Kaleena | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kaleena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Given that Moriah is the highest rated point guard, since forever, to play for UConn.

How is it possible, if she is as advertised, that she doesn't start?

Welcome to the decade of change Coach A.

IMHO, Breanna and Moriah, barring injuries, will both start.

Peace,

John Fryer
Because she will not have any experience in the UConn system yet and Caroline will be here and will be the perfect person to play behind and learn.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Because she will not have any experience in the UConn system yet and Caroline will be here and will be the perfect person to play behind and learn.
Ding Ding Ding.

We only lose Tiffany next year, so the returning starters are Dolson, Faris, Hartley and Doty. My best guess is Lewis joins them and off the bench would be Stewart, Banks, Jefferson, Stokes, Johnson, Buck (if she comes back) and Engeln.

Whew.

Reaction Score

I am not seeking an argument, but, IMO, Caroline is much better suited at the 2 spot.

Peace,

John Fryer

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Ask again after these games.
11/21/11 Stanford
12/18/11 Baylor
01/07/12 Notre Dame
01/30/12 Duke
---------- Big East Upset (Georgetown or Louisville)
02/27/12 Notre Dame
---------- Big East Tournament (Notre Dame probably)
---------- NCAA Tournament

There is no way we lose to Duke or Louisville. Going undefeated in the Big East is unlikely, but I also think we can split the ND series. Georgetown...I don't know, but our gaurds this year are just as quick as theirs and we have a much deeper bench. Banks can run all day with G'town. I think the Stanford game will be interesting, but after seeing their gaurd play against UT I think we can take them if we rebound well against the sisters. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I think this team will just continue to improve and we're looking at 3-4 losses.

Reaction Score
Seriously, I hope you are right and I am wrong.
There is no way we lose to Duke or Louisville. Going undefeated in the Big East is unlikely, but I also think we can split the ND series. Georgetown...I don't know, but our gaurds this year are just as quick as theirs and we have a much deeper bench. Banks can run all day with G'town. I think the Stanford game will be interesting, but after seeing their gaurd play against UT I think we can take them if we rebound well against the sisters. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I think this team will just continue to improve and we're looking at 3-4 losses.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
First let me start by saying Breanna Stewart is the best player in WCBB and she aint here yet. At 6'4 she handles the ball like a guard, and can handle it like a guard on the break, she is a great ballhandler, a very good outside shooter and can shoot on the run, has a wing span of 6'10, is quick and versatile, can use either hand, has great instincts and reactions to the ball, can rebound and finish underneath and is a very good foul shooter. Really Breanna can do everything. She is far beyond her years. Any of you who think Im over the top on that prediction, better watch her videos. I have heard the reports on her since she was in junior high. One parent told me she was better then Kia Vaughn, Tina Charles and Danielle Wilson. Shes better then anything we've seen in WCBB...ever and when she arrives next season, you can bet that . Now back to this year.

Watching last night we really got it going with our defense. We've done that the past few seasons. To answer the question who will replace Maya. Well with the improvement of so many players and with a bench that can score everybody will replace Maya in some way or form, it wont be one individual player. Caroline is the leader of this team and must stay healthly. I believe she will be rested when UConn is in a blow out only because she is coming back and we need her 100% late in the season. I am so happy to see MJ Heather and Lauren play so well. We are very good from 1 to the last player on the bench. Stef is almost automatic as is KML and Caroline and Bria is a very good scorer. KML is instant offense off the bench along with great rebounding and passing skills. KML may be the best shooter Ive ever seen.

So who starts for who? Good question. It even becomes more difficult the next 3 seasons. I will let Geno make that decision.

Againest Baylor we may need more height but then again we may need more outside shooters to open things up. There is no doubt in my mind that Stef can score againest Griner and that Stef /Kiah / Heather can keep Griner away from the basket. Our defensive pressure is something I want to see Baylor handle .

Againest Stanford I see the O sisters as their top scorers. Is there anybody else who can put up big numbers for Stanford, or will they look to the O sisters to handle most of the scoring? Im sure Geno has a defensive plan to key on the O's. I think the O sisters will have to score from 10+ ft out before they can go inside. If there is a mismatch with height in comes Kiah/Heather. What is really nice this season is we dont lose anything with our outside shooters because we have so many and opponets will have to play perimiter defense to stop us which will open up the middle. I dont know how good Stanfords perimiter defense is but I do know they havent replaced Polen and Pederson.

Againest TAM I think we have a battle, a battle of defenses. I think TAM is underrated and better then most think. With that said Stef is better then Bone and our guards will handle TAMs pressure better then most teams. How do they counter our guards will be the difference.

Weve seen two teams the past 2 games. The one last night showed that they are over the first game jitters. Monday night UConn will surprise WCBB.... because without Maya just like in the past without Renee, and without Tina this UConn team can flat out play.

I think it is necessary to correct TonyC here...recently I read that Breanna Stewart's wing-span has been updated to 7'1"...I'm just sayin' With regards to Monday night's game I think the answer is to keep constant pressure on Stanford's guards. Make it difficult for them to get the ball inside to the "O" sisters. Limit their touches while maximizing offensive shots on the other end. When a team is shooting 71 percent for a game it makes sense to take a lot of shots. Of course, they won't shoot 71 percent against Stanford, but they are a high scoring team and the question for Stanford will be can they put up 75 points agains UConn. If the "O" sisters are allowed to get a lot of touches the answer is yes. But most of Stanford's offense goes through them...so limiting their touches is crucial. I also think trapping the guards will yield good results as they are young at that position.

With regards to who starts...I like KML coming off the bench...it doesn't make much difference if she continues to get the most minutes and the way she is shooting it is certain that she will. It is often said it doesn't matter who starts as much as who is on the floor at the end of a close game. Who is there at crunch time is what matters...

Sure, UConn is young, sure like CD says we are looking for our identity, sure we are going to miss Maya...but lets look at our opposition... They have to worry about what they are going to do to contain KML, Stefanie, Doty, Tiffany, Kelly and Bria...that is a lot to handle... Our bench players Brianna, Heather, Kiah, Michala, Lauren are not chopped liver either... We will continue to get better and better...does anybody really look forward to playing UConn in March? I don't think so... Keep in mind Stanford lost Poulin and Pedersen. They were totally lost last year those two games they had to play when Pedersen was injured. And, I can't tell you how it hurt when Poulin hit those dagger threes... I think Stanford has their hands full adjusting to their losses as much if not more than we do. Finally, there is the home court. We have the home court advantage...so let's get out there and lets get crazy... Go UCONN!!!!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
IMHO Bria doesn't have the personality to come off the bench. While Kelly provides more intangibles then Bria, I think she would be more receptive to coming off the bench to provide the spark the team needs and do whatever the team needs.

While she may be more suited mentally (I don't have an opinion), it's much better for UConn if Kelly starts. We don't need more offense, but we can always use more defense, rebounding, hustle, pressure etc. If Kelly's on the bench, we give up too much to get more offensive firepower in the game.

I'd start Kelly over either Briah, KML OR Tiff. In terms of importance, imo, the most important starters are Steph then Doty/Faris (for diff reasons), then the trio of Tiff/KML/Briah, with Tiff probably leading that pack.

Reaction Score
Geno disagrees.

True. But will he continue to disagree once he sees Moriah play?

The proof of her potential will be acted out on the court.

IMO, Caroline is much more effective at the 2 spot.

Peace,

John Fryer

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Given that Moriah is the highest rated point guard, since forever, to play for UConn.

Welcome to the decade of change Coach A.

IMHO, Breanna and Moriah, barring injuries, will both start.

Peace,

John Fryer
Moriah will get lots of PT and learn from Grandma Doty. She'll get the keys to the car the following year.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Caroline's effectiveness at this point in her career is her leadership which is best empowered at the point runnng the team. The better organizing of the offense since she returned to the lineup is the example of what she brings and why she belongs at the point. It is where she can best exert her will on the game. She is now stronger at the point than the 2 for these reasons.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

DT may be the best player ever, and even for those who disagree, she is in that conversation. She didn't start as a freshman. Geno doesn't like to start frosh, when he does, it isn't so much that they are so darned good they deserve it, but lack of alternatives. Moriah might turn out to be the best basketball player in the history of the universe, but I predict she won't start early in her frosh year.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Plus, she might need to bulk up a bit...in high school she can take it to the hoop and absorb contact well, but she is pretty slight and might not be able to get away with that in college.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Couple of posts sound like people would be surprised if Huskies prevail Monday.

I highly doubt anyone will be surprised by a UConn victory. I wouldn't be surprised the other way, either.

Regarding chatter about starters: Don't know if Geno would/could go this way, but with this team and so much talent, I would be very inclined to change starting line-ups a lot on the basis of match-ups. And I don't buy any argument that changing line-ups would hurt flow/chemistry. In time -- by tournament time -- they'll all find ways to play together in any combination ... or find themselves sitting.

BTW, I've been impressed by Lauren in these first two games. Not that I expect her to be a starter, but she absolutely in very talented and she's hustling and seems more comfortable than last year. Also, it seems to me she's slimmed down, too, like Stef (and apparently, from reports, Kaleena) and is quicker, more mobile.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
While she may be more suited mentally (I don't have an opinion), it's much better for UConn if Kelly starts. We don't need more offense, but we can always use more defense, rebounding, hustle, pressure etc. If Kelly's on the bench, we give up too much to get more offensive firepower in the game.

I'd start Kelly over either Briah, KML OR Tiff. In terms of importance, imo, the most important starters are Steph then Doty/Faris (for diff reasons), then the trio of Tiff/KML/Briah, with Tiff probably leading that pack.
There is no way on God's green earth that Geno is going to sit a senior that's been valuable enough and productive enough to start for 3 years. Ain't gonna happen no way, no how.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Regarding chatter about starters: Don't know if Geno would/could go this way, but with this team and so much talent, I would be very inclined to change starting line-ups a lot on the basis of match-ups. And I don't buy any argument that changing line-ups would hurt flow/chemistry. In time -- by tournament time -- they'll all find ways to play together in any combination ... or find themselves sitting.

BTW, I've been impressed by Lauren in these first two games. Not that I expect her to be a starter, but she absolutely in very talented and she's hustling and seems more comfortable than last year. Also, it seems to me she's slimmed down, too, like Stef (and apparently, from reports, Kaleena) and is quicker, more mobile.
Good points. To piggy back your thoughts, I was immediately struck looking at the post game photos on UConn's website by the incredible muscular tone of every single player, in every single pic. There isn't a player on the squad that doesn't appear to be in mid-season form! We've always had a strength and conditioning program second to none, but it seems it's improving still. Now, adding all that superior conditioning to the fullest stable of quality guards and wings I can ever remember us having at one time, we're literally gonna run most teams into the hardwood with wave after wave of talent. I bet conditioning alone wins at least a dozen games.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
There is no way on God's green earth that Geno is going to sit a senior that's been valuable enough and productive enough to start for 3 years. Ain't gonna happen no way, no how.

I agree. I wasn't saying Geno would or should sit Tiff. I was just discussing in terms actual importance on the floor; Faris provides something that Tiff/KML/Briah don't (or at least not to the same extent). Replacing Faris is harder than replacing any of those three. She adds a different sort of value that you cannot take out of the starting lineup. I only threw Tiff in there to emphasize Kelly's (different) value on the court.

My point was, if I was forced to pick between two players to start, and I was given a choice between only Tiff or Faris, I personally would choose Faris because of the unique things she brings to the table. Whereas, there is a little more overlap between Briah, KML, and Tiff (though they certainly aren't the same players).

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
I believe it is the 98, but they explicitly said she graded out higher than any other PG for as long as they have been doing this.
reading this just got me thinking...then what in the world happens in the USA try outs, i can't understand why she wouldnt make a single team.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
sit farris, does she even attempt to score? she can come in if there's someone who is failling to guard an opposing player.

just a thought for topic.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
reading this just got me thinking...then what in the world happens in the USA try outs, i can't understand why she wouldnt make a single team.

For one thing I believe she was considerably younger than everyone on the team except Breanna. She was trying out for the U19 team.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
DT may be the best player ever, and even for those who disagree, she is in that conversation. She didn't start as a freshman. Geno doesn't like to start frosh, when he does, it isn't so much that they are so darned good they deserve it, but lack of alternatives. Moriah might turn out to be the best basketball player in the history of the universe, but I predict she won't start early in her frosh year.

Yup. Maya wasn't starting either until KG/Mel got hurt. In addition to the freshman thing, I think he really likes to bring a super potent weapon off the bench. UConn then gets the advantage against the other team's 2nd wave of players, or forces the other team to play their starters longer to keep up (thereby tiring them).

This is why I see KML coming off the pine, unless maybe we are playing a bigger team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some said Alexis Jones performed better. USA Basketball, which inexplicably had not picked Moriah the prior year, passed on her again. They chose more senior players, I believe Hartley and Massengale. Jones made it but played little.

In discussing the 2012 recruits, Geno said that she was not chosen because she was a little immature--chronologically, emotionally, and physically. In terms of talent and performance, he loves her. She'll be fine. If you have not seen them, track down the videos of her. Very, very impressive!

Reaction Score
Ding Ding Ding.

We only lose Tiffany next year, so the returning starters are Dolson, Faris, Hartley and Doty. My best guess is Lewis joins them and off the bench would be Stewart, Banks, Jefferson, Stokes, Johnson, Buck (if she comes back) and Engeln.

Whew.

How do you not start Breanna Stewart? I think Bria Hartley sits with KML at the 3, Breanna at the 4, Stef at the 5, Kelly at the 2, and Caroline at the 1.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
How do you not start Breanna Stewart? I think Bria Hartley sits with KML at the 3, Breanna at the 4, Stef at the 5, Kelly at the 2, and Caroline at the 1.
Easy. Same way they didn't start DT, Maya, etc. Bring her in at the first tv break and watch as the Death Grip grows ever tighter. Plus, Geno is on record as saying he likes to have his young players watching the games.... as long as they know what they're watching. It was a luxury he didn't have last year with Bria and Stef.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom