JC Distancing Himself | Page 5 | The Boneyard

JC Distancing Himself

C

Chief00

Good to see @Chief00 demonstrating his faith today in these threads.

Lots of newbies and lurkers on the boards and yet Chief00 is being patient and demonstrating restraint in his comments. Bringing posters to the board and helping broaden perspectives.
The ugliness and accusations being hurled at home aren't affecting him.
Chiefin' ain't easy.

LOL - having to delete a few posts because it’s Casual Fan Tolerance Day. Conceptually, the Casual Fan can do no wrong today. It’s part of welcoming them to be part of UConn Nation. So have fun today! Anything goes for the Casual Fan!

C

Chief00

Interestingly he really likes and understands college football and the Red Sox. Can talk forever about either one.
His wife Pat is an even bigger Red Sox Fan.
Exception: Kevin Youkilis

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I once passed Stevie Wonder in a hotel lobby. He didn’t see me though.

Once, many years ago, I was eating lunch at Roy Rogers. I was having a Double R burger with fries, root beer, and fried chicken. I contemplated ice cream but ultimately chose to not buy any. "Sunshine of My Life" was playing and to this day I can't think of Roy Rogers without also thinking about Stevie Wonder or think about Stevie Wonder without thinking of Roy Rogers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Once, many years ago, I was eating lunch at Roy Rogers. I was having a Double R burger with fries, root beer, and fried chicken. I contemplated ice cream but ultimately chose to not buy any. "Sunshine of My Life" was playing and to this day I can't think of Roy Rogers without also thinking about Stevie Wonder or think about Stevie Wonder without thinking of Roy Rogers.
Life changing moment.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
No. There is only one 'basketball Jesus' for UConn fans:
jesus-shuttlesworth-screenshot.png

he doubles as Judas Shuttlesworth to C's fans

Reaction Score
Going full Pontius Pilate with his comments.

Quoted as saying he and Kevin don't talk much basketball anymore and that there isn't much of any relationship at all.

Axing KO and moving on is fine with JC and it's a message to all former Huskies that this was on KO not on UConn. You can align with UConn on decision and path forward for "cause" and not feel like you are executing one of your own.
There was a surprising rift there going all the way back to 2013. JC said he thought the easiest thing to do as a coach is get a team to play well when there's no pressure on them, as was the case with the 12-13 team. Instead of complimenting KO, he seemed to bristle about how much praise KO was given following that first season. Probably just pride from someone who had built a powerhouse and was having trouble giving up control but that always stuck with me. The fact that their relationship got distant didn't surprise me at all.

Reaction Score
Good luck with that. This is a university that stood behind Calhoun during the Josh Nochimson fiasco.

I'm hoping an agreement can be reached that is palatable to both sides. This isn't good for UConn to have this drag on.

You do realize that any money paid to Ollie in a settlement is money we won't have to attract a new coach? Honestly, I hope he doesn't get a dime, he has selfishly ran this program into the ground! As barren as this roster is, it is going to take at least 3 years to return to respectability.

Reaction Score
I’m not going to assume anything about their personal relationship (nor do I care that much about it).

But I think it’s a pretty damning indictment of KO that from a basketball standpoint, he was able to alienate a HOF mentor who literally handpicked him for the job.

You don’t actually have to assume anything. If you were at the games this year there was virtually co interaction between Calhoun and Ollie. It was pretty obvious.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Boy you really editorialized this to fit your narrative. His quote was

"Kevin and I, from a basketball standpoint, haven’t had an incredibly close relationship the last couple of years,” Calhoun said “In basketball, we’re not talking personally.”

So they don't talk basketball nit the same has having no relationship at all.

The rest of your statement is your own view not anything he said. Facts and context matter.
.i understood from a pretty reliable source about 3 months ago that their whole relationship has soured. I have no idea how true or why, but Calhoun’s comment pretty much hints at that. It would be hard to imagine those two not talking hoops in the context of an otherwise ok relationship. Sad one way or the other.

Reaction Score
Not editorializing anything.

JC had open mic to shape the immediate narrative of how he felt about his hand picked successors firing.

He said they don't talk hoops any more.
He framed it as a basketball performance and UConn is free to do as it pleases.

JC is plenty media savvy and uses his words to advance a narrative. He knows his quotes will he the lead above any others regarding what went wrong.

Everything he chose to say (and chose not to say) was KO isn't getting any top cover from JC.
The other very real possibility is the writer of the article cut and paste what THEY wanted to come across since it is extremely unlikely that the entire interview was transcribed verbatim and chronologically. Taking excerpts to support the writers point is not even a little uncommon.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Wow
We got all these people trying to out know JC and his private life
some of you are full of it
I'll share you a little inside - JC's faith is far deeper than basketball will ever be and he won't talk basketball unless it is brought up and he won't engage in an argument involving basketball - just smile and make a "philosophical" remark - kind of like Tom Selleck in Blue Bloods
He would much rather talk politics or his kids and grandkids when away from the game

Now back to the subject at hand
I think JC is not going to expand much and will distance himself from the KO subject not because he backs the school or KO - because it's the right thing to do as a HoF coach of that school and still involved on a "consultant basis". I think only Jim knows his opinion on this and most likely Pat has no idea - it really should be that way

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Everyone here has
Saw ollie in the grocery store last week. Pulled away in a black lexus. I guess makikng 3 mil a year, he can afford 2 lol

Diaco drove a black Lexus G f sport, it’s one of his only good decisions he made when he was at UConn.

Reaction Score
For JC and KO to be on non speaking terms for a while now is a huge red flag. JC obviously didnt agree with KO way and distanced himself. I was an ollie supporter but when i heard of this distant relationship with JC and the inept recruiting methods i knew he had to go and go asap!
I'm sure both are at fault so who knows the full story other than them. I think JC is a very type A personality who wants things done his way and after winning a championship KO probably got a big head and didn't think he needed help as much anymore. The bottom line is KO's way didn't work and we've got a new regime to look forward to. I think we need to leverage JC and our NBA players better to get kids excited to play here again. With a HOF coach, top facilities and a long list of NBA players to leverage we're much better than the low mid major we've watched the past 4 years.

Reaction Score
.i understood from a pretty reliable source about 3 months ago that their whole relationship has soured. I have no idea how true or why, but Calhoun’s comment pretty much hints at that. It would be hard to imagine those two not talking hoops in the context of an otherwise ok relationship. Sad one way or the other.
The game Larry Brown attended to give KO support pretty much told us everything we needed to know. He had a Hall of Fame coach at his disposal already but ruined the relationship so badly that he had to call in a coach who was constantly in trouble during his college stops.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom