Jewell Loyd Leaving for WNBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn_tweet_9.jpg

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
She is eligible to put her name into the draft since she is 22, but I believe she is planning to come back to ND for another season.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
She is eligible to put her name into the draft since she is 22, but I believe she is planning to come back to ND for another season.

Just to be totally pedantic...she's 21 right now. Players are eligible if they will turn 22 at any time during the year of that particular draft. Jewell will turn 22 in October.

More to the point, quote from ESPN on the subject: "Irish coach Muffet McGraw said that Loyd initiated a meeting with her a few weeks ago to talk about her future. McGraw said that Loyd acknowledged her WNBA eligibility and assured McGraw she would be returning."

And from the AP: "While she has until Wednesday to declare because she is in the national championship game, Notre Dame sports information director Chris Masters said Loyd is "100 percent staying".

Reaction Score
Just to be totally pedantic...she's 21 right now. Players are eligible if they will turn 22 at any time during the year of that particular draft. Jewell will turn 22 in October.

More to the point, quote from ESPN on the subject: "Irish coach Muffet McGraw said that Loyd initiated a meeting with her a few weeks ago to talk about her future. McGraw said that Loyd acknowledged her WNBA eligibility and assured McGraw she would be returning."

And from the AP: "While she has until Wednesday to declare because she is in the national championship game, Notre Dame sports information director Chris Masters said Loyd is "100 percent staying".
She could always change her mind...(go pro, Jewell!...)

Reaction Score
I hope that she stays. The women's game needs her at this level for another year. If that makes it harder for UCONN to win its fourth straight then so be it. The better our caliber of competition is the better we will be, and Jewell is a great competitor.

Reaction Score
All week the definitive answer was "no" and I doubt that has changed.

Reaction Score
I wish her well and she and her family will make the right choice...........What is the benefit of coming back VS making huge $$$$ in the WNBA and Europe or wherever this winter?.....Is ND going to beat UCONN next April?.......NO.........Why should she line the pockets of ND with $$$ for another season.......She can always come back and get her degree online........

Reaction Score
I wish her well and she and her family will make the right choice......What is the benefit of coming back VS making huge $$$$ in the WNBA and Europe or wherever this winter?.....Is ND going to beat UCONN next April?..NO....Why should she line the pockets of ND with $$$ for another season..She can always come back and get her degree online...

By that way of thinking, Stewart, Jefferson, et al should go pro now as well. I like the fact the women's game keeps players around for 4 years 99% of the time.

One of the great things about women's collegiate sports is that it not the cesspool that is men's basketball and football. Women athletes are using basketball or whatever sport as a means to an end, not an end in itself.

This game also showed she has things she still needs to work on.

Reactions: HGN

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
She could always change her mind...(go pro, Jewell!...)
I actually hope she stays. She's a terrific player and fun to watch. Will be one of the "___" to see next year along with Stewie and a few others probably. Maybe even Tuck and/or Jefferson will get some love on the ___ to see...

Reaction Score
By that way of thinking, Stewart, Jefferson, et al should go pro now as well. I like the fact the women's game keeps players around for 4 years 99% of the time.

One of the great things about women's collegiate sports is that it not the cesspool that is men's basketball and football. Women athletes are using basketball or whatever sport as a means to an end, not an end in itself.

This game also showed she has things she still needs to work on.

Neither Mojeff nor Stewie go pro this year. Jefferson just turned 21 in March and Stewart won't be 21 until August.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

I assumed she would. Not sure why people are making a deal about this???

Reaction Score
I wish her well and she and her family will make the right choice......What is the benefit of coming back VS making huge $$$$ in the WNBA and Europe or wherever this winter?.....Is ND going to beat UCONN next April?..NO....Why should she line the pockets of ND with $$$ for another season..She can always come back and get her degree online...
I agree. She can get endorsement deals that others simply can't because of who she is. Hopefully she's seen what Zowie B. did and will reconsider.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I really respect Jewel a lot - she is very good in interviews - thoughtful and informative. A great young woman and a heck of a player.
Men in football and basketball that get drafted high can retire after a few years with a nest egg that if well managed could last the rest of their lives. They can be as ignorant as they want and have a year of college on their resume and not worry about getting a job. Only a few very special women in basketball earn enough over their 10-15 yr professional career to match just one or two years of a male draftee's earnings. Most of them will need jobs after their careers are over and having a college degree really does help!
Jewel will get her degree and play for a NC next year - take it to the bank.

Reaction Score
As much as I dislike ND, I really admire Jewell Loyd. She is the only non-UConn player that I wish wonderful things for. I also believe 100% she will lead the Irish back to the championship game next year. I wish she had chosen UConn.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
ND Sports Information Director was aggravated on twitter about tweets on Jewel possibly joining the WNBA Draft. He was definitive in his response, Jewel is not turning pro this year.

Reaction Score

Somebody went totally pedantic on me once.

ONCE.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I didn't see that coming if true.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics