JC Distancing Himself | Page 2 | The Boneyard

JC Distancing Himself

Reaction Score
Going full Pontius Pilate with his comments.

Quoted as saying he and Kevin don't talk much basketball anymore and that there isn't much of any relationship at all.

Axing KO and moving on is fine with JC and it's a message to all former Huskies that this was on KO not on UConn. You can align with UConn on decision and path forward for "cause" and not feel like you are executing one of your own.
Source?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Quoted as saying he and Kevin don't talk much basketball anymore and that there isn't much of any relationship at all.

Axing KO and moving on is fine with JC and it's a message to all former Huskies that this was on KO not on UConn. You can align with UConn on decision and path forward for "cause" and not feel like you are executing one of your own.

So Ollie is Jesus? You can’t make up this lunacy. He’s a terrible coach who has been grossly derelict in his duties. He’s Judas if anything. With JCs blessing or not, I’m 100% behind the school. I hope Ollie doesn’t get a penny.

Reaction Score
So Ollie is Jesus? You can’t make up this lunacy. He’s a terrible coach who has been grossly derelict in his duties. He’s Judas if anything. With JCs blessing or not, I’m 100% behind the school. I hope Ollie doesn’t get a penny.
Good luck with that. This is a university that stood behind Calhoun during the Josh Nochimson fiasco.

I'm hoping an agreement can be reached that is palatable to both sides. This isn't good for UConn to have this drag on.

Reaction Score
I don't have a strong opinion either way...but Bill Snyder went back to K State in 2009 at 70....he's going to coach in 2018

My assumption is that coaching/recruiting 85 kids for FB is a lot more demanding than BBall

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
I don't have a strong opinion either way...but Bill Snyder went back to K State in 2009 at 70....he's going to coach in 2018

My assumption is that coaching/recruiting 85 kids for FB is a lot more demanding than BBall
Calhoun would be starting the process at age 76. I don’t know much about Snyder but did he have a history of health issues causing him to miss games before he went back?

Reaction Score
He's the perfect bridge.
Having a 3 time National Championship HOFer on the sideline would make the league a little bit less of an issue too to recruits.
I'm pretty sure JC hasn't forgotten how to coach too.
And ticket sales would jump with the fanbase back on board.
Plus him giving Uconn an Edsall deal would be appealing to the Athletic Dept. Budget.

I know I'm biased on this but.........
Quite Frankly it's the right move.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

No tool.

The reference is to washing yourself clean from a decision process going forward.

Reaction Score
My wish list is:

1. Geno
2. Hurley
3. Everyone else

We would dominate the news cycle for months. If Geno won on the men’s side there’s low risk of him taking another job anywhere. Getting him to take it on is another story.

I have no idea if Geno would work out. But if he was motivated to give it a try I say bring Chris Dailey with him, fill out the staff with the best available and hire Rizzotti from GW to Coach the women. Geno is right down the hall if needed. Done.

Reaction Score
He has a super reputation around here. I don't wanna see him come back and perhaps tarnish it with some struggles we could potentially face in the conference and in the situation we're in. Let the legend live on his own!

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I have no idea if Geno would work out. But if he was motivated to give it try I say bring Chris Dailey with him, fill out the staff with the best available and hire Rizzotti from GW to Coach the women. Geno is right down the hall if needed. Done.

Geno pretty much shot it down yesterday... In the courant article.

Reaction Score

Boy you really editorialized this to fit your narrative. His quote was

"Kevin and I, from a basketball standpoint, haven’t had an incredibly close relationship the last couple of years,” Calhoun said “In basketball, we’re not talking personally.”

So they don't talk basketball nit the same has having no relationship at all.

The rest of your statement is your own view not anything he said. Facts and context matter.

C

Chief00

If you go back and read my Chief Briefs this season (and I am not recommending you do that) you will see I focused on the game and basketball. While I criticized various coaching moves, I tried to treat Kevin in an even handed way. Despite, his record the last couple of years, I have said he could be successful again if he had some pro talent to fit into his 2000 - 2012 type pro system. However, his current talent could not sustain that type of system.

Reaction Score

"Kevin and I, from a basketball standpoint, haven’t had an incredibly close relationship the last couple of years,” Calhoun said “In basketball, we’re not talking personally.”

The rest of your statement is your own view not anything he said. Facts and context matter.
I’m not going to assume anything about their personal relationship (nor do I care that much about it).

But I think it’s a pretty damning indictment of KO that from a basketball standpoint, he was able to alienate a HOF mentor who literally handpicked him for the job.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

KState, the home of champions.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If you go back and read my Chief Briefs this season (and I am not recommending you do that) you will see I focused on the game and basketball. While I criticized various coaching moves, I tried to treat Kevin in an even handed way. Despite, his record the last couple of years, I have said he could be successful again if he had some pro talent to fit into his 2000 - 2012 type pro system. However, his current talent could not sustain that type of system.

C

Chief00

Other than family, if you don’t talk basketball with him you probably won’t have much of a relationship. He’s a HOF coach who loves the game.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Did Jim talk to RI players more than he did Uconn players?

If so, that would be a telling sign.

I know he wasn't courtside very much, I'm not sure I've seen him this year. Maybe one game.

I know other variables are in play too, so that could all be meaningless

Reaction Score
Other than family, if you don’t talk basketball with him you probably won’t have much of a relationship. He’s a HOF coach who loves the game.
Wow after speaking with him at a few non-basketball events years ago I found him quite passionate about issues non basketball related. Never looked at him as that one dimensional.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This has been in the wind for a while.

It now appears that either JC was not buying into KO's ultimately failed philosophy of positionless basketball without the luxury of Kevin Durant or Stef Curry or that KO didn't want JC hovering in the gym.

Results matter and the results have been incredibly bad since 2014 in every measure possible, losses, recruiting, locker room, probably NCAA violations, and perhaps even conduct.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He's not coming back, but if he did it would be for life.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom