Jeff Jacobs: NCAA investigating UConn men | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: NCAA investigating UConn men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Not sure the whole story yet. But the is hitting the fan for Ollie is the word i hear. He may not be directly involved but this is the out they are looking for
Guarantee UConn leaked it

Reaction Score
Why would any coach want to come work for a school that allows their AD to leak information against his own staff?

Your premise that the AD leaked anything is pure conjecture.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Just when you think it can't get any worse, it does. ...

Hopefully its just Sid Wilson recruiting situation with Sid initiating the conversation with the staff after commiting to SJU.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I believe 100% that Jacobs has good sources and that we're under investigation. But I straight up do not believe that Ollie committed recruiting violations, and hope for his sake (and ours) that he did not.

To the people rooting for that in here... be careful what you wish for.
UCONN confirmed his report. There is no question of the investigation.

Reaction Score
So, I’m guessing the NCAA will be investigating Providence as well for the dirty antics that appear to have happened there with MAL?

For those thinking/hoping this investigation is coming from our AD...you better hope that’s not the case. IF it was, we’d likely be looking for a new AD before a new men’s BB coach. The whole Rhet Lanshlee deal was great, but not one person at UConn can explain how an offensive coordinator from a top 5 team in the country from the SEC took a pay cut to come here for the same job. That was mark #1 on AD David Benedict in my book that something fishy might be going on. Let’s hope this is just St. John’s being salty and nothing else, because if it is our AD or administration they will be gone. There’s zero room for that kind of BS and if we’re trying to rebuild a program there’s a right way and a wrong way to do it.
You do realize that Lashlee was pushed out at Auburn and Benedict helped him with a soft landing at UConn, although at a huge pay cut? It was obvious Lashlee was a short term guy at UConn and would move on quickly.

C

Chief00

I'm not saying you're wrong, but just to be clear - what we're implying is that UConn (administration), either implicitly or explicitly, saw a train coming down the track straight for KO and instead of trying to push him off the tracks, they tied him down. Cool cool. Yep, that's definitely going to attract talent on the court and in the head coaching office.

You are mischaracteizing my post.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
As far as I am concerned Ollie deserves the benefit of the doubt here. I'm not going to argue that he is doing a good job of coaching, but if he gets stiffed from his buyout because of something one of his players or assistants did I am going to feel terrible for the guy.

It's quite possible that we have missed out on recruits and have had kids leave because Ollie was not willing to play dirty.This puts us at a significant disadvantage competition wise. If you get very skilled players into Ollie's system it should work fine, but apparently you have to cheat to get those kids.

Did it get to the point that one of our assistants felt the pressure to land recruits and do something stupid? Did a player do something stupid without the coaches knowledge?

In the end we could have a situation where a husky hero is chased out of town by the fans, labelled as a cheater, essentially set up, and has his contract nullified all while he was trying to play as fair as possible....

I would have been fine with AD DB moving on to the next coach at the end of this season, but unless Ollie did something completely out of line this is not the way it should go down. F the NCAA.

Sometimes I wish I could just stop watching college sports.

Reaction Score
I don’t see how one assumes it’s Wilson. If they screwed around on Wilson why would they appeal when they knew there is a 0% chance he gets the waiver?

If you rob a bank, do you go and try to deposit some in your savings account the next day?
While I tend to agree what if St. John's is pissed and just sent a "request" to the NCAA to sniff around UConn. Does the NCAA have to be provided evidence before they begin sniffing, or can another school simply ask the NCAA to check in on a few things after they lose a school to the University of X?

Reaction Score
From Dom --

This has been building up for awhile it seems:

UConn said it conducted its own “NCAA-mandated internal review” last fall following allegations made against the program, and retained the law firm of Lightfoot, Franklin and White, which specializes in NCAA athletic compliance.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Vance Jackson and the suit guy. I've heard a link for a WHILE now.

Reaction Score
Agreed. And while people continue to use talent and experience as an excuse for this season, they conveniently forget that we were just as bad last year even though we had quite a bit of talent and experience. Of course, there is always a weakazzed response and it ususally has something to do with not enough ballhandlers. We had plenty of ball handlers last year. You don't need Pete Maravich to beat Houston.

And I like how people are so quick to bash anyone that suggests we sue the NCAA. Wasn't the accepted reason for the NCAA caving to UNC that UNC threatened the NCAA with a pack of lawyers?

What a goddamned mess this program is!!!!!!
Watch the replay of the Houston game last year when Adams was out and then try and say ball handling wasn't an issue.

It was so refreshing not having to read any of your crap for a whole day. Did your meds run out or did someone leave your cage unlocked?

Last edited:

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Ugh--UConn's people at UConn Insider can't even read.

It says, "following allegations at men's basketball programs..." Programs PLURAL.

In other words, they hired that firm after the FBI raids to make sure their own program was clean.

So UConn Insider botches the story.

Is that what they meant? I didn't understand it to be like that at all based on how they phased it.

Reaction Score
From Dom --

This has been building up for awhile it seems:

UConn said it conducted its own “NCAA-mandated internal review” last fall following allegations made against the program, and retained the law firm of Lightfoot, Franklin and White, which specializes in NCAA athletic compliance.

It says "made against men's basketball programs" not "the program."

Reaction Score
I heard that it was from the overuse of the dominos 5-5-5 deal the staff ordered to entice students to the game last night.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Then why does the press release say "programs"?

Don't you remember Herbst boasting with certainty that UConn was as clean as can be? This is why. They hired this firm.

Yeah you're right. Saw another tweet and they did say programs. That's, if anything, kind of assuring.

Reaction Score
Regarding Wilson, he announced UConn in early September

Sidney Wilson leaves St. John’s, joins UConn basketball team

Some excerpts from the article - (of course it's not like the Wilson's are going to say any backchannelling went on, but anyway).

“My relationship with the coaching staff,” he said, when asked why he chose the Huskies a second time around. “Before I committed to St. John’s, I had a good feeling on my visit in early May. Coach (Kevin) Ollie wanted me just as much as before, once he found out I was transferring. That’s probably the biggest thing for me. He feels like even if I sit out this year, I can still get better.”

Either way, Wilson and his father, Sidney, Sr., are happy to be with UConn.

“The legacy of the program speaks for itself,” Sidney, Sr. said by phone on Friday. “Coach Ollie’s a stand-up guy. A lot of coaches would have taken it personal. But he was very welcoming. He wanted him again. He always wanted him. That never wavered.”

And neither, apparently, did Wilson’s fondness for UConn.

“They were neck-and-neck,” Wilson, Sr., said of the Huskies and St. John’s. “It came down to coming home and being home. Until the whole aspect of home came into it, (UConn was) probably No. 1.”

I'm going to be on Ollie's side here and assume this isn't about Wilson - or if it is, Ollie personally did nothing wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom