Jose Iglesias | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jose Iglesias

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think the Sox got a little desperate and I'm not a big fan of Peavy. He hasn't been healthy 3 of the last 4 years and pitching in late fall in the Northeast is a lot different than San Diego in August. I think Chicago sold high on him and got potentially got a very good SS out of it.

Additionally....

1) The Sox banked on Middlebrooks being ready and that hasn't worked out as planned.
2) The Sox kept Bradley up to start the season, lost some contract fluff and timing and that hasn't worked out as planned.
3) Here, they now hope Bogaerts will be MLB ready very soon on a contending team. We'll see how it turns out.

Chicago didnt get a SS

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think the Sox got a little desperate and I'm not a big fan of Peavy....
Additionally....

1) The Sox banked on Middlebrooks being ready and that hasn't worked out as planned.
2) The Sox kept Bradley up to start the season, lost some contract fluff and timing and that hasn't worked out as planned.
3) Here, they now hope Bogaerts will be MLB ready very soon on a contending team. We'll see how it turns out.

Yet, somehow they are just 1 game off from having the best record in MLB. Bunch of screw-ups.

Reaction Score
Iglesias will have a good career, but with middlebrooks, Bogaerts, and Checchini, there was not going to be much room for him long term in Boston. Trade makes sense for al involved. Not so sure they will throw Bogaerts into the pnnant race, would not be surprised if they picked up Michael Young today, or in August.

Reaction Score
And I don't get point 2. The plan all along was for Bradley to play AAA. He had a great spring and forced his way on to the team. And if he played well enough to stay they would have lost a year. But he struggled and was sent down and they didnt lose the service time. Hopefully the year in AAA will help.

Reaction Score
My eyes may have been failing me but they don;t give up a slick fielding, .300 hitting SS/INF for Jake Peavy unless they think I'm closer to correct than you!! ;)
I don't like the trade. I had visions of Iglesias out at shortstop for the next 10 years or more. He is one of the best fielding shortstops in a long while and I think he will learn to hit enough to stay in the lineup. Bogaerts is going to be a great hitter but he is not know for his defense. Peavy's best years are behind him. The trade tells me that Buchholtz is not going to pitch this year. I would have been willing to forgo the playoffs this year and let guys like Workman and Britton get some experience.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think the Sox got a little desperate and I'm not a big fan of Peavy. He hasn't been healthy 3 of the last 4 years and pitching in late fall in the Northeast is a lot different than San Diego in August. I think Chicago sold high on him and got potentially got a very good SS out of it.

Additionally....

I believe when Bradley was sent back down in April, he spent sufficient time in the minors prior to his second call up, in order not to trigger his first FA year until after 2019. All indications is that Bogaerts has slightly less in the fielding dept. but is still above average and he hits better, making him a better all-around prospect.

As a Sox fan, I love the deal...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't like the trade. I had visions of Iglesias out at shortstop for the next 10 years or more. He is one of the best fielding shortstops in a long while and I think he will learn to hit enough to stay in the lineup. Bogaerts is going to be a great hitter but he is not know for his defense. Peavy's best years are behind him. The trade tells me that Buchholtz is not going to pitch this year. I would have been willing to forgo the playoffs this year and let guys like Workman and Britton get some experience.

Not according to the Pawtucket Red Sox Play by Play announcer...

Reaction Score

Additionally....

I do not get the point of this? Also, the White Sox didnt get Inglesias.

Additionally, do you think Peavy only pitched at home during the fall while in SD? Or how about his last three years in Chicago? If you look up his stats it will show that he has been very solid in Sept and Oct and in April while in Chicago.

I am not saying it is a great move, but the only valid point you made in the whole post was his injury history.

Reaction Score
Okay thats the impression I got.

Do you think Bogaerts is a better bet than Inglesias? Oh yeah of course because that's who they kept........:D

Inglesias can flat out throw the leather around and really has the best hands I've seen in ages. His hitting looked to be better although very little pop......but he was a keeper I thought in a solid lineup where he could hide!

Reaction Score
Do you think Bogaerts is a better bet than Inglesias? Oh yeah of course because that's who they kept........:D

Inglesias can flat out throw the leather around and really has the best hands I've seen in ages. His hitting looked to be better although very little pop......but he was a keeper I thought in a solid lineup where he could hide!

Who knows who will end being better but Bogaerts was and is a more highly rated prospect.

Entering 2013, Bogaerts ranked 20th in the MLB.com Top 100 Prospects list,[4] and 8th in the Baseball America Top 100 Prospects list.

Entering 2013, Iglesias is ranked as the 10th best prospect in the Red Sox organization[7] and ranks 96th in the MLB.com Top 100 Prospects list.[8

Reaction Score

I know this is your thing too. But if you could make he deal for Peavy and you could keep Bogaerts or Iglesias who would you keep?

And listening to Boston radio today I would say the majority of fans want to drive the bus over Cherrington.

Reaction Score
I know this is your thing too. But if you could make he deal for Peavy and you could keep Bogaerts or Iglesias who would you keep?

And listening to Boston radio today I would say the majority of fans want to drive the bus over Cherrington.

Not sure what "my thing is" but if I were the Sox I would have traded Bogaerts for Cliff Lee and then I would have a stopper, not another 4.29 ERA guy ................

But I could care less what they do honestly and if you guys are happy I'm happy :D

Reaction Score
I do not get the point of this? Also, the White Sox didnt get Inglesias.

Additionally, do you think Peavy only pitched at home during the fall while in SD? Or how about his last three years in Chicago? If you look up his stats it will show that he has been very solid in Sept and Oct and in April while in Chicago.

I am not saying it is a great move, but the only valid point you made in the whole post was his injury history.

In 2012, he had 1 CWS home start after Sept 15th.
In 2011, he had 0.
In 2010, he had 0.

In 2012, his post September starts were:

9/5 - Minnesota at home
9/11 - Detroit at home
9/16 - @ Minnesota
9/21 - @ LAA
9/27 - TB at home
10/2 - @ Cleveland

So, in the last 3 years, he's had games @ Minn, TB at home and @ Cleveland once the weather got colder. Mind you, he's a couple years removed from having his shoulder muscle pretty much tear completely away from his shoulder bone. Good luck when it's 40 degrees at first pitch in the playoffs.

Reaction Score
So, in the last 3 years, he's had games @ Minn, TB at home and @ Cleveland once the weather got colder. Mind you, he's a couple years removed from having his shoulder muscle pretty much tear completely away from his shoulder bone. Good luck when it's 40 degrees at first pitch in the playoffs.

I think that's the point though. With him they get to the playoffs. Other narrative emerging is that Buccholz is out indefinitely so they were somewhat forced to make a deal to stay in contention.

That's also what I don't like about it. It seems to be a deal to be competitive, not necessarily to be champions. But if they call up Xander and truly go for it then I think it'll prove to be worth it for at least this year.

Mostly what I think fans miss out on is getting to watch a talented prospect emerge. If they can replace him immediately with an equal or greater talented prospect with better odds to emerge, then of course I'm good.

Reaction Score
In 2012, he had 1 CWS home start after Sept 15th.
In 2011, he had 0.
In 2010, he had 0.

In 2012, his post September starts were:

9/5 - Minnesota at home
9/11 - Detroit at home
9/16 - @ Minnesota
9/21 - @ LAA
9/27 - TB at home
10/2 - @ Cleveland

Thing is he will be pitching in the playoffs. Cant say that for anyone on the Yankees

Reaction Score
Thing is he will be pitching in the playoffs. Cant say that for anyone on the Yankees

You sure about that Jer? I know one ting for sure, a couple games out of the wild card is a heck of a lot better than the Sox were last year so you certainly know about NOT being in the playoffs but don't remember quite what it's like to win anything!!;)

By the way Deep's a Mets fan.....

Reaction Score
You sure about that Jer? I know one ting for sure, a couple games out of the wild card is a heck of a lot better than the Sox were last year so you certainly know about NOT being in the playoffs but don't remember quite what it's like to win anything!!;)

By the way Deep's a Mets fan.....

I do remember last year. I also remember 2004 and 2007. But 2004 was especially nice.

Do you think the Yanks make the playoffs?

Also, Deep being a Mets fan explains his stupidity but does not excuse it. Fung Wah indeed.

Reaction Score
If it were me, I would have done nothing. As much as I like Peavy (and I think he will fit in with the team very well), his best years are behind him and Iglesias' best years are in front of him. My dreams of watching Pedroia and Iglesias play the middle of the infield for the next 10 years are shattered. I could have lived with missing the playoffs this year. The Sox have some very good pitching talent already here (Workman, Britton) and on the way up (Ranaudo, Owens, De La Rosa, Webster and perhaps Uconn's own Barnes). I would be content with someone else making the playoffs as long as it wasn't the Yankees.

Reaction Score
If it were me, I would have done nothing. As much as I like Peavy (and I think he will fit in with the team very well), his best years are behind him and Iglesias' best years are in front of him. My dreams of watching Pedroia and Iglesias play the middle of the infield for the next 10 years are shattered. I could have lived with missing the playoffs this year. The Sox have some very good pitching talent already here (Workman, Britton) and on the way up (Ranaudo, Owens, De La Rosa, Webster and perhaps Uconn's own Barnes). I would be content with someone else making the playoffs as long as it wasn't the Yankees.

I could not disagree with this sentient more. The Sox are in great position this year to win a title, they need SP badly and they made a deal to win help them win the title now. The goal of the team is to win a championship, if you have a chance you go for it. Who knows if in the future they will have this chance again? Maybe its 2006 all over again where injuries decimate the team next year? Maybe one or two is career ending? You never know what will happen in the future that is why you try to win now if you can.

The Sox did not risk the future of this team with the trade. Iglesias is a great great fielder, but he struggles at the plate. With Bogaerts, Middlebrooks, Cecchini and Marrero there was a good choice your dream of watching Pedrioa and Iglesias play the middle of the infield was never going to happen. There had to be an odd man out, it was Iglesias.

Reaction Score
I do remember last year. I also remember 2004 and 2007. But 2004 was especially nice.

Do you think the Yanks make the playoffs?

Also, Deep being a Mets fan explains his stupidity but does not excuse it. Fung Wah indeed.

Maybe I'm a little older because I remember 77, 78, 96, 98, 99, 00, 09..........Bucky Dent, Aaron Boone were especially nice.........

No, I doubt the Yanks make it but the fact they're in it with the issues at hand says a lot........

Reaction Score

Do you actually think Iglesias is a better prospect than Bogaerts? If so, you might the only person on earth.

Iglesias is great with the glove and he was showing a little bit of improvement in the strike zone and in making contact but he still wasn't even a doubles guy let alone HR guy. If Bogaerts wasn't knocking on the door they would have held on to Iglesias, but between Bogaerts, Middlebrooks, Cecchini and Iglesias, there was a squeeze coming up on the left side of the infield in the next 1-2 years. Someone had to go. Of the 4, I would have preferred to send Middlebrooks, but Detroit wanted a SS so they got one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom