JC Distancing Himself | Page 6 | The Boneyard

JC Distancing Himself

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The game Larry Brown attended to give KO support pretty much told us everything we needed to know. He had a Hall of Fame coach at his disposal already but ruined the relationship so badly that he had to call in a coach who was constantly in trouble during his college stops.
If the relationship is ruined, I’m not sure how to ascribe fault. Sometimes relationships fall apart. Also,Calhoun doesn’t have the easiest personality in the world. I wouldn’t necessarily conclude that one or the other is the cause.

C

Chief00

Wow
We got all these people trying to out know JC and his private life
some of you are full of it
I'll share you a little inside - JC's faith is far deeper than basketball will ever be and he won't talk basketball unless it is brought up and he won't engage in an argument involving basketball - just smile and make a "philosophical" remark - kind of like Tom Selleck in Blue Bloods
He would much rather talk politics or his kids and grandkids when away from the game

Now back to the subject at hand
I think JC is not going to expand much and will distance himself from the KO subject not because he backs the school or KO - because it's the right thing to do as a HoF coach of that school and still involved on a "consultant basis". I think only Jim knows his opinion on this and most likely Pat has no idea - it really should be that way
As I said, I agree it’s 1) Family, 2) Faith and then basketball.
As far as talking basketball - I will address that tomorrow - since today has been proclaimed Casual Fan Tolerance Day - but it depends who he’s talking to. Quite frankly, I will break it down tomorrow.

C

Chief00

Also,Calhoun doesn’t have the easiest personality in the world. I wouldn’t necessarily conclude that one or the other is the cause.

You don’t say LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Hmmmmm....this took a strange turn. Six degrees of JC? When I lived in Ct, my wife picked me up for work. She always used to say the security guard gave her a weird vibe. Turns out he was arrested for killing someone who was associated with the men's team.

Reaction Score
Anyone who puts his faith in the top three has only met him at the annual Franciscan Life banquet. You’re wrong. He is indeed a proud Irish Catholic, but he has many other interests and concerns that would rank above his faith.
see JC as keynote speaker this Friday's St. Patrick's Archdiocese of Hartford breakfast

Reaction Score
I’m not going to assume anything about their personal relationship (nor do I care that much about it).

But I think it’s a pretty damning indictment of KO that from a basketball standpoint, he was able to alienate a HOF mentor who literally handpicked him for the job.
BINGO....My guess the frosting on the cake was the firing of Glen Miller a JC favorite. The first guy he hired after getting the St. Joe's consultant position. Nobody mentions it but that had to PO JC big time...

My biggest fear is Kevin thinks he needs to prove his abilities as a College Coach and his teams beat us in some big NCAA games.

No attack but why would you think and not know KO needs to prove his abilities as a college coach? This scenario needs two things to change big time, first KO will have to start from an assistants position again. Nobody D1 is going to be hiring KO as a head coach anytime soon. Second and more important UConn has to get back to making the NCAA tourney. ;)

Reaction Score
Casual Fan Tolerance Day?

Who the h... are you to decide who is casual and who isn't. Who anointed you as the one to make that proclamation?

Not advanced in the computer sciences but darn good at analyzing evidence in many forms. My best educated guess is Chief is Mike Francesa.
That or possibly just an understudy...:D

C

Chief00

Hmmmmm....this took a strange turn. Six degrees of JC? When I lived in Ct, my wife picked me up for work. She always used to say the security guard gave her a weird vibe. Turns out he was arrested for killing someone who was associated with the men's team.

Please help me out - what is the point of your post?

Reaction Score
If the relationship is ruined, I’m not sure how to ascribe fault. Sometimes relationships fall apart. Also,Calhoun doesn’t have the easiest personality in the world. I wouldn’t necessarily conclude that one or the other is the cause.
Very fair post, it takes two to tango and it’s very conceivable Calhoun was mostly to blame. As they say, never get into business with friends or family. Not you have a very fractured relationship between two guys who were like father and son. I really hope the next coach has no ties to UConn.

Reaction Score

Very fair post, it takes two to tango and it’s very conceivable Calhoun was mostly to blame. As they say, never get into business with friends or family. Not you have a very fractured relationship between two guys who were like father and son. I really hope the next coach has no ties to UConn.

Really. You do understand one party needed the other, and not the other way around. You're telling me Kevin Ollie, potentially needing the tutelage of a HOF coach may have decided, "Eh, I don't need that help, this guy is really just a PITA." You're sticking with that as an equally likely possibility here ?

LOL, indeed.

Reaction Score
BINGO....My guess the frosting on the cake was the firing of Glen Miller a JC favorite. The first guy he hired after getting the St. Joe's consultant position. Nobody mentions it but that had to PO JC big time...

No attack but why would you think and not know KO needs to prove his abilities as a college coach? This scenario needs two things to change big time, first KO will have to start from an assistants position again. Nobody D1 is going to be hiring KO as a head coach anytime soon. Second and more important UConn has to get back to making the NCAA tourney. ;)
Hope you're right.

Reaction Score

I don’t think a lower level head coaching job in college would be in his best interests
The GM personal thing is a weakness.
The NBA is his best avenue.back to making substantial money.
He has to be committed to it though.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Really. You do understand one party needed the other, and not the other way around. You're telling me Kevin Ollie, potentially needing the tutelage of a HOF coach may have decided, "Eh, I don't need that help, this guy is really just a PITA." You're sticking with that as an equally likely possibility here ?

LOL, indeed.

Did I say that? You have a point of view that assumes way more than I said. Give me your cocksure sources. Not everyone thinks like you. Not Calhoun, not Ollie. That it had to do with hoops I have no doubt. My kids might need me more than I need them, but it doesn’t stop them from being stupid. Everything in life isn’t necessarily transactional and many things in life involve ego.

Reaction Score
see JC as keynote speaker this Friday's St. Patrick's Archdiocese of Hartford breakfast
Don’t misconstrue my comment about his faith not being in the top 3 priorities of his life to be synonymous with him not being a loyal, caring Catholic. I never said he was atheist. The fact that he is involved with some Catholic organizations/events doesn’t equate to his priorities. He does FAR more for the UConn Health Center and Cancer-based charities so I wouldn’t get on a high horse trying to prove me wrong with a Friday morning breakfast.

He is a man who gives back. He has a strong sense of responsibility to do that that isn’t necessarily driven by faith. He’s had many people help him in his life (like his high school coach - which drove him to get into coaching in the first place) and he believes that he too can(and should) help others with the platform he’s achieved. It’s a far greater sense of responsibility than it is faith.

Reaction Score
As I said, I agree it’s 1) Family, 2) Faith and then basketball.
As far as talking basketball - I will address that tomorrow - since today has been proclaimed Casual Fan Tolerance Day - but it depends who he’s talking to. Quite frankly, I will break it down tomorrow.
Are you someone he would consider a friend? Would he know your name if I mentioned it to him? Have you spent time with him or his family? His circle of friends is small so before you continue to speak as if you know him better than anyone on this forum, let me know. I’m curious.

Reaction Score

Don’t be so sure someone won’t give a National Championship winning coach at shot.

Reaction Score
Don’t be so sure someone won’t give a National Championship winning coach at shot.

Any AD is going to look at the total body of work. Yes he was at the helm that won a NC, this with JC players. From there it went down hill at breakneck speed. He lost three top notch players via a walk out along with a recruit doing the same. The past two seasons have us looking like the teams that had a hard time competing in the old Yankee Conference.
He will get a job of course, but if it is as a D1 head coach anytime soon I will eat any and all crow you want to feed me. ;)

Reaction Score
Are you someone he would consider a friend? Would he know your name if I mentioned it to him? Have you spent time with him or his family? His circle of friends is small so before you continue to speak as if you know him better than anyone on this forum, let me know. I’m curious.
Had to know his name to write it on the restraining order.

Reaction Score

LOL, indeed.

It is possible that Kevin was so full of himself after winning the National Championship that he drifted away. It's also conceivable that he wanted to show the world he's his own man.
And it's also conceivable that Kevin didn't know how much he didn't know about building and managing a major program. After all, he never managed anything of consequence before. He was a player in a league where people are there to do everything for you and then became an assistant with limited responsibilities and staff to assist him.
He looks overwhelmed to me. Compare his photo with Ray Allen that Ray posted to the ones of him on the sidelines this year. He looks beat up, puffy eyed, often with no tie. His first few years he looked healthy, rested, energetic and was always well dressed. He has been in over his head but may be too strong willed to admit it and resign. It's a hard thing to do when you have been successful in other endeavors.

C

Chief00

Don’t misconstrue my comment about his faith not being in the top 3 priorities of his life to be synonymous with him not being a loyal, caring Catholic. I never said he was atheist. The fact that he is involved with some Catholic organizations/events doesn’t equate to his priorities. He does FAR more for the UConn Health Center and Cancer-based charities so I wouldn’t get on a high horse trying to prove me wrong with a Friday morning breakfast.

He is a man who gives back. He has a strong sense of responsibility to do that that isn’t necessarily driven by faith. He’s had many people help him in his life (like his high school coach - which drove him to get into coaching in the first place) and he believes that he too can(and should) help others with the platform he’s achieved. It’s a far greater sense of responsibility than it is faith.
My BY colleague, you have backtracked from your original position into an even sillier one. You seem unable to distinguish between cause and effect. Jim’s core faith is based on principles that makes all the good things he does come naturally. You seem to be hung up on his denomination - what I am saying about Jim would be true if he was Jewish or Protestant, etc. But, Jim is a man of deep faith, he just doesn’t wear it on his sleeve like KO did. However, there is substance there - deep waters as George use to say.

My friend, you were the dude as recently as Wednesday saying KO’s job was basically safe and Chief wasn’t at some donor breakfast. Chief has been a donor for 28 years, went to a couple donor events and stopped. Nothing against them or the people who go. It’s just not my style. I prefer smaller, informal and more personal interactions. Just for the record, my relationship with Calhoun has zero to do with being a donor.

Footnote: Casual Fan Tolerance Day is over until 3/11 next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I am starting to believe you barely know Jim Calhoun at all. You have backtracked from your original position into an even sillier one. You seem unable to distinguish between cause and effect. Jim’s core faith is based on principles that makes all the good things he does come naturally. You seem to be hung up on his denomination - what I am saying about Jim would be true if he was Jewish or Protestant, etc.

Footnote: Casual Fan Tolerance Day is over until 3/11 next year.

And here I was thinking you were a bat$hit crazy fraud all this time.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom