Joel Ntambwe (UNLV Transfer) | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Joel Ntambwe (UNLV Transfer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Starting to get a little frustrated that there doesn’t seem to be a massive talent upgrade happening this offseason. These things usually happen fairly quickly after the season ends.
Spring signing period is still a couple of weeks away.

Reaction Score
Starting to get a little frustrated that there doesn’t seem to be a massive talent upgrade happening this offseason. These things usually happen fairly quickly after the season ends. We can not field the the team we have now and expect to win. We went what 1-7 without Jalen last year? These freshman better be spectacular.
:rolleyes:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Starting to get a little frustrated that there doesn’t seem to be a massive talent upgrade happening this offseason.

How would this massive talent upgrade manifest itself?

Reaction Score
Not much movement for any teams yet. Too early to worry. Looks good for the UNLV kid and then we just need a backup center to compete with Carlton. Maybe one of the juco's or a grad transfer. I wouldn't expect or hope for anything else. There is not exactly a plethora of good big men in the market. This takes time. We are bringing in 3 top 100 kids in a class and hit on 3 of our 4 plan A kids. The Cockburn miss really hurts.

Ian Steere committed to St. John's the other day. 6'9", 260, power forward rated #140 overall, and #18 PF. Played only one game last fall as a freshman and sat out the rest of the year. We haven't been mentioned regarding him, but if Mullin leaves maybe we should be.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m a bit surprised we haven’t heard anything about our current players.

I’m not. Of the two guys who’s ships might come open, one would need to transfer down to a lower level program. Since he played well the last two games, he may be in the plans as a four year bench player instead. The other one would never transfer, he’d instead retire from playing, and his scholarship would come open.

C

Chief00

Chief understands everyone’s impatience. Once the F4 and Coach’s Conference conclude - look for things to move fairly quickly - when Chief says quickly not months but not days either - weeks. It’s a two step process in aggregate since we currently only have officially one scholarship open.
All I can say is it has been a little frustrating with the current group. Some groups of players are better than others at honest self evaluation and planning their future accordingly. As with quick timeouts and quick hooks to players who don’t perform, Hurley has more patience than Calhoun did.
As with 2 former coach’s (KO and GM) many of KO’s former players don’t seem to naturally have a turn key exit plan either.

Reaction Score
Chief understands everyone’s impatience. Once the F4 and Coach’s Conference conclude - look for things to move fairly quickly - when Chief says quickly not months but not days either - weeks. It’s a two step process in aggregate since we currently only have officially one scholarship open.
All I can say is it has been a little frustrating with the current group. Some groups of players are better than others at honest self evaluation and planning their future accordingly. As with quick timeouts and quick hooks to players who don’t perform, Hurley has more patience than Calhoun did.
As with 2 former coach’s (KO and GM) many of KO’s former players don’t seem to naturally have a turn key exit plan either.
I hear you Chief loud and clear. Unfortunately there are some players on the roster whom appear to settle for complacency. They need to grab the surgical scissors themselves and cut the umbilical cord.

Reaction Score
Ah, the many stages of a Boneyard Recruiting Thread.

1. News about potential recruit
  2. Actual analysis of potential recruit
  3. Comparison of recruit to former player
  4. Four page argument about whether potential recruit is better than former player
  5. Someone insults Chief
  6. Chief appears
  7. Two page argument about Chief
  8. Someone brings up Ollie
  9. Seven pages arguing about Ollie
  10. Someone tries to bring conversation back to recruit
  11. That person is summarily insulted
  12. Unprompted two-message discussion about pizza or beer
  13. Someone brings up Hamidou Diallo or Diamond Stone
  14. "We should drop football and join the Big East"
  15. Six more pages on arguing about dropping football
  16. Recruit gets offer from Kansas
  17. Despair

Did I miss the dropping Football part.

Reaction Score

That's the thing. I mean Hurley's not going to be punting guys out of the program. It's not his style. They're going to have to show themselves the door and there are a few guys here who probably would be a lot better off being somewhere else. For us and them, honestly.

Whether they get that is.. well. I have a feeling though -we'll have 2, maybe 3 scholarships to work with.

Reaction Score
That's the thing. I mean Hurley's not going to be punting guys out of the program. It's not his style. They're going to have to show themselves the door and there are a few guys here who probably would be a lot better off being somewhere else. For us and them, honestly.

Whether they get that is.. well. I have a feeling though -we'll have 2, maybe 3 scholarships to work with.

Yes, but I feel like those guys feel lucky to be at UConn.

Reaction Score
Yes, but I feel like those guys feel lucky to be at UConn.

Oh sure. Some guys are thrilled just to have a jersey.

We also made the offer, so it's important to honor the commitment.

Reaction Score

Those scholarships are on a year to year basis. Hurley didn't recruit these kids and owes them nothing.

Reaction Score

This is so checkers not chess. Beyond being at a competitive disadvantage since 99% of schools do this, kids get an opportunity to play somewhere else where they fit. Unless you don’t care about competition and playing, i can’t imagine sitting is more fun than going to a mid or low Major and getting to play and contribute.

Coach Calhoun never had a problem having enough scholarships. He was upfront with them.

Hurley gave some of the bottom tier of the roster a chance, it’s time to move on for both parties, especially if you can’t get burn on probably the least talented team I’ve seen since becoming a fan in ‘94.

Reaction Score
This is so checkers not chess. Beyond being at a competitive disadvantage since 99% of schools do this, kids get an opportunity to play somewhere else where they fit. Unless you don’t care about competition and playing, i can’t imagine sitting is more fun than going to a mid or low Major and getting to play and contribute.

Coach Calhoun never had a problem having enough scholarships. He was upfront with them.

Hurley gave some of the bottom tier of the roster a chance, it’s time to move on for both parties, especially if you can’t get burn on probably the least talented team I’ve seen since becoming a fan in ‘94.

Eh, I get it. But it's a bad look. While yes, it's about basketball, it's also not just about basketball.

And I'm pretty sure Hurley is up front with these guys. Doesn't sound at all like KW has been getting 'Kwint, you're so good!' speeches all year, exactly. And i'm pretty sure Whalley is hearing his lack of playing time loud and clear.

C

Chief00

In fairness to Coach Hurley - we are being held to a higher APR standard - so you need to be careful that guys finish the semester in good standing when transferring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom