Jim Calhoun | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At this point, Yale has better basketball and hockey programs than bc!

haha!.. good point... Maybe the reason that BC voted " " yes " for Uconn's Hockey program's admittance to Hockey East was BC's fear of Yale Hockey now passing BC in New England.( haha! )

Reaction Score
haha!.. good point... Maybe the reason that BC voted " " yes " for Uconn's Hockey program's admittance to Hockey East was BC's fear of Yale Hockey now passing BC in New England.( haha! )
This is laughably wrong.

C

Chief00

I posted about Calhoun and the BC job several days ago. He wants the job - bottom-line. ADs particularly young ones want to make their own hire and now all Hell has broken loose in the media with more to come tomorrow. Bilas, Boeheim, Pearl etc have all endorsed the idea. I expect Jackie McMillan in the Globe to endorse this idea. If they don't hire him I hope he takes another ACC job and beats BC another 20 times LOL. Imagine his resentment if they turn down a hall of fame , 3 times NC coach for another mediocre coach.

Reaction Score
Irony of a Ironies
Calhoun end's up in the ACC and UConn is left behind.
It will be the final nail in our coffin.
If he takes that job my view of him will be diminished.
Just another egocentric opportunist.
From the Larry a Brown school of honor.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
He loves JC, I think the glee in his voice is to tweak UConn fans that he can (one sidedly) battle on his show. Lol @ him claiming that he has some source that says there is definitely interest, his source is the same damn garbage ESPN article Goodman wrote, its amazing a guy that full of sh_t can even stay upright to host a show.
He said maybe JC was tweeking UConn. Like he would do that during K.O.s first tourney

C

Chief00

Guys, believe it or not, BC is actually a "Dream Job" for JC. He wanted that job badly decades ago and he felt disrespected when he did not even receive consideration. JC is very much a blue collar Irish Catholic guy from Boston, who also happens to be a smart dude. The Shanty Irish reference had to do with how disrespected he felt despite a great track record at Northeastern. It may not have meaning to you but it was the motivation to slapping BC down over 20 consecutive games and with JC every game is big but as Tom Moore said beating BC was always special. I went to several UConn games at the Conte Forum and there were always some great celebrations after some of these games - I will leave it at that. BC started as primarily a commuter school for Boston Irish who due to social class could not get into the Harvards, etc. It's demographics are much different today but it was really ironic that the most qualified guy, who also happened to be Boston Irish Catholic wasn't even considered. I knew Jimmy O'Brien and loved the guy and he was a great passer, teammate and coach. But despite his great playing career at BC he is Irish NY in background - Yankees vs Red Sox. BC is a Boston school and the consideration should have gone to the Red Sox guy.

Reaction Score
Guys, believe it or not, BC is actually a "Dream Job" for JC. He wanted that job badly decades ago and he felt disrespected when he did not even receive consideration. JC is very much a blue collar Irish Catholic guy from Boston, who also happens to be a smart dude. The Shanty Irish reference had to do with how disrespected he felt despite a great track record at Northeastern. It may not have meaning to you but it was the motivation to slapping BC down over 20 consecutive games and with JC every game is big but as Tom Moore said beating BC was always special. I went to several UConn games at the Conte Forum and there were always some great celebrations after some of these games - I will leave it at that. BC started as primarily a commuter school for Boston Irish who due to social class could not get into the Harvards, etc. It's demographics are much different today but it was really ironic that the most qualified guy, who also happened to be Boston Irish Catholic wasn't even considered. I knew Jimmy O'Brien and loved the guy and he was a great passer, teammate and coach. But despite his great playing career at BC he is Irish NY in background - Yankees vs Red Sox. BC is a Boston school and the consideration should have gone to the Red Sox guy.
And when I was younger, Alyssa Milano was my dream girl. You know what, I aged, so did she, and I no longer dream of her. Things change. Tell JC this isn't some golf game on Hilton Head. There is no mulligan with this one.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Guys, believe it or not, BC is actually a "Dream Job" for JC. He wanted that job badly decades ago and he felt disrespected when he did not even receive consideration. JC is very much a blue collar Irish Catholic guy from Boston,
Newsflash: Blue collar Irish Catholics from Boston have no love for BC. It is a school for under-performing rich kids whose parents have money and connections, and who don't have the credentials to get into good schools. The notion that it's a dream job for Calhoun is laughable.

Reaction Score

I'm calling bull .

I can't think of two more opposing entities than JC and BC.

Reaction Score
Any new bread crumbs to follow in this "story"?

Francesa was annoying as heck yesterday with his "close source" stating how real all this is. He did bash Rutgers for selling the BIG a bill of goods that they'll never live up to.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Any new bread crumbs to follow in this "story"?

Francesa was annoying as heck yesterday with his "close source" stating how real all this is. He did bash Rutgers for selling the BIG a bill of goods that they'll never live up to.

So...the usual?

A mouse would starve chasing this story's bread crumbs.

Reaction Score
Thank you Yawkey. I don't even think there would be a boneyard forum if BC hired Calhoun years ago. So thanks for trying to be Yale while failing to do so both in the classroom and in some years athletically as well.
While Calhoun was a great Coach ( with undeniably low ethics... as NCAA sanctions, and Uconn Admin. would acknowledge ), Uconn in my view was a sleeping giant that had the makings to move up in BE Basketball, if they hired the right Coach. Perno was lazy and increasingly ineffective. Calhoun was a relentless and efficiient 24-7 recruiter, that Perno never was. So I might disagree a bit that UCONN would continue to be mediocre in basketball if they did not hire Calhoun. Uconn might not have won as many games as they did with Calhoun, but UCONN'S admittance to the BE gave them a chance to move up nationally, provided Uconn got themselves a good Coach... and Uconn did do so.

Reaction Score
I don't think he could issue more of a denial than he already has without suggesting something offensive about BCU itself, and I'm guessing that, despite his feelings, he now understands that further antagonizing the administration of the school that has admittedly blocked our admission to the ACC is not a good thing for UConn.
While I agree with your underlying sentiment that " further antagonizing BC' doesn't seem like a good strategy moving forward, BC does not have the power and influence many on here seemingly believe they have in the ACC to ( as you said ) " block Uconn's admittance to the ACC ". If the ACC wanted Uconn, they'd have invited Uconn, and BC be damned on what they want. Thats how I see it anyway.

Reaction Score
Newsflash: Blue collar Irish Catholics from Boston have no love for BC. .

I'm blue collar Irish Catholic from Boston ( 8 miles out ) that loves BC ( well, maybe not love them, but like following them, anyway ). BC's football home attendance is about that of UConn's home football attendance. There are probably more blue collar Irish Catholics attending BC home football games at BC than blue collar Irish Catholics attending Uconn home football games at Hartford for Uconn... but probably more minority fan attendance at Hartford for Uconn's game there than minority attendance at Alumni. Part of this might be explained by the fact that BC plays their home games in Chestnut Hill ( few minorities in this locale ) while Uconn plays their home games in more racially and much more ethnically diverse Hartford. Thats my take anyway as to the demographic profile of the typical attendees of the BC home football games and the make up of the demographic profile of the attendance at the UCONN home football games. Both have " blue collar Irish Catholics " in attendance, but having attended games in both, BC would appear to me to have more of this group in attendance for their home football games, than Uconn at Hartford... then again, one neve really knows if the attendee is blue collar, white collar, or Irish, nor what their religion is. But facial features DO give an observable tip off to the racial makeup of attendees, and Uconn's football fanbase in Hartford decidedly looks much more diverse to me. BC looks to me to have much less racial diversity in their football fanbase than does Uconn.... at least from observing the football crowds at both Hartford and at Chestnut Hill, anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm blue collar Irish Catholic from Boston ( 8 miles out ) that loves BC ( well, maybe not love them, but like following them, anyway ). BC's football home attendance is about that of UConn's home football attendance. There are probably more blue collar Irish Catholics attending BC home football games at BC than blue collar Irish Catholics attending Uconn home football games at Hartford for Uconn... but probably more minority fan attendance at Hartford for Uconn's game there than minority attendance at Alumni. Part of this might be explained by the fact that BC plays their home games in Chestnut Hill ( few minorities in this locale ) while Uconn plays their home games in more racially and much more ethnically diverse Hartford. Thats my take anyway as to the demographic profile of the typical attendees of the BC home football games and the make up of the demographic profile of the attendance at the UCONN home football games. Both have " blue collar Irish Catholics " in attendance, but having attended games in both, BC would appear to me to have more of this group in attendance for their home football games, than Uconn at Hartford... then again, one neve really knows if the attendee is blue collar, white collar, or Irish, nor what their religion is. But facial features DO give an observable tip off to the racial makeup of attendees, and Uconn's football fanbase in Hartford decidedly looks much more diverse to me. BC looks to me to have much less racial diversity in their football fanbase than does Uconn.... at least from observing the football crowds at both Hartford and at Chestnut Hill, anyway.

You're clueless. UConn doesn't play it's football games in Hartford...

... and maybe the demographics of the crowd have more to do with the demographics of the school and its alumni than the city/town the stadium is in?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I posted about Calhoun and the BC job several days ago. He wants the job - bottom-line. .

Doubt it. Why would a Coach that has said he hates a school with the heat of a thousand suns, later turn around and say he wants that school to hire him ? And why in heavens name would BC for their part want to even consider such a Coach ? Jim Calhoun is not going to busting his ass for BC anytime soon. Such a scenario would be akin to the chances that Harry Reid switches political parties and declares himself a Republican.
Jim Calhoun the next BC Basketball Coach ? Really ? I mean... it really is pretty silly and a complete non starter as a discussion isn't it ?... no matter how we might feeel about Jim, BC et al, its just not going to happen.. end of story, imo.

Reaction Score

... and maybe the demographics of the crowd have more to do with the demographics of the school and its alumni than the city/town the stadium is in?

Could be... but I don't know how one can determine with any degree of certainty if those in attendance... no matter where the home team plays their home games... is "blue collar "... " Irish Catholic " or whatever. We really only have info on the make up of the student body. BC has lots of students from throughout the country ( and the world now ) that don't attend any BC games. So my hunch is that the BC attendance at Alumni still has a goodly mix of " blue collar, Irish Catholics " from Greater Boston region in attendance... probably more so than at Uconn football home games has of this ethnic and religious persuasion. But again, anybody that tells you what the religion is, and the ethnic make up is of the BC football fan base ( or the Uconn fanbase at their games for that matter ) doesn't know anymore about this than you or me, and really doesn't know what they're talking about re. this in my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits