Just plain terrible. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Just plain terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
One thing about Ollie is that his rotations always seem messed up, without rhyme or reason.But then you look at the score and he is only down a couple of points against better teams with a few seconds to go. I stopped trying to figure it out. We have no Boat and no Bazz. Someone will have to step up.
We lost to two Sweet Sixteen teams and a Final Four possible team. And we were within three points in the last minutes. Cheer up.

C

Chief00

The frontcourt coaching is becoming a concern. We used to be able to count on raw, unheralded bigs developing over their 4 years here. Are Nolan, Facey, and Brimah significantly better than they were when they got here?

"Becoming a concern " - the Bigs under Coach Miller never improve and they just aren't strong enough. Clyde used to have a Bigs huddle sometimes at the end of timeouts - I never see Miller establishing that in game connection with the Bigs. I am not sold on the strength coach either - this ain't gymnastics - we need some really strong dudes inside.
I basically agree with Fishy with one exception - I think Enoch has more upside than the other two (Nolan and Brimah) - one play he failed to help and KO pulled him - but overall I would start him.
Purvis starts too slowly so I would bring him off bench and start Adams. He also needs to shoot 300 foul shots a day.

Fishy was right when some guy wondered where we would play Stone - if we got him - we would find a place !

Even last year's team made stops - this year we can't do it - difference is no Boat on the ball. Gibbs can't or won't stay in front of the ball.

Brimah needs to stop blocking the ball out of bounds so much -when you do that there is 100% chance the other team will get the ball back.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It's like I can see Ollie descending from "God status" among our fans before my eyes, and now he is becoming human, like almost all coaches are, and should be (unless its an all time great). I love Ollie, but before this game I think it was near impossible to say anything even remotely negative about him or his game plan. I think this will be a good thing long run for the team.

Reaction Score
One thing about Ollie is that his rotations always seems messed up, without rhyme or reason.But then you look at the score and he is only down a couple of points against better teams with a few seconds to go. I stopped trying to figure it out. We have no Boat and no Bazz. Someone will have to step up.
We lost to two Sweet Sixteen teams and a Final Four possible team. And we were within three points in the last minutes. Cheer up.
Lol, no. Syracuse is not very good, and it remains to be seen if the Zags are worth their ranking (probably not).

UConn has played three P-5 teams, and three things have remained consistent: they can't defend, they keep getting down double figures, and they're getting hosed by the officials. All of that makes you question the performance of the head coach.

And I didn't even mention the garbage rotations...

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It's like I can see Ollie descending from "God status" among our fans before my eyes, and now he is becoming human, like almost all coaches are, and should be (unless its an all time great). I love Ollie, but before this game I think it was near impossible to say anything even remotely negative about him or his game plan. I think this will be a good thing long run for the team.

This is what happens when you a) lose the greatest basketball coach of all time and b) have his replacement perform much, much better than anyone expected in his seasons.

Reaction Score
Fishy was right when some guy wondered where we would play Stone - if we got him - we would find a place !

Brimah is in that horrible no-man's land where he's too established to openly recruit over, possibly scaring away recruits at his position, but he clearly not good enough to perform against top competition (including those we could have recruited over him for).

Reaction Score
First game that i've ever left early.. literally in WELL over a decade. This team is just flat out mind boggling... no words. Just disappointment.

Reaction Score
This guy wouldn't improve his offensive game if he lived with Pete Newell and his staff every summer. What are you guys watching. If he was any good at all on offense and even if Coach Miller does suck he'd be better for he fact he's played 2 1/2 years - he's not. It's not coaching he's no good on that end because he retains zero and has no natural instincts except blocking shots. It's the sam thing on both ends, either block a shot or get beat on a pick and roll, or late to help. The offense isn't as good!

He's not getting better and it's not on the staff. Purvis is better, Hamilton is better, Facey is even better, Enoch will be better. He is what he is accept it because it's not getting better. Keep hammering Gibbs!

Reaction Score
Brimah is in that horrible no-man's land where he's too established to openly recruit over, possibly scaring away recruits at his position, but he clearly not good enough to perform against top competition (including those we could have recruited over him for).

A really good player will not be scared rather think it would be inviting. Stone certainly wasn't.

Reaction Score
sadly the boneyard has become my depression therapy group. someone to share in my sorrows and frustrations. even got my wife pissed off at me now ..and I'll blame that on the ref and Ollie's puzzling substitution patterns too

C

Chief00

This guy wouldn't improve his offensive game if he lived with Pete Newell and his staff every summer. What are you guys watching. If he was any good at all on offense and even if Coach Miller does suck he'd be better for he fact he's played 2 1/2 years - he's not. It's not coaching he's no good on that end because he retains zero and has no natural instincts except blocking shots. It's the sam thing on both ends, either block a shot or get beat on a pick and roll, or late to help. The offense isn't as good!

He's not getting better and it's not on the staff. Purvis is better, Hamilton is better, Facey is even better, Enoch will be better. He is what he is accept it because it's not getting better. Keep hammering Gibbs!

If he is not the answer - start Enoch.

Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
This guy wouldn't improve his offensive game if he lived with Pete Newell and his staff every summer. What are you guys watching. If he was any good at all on offense and even if Coach Miller does suck he'd be better for he fact he's played 2 1/2 years - he's not. It's not coaching he's no good on that end because he retains zero and has no natural instincts except blocking shots. It's the sam thing on both ends, either block a shot or get beat on a pick and roll, or late to help. The offense isn't as good! He's not getting better and it's not on the staff. Purvis is better, Hamilton is better, Facey is even better, Enoch will be better. He is what he is accept it because it's not getting better. Keep hammering Gibbs!

Have you been watching Gibbs?

Reaction Score
If he is not the answer - start Enoch.

I would agree but he was slow to respond on help and didn't get near an offensive rebound either. We need help down there and as Fishy said, Brimah stepping up is our hope but not stepping us is killing our expectations for this team.

Reaction Score
Have you been watching Gibbs?

Yep I said he was awful first 5 minutes, didn't guard too many people but no the only one there. But overall not bad, not our worst player on the court tonight that's for sure.

Reaction Score
I don't know what Kevin Ollie is doing right now.

1) He insists on putting Nolan, Cassell and Calhoun on the court....at the same time. I'd love to see the +/- numbers there. It takes our offense long enough to get into the swing of things and it just completely derails when he's off on his bizarre rotation binges.

2) He's been a statue for three years and he gets a technical foul now?! Oh, my lord. What in the holy f--- was he thinking?

He managed to have get his first two teams to play well over their heads - gotta get back to whatever magic dust he was sprinkling on those teams.

On the front court....jesus. It just hasn't gotten any better. Everyone wearing a suit on our bench is to blame there. I'm on Team Chief - bring back Clyde or anyone who can convince one of these kids to actually rebound. It's full-blown coaching malpractice at this stage.

Amida was scared of Stone before the game started. He's really fired up to swat low-major shots, but he's plain intimidated against better competition - it's way too predictable these days. Given that Nolan and Enoch are not really options, we desperately need Brimah to play to his potential.

So, to recap, we played on half of basketball. Fourth straight game going down double-digits. We were outscored from the free throw line by 14 and out rebounded by about 25. We still managed to get within 3 before the head coach emerged from his coma and depth-charged the rally.

And we lose by ten.

Someone try to defend that performance.
The substitutions were horrible...we had an awful ugly line up out there in the first half.. We need continuity..We need core guys to make it their game. Its not an effort thing so quit subbing every 2 minutes. Pick 7/8 guys and live die with the. We have talent.

Reaction Score
This has been our offense for ollies entire tenure. No off the ball movement. Barely any ball movement. Doesn't seem like we ever run any sets. Just stand around until eventually someone goes one on one.

As others pointed out bazz saved us so many times. How many times did he drain crazy deep threes at the end of the shot clock? That's not good offense. And if you don't have a guy like that (we don't and most teams don't) then you're screwed running whatever offense it is we run.

How many open shots did we get tonight? How many easy buckets do we get on offense? It's all individual skill or one on one ball.

At least Ollie's past teams played defense. This team can't defend either. The coaching staff deserves every bit of criticism it's getting.

We don't come ready to play. We don't play defense. And we don't run any offense. And player development has basically been non existent. The players deserve some blame but the coaching staff, prticulary the Head Basketball Coach need to start doing their jobs.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Nothing really shocks me as much with this team as Gibbs's underperformance. First time seeing him in person and he just doesn't look calibrated for this team imo.

Put me firmly in the Jalen gets most of the PG minutes camp. Not sure if he's ready but he will grow up quick. I'm not sanguine that things will improve if Gibbs keeps running the point.

Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
Yep I said he was awful first 5 minutes, didn't guard too many people but no the only one there. But overall not bad, not our worst player on the court tonight that's for sure.

We need a fifth-year senior lead guard to be more than a 3 and D guy without the D.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
2) He's been a statue for three years and he gets a technical foul now?! Oh, my lord. What in the holy f--- was he thinking?
Did you actually watch the Louisville game at Gampel?

Great hot takes though.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
I was at the game and I really felt like Ollie was struggling in that 1st half along with our players. His subs were odd and our lack of D again was unacceptable. It was open season on our perimeter D and we had no answer or adjustment the whole game.

Just too easy for the Terps and when we finally were able to get some stops it was too little too late. This team doesn't play UConn D and we have the capability to do so...we are all waiting for it to come together but why we continue to no-show for a solid half vs every good opponent is still a mystery...

Reaction Score

What is all this piling on AB when he plays a half decent game. I know he didn't score but when has UCONN really had a big man that has scored. I guess maybe JA/HT days. The problem we lost this game is our guards. If SG/RP/JA play half decent we have a real chance to win it. They all plays pretty subpar and of course we lost. We will live and die by our guard play all year long.

Reaction Score
What is all this piling on AB when he plays a half decent game. I know he didn't score but when has UCONN really had a big man that has scored. I guess maybe JA/HT days. The problem we lost this game is our guards. If SG/RP/JA play half decent we have a real chance to win it. They all plays pretty subpar and of course we lost. We will live and die by our guard play all year long.
You can never expect to win a game when you lose the rebounding battle 45-24.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom