Jewell Loyd Leaving for WNBA | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Jewell Loyd Leaving for WNBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

HGN

Reaction Score
As much as I dislike Notre Dame and some of their players, I always liked and respected Jewell, both as a player and a person, so this is a big loss for Women's College Basketball in my mind. She has probably been one of my favorite non-UConn players to watch the past few years and I wish her the best moving forward, but man is this a blow for both Notre Dame and WCBB in general. I really hope this doesn't indicate a shift over the next few years as more players declare early and that this is just an isolated decision.

Either way, best of luck Jewell!
I think this will be a new trend CTGirl.........Especially for all those girls who don't see a NC in the picture the next year. I feel that if Jewell hadn' been knocked out by UConn for 3 straight years , and was having fun at ND , she would have stayed. But frustration set in and she possibly felt that next year wasn't going to be any different than this one.........And she probably is right.

Reaction Score
People challenged her on that on twitter. Paraphrasing but her argument was that Stewart was the best player but Loyd had the best season because she was Notre Dame's go-to player every game. She thought Stewart was deserving but thought that Loyd was also deserving and would have liked to seen them at least split awards.
Ok, I'll settle for a three-way split with MoJeff getting one-third of the award. "The Wind" had 100 steals and only 62 turnovers. Isn't that ratio some kind of record?

Reaction Score
Ah, the truth comes out. UConn fans' issues with Skylar were not her facial expressions, it was the fact that she led teams that had the audacity to beat the Huskies on a somewhat regular basis.
I especially disliked her facial expressions after she blocked one of Bria's layups.

Reaction Score
Wow, I'm really disappointed to hear about Jewel l turning pro. ND will definitely fall back a bit.

I am too. This combined with another Notre Dame loss to UCONN, the fact Geno and Muffet have patched things up a little bit, that Notre Dame was pretty gracious in defeat and the fact that a lot of the Notre Dame kids seem genuinely nice (particularly Lloyd) has stirred some compassion in me. I'm not fist pumping that Lloyd is leaving. Is the rivalry coming to an end?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ah, the truth comes out. UConn fans' issues with Skylar were not her facial expressions, it was the fact that she led teams that had the audacity to beat the Huskies on a somewhat regular basis.
Legit reason in my book! In fact it probably started when she had the audacity to stay home and play instead of coming to UCONN. And then there was the time she blew off Holly Rowe and did not want to interview when her team was losing and did she really have to swat at the camera to fix her hair like that and then there are the picture of her in the Bikini and then there is that lame thing she did with Nick Cannon on Wilding Out , and there the car that JayZ bought her for graduation-did we ever verify if she really graduated? and she not all that cute anyway, And then there was that lame skit with Drake-He's not a legit rapper anyway he's from Canada, then there was the Olympic trials and I don't think it was fair that Bria and Stef got sent home before her and then there was the rioting at the HS BB game with her father coaching? well she probably started it or at least she didn't do anything to stop it.... why can't she just pick a hair color and stick with it every time I look up she got new hair- probably not her real hair anyway..... and then there is the suggestively placed tattoo which I could never quite read or make out ......

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I am too. This combined with another Notre Dame loss to UCONN, the fact Geno and Muffet have patched things up a little bit, that Notre Dame was pretty gracious in defeat and the fact that a lot of the Notre Dame kids seem genuinely nice (particularly Lloyd) has stirred some compassion in me. I'm not fist pumping that Lloyd is leaving. Is the rivalry coming to an end?

I'll try and get you riled up before the Huskies come to Columbia next season so that you can have a new team to dislike. :cool: I hope that game is going to take place before the conference season rolls around.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Is there any doubt that Diamond DeShields will turn pro after her Junior year???? I say none!!!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is the rivalry coming to an end?
No I think at best you taking about a 1 year hiatus. Turner appears to be legit. All ND will need is for one of the incoming this year or next to become legit also. I would not bet against either Mabrey or Ogunbowale becoming legit. In one year we are in the (Post Stewie) PS era-much more wide open. Renewed hope for everyone even Lady Vols.

Reaction Score
It was announced that Jewell is making herself available for the N.B.A. draft. I'm not sure how it works, but if she doesn't sign with an agent, it's possible she could withdraw from the draft. Without her, Notre Dame has no chance of winning the National Championship; however, they will once again have a strong team. Turner was impressive in the second half, but she will get a lot more attention without Jewell - double and triple teams.

Reaction Score
No I think at best you taking about a 1 year hiatus. Turner appears to be legit. All ND will need is for one of the incoming this year or next to become legit also. I would not bet against either Mabrey or Ogunbowale becoming legit. In one year we are in the (Post Stewie) PS era-much more wide open. Renewed hope for everyone even Lady Vols.
Was thinking about that last night, that in about 10 months Stewie, Mo, and possibly Tuck will be part of a special pre-game ceremony known as Senior Night. It got me thinking about the championship droughts. There was one after D left, and a mini-drought after Maya left. How long will it be after Stewie leaves? Is next year going to be it for Geno in terms of hanging banners? Or is there another D/Maya/Stewie type player out there waiting to join and start the next run of UConn championships?

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Sorry, but this kind of mistake makes me really fargin angry. It was Joe Piscopo, not Joe Pesche. :)
Omg- I meant Piscopo! :) dat wall, dat wall, and dat fargin wall!!!! Classic!!!!
Morone deported to Sweden! Claims he's not from there! :) thanks!

Reaction Score
I'm curious why you included the freshman class for UConn, Baylor and Tennessee in your evaluations but did not include ND's highly rated freshman class in their evaluation ? Loyd's loss is huge blow to ND but somehow I don't think there will be 4 teams better than they will be next year, much less eight (3rd seed).
BTW. Both Tennessee and South Carolina were #1 seeds in 2014. There's no prohibition in having 2 #1 seeds from the same conference in the NCAA playoffs.
I didn't include them because while they are stellar high school players; few freshman players come into freshman seasons making a great impact; which I don't think they will. I also didn't list them because they weren't included in the FF teams I picked. And FYI South Carolina was a 1-seed, and Tennessee was a 2-seed, it just depends on how many other teams they win or lose to because they'll have to player each other 3 times (twice during conference play, and if they both make it to the conference championship final.) I'm not sure if those fours team I chose will be better than I just guessed, it all depends on if Reimer, Allen, Turner, and Westbeld make huge strides in the games because Mabrey is nothing but a shooter; that's it. I don't see her making any huge jumps. One of the freshman will be needed to come in a fill a huge void left by Loyd, which is not going to happen. Ogunbowale? Maybe. Mabrey or Patberg? No.

Reaction Score
Legit reason in my book! In fact it probably started when she had the audacity to stay home and play instead of coming to UCONN. And then there was the time she blew off Holly Rowe and did not want to interview when her team was losing and did she really have to swat at the camera to fix her hair like that and then there are the picture of her in the Bikini and then there is that lame thing she did with Nick Cannon on Wilding Out , and there the car that JayZ bought her for graduation-did we ever verify if she really graduated? and she not all that cute anyway, And then there was that lame skit with Drake-He's not a legit rapper anyway he's from Canada, then there was the Olympic trials and I don't think it was fair that Bria and Stef got sent home before her and then there was the rioting at the HS BB game with her father coaching? well she probably started it or at least she didn't do anything to stop it.... why can't she just pick a hair color and stick with it every time I look up she got new hair- probably not her real hair anyway..... and then there is the suggestively placed tattoo which I could never quite read or make out .
Hey...tell us how you really feel!

Reaction Score
Hey...tell us how you really feel!
In my book, Skylar is a great player. I like her fierce competitiveness and will to win. We know she committed at least one sin in her life, not coming to UConn. But I suppose Notre Dame was the right school to attend for absolution.

Reaction Score
In my book, Skylar is a great player. I like her fierce competitiveness and will to win. We know she committed at least one sin in her life, not coming to UConn. But I suppose Notre Dame was the right school to attend for absolution.
You have to give Skylar her props. How she was able to guide ND to so many wins against UCONN (noone else has). This is coming from someone who wasn't into WCBB during that period so I missed all those games. I may have watched them but really didn't know who she was. I just thought she was a very attractive girl.

That winning thing hasn't translated to the WNBA but maybe it will. Jewell going to the Storm will make it harder for her though.

Reaction Score
Megan Walker, when added to NC and KLS and Crystal Dangerfield and NB and ... with Geno coaching.

As unlikely as it appears, if we were fortunate enough (please,please) to sign Lauren Cox (2016) and then Walker (2017), on top of Lou, Naph and Crystal... I really think that team would prove to be absolutely unbeatable. For sure. For many years. And the whining from the rest of WCBB would be insufferable. And I would love every beautiful minute of that.

Reaction Score
Is there any doubt that Diamond DeShields will turn pro after her Junior year???? I say none!!!!
Won't she be eligible after the coming season? It's possible that she will play only one year for Tennessee.

Reaction Score
I didn't include them because while they are stellar high school players; few freshman players come into freshman seasons making a great impact; which I don't think they will. I also didn't list them because they weren't included in the FF teams I picked. And FYI South Carolina was a 1-seed, and Tennessee was a 2-seed, it just depends on how many other teams they win or lose to because they'll have to player each other 3 times (twice during conference play, and if they both make it to the conference championship final.) I'm not sure if those fours team I chose will be better than I just guessed, it all depends on if Reimer, Allen, Turner, and Westbeld make huge strides in the games because Mabrey is nothing but a shooter; that's it. I don't see her making any huge jumps. One of the freshman will be needed to come in a fill a huge void left by Loyd, which is not going to happen. Ogunbowale? Maybe. Mabrey or Patberg? No.

This response made less sense than your original post. If "few freshman players come into freshman seasons making a great impact" is accurate, why include freshman in your analysis of Tennessee, Baylor and UConn ? And doesn't that contradict or at least give some doubt to the accuracy of your statement "Te'a Cooper instantly picks up the starting PG position" ?
I understand that you don't think ND is a FF team next year but you did dismiss them without mentioning their freshman class while crediting freshman from other teams as helping (e.g. "they also have some quality post players coming in Mompremier and Brown").
You make a definitive statement "One of the freshman will be needed to come in a fill a huge void left by Loyd, which is not going to happen." Then follow it up with a qualifier " Ogunbowale? Maybe". After reading all this, I'm not sure where you stand on freshman and their effect on their new teams.

Finally, why you are insisting that Tennessee was a 2 seed in 2014 is beyond me. Usually, when an error is pointed out, the general response is to make the correction rather than insisting that the inaccuracy is in fact accurate.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score

Well, she has said she is using her entire eligibility at Tennessee, so I'll take her word for it. It was either on her Twitter or Instagram.

Personally, I think this whole Diamond leaving TN early talk is just wishful thinking by people who don't want Tennessee to do well. There is no difference in her or Tuck's situation. However, many talk about Morgan winning 5 NCs, but Diamond bailing Tennessee as soon as she can.

It's wishful thinking IMO.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think if she was just taking more time to weigh her options, then ND wouldn't have put together that press release with quotes from both her and Muffet.
Probably, I was just kinda putting the possibility out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom