guard talent, and if someone doesn't line up and say "Bria is the best", that is not at all the same thing as trashing or underappreciating Bria. I can say that Kelly still sometimes looks like she's shooting bricks, or that Bria's defense is not always great, or whatever, and I still love both these players and appreciate everything they do.

IMHO we don't have a clear "best" player at this point. There is no Maya. Each of the players-not-named-Stef that get talked about the most on this subject has their relative strengths and weaknesses. People are going to go back and forth on this kind of thing. Let's not confuse people's varying opinions on the relative s&w of players with their absolute level of support for all who play for Connecticut.
ok...

all bring something to the table so I just dont get the "who should start" crap... everyone thats any good will get between 20-30 minutes whether they start or finish. I just dont see the point of this while Bria is playing well.

I understand folks enjoy a good debate so I wont stick my nose in this one(I actually held out but could resist)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
ok...

all bring something to the table so I just dont get the "who should start" crap... everyone thats any good will get between 20-30 minutes whether they start or finish. I just dont see the point of this while Bria is playing well.

I understand folks enjoy a good debate so I wont stick my nose in this one(I actually held out but could resist)

The problem is that we have too many good players. With the kids coming next year, we will field two Top 3-5 teams. Not even an exaggeration. It's ridiculous.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The problem is that we have too many good players. With the kids coming next year, we will field two Top 3-5 teams. Not even an exaggeration. It's ridiculous.
I agree

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Better talent or upside than Doty, yes, better leader not yet. At the moment Caroline is the only player on the team that can fulfill her role well. Next closest and emerging maybe Dolson.

Bria's biggest challenge right now is to know how and where to rein it in and not make excessively reckless or low percentage passes.

Reaction Score
KML needs to start against Stanford. The extra offense she provides will keep us from getting into an early hole. I would bring Kelly off the bench.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is all Geno and CD's fault. Every year Geno complains that our expectations as fans are to high and then he and Chris go out and raise them higher than ever.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The discussion (I am avoiding the term "argument") about who should start is one that is not as important as the one about who should get the most (or least) playing time. In my view (neither cloyingly humble nor deliberately confrontational) the most important issue is Who Should Finish, i.e., who the "crunch time" players should be.

Let me give all three a try.

First, starters. Stef and Caroline and Tiffany are no-brainers. The "big girl" is the essential dominant post; Tiffany is an excellent player, the only senior and a co-captain; and Caroline is, well, Caroline. Finally, two of three players named Kelly, Bria and Kaleena will start and I simply defer to Geno as to which two answer the opening bell.

Next, playing time. In competitive games, Dolson should log about 30 minutes, Caroline 20 and the other four about 25 apiece. The remaining 50 or so minutes split among Kiah, Brianna, Heather, Michala and Lauren with priority to the first two.

Who finishes? Up to Geno with consideration to factors like match-ups, foul trouble, and who's hot/who's not. I think Stef and Kaleena must be on the court at crunch time. Geno pick three more from game to game.

Let's watch closely to see how Geno manages this vs. Stanford on Monday so we are sure to have lots to talk about on Tuesday.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Who finishes? Up to Geno with consideration to factors like match-ups, foul trouble, and who's hot/who's not. I think Stef and Kaleena must be on the court at crunch time. Geno pick three more from game to game.

I'll add that my non-confrontational view says you need to add Kelly to your crunch time roster. At crunch time you need good solid defense on the opposition's scorer, you need good rebounding and you need good decision making. That spells Kelly to me. Other opinions may vary.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I dont think it really matters who starts. Kibitzer makes a very good point. Yes we have alot of very good players and we will have some great ones come in next season and the season after and the season after. Our second group could be a top 4 team. Are starting lineup is a lineup of experience and has chemistry. I like starting that group to maintain and set the chemistry for the game. Starting a freshman at this point especially againest a top team could hurt that chemistry. Maybe as the season progresses that will change but for now leave it alone. Coming off the bench isnt a sin.

As far as Stanford goes, Im not worried and would be very surprised if we lose. We score more points this season then last season and Stanford lose imo the heart of their team, their team leader in Polen. Pederson is a huge void to fill and their team chemistry imo cant be what it was last season.

The game isnt all about talent. Its about team chemistry and leadership on the court and UConn has that. Having Stef at 6'5 in the middle is huge. She can pass and score and is difficult to stop. Stanford imo isnt as good as they were last season. Neka is very good but cant do it alone. Chiney is very good to but going up againest Stef Heather and Kiah aint gonna be easy so who picks up the slack. You see UConn has alot of scorers not only from deep but from all over and UConns guards play sufficating defense. UConn will win by 10+ and dont be surprised if it turns into a rout. This is a very good team with one flaw. They have to rebound better. Did you notice how rebounds were down the last game? That was because we shot around 70% and there werent many rebounds. We will get a better indication on Monday who well we rebound.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm a huge fan of Bria Hartley. She needs to improve defensively and she's not the leader Doty is (yet). But I like players who are not afraid of the big moments and Bria is one of those players. She'll take and make big shots and make big plays. She did that not only against Baylor last year, but also against GTown in the Sweet 16 game and in other games as well (reg season games against ND). She became overwhelmed as a freshman in her first FF and started making plays too late in that game, but she's not the first UConn player to experience that. She's a pretty good rebounder for her size as well. I'll make a premature observation that with the game on the line I want the ball in the hands of either Bria or Kaleena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom