Javonte Brown-Ferguson Reclass? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Javonte Brown-Ferguson Reclass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No one will be kicked out, but I don't think it's out of the question that there may be a grad transfer looking for more playing time in his final season.

I don't think we have any graduating juniors or seniors with eligibility left (besides Al).

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I don't think we have any graduating juniors or seniors with eligibility left (besides Al).
We’ve also approached this class as if it were going to be a 2 or 3 recruit class, we aren’t recruiting that many kids...

Reaction Score
That is correct. It would have to be a "mutual" decision for a current scholarship player to leave and another schollie to free up for a 4th 2020. And no way does Hurley and staff force someone out. Not his style and a bad look for him and the program.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score

At the end of the coming season, Whaley, Polley, Carlton, and Sid Wilson will all have been in school 3 years, and all four may have credits to graduate next May since they've been attending summer classes in addition to academic year classes. All will have 1 (or in the case of Sid, 2) years of eligibility remaining. I'm not predicting that one of them will grad transfer, but it's not out of the question. Grad transfers of players who are leaving a backup/minor role to gain a starting/major role are fairly common in college basketball. Carlton will not be a backup, but the others probably will be, and a couple of them may be out of the rotation.

Re Hurley's support for his players, which I love, it's a totally different situation when a guy can grad transfer and not have to sit out a year. Hurley is in no way harming a player if he lets him know his situation and his opportunity to get more minutes elsewhere. That's just the reality of high major college basketball.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
FWIW Markief is/was not a center

He played the 5 a fair amount and was listed as a C when recruited out of HS. Agree he's not a prototypical center.

Reaction Score
Let’s hope whichever center signs has a better career than our last top center signing Zach brown....
Never signed. Just a verbal. Thank God. Although St. John's wasn't as lucky. He signed there.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
At the end of the coming season, Whaley, Polley, Carlton, and Sid Wilson will all have been in school 3 years, and all four may have credits to graduate next May since they've been attending summer classes in addition to academic year classes. All will have 1 (or in the case of Sid, 2) years of eligibility remaining. I'm not predicting that one of them will grad transfer, but it's not out of the question. Grad transfers of players who are leaving a backup/minor role to gain a starting/major role are fairly common in college basketball. Carlton will not be a backup, but the others probably will be, and a couple of them may be out of the rotation.

Re Hurley's support for his players, which I love, it's a totally different situation when a guy can grad transfer and not have to sit out a year. Hurley is in no way harming a player if he lets him know his situation and his opportunity to get more minutes elsewhere. That's just the reality of high major college basketball.

We are in the Big East next year. No way anyone leaves!

Reaction Score
That is correct. It would have to be a "mutual" decision for a current scholarship player to leave and another schollie to free up for a 4th 2020. And no way does Hurley and staff force someone out. Not his style and a bad look for him and the program.
I agree that if Hurley wasn’t willing to force anyone out this year, there’s no reason to think he’d force anyone out next year. I agree with him not driving players away. Of course, if a player plays less than they’d like this year, they might be more willing to consider other options next year.

As much as I want Gilbert to play for us in the Big East, I will understand if he moves on after he graduates. In that case, I’d love for everyone to develop well and find a role and simply bring in a 3-player class next year.

Reaction Score

About his Kansas visit:

“Kansas was great,” he said by text. “They said they want me. They need two bigs. They said if Gethro [Muscadin] and Isaiah Toddsign then it wouldn’t be the best thing for me to come.”

Nothing screams “we want you” like being the third wheel. Hopefully he comes where he’s truly wanted.

Reaction Score
The Grind continues for Door #2.

1570497782628.gif

Reaction Score

About his Kansas visit:

“Kansas was great,” he said by text. “They said they want me. They need two bigs. They said if Gethro [Muscadin] and Isaiah Toddsign then it wouldn’t be the best thing for me to come.”

Nothing screams “we want you” like being the third wheel. Hopefully he comes where he’s truly wanted.

Is you is or is you ain't my baby.

Reaction Score

About his Kansas visit:

Todd cut to 2, with Kansas being 1 of the 2.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
UConn not in with Todd. But he's one of the guys that would dissuade Javonte Brown Ferguson from committing to Kansas.

Ahh I read your post wrong. I thought "Todd" was mispelled "Told". As in "Told [Javonte Brown Ferguson] cut to 2, with Kansas being 1 of the 2."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have a feeling we may get Brown Ferguson and be glad we did. Just a hunch.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We just have to trust the staff, they are very good and know way more about this stuff than any of us do.

You could float a continent through the gap between what they know and what anyone here knows.

I don't know why anyone would put any actual weight on the player reviews here.

C

Chief00

I agree that if Hurley wasn’t willing to force anyone out this year, there’s no reason to think he’d force anyone out next year. I agree with him not driving players away. Of course, if a player plays less than they’d like this year, they might be more willing to consider other options next year.

As much as I want Gilbert to play for us in the Big East, I will understand if he moves on after he graduates. In that case, I’d love for everyone to develop well and find a role and simply bring in a 3-player class next year.
Hurley didn’t force anyone out but worked to get Diarra a medical waiver that freed up a scholarship. When a guy transfers it also doesn’t necessarily mean Hurley forced someone out. He may just want more playing time. Again, Chief to fans, 3 is the minimum size of this class.

Reaction Score
As always, really going out on a limb to give us that valuable information.

Napheesa is always going out on a limb to risk her own career - to give us what I was hoping to hear... 'more than 2'. There is some terrific talent out there. We can't miss out on - as we begin to restore a great program built by JC and staff... into a storied program. Geno has also done an amazing job as well. I also think CD is a critical component to Geno's masterpiece. When I wear a UCONN shirt, here in FL, the conversation always gets to basketball...within 30 seconds. Especially when you encounter Florida and UK fans... There is tremendous respect for our university among them... even if they're not always happy. Hurley was the correct choice - imo. Let's watch where this goes... with real optimism.

Reaction Score
You could float a continent through the gap between what they know and what anyone here knows.

I don't know why anyone would put any actual weight on the player reviews here.
True...but, no one here can convince me that Cole is not a special talent. Although, I'll leave it to the staff - they know what they are doing - I'm just a fan.

Reaction Score
Napheesa is always going out on a limb to risk her own career - to give us what I was hoping to hear... 'more than 2'. There is some terrific talent out there. We can't miss out on - as we begin to restore a great program built by JC and staff... into a storied program. Geno has also done an amazing job as well. I also think CD is a critical component to Geno's masterpiece. When I wear a UCONN shirt, here in FL, the conversation always gets to basketball...within 30 seconds. Especially when you encounter Florida and UK fans... There is tremendous respect for our university among them... even if they're not always happy. Hurley was the correct choice - imo. Let's watch where this goes... with real optimism.
Uhhh..... what?

Reaction Score
Hurley posted an Instagram story of him in a plane yesterday, likely doing some recruiting. Anyone know who he might be visiting? Maybe Cam before his official?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom