Jim Calhoun | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I just don't think they have any chance. By almost every metric, except TV contract, Harvard is a much better job for Amaker. If I am him, I am waiting for Duke or Stanford to open up.

WestHartHusk - I am curious as to what those metrics would be that you referenced above. Not trying to be a smarta**, I am just curious.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but is BC interested in him?

No. For a host of reasons, BC will not be hiring Jim Calhoun. Even if BC fans that might set aside their dislike for him and agree he's a fine Coach and might be ok with his consideration for the position, its not going to happen, imo. BC rejected Jim Calhoun's interest in Coaching at BC years ago and will do so again. BC will not allow 0-10 % grad rates in its athletic programs. It just won't.. and no matter how many wins you can get for the school, BC won't even consider such a Coach. .I'm sort of surprised to learn of JC's apparently strong interest in the opening at BC, but the good news here for Uconn fans is that their worst fears on this appear to me to have little to no chance of ever happening.

Reaction Score
I was shocked to see this news on the ESPN ticker earlier today, and I'm not buying it.

A couple of thoughts though:

I believe that JC stepped down in good faith due to health issues. He might be feeling better now and want to get back in to coaching. He has earned that right, so if he does I wish him luck.

I wouldn't expect him to end up at BC, but if he did it wouldn't be a bad thing for UConn. UConn would likely have at least one ally at BC, which might help if the ACC ever expands again.

Reaction Score
Yawkey Way said:
No. For a host of reasons, BC will not be hiring Jim Calhoun. Even if BC fans that might set aside their dislike for him and agree he's a fine Coach and might be ok with his consideration for the position, its not going to happen, imo. BC rejected Jim Calhoun's interest in Coaching at BC years ago and will do so again. BC will not allow 0-10 % grad rates in its athletic programs. It just won't.. and no matter how many wins you can get for the school, BC won't even consider such a Coach. .I'm sort of surprised to learn of JC's apparently strong interest in the opening at BC, but the good news here for Uconn fans is that their worst fears on this appear to me to have little to no chance of ever happening.

I love how you called it "apparently strong interest" despite 6 pages of beat writers, donors, and Calhoun himself refuting it.

Reaction Score

LOL at this post. Everything about it.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
WestHartHusk - I am curious as to what those metrics would be that you referenced above. Not trying to be a smarta* , I am just curious.

You are a good poster (I think)...didn't have to add "not trying to be a smart* :). And though I am generally first in line to bash BC, I also don't mean any of the below as a smarta* and my opinion can be wrong. That said...

The reason I give the tilt to Harvard is because I think if Amaker took the BC job it is with other jobs in mind later. And if that is the prism, then he is much better off staying put because: 1) Harvard is positioned within the league to consistently get into the tournament; 2) they have a unique sales pitch that won't work with all kids, but should get them 3 solid players every year; and 3) he pretty much as the job as long as he wants it; and 4) I don't think there are any "additional" jobs that will open up to him for being successful at BC that won't open based on his success at Harvard. In contrasts, 1) BC has a significant uphill battle for years to come to gain traction in a league ripe with "brands" if not talent; 2) I am not sure how BC can differentiate itself right now regarding recruiting (facilities and support are sub-par relative to their league and regional competition; and 3) I think if he struggles for 4 years he will be out of a job whereas he is absolutely safe at Harvard for four years regardless.

Just my two cents...

Reaction Score
I love how you called it "apparently strong interest" despite 6 pages of beat writers, donors, and Calhoun himself refuting it.

I love how Yawkey also writes like BCU has never sold their soul or compromised their integrity for anything in their miserable existence.

Reaction Score

Troll alert……and touch hole!!

Reaction Score
This thread is not even worthy of debate it's so crazy, but I guess where UCONN is concerned the press making things up has no bounds.

Reaction Score
Why hasn't Calhoun come out with a statement denying it yet? It's all over Espn

Reaction Score
Ok so I doubt it but if he did - good for him. He looks good , the challenge will always be there to get back so if he goes anywhere I will be a fan, of Jim to be successful, not the fans!

Reaction Score

I'm wondering if this story is being blown out of proportion by a reporter. Calhoun has said that he'd consider a return to the sideline, Someone probably asked him if he'd consider coaching at BC, and he probably said yes. That might be the extent of it.

BC probably won't call, and even if they did there is no guarantee that Calhoun would take the job. This story may be pure conjecture because BC needs a coach and Calhoun might want a job.

I'm just guessing though, all I have to go by are news clips. I could be way off, I guess we'll see.

Reaction Score
BC rejected Jim Calhoun's interest in Coaching at BC years ago and will do so again.

That's about the only thing I could agree, even if Calhoun was interest
Why hasn't Calhoun come out with a statement denying it yet? It's all over Espn

I guess you could see the ambiguity of this statement.

Gavin Keefe ‏@GavinKeefe 1m
Calhoun: "I'm not trying to get back into basketball. I'm not seeking a job." #UConn

Reaction Score
Rumors out of Rhode Island claim Andre LaFleur is a candidate for the bcu job. If so, it's possible bcu was conferring with JC about Andre.
Naturally, Goodman heard bcu & JC were talking and they decided JC was applying for that dead end job.

Another rumor has Tommy Amaker as a candidate, too.

Reaction Score
I dont believe in Goldman, his type like a curse, Instant Karma's gonna get him, if Bono don't get him first

Reaction Score
You are a good poster (I think)...didn't have to add "not trying to be a smart* :). And though I am generally first in line to bash BC, I also don't mean any of the below as a smarta* and my opinion can be wrong. That said...

The reason I give the tilt to Harvard is because I think if Amaker took the BC job it is with other jobs in mind later. And if that is the prism, then he is much better off staying put because: 1) Harvard is positioned within the league to consistently get into the tournament; 2) they have a unique sales pitch that won't work with all kids, but should get them 3 solid players every year; and 3) he pretty much as the job as long as he wants it; and 4) I don't think there are any "additional" jobs that will open up to him for being successful at BC that won't open based on his success at Harvard. In contrasts, 1) BC has a significant uphill battle for years to come to gain traction in a league ripe with "brands" if not talent; 2) I am not sure how BC can differentiate itself right now regarding recruiting (facilities and support are sub-par relative to their league and regional competition; and 3) I think if he struggles for 4 years he will be out of a job whereas he is absolutely safe at Harvard for four years regardless.

Just my two cents...

Thanks WestHartHusk. Cannot say I disagree with any of your points, other than to say I think given the large number of open schollies coming up, the right coach (who can recruit) could make them competitive (which would revive the support). That said, I agree that BC MBB is terrible now and desperately needs a "Steve Addazio" hire for MBB!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question - excellent points.

Reaction Score
Yahoo does this around tourney time every year to drive views up. Goodman is a a Cuse
FWIW Goodman works for ESPN, not Yahoo Sports, and he went to Arizona, not Syracuse. But I do think Goodman got bad information.

Reaction Score
I only quoted the " apparent strong interest "as this is what ESPN writer was reporting. I also debunked the ESPN reporting as highly dubious in its validity. I see BC having little to no interest in hiring Jim Calhoun as their next Coach, nor believe for a nano second that Jim Calhoun as any " serious interest " in pursuing the opening there. It just demonstrates once again how what we read in the so called mainstream press out of Connecticut, that then goes national, can have no basis in truth whatsoever, sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom