Jewell Loyd Leaving for WNBA | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Jewell Loyd Leaving for WNBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know about that.

And secondly, in defense of the ND fan, if a player only plays 3 years while another gives you 4, and the players are close, why wouldn't some fans give it to the paly that played? Four is better than three.
Jewell is the reason ND was even in the NC game. Every team was focusing on her but she got them through every team but UCONN. The other players were missing wide open shots in the NC game.

Last edited by a moderator:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Striper - a lot of people complained about the one and done players on the men's side when the rules for the NBA were changed. But fan's have become inured to it over time. But for most fans on the men's side, I think there is more love for those that stuck around for three or four years, than those that visited for 6 months, however talented.

And on the women's side Loyd and Zahui B are the second and third players I am aware of who, in good academic standing, turned pro before they got their degree over the history of that being an option. There may have been another but I don't think so. Parker did leave with eligibility remaining but with her degree in hand, as have a few others that either had to sit out a transfer year or an injury year. So we are not used to players leaving short of their degree, and we are generally not happy with the idea it might be the start of a trend. We are probably more emotionally attached to the players as people, and there is an element of 'betrayal' in their leaving us before we expect them to.

Morgan might well leave after next year with her degree in hand - I hope not, but it would not be all that surprising. She would have completed her academic requirement which is the 'bargain' she made with the school and her fans.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Jewell is the reason ND was even in the NC game. Every team was focusing on her but she got them through every team but UCONN. The other players were missing wide open shots in the NC game.
Sometimes when there's a superstar on a team, teammates unconsciously stand back and wait for her to make shots. We've seen it at UConn with the Diana Taurasi-led teams. It's not unusual for really good players, and ND has a lot of them, to rediscover how good they are after the superstar is gone and to play at a higher level.

And we shouldn't underestimate Muffet as a coach. She's almost as good at covering up weaknesses in a team as Geno is.

Reaction Score
Give what?

Fans identifying one player is greater because of 4 years instead of 3. I could be wrong but it seemed like it bothers you a bit if a fan gives another an edge/ or equates them because of 4 years vs 3. .

Reaction Score

I don't agree with this at all. You don't win your own conference - be regarded as 2nd best team in America, get to the finals, keep it close vs UCONN and crush us on the backboards all because of Jewell Loyd. Were Mabrey and Turner missing wide open shots?

Reaction Score
Striper - a lot of people complained about the one and done players on the men's side when the rules for the NBA were changed. But fan's have become inured to it over time. But for most fans on the men's side, I think there is more love for those that stuck around for three or four years, than those that visited for 6 months, however talented.

And on the women's side Loyd and Zahui B are the second and third players I am aware of who, in good academic standing, turned pro before they got their degree over the history of that being an option. There may have been another but I don't think so. Parker did leave with eligibility remaining but with her degree in hand, as have a few others that either had to sit out a transfer year or an injury year. So we are not used to players leaving short of their degree, and we are generally not happy with the idea it might be the start of a trend. We are probably more emotionally attached to the players as people, and there is an element of 'betrayal' in their leaving us before we expect them to.

Morgan might well leave after next year with her degree in hand - I hope not, but it would not be all that surprising. She would have completed her academic requirement which is the 'bargain' she made with the school and her fans.

Epiphanny Prince left Rutgers in good academic standing to play in Europe before playing in the WNBA.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Epiphanny Prince left Rutgers in good academic standing to play in Europe before playing in the WNBA.
Yes but a year short of graduating. She may have since, I don't know. But she would fall into the same situation as Loyd and is the third player that I remember.

Reaction Score
Sometimes when there's a superstar on a team, teammates unconsciously stand back and wait for her to make shots. We've seen it at UConn with the Diana Taurasi-led teams. It's not unusual for really good players, and ND has a lot of them, to rediscover how good they are after the superstar is gone and to play at a higher level.

And we shouldn't underestimate Muffet as a coach. She's almost as good at covering up weaknesses in a team as Geno is.
With all due respect: when ND has to know that UCONN is gonna key in on Jewell as the main offensive threat- Muffet had better prepare her team to take advantage of that. If the players didn't then it's on them.

Reaction Score
Fans identifying one player is greater because of 4 years instead of 3. I could be wrong but it seemed like it bothers you a bit if a fan gives another an edge/ or equates them because of 4 years vs 3. .
Who cares? They weren't paying her to play. She was playing of her own free will.

I don't give a cr@p about the ND "tradition" or whatnot. Yeah, they got a cool venue as Skylar showed us. Maybe Jewell was tired of seeing her Mother struggling etc. I had such a Mother but she didn't struggle cause my Dad took care of her. Maybe Jewel wants to make her life easier.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
That's what I don't like about the college game. Fans think they own the players (at least in women's BB) then some of them don't support them when they move on to the WNBA.
You don't hear people whining about the "One And Dones" in men's CBB.

How about being big about it and thanking her for what she gave to ND/wishing her luck?

I also wonder what would have happened if the shoe was on the other foot and Stewart was eligible to go for the draft and decided to leave early? It's really about the same thing on the UCONN side. UCONN doesn't win the title next year without her (and if Jewell had stayed).

I don't know why you quoted my post, because you certainly aren't responding to it.

I said that I respect her decision. As a fan of Jewell Loyd, I want the best for her. As a fan of ND, we'll really miss her on the court.

I can recognize that she's making the best choice for her and wish her well while at the same time being sad that it isn't also a choice that benefits ND.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Who cares? They weren't paying her to play. She was playing of her own free will.

I don't give a cr@p about the ND "tradition" or whatnot. Yeah, they got a cool venue as Skylar showed us. Maybe Jewell was tired of seeing her Mother struggling etc. I had such a Mother but she didn't struggle cause my Dad took care of her. Maybe Jewel wants to make her life easier.
Well - they were compensating her to the tune of a very expensive education.
And the fans were paying to watch the team - and with that 'buying' the right to like one player and not another or more than another. And the right to venerate one player more than another.

Geno at Uconn has a simple rule for his former players - you are not allowed back until you compete your degree. No reason fans can't use a similar distinction for their 'hall of fame'.

Reaction Score
It's bad for us too and for WCBB.
If you're talking about the general level of competition, ND wasn't all that much better than SC this year with Jewell, and SC with their freshmen will improve. If you're talking about wanting ND to retain a top program for the good of the game, my dislike of all things ND stops me from being objective.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That's what I don't like about the college game. Fans think they own the players (at least in women's BB) then some of them don't support them when they move on to the WNBA.
You don't hear people whining about the "One And Dones" in men's CBB.
How about being big about it and thanking her for what she gave to ND/wishing her luck?

Well - they were compensating her to the tune of a very expensive education.
And the fans were paying to watch the team - and with that 'buying' the right to like one player and not another or more than another. And the right to venerate one player more than another.
Geno at Uconn has a simple rule for his former players - you are not allowed back until you compete your degree. No reason fans can't use a similar distinction for their 'hall of fame'.

UC while I definitely don't support the tone of Striper69's post but I support a small sentiment expressed in it. I agree that Jewell is being compensated with a ND education but there are limits on that compensation vs. what she can do with her WNBA compensation/paycheck. The latter allows her to pay her mom's utility bill if she so choose. The former expressly forbids it. Part of a bigger discussion maybe.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UC while I definitely don't support the tone of Striper69's post but I support a small sentiment expressed in it. I agree that Jewell is being compensated with a ND education but there are limits on that compensation vs. what she can do with her WNBA compensation/paycheck. The latter allows her to pay her mom's utility bill if she so choose. The former expressly forbids it. Part of a bigger discussion maybe.
Agree - it just seems Stripper feels that 'legacy' should be determined only by the quality of time on the court and not by the quantity.
I have no problem with Jewel leaving (I may disagree with the decision, but it is her decision to make) but the fact that she leaves early does have an effect on the legacy she leaves behind - both in raw numbers, and in fan's opinions.

Reaction Score

I know you dont't care. Neither would I - I'm with you in that respect and frankly you can care less whether I'm with you or not too. But the ND fan doesn't care what you or I think either. And some are going to say things such as "Loyd only played 3 years while Skylar played 4. Edge to Skylar." It is no more or less relevant than all of us discussing greatest teams, greatest players at UCONN ever, greatest pg's ever etc.

Reaction Score
This response made less sense than your original post. If "few freshman players come into freshman seasons making a great impact" is accurate, why include freshman in your analysis of Tennessee, Baylor and UConn ? And doesn't that contradict or at least give some doubt to the accuracy of your statement "Te'a Cooper instantly picks up the starting PG position" ?
I understand that you don't think ND is a FF team next year but you did dismiss them without mentioning their freshman class while crediting freshman from other teams as helping (e.g. "they also have some quality post players coming in Mompremier and Brown").
You make a definitive statement "One of the freshman will be needed to come in a fill a huge void left by Loyd, which is not going to happen." Then follow it up with a qualifier " Ogunbowale? Maybe". After reading all this, I'm not sure where you stand on freshman and their effect on their new teams.

Finally, why you are insisting that Tennessee was a 2 seed in 2014 is beyond me. Usually, when an error is pointed out, the general response is to make the correction rather than insisting that the inaccuracy is in fact accurate.
I'll just say it like this: I don't think those particular players are going to make a huge impact! As you can I listed the incoming classes of the Final Four teams I chose! Not the outside looking in! Te'a Cooper instantly picks up the starting spot because Massengale did before she even stepped on campus, and Cooper is much better guard! You can watch the videos of her via youtube and see that's there no doubt that she will! I'm not contradicting myself, that's my opinion! And if you would google: NCAA women's bracket, you would see in the Spokane region that Tennessee was a 2-seed, and Maryland was the 1-seed!

Reaction Score
I'll just say it like this: I don't think those particular players are going to make a huge impact! As you can I listed the incoming classes of the Final Four teams I chose! Not the outside looking in! Te'a Cooper instantly picks up the starting spot because Massengale did before she even stepped on campus, and Cooper is much better guard! You can watch the videos of her via youtube and see that's there no doubt that she will! I'm not contradicting myself, that's my opinion! And if you would google: NCAA women's bracket, you would see in the Spokane region that Tennessee was a 2-seed, and Maryland was the 1-seed!

rvwsleep said Tennesee was a #1 seed in 2014, and in fact they were the #1 seed in the Louisville region. They were the #2 seed in the Spokane region in 2015.

Reaction Score
What Muffet knew ...and when she knew it!
UConn_Tweet_16.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34