Just plain terrible. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Just plain terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'd rather tailor the team to playing the best players as many minutes as possible and fixing the offensive struggles/limiting opposing fast breaks. I don't think there's a lineup this team can play that wouldn't leave at least 1 exploitable player on the floor defensively anyways.

Totally agree, which lead to my point about not having TWO of the most exploitable players on the floor at the same time as much as possible.

I see where you are going with your point, I'm just not sure that is the answer given the holes it would open up once implemented. I don't have the answer mind you.

I guess it depends what you want to emphasize. Defense and stops would be my vote. Outside of made shots, good defense of opponents' transition is a direct result of having better offensive rebounding, which is why I'd want a front court that included Hamilton, Miller and another big. Doesn't seem that going small would help.

Furthermore, we are getting killed in transition on the other end too. We have no transition game ourselves right now (zero transition points 1st half last game). Which comes from getting stops. Hence why I want my best defensive lineup on the floor.

Agree on best players playing, I'm just not sure Gibbs is that guy (yet). The only thing he offers (right now) is 3pt shooting. I'd take Amida and Miller in the lineup at the expense of Gibbs for now.

JMO, not saying I'm right.

Reaction Score
Totally agree, which lead to my point about not having TWO of the most exploitable players on the floor at the same time as much as possible.

I see where you are going with your point, I'm just not sure that is the answer given the holes it would open up once implemented. I don't have the answer mind you.

I guess it depends what you want to emphasize. Defense and stops would be my vote. Outside of made shots, good defense of opponents' transition is a direct result of having better offensive rebounding, which is why I'd want a front court that included Hamilton, Miller and another big. Doesn't seem that going small would help.

Furthermore, we are getting killed in transition on the other end too. We have no transition game ourselves right now (zero transition points 1st half last game). Which comes from getting stops. Hence why I want my best defensive lineup on the floor.

Agree on best players playing, I'm just not sure Gibbs is that guy (yet). The only thing he offers (right now) is 3pt shooting. I'd take Amida and Miller in the lineup at the expense of Gibbs for now.

JMO, not saying I'm right.

I'm just hoping some early buckets would energize the team more to play some defense no matter who's out there. I'm not a fan of Brimah, for the usual reasons. Lack of IQ, soft on both ends, can't score, and doesn't do anything well defensively outside of blocking shots. I also think DHam would look better defensively as a stretch 4 where he's not guarding as many small quick guards.

Only way to really know is if Ollie plays either lineup, I'm in favor of him trying both if it means we don't have to keep seeing what we already know doesn't work. Biggest thing is that he just needs to realize Gibbs isn't a PG and have the balls to move him off ball or bench him in favor of Adams.

C

Chief00

First Night has nothing to do with it. Be quiet, you.

Quite frankly, and it's a big quite frankly - it has everything to do with the team culture that has developed - Where are the hard core bad a_ ss dudes who will reach down your throat to get a stop on defense. Playing nice/nice. (an expression an old coach uses) with girls isn't consistent with the UConn Men's culture that made us an elite program. The UConn woman may actually be more talented than the Beltway Ballers but playing them represented a will to do whatever it took to win (in that case payback for Rudy).
Some worried who would replace Boat's points when the bigger concern was who would replace his stops.

As for Bigs - Fishy said it all in his opening post in this thread!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Buddy, watcha doing on the basketball thread? But 76 he has a point. I want to see some emotion from KO early. Yeah the refs sucked but we can't continue to come out flat. Waiting for the TV timeouts in this occasion didn't pan out. Seems to me guys play in the first half matched the personality of the coach.

I understand the theory of getting a T early. Seems to me most coaches, in reality, get them toward the end of the game. UConn coaches anyway. I agree KO should be calling a TO earlier and with more intensity.
But KO didn't plan that T. He lost it on a bad call at a crucial time. Amazed all these UConn fans never saw that before.

Reaction Score
Buddy, watcha doing on the basketball thread? But 76 he has a point. I want to see some emotion from KO early. Yeah the refs sucked but we can't continue to come out flat. Waiting for the TV timeouts in this occasion didn't pan out. Seems to me guys play in the first half matched the personality of the coach.
I'm not criticizing KO. I think he got caught up in the moment, but I do think he can get more passionate in the first half sometimes. As far as my being on this thread, I suspect I was going to UConn basketball games at the Field House before your were born!

Reaction Score
I'm not criticizing KO. I think he got caught up in the moment, but I do think he can get more passionate in the first half sometimes. As far as my being on this thread, I suspect I was going to UConn basketball games at the Field House before your were born!
Maybe Buddy but I turn 50 Dec 31st

Reaction Score
I understand the theory of getting a T early. Seems to me most coaches, in reality, get them toward the end of the game. UConn coaches anyway. I agree KO should be calling a TO earlier and with more intensity.
But KO didn't plan that T. He lost it on a bad call at a crucial time. Amazed all these UConn fans never saw that before.

I have. HCJC would get them all the time. At anytime. Perno used to get them but I think he just hated playing in the field house.

Reaction Score
I don't know what Kevin Ollie is doing right now.

1) He insists on putting Nolan, Cassell and Calhoun on the court....at the same time. I'd love to see the +/- numbers there. It takes our offense long enough to get into the swing of things and it just completely derails when he's off on his bizarre rotation binges.

2) He's been a statue for three years and he gets a technical foul now?! Oh, my lord. What in the holy f--- was he thinking?

He managed to have get his first two teams to play well over their heads - gotta get back to whatever magic dust he was sprinkling on those teams.

On the front court....jesus. It just hasn't gotten any better. Everyone wearing a suit on our bench is to blame there. I'm on Team Chief - bring back Clyde or anyone who can convince one of these kids to actually rebound. It's full-blown coaching malpractice at this stage.

Amida was scared of Stone before the game started. He's really fired up to swat low-major shots, but he's plain intimidated against better competition - it's way too predictable these days. Given that Nolan and Enoch are not really options, we desperately need Brimah to play to his potential.

So, to recap, we played on half of basketball. Fourth straight game going down double-digits. We were outscored from the free throw line by 14 and out rebounded by about 25. We still managed to get within 3 before the head coach emerged from his coma and depth-charged the rally.

And we lose by ten.

Someone try to defend that performance.
I pitty you. I pitty all the DB's who liked your post.

Reaction Score
Maybe Buddy but I turn 50 Dec 31st
So I will have to say that you were in kindergarten when I was at UConn. And we have something in common! Let's hope the Huskies give us an early birthday present on Dec 29, and I'm relieved that there is no game this year on the 31st. Take care.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, and it's a big quite frankly - it has everything to do with the team culture that has developed - Where are the hard core bad a_ ss dudes who will reach down your throat to get a stop on defense. Playing nice/nice. (an expression an old coach uses) with girls isn't consistent with the UConn Men's culture that made us an elite program. The UConn woman may actually be more talented than the Beltway Ballers but playing them represented a will to do whatever it took to win (in that case payback for Rudy).
Some worried who would replace Boat's points when the bigger concern was who would replace his stops.

This is the greatest hot take of all-time.

Reaction Score

It is coming next year: LOVE this kid on D. He is a bad a**.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom