Jordan Horston | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Jordan Horston

Reaction Score
If both Boston and Jones choose not to attend UConn, as you and TitleTown suggest, who is the second player in this recent class who will end up playing in Storrs?

I think he was referring to Williams and Nelson Ododa from last year.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
We should be very nervous ... UCONN sadly isn’t the powerhouse anymore... the tide is turning and UCONN isn’t appealing to many recruits as we thought. I sadly think Williams and Ono may be the last top recruits UCONN signs in Genos era.

Heavy shots at Aubrey Griffin here.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Jordan.

Im a little embarrassed for some of you!!! Tsk Tsk. It’s a teenage girl who made a choice of where SHE wanted to go to school!! Period!! Wish her well and move on without making yourself or the UCONN fan base look like a bunch of spoiled brats!!! And will Im on a roll—stop with the negative attitudes and doom and gloom. We are UCONN. We have GA and staff. WE will be fine!!!!

Yeah, how dare you speculate about the future of UConn women's basketball/recruiting on a forum that specializes in UConn women's basketball/recruiting?

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Rennia Davis as a wing offers the most potential of all the TN talent until Horston comes on board.

As does Evina Westbrook...Sometime in January she got injured...her knee...and was never the same. Due to lack of depth at that position, she played through the pain. She even commented at seasons end that she needed to rest and heal. I recall her scoring somewhere close to 20 points in an SEC game and then after the injury, her scoring, as well as the rest of her game, took a big hit.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
UConn has 1 thing that other teams do not - GENO! As a UConn and Baylor fan, I've always been amazed at how Geno can teach up decent talent. UConn has nothing to worry about as long as Geno is here. The loss of Jordan is not a "team" killer. UConn will be fine without her!

Reaction Score
Heavy shots at Aubrey Griffin here.

more like heavy shots at the entire program................AG suffers from a lack of rankings credibility which is somewhat understandable from those not aware of her considerable talents..............that said a one person class is rarely going to be viewed with great enthusiasm unless that one person is named Maya or Stewie..............I'd say at least wait on the last two recruits to make up their minds before allowing total doom and despair to overtake you......

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The wailing and gnashing of teeth over this is truly amazing!
Ahh must not have been around too long. It's been much worse in the past. In fact this is pretty tame comparatively.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
If both Boston and Jones choose not to attend UConn, as you and TitleTown suggest, who is the second player in this recent class who will end up playing in Storrs?
Okay, sorry, I misinterpreted. But the question remains, if both Boston and Jones head elsewhere, will UConn have a class of one or are there some other player(s) on Geno's radar? Not to cast any more gloom on the situation but when was the last time UConn failed to land a top 10 recruit?

Reaction Score
Congratulations, Jordan Horston. May your career be blessed with many Sweet16s and Elite8s.
Tennessee is a good place to play if you are interested in joining the ranks of Ariel Massengale, Jordan Reynolds et al.

Reaction Score
Ahh must not have been around too long. It's been much worse in the past. In fact this is pretty tame comparatively.

just wait and see the reaction if UConn gets shut out on the other two recruits...................does the Titanic bring anything to mind?

Reaction Score
Congratulations, Jordan Horston. May your career be blessed with many Sweet16s and Elite8s.
Tennessee is a good place to play if you are interested in joining the ranks of Ariel Massengale, Jordan Reynolds et al.

Perhaps like me, JH enjoys the orange and white checkerboard pattern in the Tennessee football field end zones.........

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Maybe she just saw herself stuck behind Walker and Williams for 2 or 3 years. And maybe (????) Jones. Seems like she could have gotten better coaching/improvement at a few schools other than Tennessee. But maybe she sees herself as the person who brings them back to their glory days. Lots of maybes, who knows. Best of luck to her.

My guess is that one of the reasons Jordan Horston did not pick UConn is that she knows Haley Jones is coming aboard. Their skill sets overlap substantiality.

At UConn, Horston would be stuck behind Williams at the 2, and perhaps (my mouth to God's ears) Bueckers as well after next year. Plus, I think that these days her game is better suited to the 3.

I figured it would be easier to respond to @Ralph and @Crossover in one post.

Jordan Horston is an ultra-athletic combo-guard, who, at 6-1, has great handles (though better in transition and with an up-tempo pace than in the halfcourt sets right now). She has an explosive first step and is truly a "pogo stick" leaper. At the 2018 U17 FIBA Women's World Cup, she averaged over 10.1 points, 7.0 rebounds, 5.1 assists, and 3.1 steals for her 7 games (while shooting 57.1 percent from the floor). Notably, her A/TO ratio was 5.1-to-1.0.

Megan Walker is a 6-1 wing who can switch between the two and the three because of her strength, her ability to finish with either hand, and her three-point shooting capabilities (with the "savant skill" - to use one of Rob Clough terms - of a tremendous wingspan).

Christyn Williams is a 5-11 left-handed off-guard. She is a "power guard" - explosive to the rim with a quick first step and great leaping abilities, but is also effective in the mid-range and quite adept at getting hot from three (as she did in the MCDAA game). She is also a great rebounder for her size.

Finally, Haley Jones is a 6-2 forward who can manufacture points outside the point (and is a perimeter threat), but also has really good interior footwork. She is a skilled big forward with versatility in the frontcourt.

TRANSLATION: You could play all four of these players together, with Olivia Nelson-Ododa in the middle. That lineup would be 6-1/5-11/6-1/6-2/6-4. Now, some may argue that is not enough size. But the perimeter size would be unparalleled in women's basketball. And Geno has won titles with 5-9/6-0/6-2/6-2/6-2 (Bird/Taurasi/Cash/Jones/Williams), to use an example. The respective skillsets of Horston/Walker/Williams/Jones/ONO would complement each other very well.

If you reach back in time (and have recruiting services subscriptions), you will read the following evaluation about a player:
Agile, versatile perimeter performer handles and passes in transition; triple-threat creator manufactures and attacks; pro-frame slashes, finishes in traffic, scores vs. contact; court awareness .

This player was Kia Nurse.

Geno Auriemma could have easily make Jordan Horston his primary/secondary playmaker of the future, as he did with Nurse. With Crystal Dangerfield being a senior when Horston will be a freshman, there would only have been one crossover year before Horston could have taken the reins as the primary playmaker (or served as a secondary playmaker if a true PG was recruited in 2020).

Look at what Horston did in a structured system at the 2018 FIBA U17 Women's Basketball World Cup - 10.1 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 5.1 apg, 3.4 spg, while shooting 57.1 percent from the floor and having an A/TO of 5.1-to-1.0. This was much more of a structured system than high school or AAU basketball (not as much as college will be, but still). But look who was coaching Horston at the FIBA U17s - Carla Berube. Surely Coach Berube knows Geno's system, how to maximize talents in terms of shooting/passing/rebounding, how to mold an athletic, uber-talented passer into a primary playmaker, etc.

Which video were you watching? Since when does being FIBA U17 MVP NOT qualify as UCONN material?

I agree, @CocoHusky .

See my above comments for supplemental analysis to your post (and the video you posted).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Okay, sorry, I misinterpreted. But the question remains, if both Boston and Jones head elsewhere, will UConn have a class of one or are there some other player(s) on Geno's radar? Not to cast any more gloom on the situation but when was the last time UConn failed to land a top 10 recruit?
Chong's class.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
more like heavy shots at the entire program......AG suffers from a lack of rankings credibility which is somewhat understandable from those not aware of her considerable talents....that said a one person class is rarely going to be viewed with great enthusiasm unless that one person is named Maya or Stewie....I'd say at least wait on the last two recruits to make up their minds before allowing total doom and despair to overtake you.

I just wouldn't rule out Griffin as a "top recruit". She's ranked 33 by Hoopgurlz. Same as Kia Nurse.

Even if UConn strikes out with the rest of their 2019 targets (I strongly doubt it), I would regard it as an aberration rather than a harbinger of doom.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No disrespect but seeing her video in my opinion wasn’t UCONN material ... felt like I was watching a music video ... the whole production to me is a total turn off. She obviously has talent and game but watching her video made it clear to me she wasn’t UCONN material ... I’m sure Geno saw something different then we did or he would have stopped recruiting her... but now it’s all about twitter social media posting pics in uniforms and pics of home visits with coaches etc.. I truly believe recruits already know beforehand but love the attention they get and all of that. I’m sure many really don’t know... but u can see from the beginning what its all about... but enough with my posts I’m moving on with this topic. Best of luck to her at Tennessee and she chose Tennessee because it’s the right fit for her and no one else, and may she be successful in everything she does.

I have not viewed the video nor will I), but I have read all of the comments here in reference to her reveal this morning. Some very interesting comments to say the least. It was interesting to see the room shift from unbridled optimism before her reveal, to that of down right sarcasm. The Boneyard is a tough crowd.

It appears to some since the reveal that Horston is not necessarily UConn material today as she was yesterday, so her decision to attend Tennessee is not the end of the world. It was not meant to be, similar to the other recruits they've lost over the years. UConn can now turn its attention to the other recruits on its wish list.

Congratulations to Tennessee. They got a top five, 5 star player with lots of potential. Let's see how much of it Holly and her staff are able to develop. I hope she gets lots of minutes in the UConn/Tennessee game next year. I don't think that will be just another game to her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I just wouldn't rule out Griffin as a "top recruit". She's ranked 33 by Hoopgurlz. Same as Kia Nurse.

Even if UConn strikes out with the rest of their 2019 targets (I strongly doubt it), I would regard it as an aberration rather than a harbinger of doom.

I think she may be one little click below a top 5 like Jones or Horston but my hope is that she will prove to be a big part of the team going forward..............if you've read any of my posts I've been pretty negative on UConn's chances with the three specific recruits for quite some time..........so much competition for a west coast kid with smarts who can live quite nicely staying home, join the momentum parade at ND or do what so many other greats have done and head to Storrs........she's just impossible to read .............Boston has had a clear path to the starting job at UConn for soooooo long that you would think she'd jump on it but instead she's done the tour and we all assume it's coming down to ND and UConn..............it will be a short term loss for UConn if they strikeout here but as long as they strike gold in the bountiful 2020 class they should be fine in the long run

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think she may be one little click below a top 5 like Jones or Horston but my hope is that she will prove to be a big part of the team going forward....if you've read any of my posts I've been pretty negative on UConn's chances with the three specific recruits for quite some time.....so much competition for a west coast kid with smarts who can live quite nicely staying home, join the momentum parade at ND or do what so many other greats have done and head to Storrs...she's just impossible to read ...Boston has had a clear path to the starting job at UConn for soooooo long that you would think she'd jump on it but instead she's done the tour and we all assume it's coming down to ND and UConn....it will be a short term loss for UConn if they strikeout here but as long as they strike gold in the bountiful 2020 class they should be fine in the long run
Of all the school under consideration Boston's path to a starting position would be the least clear at UCONN. Boston is UCONN's #1 recruiting priority precisely because she is the kind of kid that understands this and is willing to earn that spot and not rely on something being given to her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My feelings about this year. As long as there's no major injuries. I think this can be a special year. Westbrook now a experienced PG and talented. Davis has upped her game. . there are more options this year for inside play.
Love your participation on this board and I'm sure the orange nation appreciates it even more but...
Be honest with me isn't this post really a cut and paste for about 5 years now.
If Mercedes can stay healthy.... she played hurt all of last year-in both feet......
We lost our shot at a FF when Isabelle Harrison went down......
If Diamond can remain injury free.....
If Cooper can get back to her old self....
As long as there's no major injuries.....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of all the school under consideration Boston's path to a starting position would be the least clear at UCONN. Boston is UCONN's #1 recruiting priority precisely because she is the kind of kid that understands this and is willing to earn that spot and not rely on something being given to her.

Notre Dame will have Cosgrove (6'4"), Vaughn (6'3") both posts along with Patterson and Brunelle both at 6'2" up front...........UConn will have ONO who may play the four, Irwin and Camara for one year............It would appear that UConn appears to have the weaker front court in terms of numbers..........I can't imagine Boston not earning some significant minutes her freshman year

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom