Jordan Horston | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Jordan Horston

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
I stand by my statement.

Why double down on being wrong? It's OK to admit a mistake and move on. We all saw what you typed. Claiming you said something different makes no sense.

Reaction Score
Like I said, I wouldn't care if you are anti Holly or anti Tennessee. That is to be expected on this board. That had nothing to do with what I criticized.

I'm from Minnesota and live in California so I'm not from "down there." My allegiance to Tennessee is born from respect for Pat and almost 3 decades of having connections to the University. As for the Pat Robertson comment... That may be a fitting comment for a large number of people in this country but I have two degrees in the science field and work in wildlife and conservation so your stereotype of a Tennessee fan is misguided in this instance, and it gave me a good laugh.

I'm not trying to trade personal jabs about intelligence with anyone. I pointed out how I thought people should be better in their reactions to a teenager picking a school they want to educate themselves and play basketball at. That is all. Perhaps I felt the need to defend her because she was getting negative comments directed at her and there was enough of them to illicit a reaction out of her, her mother and Rickea Jackson. I think that is pretty sad that they would have to do that when they should be celebrating and enjoying the relief of the stressful recruiting process being over.

as far as I can tell the vast majority of BY posters have either wished Ms Horston good luck or in my case simply questioned whether Tennessee was her best choice based on her prior comments...........for me it's more a feeling of wistfulness because we will never be able to see her working with Geno and the coaching staff to develop her God given talents to the fullest..........I believe most of us have put this past us and have moved on...............I would respectfully suggest that you consider doing the same

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
consider who's going to be available in two seasons up front for UConn...ONO, Irwin, Camara and Walker .....we know Irwin's limitations, we have no idea which Camara we are going to see and hopefully ONO will have grown into a skinny but still imposing presence....if Boston is anything close to the player everybody thinks she is(including her work ethic/attitude) I have to think she will see a lot of court time and could absolutely become a starter before too long.....
And, there is no guarantee that Touly will return for her 5th year.

Reaction Score
And, there is no guarantee that Touly will return for her 5th year.

exactly...............without her the starting front court would be ONO, Irwin and Walker with only Boston on the bench.............................I'd hope not for long............

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
exactly.....without her the starting front court would be ONO, Irwin and Walker with only Boston on the bench.........I'd hope not for long..
I wouldn't go quite that far. Gordon, Griffin and Jones (if she comes to Storrs) can all play up front as small forwards. With that said, Boston and ONO would be an intimidating pair together, and my preference for the front court

Reaction Score
exactly.....without her the starting front court would be ONO, Irwin and Walker with only Boston on the bench.........I'd hope not for long..
Charlie, forecast that Irwin will continue to have to fight for minutes. Suspect there is a yet to be determined recruit who will come in under the radar and by game 10-15 grab playing time.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have found the perfect song to explain all of this to you jilted lovers!

Reaction Score
I wouldn't go quite that far. Gordon, Griffin and Jones (if she comes to Storrs) can all play up front as small forwards. With that said, Boston and ONO would be an intimidating pair together, and my preference for the front court

well if Jones and Boston both come that will be an embarrassment of riches but you know I specialize in worst cases scenarios.............even if you want to include LG and AG that's hardly what I'd call an intimidating front court strength........

Reaction Score
While I understand that recruiting can be very emotional for fans, it's shameful that so many posters on here are resorting to attacks and insults towards Coach Warlick, Tennessee, and even Jordan Horston herself. It is purely a case of being a sore loser; be better and more gracious.
I agree on insulting Jordan herself. But we certainly don’t need to lose a recruiting battle to insult Holly and Tennessee :D:D

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Coco:
I noticed that Duke has now gotten commitments from not one, but two 6'+ guard/wings from the Garden State: Azana Baines, the lefty 6'1" slashing guard from Gloucester Catholic (#65 HG) has joined 6'0" guard Jaida Patrick from Saddle River Day (#58) in committing to Duke for the Class of 2019.

If my memory is correct, Ms. Beal is 6'0" tall, as well. Wonder if there's still room for another player of that ilk/size in Durham. That said, Ms. Beal is the much higher-ranked of the three.

Any of our Dookie friends have any thoughts/insights on this?

Word on the street is that Duke is out of scholarships, so unless somebody is getting dumped or the numbers work out somehow.. don't see Beal going there. Maybe @triaddukefan can confirm the numbers?

I have Beal to South Carolina or Michigan.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have found the perfect song to explain all of this to you jilted lovers!

I keep forgetting you recruiting addicts lost your senses of humor about a decade ago! Question: Why are we needlessly lengthening a thread about a kid declared elsewhere, when there is a perfectly good, long used thread for same?

Reaction Score
consider who's going to be available in two seasons up front for UConn...ONO, Irwin, Camara and Walker .....we know Irwin's limitations, we have no idea which Camara we are going to see and hopefully ONO will have grown into a skinny but still imposing presence....if Boston is anything close to the player everybody thinks she is(including her work ethic/attitude) I have to think she will see a lot of court time and could absolutely become a starter before too long.....

I doubt anyone would disagree that Uconn could use another Big-big. I beg the pardon of everyone but as I have seen Irwin I doubt she is ready for "primetime"; I hope I'm wrong. Toubly's limited PT and injury hasn't shown me she has recovered. My friend Rsherm has a different view of Touly and has higher expectations again I hope she fills the bill. ONO, an un-tried, un-tested freshman has awfully LARGE shoes to fill, and higher expectation to live up to, not a great place to be for a frosh. Walker, is a talent, I believe Geno will loosen the reins and let her be Megan
True talent will bubble to the top. I hope.

Reaction Score
Like I said, I wouldn't care if you are anti Holly or anti Tennessee. That is to be expected on this board. That had nothing to do with what I criticized.

I'm from Minnesota and live in California so I'm not from "down there." My allegiance to Tennessee is born from respect for Pat and almost 3 decades of having connections to the University. As for the Pat Robertson comment... That may be a fitting comment for a large number of people in this country but I have two degrees in the science field and work in wildlife and conservation so your stereotype of a Tennessee fan is misguided in this instance, and it gave me a good laugh.

I'm not trying to trade personal jabs about intelligence with anyone. I pointed out how I thought people should be better in their reactions to a teenager picking a school they want to educate themselves and play basketball at. That is all. Perhaps I felt the need to defend her because she was getting negative comments directed at her and there was enough of them to illicit a reaction out of her, her mother and Rickea Jackson. I think that is pretty sad that they would have to do that when they should be celebrating and enjoying the relief of the stressful recruiting process being over.

I like you liking Tenn. I like Uconn beating the U of Tenn. The people of Tenn are great people and even wearing my UCONN T shirt and Hat within view of U T I was always treated with respect. I visit Tenn often. One of JMU's best players came from a tiny town in Tenn, Dawn Evans.
The days of the hick of Tenn are gone. Few still alive remember the hick of Connectiut---I was one of them. Connecticut was considered a ma and pa state. That went away, as it did in the south, after WW2
I probably should love Holly. However, I believe she is a terrible coach and in the shadow of Pat U of T deserves better.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Haven't read through all of the posts...but I must say I have mixed feelings about Horston choosing Tennessee. On one hand, I'm ecstatic that Tennessee is landing such a fantastic player and have high hopes that she'll help shore up some of the current problems on the perimeter (poor 3pt shooting, one on one ball, high turnovers) and am hopeful she could be the player to get Tennessee over the hump and back in the Final Four. There's no question the talent is there with a core of her, Davis, Westbrook and Green for a couple of years.

The negative with this is it further cements Holly's position. Getting Horston is huge for Holly. It gives her a longer leash because if Tennessee is dreadful this year, the argument of, "well look who she has coming in next year" is going to be used. Plus a player like Horston will likely keep Tennessee a top 15-20 team even if coaching will hold Tennessee back from ever being a true title threat. Maybe Holly will prove me wrong, but after 6 (really 7) years of her at the helm and only 1 season of overachievement to show for it, I'm not too optimistic anymore. Every other year it seems like we have the next class that is going to "save the program"....first it was 2011 with Harrison/Massengale/Burdick, then 2013 with Russell and Co, then Deshields transferred in, then it was the loaded 2017 class, now it's Horston and whoever else Holly snags.

All that said, I'm very glad she did not pick Connecticut...you guys are so top heavy already for years to come, I'm happy to see a top recruit venture elsewhere even if I don't think Horston will reach her potential under Holly's tutelage.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
"I loved the other schools," Jordan Horston said. "It made it hard on my decision. But at Tennessee it was a different level. I felt like I was on the team. I could be myself."

Little things like the team having a group prayer before dinner made a big impression.
"We didn't see that everywhere," she said.

"The one thing that she said to me was I want to be with girls that when it gets hard I can go through things with," Malika Horston said.
Said Jordan: "I just felt like the girls on this team, they act like me. I felt like they had the same mind-set as me."

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/spor...o-2-ranked-recruit-jordan-horston/1517189002/

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Haven't read through all of the posts...but I must say I have mixed feelings about Horston choosing Tennessee. On one hand, I'm ecstatic that Tennessee is landing such a fantastic player and have high hopes that she'll help shore up some of the current problems on the perimeter (poor 3pt shooting, one on one ball, high turnovers) and am hopeful she could be the player to get Tennessee over the hump and back in the Final Four. There's no question the talent is there with a core of her, Davis, Westbrook and Green for a couple of years.

The negative with this is it further cements Holly's position. Getting Horston is huge for Holly. It gives her a longer leash because if Tennessee is dreadful this year, the argument of, "well look who she has coming in next year" is going to be used. Plus a player like Horston will likely keep Tennessee a top 15-20 team even if coaching will hold Tennessee back from ever being a true title threat. Maybe Holly will prove me wrong, but after 6 (really 7) years of her at the helm and only 1 season of overachievement to show for it, I'm not too optimistic anymore. Every other year it seems like we have the next class that is going to "save the program"....first it was 2011 with Harrison/Massengale/Burdick, then 2013 with Russell and Co, then Deshields transferred in, then it was the loaded 2017 class, now it's Horston and whoever else Holly snags.

All that said, I'm very glad she did not pick Connecticut...you guys are so top heavy already for years to come, I'm happy to see a top recruit venture elsewhere even if I don't think Horston will reach her potential under Holly's tutelage.

A very tired chestnut. A veritable bromide for UConn ...er...dislikers.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
For those who know, how good is Horston compared to Tennessee's Davis. UT had Davis and Westbrook along with a former number one 6'6" player in Russell and also Nared and DeShields. How much did they accomplish? I wonder if the upcoming team will be as talented and if they will achieve more. Time will tell.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For those who know, how good is Horston compared to Tennessee's Davis.
They are similar players. Davis put up very respectable numbers for Tn last year. 12 PPG, 7.6 Rebounds 32% on 3 ball. If Jordan can replicate those Davis' numbers as a Freshman it will have been a good start for her. I project she will do better on all those numbers and separate herself from Davis in two areas. The coaching will be critical to both areas but more critical to the second. 1) Jordan is a gifted passer, recall that she led U17 team in assist playing the SF/PF position. Davis had 57 assists for the season, I expect Jordan to have that many assist in her first 10 games and maintain that average 5.7 for the entire season. 2) The other area where I expect Jordan to excel is as both the primary wing defender. Simply put she creates havoc on the wing and is capable of leading the break or finishing. That havoc is going to result in two easy baskets per game for herself and two easier basket for her teammates.
My biggest disappointment in Jordan choosing TN is a suspicion that second role (Primary defender) will never materialize for her at TN . Jordan has a DPOY caliber toolset, I'm a defense bigot. At UCONN that tool set would have been fully utilized to change games the same way it was for .....Kalana Greene, Kelly Faris, Moriah Jefferson, Gabby Williams, and Kia Nurse.
Just in case this comes off as another Holly bashing, it is. The supporting evidence: In Holly's time as the TN head coach not a single TN player has made an All SEC defensive team. I will be watching Jordan closely hoping to be pleasantly surprised but it might be a minute.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Little things like the team having a group prayer before dinner made a big impression.

I sure hope that prayer wasn't led by the coaches or was mandatory for the players, because, you know, as a public institution, that would be a violation.

Oh what am I thinking? Everyone knows the Knoxvillians are as pure as the newly fallen snow.

Reaction Score

yes but why couldn't elsewhere be Cleveland State...............:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
You guys will get to see her and team. Next year when the team comes to UConn. So you can see her development.

With holly as coach....won’t be much development

Reaction Score
For those who know, how good is Horston compared to Tennessee's Davis. UT had Davis and Westbrook along with a former number one 6'6" player in Russell and also Nared and DeShields. How much did they accomplish? I wonder if the upcoming team will be as talented and if they will achieve more. Time will tell.

Tennessee did not have Deshields. She left before the arrival of Westbrook, Hayes, Davis and Kushkituah. It was Nared and Russell as seniors with Cheridene Green a JC transfer, Meme Jackson a junior with limited experience and 3 of the freshmen with no experience who played the majority of minutes last season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom