Kaleena | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Kaleena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Actually Kelly "accounts" for many points with her defense. She defensively starts many fastbreaks. Other get the layups but without Kelly they don't. Same with her rebounding. If she averages 1o or so points and does everything else well, then she is the one.

What you say about Kelly is certainly valid, although she could stand to be more of a threat to score on the "o" side, there are times on offense that we are playing four against five, in that teams know kelly won't shoot the ball very often and can play off of her. This does not matter against lesser talent as much but when we play teams such as the Cardinal, Baylor, ND etc it is a liability.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Many great teams have played four against five on the offensive end from the POV of scoring. It is not unusual. The UConn men largely did it when the won the national championship twice.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Kelly was high scorer last year against Stanford! Maybe she will be our instant offense this year also...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I liked Biff's comments about Kelly's importance at crunch time. (Who am I to confront a moderator?)

But I did suggest that match-ups and who's hot/who's not are among deciding factors when considering who is on the court with the game on the line. So, if an opponent is lighting it up, Geno will surely sic Kelly on her. But if we are down and need points, Bria is more likely to step up than anyone except Kaleena. And I never thought or said that both Kelly and Bria couldn't be out there at once. With Kaleena and Stef and whomever.

This may change soon, if Briana has a couple more of those eight-points-in-eight-minutes streaks. Talk about game changers!

Reaction Score
Are we really imagining Kelly matched up with C. Ogwumike? Is that really the best way to utilize Kelly's strengths as a defender?

Zone, you say? That still doesn't change the fact that someone undersized and is going to be matched up with an Ogwumike.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
For one thing I believe she was considerably younger than everyone on the team except Breanna. She was trying out for the U19 team.

+! Icebear.

That is exactly the reason that was given by people who were close to the selection process at the time.

Reaction Score
Many great teams have played four against five on the offensive end from the POV of scoring. It is not unusual. The UConn men largely did it when the won the national championship twice.

Sure but it is not the preferred way to to it. If Kelly where known to shoot the ball when left more open then it would be a better situation and not so easy to play off her when she is on the offensive end, this alone would keep KML or Tiff etc from being doubled more easily.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, but would not have the potential to shut down the opponent's best player nearly as well nor will they contribute to the defensive rotation and help D nearly as well. Plus Kelly is already demonstrating a willingness to attempt to score this year. IN every game to date she has made aggressive cuts to the hoop and I think has shot at least one 3 in every game. It will take time for that to emerge reliably, however, even now I always want Kelly on the court at crunch time.

We would all prefer to have 5-20 point scorers, too, but what is necessary is putting the team on the floor giving one the best chance of winning.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Shorter (or less tall) defenders have often done well defending against taller and highly talented offensive players. Bill Russell gave three or four inches to Wilt Chamberlain and I recall he more than held his own. Similar situation with their successors, Dave Cowens vs. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Dennis Rodman outrebounded many bigger guys. Charles Barkley was wide, but not tall (NBA tall). Kelly's tenaciousness makes her seem taller. (And here comes Stokes to the rescue.)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Are we really imagining Kelly matched up with C. Ogwumike? Is that really the best way to utilize Kelly's strengths as a defender?

Zone, you say? That still doesn't change the fact that someone undersized and is going to be matched up with an Ogwumike.

So far when Geno has gone to the 2-3, it's with either Buck or Kiah on one side of the baseline. Stef in the middle of course. With the teams we've faced so far, there's obviously no particular need to go zone in order to win the game; he's doing it so the team can work on it in game situations.

To me it's instructive that for the most part, the zone has not been run with "Stef + 4 guards". It has generally been run with Stef and another big on the floor at the same time.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
So far when Geno has gone to the 2-3, it's with either Buck or Kiah on one side of the baseline. Stef in the middle of course. With the teams we've faced so far, there's obviously no particular need to go zone in order to win the game; he's doing it so the team can work on it in game situations.

To me it's instructive that for the most part, the zone has not been run with "Stef + 4 guards". It has generally been run with Stef and another big on the floor at the same time.
During the first Geno Show he was asked about playing zone. He believes a team needs to have a big front line in order to play an effective zone. He gave the example of the Syracuse men. Geno said the team would play zone occasionally but would mainly be a man-to-man team.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
ok...

all bring something to the table so I just dont get the "who should start" crap... everyone thats any good will get between 20-30 minutes whether they start or finish. I just dont see the point of this while Bria is playing well.

I understand folks enjoy a good debate so I wont stick my nose in this one(I actually held out but could resist)

I'm with DC.

Reaction Score
Ding Ding Ding.

We only lose Tiffany next year, so the returning starters are Dolson, Faris, Hartley and Doty. My best guess is Lewis joins them and off the bench would be Stewart, Banks, Jefferson, Stokes, Johnson, Buck (if she comes back) and Engeln.

Whew.
DOGGY - How about yet another Ding and another big "whew' --- you don't have anything against Tuck being in this mix, do ya??? I'm thinking you don't. Like the rest of us, almost overwhelmed by the embarrassment of riches perhaps?

Fantastic recruiting going on by this staff...........and, to a degree, by the kids of the current squad and the past squads, even if just by virtue of all they have achieved and thier personalities.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
DOGGY - How about yet another Ding and another big "whew' --- you don't have anything against Tuck being in this mix, do ya??? I'm thinking you don't. Like the rest of us, almost overwhelmed by the embarrassment of riches perhaps?

Fantastic recruiting going on by this staff...........and, to a degree, by the kids of the current squad and the past squads, even if just by virtue of all they have achieved and thier personalities.
Dingaling for me forgeting Morgan Tuck. Wow.....it is an embarressment of riches.

Reaction Score
DT may be the best player ever, and even for those who disagree, she is in that conversation. She didn't start as a freshman. Geno doesn't like to start frosh, when he does, it isn't so much that they are so darned good they deserve it, but lack of alternatives. Moriah might turn out to be the best basketball player in the history of the universe, but I predict she won't start early in her frosh year.

Wow! It amazes me that there appears to be a lot of BYs who feel that since coach A has done some things in a certain way, i.e., not starting freshmen, in the past that he will not change his approach to freshmen.

Flash! Flash! Flash! IMO, freshmen today are a whole lot better prepared to play, and start, than they were a decade ago!

Oh, by-the-way, as I recall DT had a few issues that may have contributed to coach A's reluctance to put her in the starting lineup.

Peace,

John Fryer

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Wow! It amazes me that there appears to be a lot of BYs who feel that since coach A has done some things in a certain way, i.e., not starting freshmen, in the past that he will not change his approach to freshmen.

Flash! Flash! Flash! IMO, freshmen today are a whole lot better prepared to play, and start, than they were a decade ago!

Oh, by-the-way, as I recall DT had a few issues that may have contributed to coach A's reluctance to put her in the starting lineup.

Peace,

John Fryer

The only way he does that is if he thinks upper class men are slacking off because they are "entitled." Fortunately, we do not get that type of kid at UConn very often. Geno is very consistent in using approaches that have worked in the past. I expect he will only abandon them when he sees a better alternative and/or necessity. One doesn't mess with successful formulas just for the heck of it. That is the definition of reckless.

As many have said don't worry about who starts worry about who you will have on the floor a crunch time.

Reaction Score

Stability, cohesion, team ball, and respect are the cornerstones of Uconn ball. I don't think freshman will ever start - except in the absence of a loyal, dependable, established upperclassman. And it doesn't really matter who starts - minutes matter a lot more - who starts is partly symbolic, and that's why its given out somewhat as an honor for sustained excellence.

Just my two cents.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Geno had an explanation that I thought summed it up nicely. Moriah was just too young. Young in actual age, but also physically, mentally, and emotionally. She has some growing up to do, but it worth waiting on that maturity because of her talent and competitiveness.

well thats a good way of looking at it, geno knows player development.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Actually Kelly "accounts" for many points with her defense. She defensively starts many fastbreaks. Other get the layups but without Kelly they don't. Same with her rebounding. If she averages 1o or so points and does everything else well, then she is the one.

Totally true, i do take her defense for granted. After Mulk's post game comments yesterday about defensive abilities making way for offensive ooportunities i have to agree that Kelly is crucial to your line up in that sense. Kudos!

Reaction Score
I'll make a prediction.

Tiffany will be the player that sits at the end of a close game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom