JC Distancing Himself | Page 3 | The Boneyard

JC Distancing Himself

Reaction Score
At 76 this May, it's difficult to envision Calhoun wanting the rigors of being the HC again. Long days spent in hot summer gyms scouting, recruiting trips, media commitments; the job is exhausting. At the X's & O's level he's our man but these issues compounded with the uncertainty in recruiting (could an 18 year old be assured Calhoun will see him through to Senior year?) will leave a lot of us disappointed. Please read through the archives on the BY and rehash the calls for a new, younger voice circa 2010. Calhoun's gilded history at UConn is something to be celebrated however it's in everyone's best interested to consider the full complexity of being a head coach in 2018.
Jim had a great relationship with chill some years ago. Perhaps he could be the one in waiting and not off the tree.

Reaction Score
Wow after speaking with him at a few non-basketball events years ago I found him quite passionate about issues non basketball related. Never looked at him as that one dimensional.
I'm gonna call b.s. on that as well.

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun - Never bet against that !

There are too many rumblings for it to not be a possibility. I won't put my stamp on it just yet but things are happening.

Reaction Score
If you go back and read my Chief Briefs this season (and I am not recommending you do that) you will see I focused on the game and basketball. While I criticized various coaching moves, I tried to treat Kevin in an even handed way. Despite, his record the last couple of years, I have said he could be successful again if he had some pro talent to fit into his 2000 - 2012 type pro system. However, his current talent could not sustain that type of system.
My biggest fear is Kevin thinks he needs to prove his abilities as a College Coach and his teams beat us in some big NCAA games.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Boy you really editorialized this to fit your narrative. His quote was

"Kevin and I, from a basketball standpoint, haven’t had an incredibly close relationship the last couple of years,” Calhoun said “In basketball, we’re not talking personally.”

So they don't talk basketball nit the same has having no relationship at all.

The rest of your statement is your own view not anything he said. Facts and context matter.

Not editorializing anything.

JC had open mic to shape the immediate narrative of how he felt about his hand picked successors firing.

He said they don't talk hoops any more.
He framed it as a basketball performance and UConn is free to do as it pleases.

JC is plenty media savvy and uses his words to advance a narrative. He knows his quotes will he the lead above any others regarding what went wrong.

Everything he chose to say (and chose not to say) was KO isn't getting any top cover from JC.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Yeah if you actually ever met and talked to Jim you’d know he can discuss anything with anybody. Basketball or not, he has an opinion and likes to talk unless you’re stupid.

Reaction Score
Not editorializing anything.

JC had open mic to shape the immediate narrative of how he felt about his hand picked successors firing.

He said they don't talk hoops any more.
He framed it as a basketball performance and UConn is free to do as it pleases.

JC is plenty media savvy and uses his words to advance a narrative. He knows his quotes will he the lead above any others regarding what went wrong.

Everything he chose to say (and chose not to say) was KO isn't getting any top cover from JC.
Exactly! And, notice, he is not even hinting that firing him with cause is a bad idea. He is basically supporting the university's actions here. All of them.

Reaction Score
Geno? Seriously? He said anyone who thinks he should be the men's coach "should have their head examined". I agree.

Reaction Score
Forgot the quote, I meant on the statement made you disagreed with.
I was agreeing with you.
Terrible grammar on my part.
Thsnks for clarifying

C

Chief00

This is nonsense, JC has been all over in support of many non-basketball causes.

Casual Fan Tolerance Day

In that spirit, I will begin by saying of course Jim has supported various charity both in regards to funding and in deeds. That has all been documented for decades.

He also follows politics or other current topics and can converse intelligently about them.

He also likes to go out with friends after a W and he will chat about golf.

However, the core of his life is family, faith and basketball. Anyone who doesn’t know that, doesn’t know him. Those are his passions.

Reaction Score
Other than family, if you don’t talk basketball with him you probably won’t have much of a relationship. He’s a HOF coach who loves the game.
You don’t him very well. Maybe at all. I’m sure you’ve met him, but don’t confuse that with knowing him. Golf, theater, politics, cardiology...he’s passionate and very well versed in all of those subjects. He can love the game AND have a much broader set of interests than basketball. That you couldn’t break through that is on you.

C

Chief00

Calhoun retired for health reasons; 7 years ago.

Some of you are out of your minds.

Those are behind him. It’s 2018, we need to be more enlighten about people who had health issues. It’s not a valid reason to hold them back from opportunity.

Reaction Score
Casual Fan Tolerance Day

In that spirit, I will begin by saying of course Jim has supported various charity both in regards to funding and in deeds. That has all been documented for decades.

He also follows politics or other current topics and can converse intelligently about them.

He also likes to go out with friends after a W and he will chat about golf.

However, the core of his life is family, faith and basketball. Anyone who doesn’t know that, doesn’t know him. Those are his passions.
Anyone who puts his faith in the top three has only met him at the annual Franciscan Life banquet. You’re wrong. He is indeed a proud Irish Catholic, but he has many other interests and concerns that would rank above his faith.

C

Chief00

Casual Fan Tolerance Day?

Who the h... are you to decide who is casual and who isn't. Who annointed you as the one to make that proclamation?

Love your attitude!

Maybe you should have been giving the halftime locker room talks this season!

Last edited by a moderator:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Those are behind him. It’s 2018, we need to be more enlighten about people who had health issues. It’s not a valid reason to hold them back from opportunity.

With all due respect Chief, a 70 year olds health improving when not running a D1 hoop program full time isn't a reason to jump back into the game.

C

Chief00

. He is indeed a proud Irish Catholic, but he has many other interests and concerns that would rank above his faith.
Faith is definitely in his the top 3, probably even ahead of basketball. His strong faith drives his charity work and his Father Flanagan persona trying to turn around player’s lives. While he is a proud Irish Catholic - his faith and the goodness of it can be related to by people of all denominations.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom